Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't we eat the animals from the new Cottage EP?

Comments

• Options
    Phantasi33Phantasi33 Posts: 181 Member
    Peral wrote: »
    Well you do not have to slaughter the animals it is up to each player. Another thing will the fox hunt and kill the chickens?! If so how soon do you think it will be nerfed?!

They said wild foxes will only appear on your farm if you have the "wild fox" lot trait enabled. If you don't want to deal with it, you don't have to use the lot trait so I'm not worried about nerfing.
  • Options
    SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 164 Member
    I actually agree with many who already said it – slaughtering animals just isn’t (have never been) the franchise’s cup of tea. So I don’t think the devs have come to this decision this time to please any specific group. It's a bit funny how eager we players are to point fingers on specific groups when there is even a slightest possibility. Only reading through this thread shows that there are at least as many meat-eaters not wanting to see it in their game as vegetarians agreeing with them and vice versa. So maybe it's not the diet that determines how people think about this topic showing up in games.

Even as a vegetarian, I personally wouldn't mind bringing such dimension to the game. My vegetarian sims wouldn't probably slaughter their llamas, some of my other sims maybe would. Not all of my sims share my values or way of life. Maybe I would actually prefer my meat-eating sims eat their own, ethically, lovingly nurtured animals, knowing their life was good. Now, they can just go and buy the meat from stalls pretending there is no connection between the delicious beef in their plate and their beloved, sweater-wearing cow friend back yard. Oh those double standards! :wink: If my sims want to exploit their animals, they have to be able to see the process themselves. No hiding the dirty work behind rabbit hole slaughterhouses or clean and nice meat stalls.

I have to admit I got this image of meating machine in my mind (as big as telescope and microscope, at least, of course) that absorbs the cows inside like hoovers suck the poor dust bunnies and works like birthing machine, finding predictable and... not-so-predictable things before the final product comes out. During the process, similarly to likes and dislikes, depending on the sim's current emotions or traits, the pop-up shows up asking if this sim wants to keep eating meat or start living a vegetarian life :D

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2021
    In all honesty right now, do you really think the Sims team would agree to having the player take the animals, dissapear and then come back with pieces of meat in his inventory?
    Even if you don't see the slaughtering, just the fact that animals dissapear and pieces of meat suddenly appear in your invetory is pretty grim itself.

I just think they had no way to implement this concept without making it so sad and grim.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    Also I believe the "if we need meat to survive or not" discussions have no place in this thread. It only creates arguements because for some reason people get super defensive when the word vegeterian or vegan drops. It's a valid lifestyle that doesn't hurt you. No need to start a rant.
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited June 2021
    "Why can't we eat the animals from the new Cottage EP?"
    Because they're all just zeroes and ones, and would probably taste awfully digital...
    I just had to :D However, the silly answer does reflect my feelings on the silly reasons given for not being able to simply harvest meat from the livestock in that new pack.
  • Options
    simp0ssiblesimp0ssible Posts: 70 Member
    It would be a little weird to get meat from your own animals in the Sims. I will argue that milking cows or taking away eggs from hens aren't exactly innocent or non-violent actions, on principle. But meat is kind of on the nose.
    I love meat, but it would be comfortable if we can buy it outside, at the Grocery store, like someone mentioned above.
  • Options
    mewo13mewo13 Posts: 60 Member
    edited June 2021
    They would never put this in a game, but allowing sims to butcher animals would actually help the vegan/vegetarian narrative, not harm it. Meat is so easy for us to consume because they come in clean, plastic packaging in the happy neighborhood grocery store. How many more middle-class people, especially the empathetic ones, would give up meat if they saw how brutal the process was? Imagine raising a sim cow, getting attached to it, then getting the option to end its life and eat it for dinner or sell it off. That could affect how people perceive their real life choices, and it's not too on the nose like how most vegetarian pleas are, that just makes people roll their eyes. Not everyone will obviously be affected by it. The ones who won't care obviously won't care either way, but you might be able to sway some people when they're confronted with reality (albeit in the form of a simulation)

For the record, I'm not a vegetarian. I totally understand the lifestyle though. It's just how I see it.
    Post edited by mewo13 on
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    edited June 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I mean, to put it simply into two words: Vegans & Children. But to go into a more elaborative comment, it would be because they've decided to make this pack a more Old McDonald type farm, where it's a more idyllic, storybook and wholesome view of farm-life. Where animals are raised more as pets rather than produce, which is strange because I know farmers irl who actually have pet versions of the animals they keep and kill for produce/food. But w/e, can't have it both ways it seems. :neutral:

Minecraft is age 7 up I believe, and you can get meat from you animals it you want to. Our children see violence on the tv every day…… yet they can’t can’t play a game where they learn where their meat comes from? I wish we could have at least had cows be able to reproduce like chickens so that we could sell them to buy meat and other food products.

Did you not have the cows and chickens in Sims 3? It was the same - you couldn't eat them so this shouldn't be a surprise. It's not about protecting kids from violence, but just keeping with the fun/silly spirit of the game (or at least that's what the devs implied years ago when this was asked). In Minecraft you can make weapons and kill each other too, not just animals - and everything looks like a block. The Sims has more uncanny valley vibes and so sims murdering other sims and animals directly isn't a thing. There's no combat and respawn system in this game.

I have played stardew valley too, and yes in the mines you kill monsters too, with swords and other weapons, and they drop things when they die. But, I don’t want to kill the animals with a sword. I just wanted to be able to have them reproduce and be able to sell them or have them exchanged for meat…… like they do fish for food, or frogs for bait. I don’t want to see violence, just an exchange, like they already do for fish and frogs. And no, I did not play sims 3 very long, I didn’t like the rabbit holes so I stopped playing early. But, my daughter did play the sims 3 and she said she was hoping that the animals wouldn’t be like the sims 3 version either, that they could reproduce and we could sell them, or have them replaced with meat.
  • Options
    OrianasSimSOrianasSimS Posts: 17 Member
    I agree with the point of no needing the killing part. But if you can use the fish to prepare food in the game, and you don't see the sims preparing the fish, you could have a way of using the meat too. Doesn't need to be graphic, or bloody, or even offend anyone. But maybe they didn't do this because of all the situation that involves meat produce? Not vegetarian, but I understand the style of life. And honestly, I don't that's why they didn't do it. I think is more around all the bad propaganda of the slaughtering houses than anything else.
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited June 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    I mean, to put it simply into two words: Vegans & Children. But to go into a more elaborative comment, it would be because they've decided to make this pack a more Old McDonald type farm, where it's a more idyllic, storybook and wholesome view of farm-life. Where animals are raised more as pets rather than produce, which is strange because I know farmers irl who actually have pet versions of the animals they keep and kill for produce/food. But w/e, can't have it both ways it seems. :neutral:

Minecraft is age 7 up I believe, and you can get meat from you animals it you want to. Our children see violence on the tv every day…… yet they can’t can’t play a game where they learn where their meat comes from? I wish we could have at least had cows be able to reproduce like chickens so that we could sell them to buy meat and other food products.

Did you not have the cows and chickens in Sims 3? It was the same - you couldn't eat them so this shouldn't be a surprise. It's not about protecting kids from violence, but just keeping with the fun/silly spirit of the game (or at least that's what the devs implied years ago when this was asked). In Minecraft you can make weapons and kill each other too, not just animals - and everything looks like a block. The Sims has more uncanny valley vibes and so sims murdering other sims and animals directly isn't a thing. There's no combat and respawn system in this game.

I have played stardew valley too, and yes in the mines you kill monsters too, with swords and other weapons, and they drop things when they die. But, I don’t want to kill the animals with a sword. I just wanted to be able to have them reproduce and be able to sell them or have them exchanged for meat…… like they do fish for food, or frogs for bait. I don’t want to see violence, just an exchange, like they already do for fish and frogs. And no, I did not play sims 3 very long, I didn’t like the rabbit holes so I stopped playing early. But, my daughter did play the sims 3 and she said she was hoping that the animals wouldn’t be like the sims 3 version either, that they could reproduce and we could sell them, or have them replaced with meat.

From a PR POV, even if there's no depiction of violence, it still doesn't work well for the Sims. These cows, chickens, and llamas are basically pets. In Sims 3, you could cuddle the chicks and play games with the cows. There will probably be similarly cutesy animations in this EP. So having sims wash their hands of such "friends" and then send them off to be slaughtered via the phone is dark. :# It's like a cowardly betrayal of a friend or pet. Frogs and fish are slightly different because they're more "out-group", they're like wild animals and there's more of a hunting aspect to it. I see what you mean though.

• Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    MyriadSims wrote: »
    Vegans would have an aneurism.
    Parents would have a fit.
    Kids would have a meltdown.
    Media would have a field day.

Basically every group imaginable would have osme sort of EA-damaging reaction to it. I personally am glad they didn't include it.

It speaks volumes about just how disconnected we as humans are from where our food comes from that people freak out if they have to think for half a second about where that greaseball burger they got from McDonald's actually came from.

And if meatmaking was that much of a traumatizing experience for kids, then why does Minecraft let you (and indeed kind of expect you to) kill and eat the animals in their game? Won't someone please think of the CHILDREN?! It's ridiculous.

And, as a carnivore, I'm kind of tired of being treated as some kind of monster because I'm OK with being an evolved apex predator.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 164 Member
    mewo13 wrote: »
    They would never put this in a game, but allowing sims to butcher animals would actually help the vegan/vegetarian narrative, not harm it. Meat is so easy for us to consume because they come in clean, plastic packaging in the happy neighborhood grocery store. How many more middle-class people, especially the empathetic ones, would give up meat if they saw how brutal the process was? Imagine raising a sim cow, getting attached to it, then getting the option to end its life and eat it for dinner or sell it off. That could affect how people perceive their real life choices, and it's not too on the nose like how most vegetarian pleas are, that just makes people roll their eyes. Not everyone will obviously be affected by it. The ones who won't care obviously won't care either way, but you might be able to sway some people when they're confronted with reality (albeit in the form of a simulation)

For the record, I'm not a vegetarian. I totally understand the lifestyle though. It's just how I see it.

^This so big time! Having to choose whether to butcher your own beloved animals in game or not might feel... well, dark as someone said. It might even have an influence on some of the meat-eating players - maybe they start to think if it's any lighter issue in real life. Maybe that's why the thought of seeing it in game feels so appalling for some.

So, compared to the possibility to butcher your animals, I would be much more concerned about the current narrative: Separating the cute, cuddly farm animals in your back yard and easy meat sold in the stalls hides the origins and the process behind this meat and upholds the image of meat being easy, clean consumable.

So I would have chosen differently- but I also understand the reasoning behind this choice to exclude the theme. It's more than anything, well - easy choice. Luckily we can complete the gaming experience with our imagination; those wanting to eat their animals can sell them and buy the meat from stalls imagining it being from their own animal, those who want to keep their animals as pets can do it without forced to see the connection between their pets and meat their sims eat, and veggies can imagine all the meat available is produced ethically and responsibly, maybe in their nice neighbor's idyllic cattle ranch (or make everyone vegan, never enter the meat stall and imagine a world without animal exploitation exists) ^^
  • Options

It speaks volumes about just how disconnected we as humans are from where our food comes from that people freak out if they have to think for half a second about where that greaseball burger they got from McDonald's actually came from.

@ACruelButLovingGod Indeed we are disconnected because most of the people out there have no idea what goes into meat production in the industry, how much antibiotics, supplements are used and how unnatural and violent things get. The meat from a McDonald's burger doesn't come from some animal in the wild, it comes from some sick, overfed, overmedicated pig.
    And if meatmaking was that much of a traumatizing experience for kids, then why does Minecraft let you (and indeed kind of expect you to) kill and eat the animals in their game? Won't someone please think of the CHILDREN?! It's ridiculous.

Actual meatmaking in real life is pretty traumatizing. Even adults can't handle watching footage from meat farms. I know cause I've shown it to a lot of people.
    And, as a carnivore, I'm kind of tired of being treated as some kind of monster because I'm OK with being an evolved apex predator.

I personally don't have an issue with meat production being in the Sims (even though some people here claim vegans would lose their ****). But I also cannot agree that the way we produce and consume meat is the "natural" predator way. I wouldn't call someone who needs to rely on artificially breeding and processing meat a predator. The meat we consume isn't made the natural way.
    And vegan activism isn't a movement to make meat eater feel like monsters, it's just a movement to provide food for thought and raise awareness on the negative effects of modern day meat farming on the environment and our health. There are some moral reasons as well but people tend to feel offended when someone explains why they turned vegan but that's not the vegan's fault is it?
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    The meat from a McDonald's burger doesn't come from some animal in the wild, it comes from some sick, overfed, overmedicated pig.

Not condoning McD's burgers with all their fillers but at least here in Western Canada The major purchaser of the prize winning beef shown in our fairs was McD.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    The meat from a McDonald's burger doesn't come from some animal in the wild, it comes from some sick, overfed, overmedicated pig.

Perfectly healthy cattle actually. The only pig you'll find is a slice of bacon on a bacon burger.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,971 Member
    SanniSilli wrote: »
    mewo13 wrote: »

^This so big time! Having to choose whether to butcher your own beloved animals in game or not might feel... well, dark as someone said. It might even have an influence on some of the meat-eating players - maybe they start to think if it's any lighter issue in real life. Maybe that's why the thought of seeing it in game feels so appalling for some.

So, compared to the possibility to butcher your animals, I would be much more concerned about the current narrative: Separating the cute, cuddly farm animals in your back yard and easy meat sold in the stalls hides the origins and the process behind this meat and upholds the image of meat being easy, clean consumable.

So I would have chosen differently- but I also understand the reasoning behind this choice to exclude the theme. It's more than anything, well - easy choice. Luckily we can complete the gaming experience with our imagination; those wanting to eat their animals can sell them and buy the meat from stalls imagining it being from their own animal, those who want to keep their animals as pets can do it without forced to see the connection between their pets and meat their sims eat, and veggies can imagine all the meat available is produced ethically and responsibly, maybe in their nice neighbor's idyllic cattle ranch (or make everyone vegan, never enter the meat stall and imagine a world without animal exploitation exists) ^^
    Well it looks like you may be able to do this with the chickens, because it looks like they reproduce. It’s too bad that they didn’t make the cows where they could reproduce as well, so that you could sell the spare ones too, assume we can sell the chickens after raising them. I don’t remember seeing a post saying we can sell the chickens for sure. It would have been nice if we could have reproduced one or two extra cows, and even llamas to sell.
  • Options
    hunni121hunni121 Posts: 2 New Member
    Nevertheless,

I'm super excited for the release!!
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    Bluegayle wrote: »

Not condoning McD's burgers with all their fillers but at least here in Western Canada The major purchaser of the prize winning beef shown in our fairs was McD.

I worked as a shift manager at McD's for awhile during the Great Recession and they don't kid around when they say "pure, all-beef hamburgers." No fillers. Just 100% USDA-inspected beef, as the law requires when a company makes that claim in its advertising.

Even Eric Schlosser, in the (in)famous book Fast Food Nation, had to concede that most of the animal-welfare reforms made in factory farming methods were due to McDonald's market-buying power and the pressure their shareholders and the public were putting on them to be more "ethical" in how they sourced their meat.

It's not worth it to get political in a conversation about a video game, but the point of the matter is that it's really not as icky as some folks believe. I have actually seen the inside of a slaughterhouse, and while it's unpleasant (anything that suddenly and violently ends the life of a living creature is by nature), it's only really gross if you've got a weak stomach.
    (he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    No fillers. Just 100% USDA-inspected beef, as the law requires when a company makes that claim in its advertising.
    Good to know thank you for the info!
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    edited June 2021

It's not worth it to get political in a conversation about a video game, but the point of the matter is that it's really not as icky as some folks believe. I have actually seen the inside of a slaughterhouse, and while it's unpleasant (anything that suddenly and violently ends the life of a living creature is by nature), it's only really gross if you've got a weak stomach.

@ACruelButLovingGod @Bluegayle @Zimz4 I didn't make the thing about the antibiotics up, or the artificial breeding, or the force feeding, or the supplements or the infections animals get from being in such tight spaces. These are things that are happening in the slaughterhouses and are proven and out there for you to see. Watch footage from a slaughterhouse with hidden cameras, it's crazy. Nothing G-rated about that.
    And the environmental impact on top of that.

And yes the USDA can inspect the beef and say it's fine because it's not against the law to give medication and supplements to the animals, so ofc it's approved under law. The laws are just too loose.

Just some activism here and there never mind me. But ofc like you learn in psychology on the first day, presenting people with information that collides with their reality so far creates a wall of defense because it's very energy-consuming to change one's mind so our brains try to find ways to make it seem like our side is the right and only right answer. It's just our brains trying to save energy, it's a normal human process.
  • Options
    CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

And yes the USDA can inspect the beef and say it's fine because it's not against the law to give medication and supplements to the animals, so ofc it's approved under law. The laws are just too loose.

The USDA cert simply means it's been graded for the amount of marbelling in the meat. I can find no information anywhere to suggest it has anything to do with how the animal was raised, what food or antibiotics it may have been fed, etc. It certainly doesn't seem to imply any kind of wellbeing of the animal. Interesting that's how consumers view it though.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

@ACruelButLovingGod @Bluegayle @Zimz4 I didn't make the thing about the antibiotics up, or the artificial breeding, or the force feeding, or the supplements or the infections animals get from being in such tight spaces. These are things that are happening in the slaughterhouses and are proven and out there for you to see. Watch footage from a slaughterhouse with hidden cameras, it's crazy. Nothing G-rated about that.
    And the environmental impact on top of that.

Just some activism here and there never mind me. But ofc like you learn in psychology on the first day, presenting people with information that collides with their reality so far creates a wall of defense because it's very energy-consuming to change one's mind so our brains try to find ways to make it seem like our side is the right and only right answer. It's just our brains trying to save energy, it's a normal human process.

I don't need to see footage from a slaughterhouse to know what goes on. I just corrected the "pig" remark given. I know 🐸🐸🐸🐸 well how industrial "farming" works. You don't know me or anything about me to presume I don't know whats going on. And thats all I have to say on this.

edited to say I just said dam. :/
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited June 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Apparently, we won't be able to cook the meat from the cows, chickens, or rabbits from the pack. Rabbits will roam around the world. Cows can be milked. Chickens give eggs. Dassit!

Whyyyyyyy?!?!?!?!

Sims can eat meals featuring real meat, but can't get the real meat from the animals to make the food?

Have they actually stated you can't get meat from animals?

The response about ways to get meat wasn't necessarily exhaustive. I think Romeo just listed the options that didn't require slaughter. He listed them because the person that asked about getting meat used sad emojis and seemed upset about killing their cows.

Post edited by EmmaVane on
  • Options
    EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    In RL, meat, fish and produce tastes better when it's freshly harvested. Sims should get a positive "fresh food" moodlet from eating food they raised or picked. Simmers should have the choice to sell their livestock for money or to eat it. The conversion from animals to meat can happen off screen. Raising animals for food or to sell is part of farm life.
    It would be nice if sims could donate meat, fish and produce to needy sims.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    I feel like it could've been done in a cartoonish way. For example, you buy a machine and guide a cow through it, and then the cow comes out much skinnier and you can collect some of its meat. I know, it's pretty unrealistic, but it's a way of getting meat without having to kill an animal, for those that do not want that in their games (though even if it was in the game, you don't HAVE TO use that feature).