Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Style or function, how do you build?

Comments

• Options
    PoppyErstwhilePoppyErstwhile Posts: 29 Member
    Function: My lots are optimized for gameplay. I don't go overboard when decorating and use cheats with caution.
    I am really bad at building and I don't want all my houses to look like square boxes, so I usually download a house I like from the Gallery (often something modern and simple). Then I delete all the clutter and things I don't need (I don't play big families, so no need for 3+ bedrooms) and put there things I like and which I find useful (skill building objects and such).

I don't use any building cheats aside from "moveobjects". I prefer playing in one-level houses with lots of open space, so I have a good view of where my sims are and what they're doing. They can't escape from my sight muhahahahaha :D.
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    For me it's function first, and view blocking second. If my sims can't get around or climb into a bathtub, that build isn't funtional, and will get either deleted or renovated. I don't like dealing with roof angles that cut into my visability, and tall bookshelves, etc can get annoying. I will often play it for a bit to see if I can adjust, but if roofs or furniture choices bug me enough I'll make some changes.

I'm not a super builder (I can't even imagine how some people can do such amazing things); but I like to do a lot of renovating of existing or downloaded builds. When I'm in the right mood I like to build from scratch. I always play my builds. In fact, anyone who downloads one will probably find food in the fridge. :D

I play and build Vanilla. I don't use MOO or CC. I won't go to the trouble of re-sizing stuff, either. I used cheats to go into the locked build stuff for my Batuu build, and I'm sure some of the lots I've downloaded have used locked build items. I have to really want something to go to that much trouble.

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Function: My lots are optimized for gameplay. I don't go overboard when decorating and use cheats with caution.
    Do you care if an item blocks your view when you turn the camera?
    Haha, I am a little OCD about this.

Majority of my game play is from the front view of the house and I hate having things blocking my view. Ceiling lights, mirrors, bookcases, fridges, showers etc. I have to put anything tall/items which do not drop with a wall against a side wall so that they don't get in the way. For ceiling lights, I only ever use the teeny tiny saucer one, which I also size down to the most tiny size so that it is almost invisible.

I get bugged when I download a house that has used MOO for placing furniture or decor which stops my sims from using an item, so I always make sure to only ever use MOO for things that don't matter - like putting garden plants closer together.

Sometimes I download a house that has roofing around the entire top floor and I wonder how people can play like that when you can only see the bedrooms from an almost top-down view.
  • Options
    ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    Depending on the build, I vary between style and function though I usually lean toward function.

I also have a bit of a habit about builds needing some degree of "symmetry" to them.
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    Where is "Other" - I make sure it looks both good to my eyes and is functional. I won't allow a compromise either way. I would have voted your middle option but it said "some glitches", while your 'functionality' choices all allow for bad looks.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I am not a builder but I build my own lots. I go for the function as I hate unusable lots due to MOO. That's the reason why I do not download lots from the gallery. They serve as a decor, they are laggy and glitchy. I want to use the stuff, not just look at it.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I build with gameplay in mind. There are some really nice, creative builds on the Gallery but I prefer function over form.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    I have no use for builds I cannot use without getting a lag, so nothing too big or complicated for me.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I am in the function category as well. I use a mouse that has a wheel so I can rotate easily. Blocking a view on one wall isn't a big deal to me but I care most about function. I won't block windows or make walking difficult. I don't play with high amounts of clutter. I used to play with none, now I'll add a few items to make a space lived-in. I don't fill up an entire space or use a lot of objects.

I have downloaded a few lots in which the gardens are dense but I don't like kitchens in which every counter is filled with decor or where there are functional glitches. I do play with a small amount of decor to personalize a space. Mainly I focus on playability.

I will say that when I spend time on it, I think I make good renovations or builds. I'll cut corners more than full-time builders though and if it comes down to play or appearance, I go with play.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »
    Where is "Other" - I make sure it looks both good to my eyes and is functional. I won't allow a compromise either way. I would have voted your middle option but it said "some glitches", while your 'functionality' choices all allow for bad looks.

Yeah, I would've chosen an "other" as well. I'm a pretty extreme decorater, I love making my Sims' homes very personal to them and visibly lived in. I use CC, cheats, and mods to accomplish some things. But everything has to be functional.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    I'm not good at building, but I can definitely do better than a box
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 231 Member
    I build functional houses, I don't usually download from the gallery because they are usually very cluttered in the house and garden - I dont have plants in the garden in real life so I dont in Sims. The last house I downloaded had a large shelf three quarters of the way up the wall - no one could reach it and it had a stack of papers on it, when I went to move it I realised it was made up of about 20 odd little shelves - very annoying as not functional, glitching and taking ages to delete. I love to build but its always functional and usually minimalistic in style - unless its a themed one like a 19th century save, or palace etc.
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'm saying function because it is always functional. I don't use mods or moveobjects cheats, but on my fav builds I can go into super decorator mode. Plus, if something looks hideous in general I am going to fix it. So style matters, but it is functional first and foremost.
  • Options
    PenguinFoopPenguinFoop Posts: 1,582 Member
    Unfortunately I tend to go function and forget style. But I am getting more into the style of things too though. So there is hope for me yet.
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    style still matters to me but all of my builds have to be functional. most of the time when i build its for my own sims so i do still decorate to suit their personalities and add a bit of clutter but i don’t go overboard. i use MOO but very sparingly, mostly just for landscaping.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I'm not a builder.
    Not a builder, but I do like to redecorate the inside of lots from time to time. I always prefer function over style, with minimal use of MOO. I also appreciate when builders on the gallery prefer function over style or try to do a combination of both.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Style: I decorate excessively, but my objects are (mostly) usuable. I tolerate some glitching/view blocking.
    All of my builds are functional gameplay-wise; enough for the Sims to address all their needs and live contently. But as I play for realism and aesthetics, my works are all designed to be viewed from the Sim’s perspective instead of the player’s bird’s-eye view. I like going into tab mode and looking around the space I created as if I’m the one living in it. I don’t really mind losing one bookshelf’s functionality or constantly moving around the camera as much as having to look at an ugly build the entire time I’m playing :lol:
  • Options
    CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    I actually do my builds as function first then style.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I love to build, but I do prioritize function first. I typically try to complete the interior with no cheats first, and try to keep clutter to a minimum, especially around areas where sims may have some interactions. Where I might go overboard is using MOO outdoors, especially when doing landscapes or exteriors of the house. These don't typically get in the way of sims, so shouldn't affect gameplay.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited June 2021
    Style: I decorate excessively, but my objects are (mostly) usuable. I tolerate some glitching/view blocking.
    I don't see why we can't have both: Style and Functionality. I don't use cheats, but I do play-test my builds. Really, it's more because I build for myself. If I really fall in love with the build, then sometimes, I'll share it. But again, it must be play-tested. I don't use cheats when building as that can be problematic for others. I recently downloaded three large concert venues and failed to make a note of the one that said I had to turn on some cheat. I think, unfortunately, that's the one I liked the most, too. My Global Superstar had all kinds of problems. First off, he couldn't get into the venue, via the door at the back of the lot. I ended up building a set of stairs (in game) just so he could get onto the stage and perform. I will be removing this lot from my game and from My Library. Pity, it was a nice lot all-in-all, just unusable for me.

This lot was built for my Global Superstar, in a style befitting his status and his large family. He has six kids.

gN1CgGE.jpg
    csfLVWT.jpg
    uKeqBwm.jpg
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I build for the Sims who is going to live there, adapting it for there career, interests and personality. Also I take into consideration the surronding nature and buildings, not making it stick out like a sore thumb if it is a family home. Not so when it come to businesses and such. I wish it would state in the gallery on what lot the building is located.
  • Options
    eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    I am really bad at building and I don't want all my houses to look like square boxes, so I usually download a house I like from the Gallery (often something modern and simple). Then I delete all the clutter and things I don't need (I don't play big families, so no need for 3+ bedrooms) and put there things I like and which I find useful (skill building objects and such).

I don't use any building cheats aside from "moveobjects". I prefer playing in one-level houses with lots of open space, so I have a good view of where my sims are and what they're doing. They can't escape from my sight muhahahahaha :D.

I do the same thing. I usually download a build, delete/replace with the aesthetic I want, delete any columns/spandrels (they're so glitchy in my opinion when they're inside), delete excessive amounts of clutter, and then sometimes re-do the landscaping with bushes/trees that match the world more using the liveeditobjects cheat. I hate it when sims route through stuff too, or when the plants are poking through walls so I try not to use MOO too much.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I'm so greatful for my Sims 4 build modes,cheats & packs. They come in handy for my buildings. I always make sure I test them with one of my sims so that they can go into the rooms & use some of the objects before I save them in the Gallery. I never play with mods.
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I'm not a builder.
    I like to decorate and improve on Maxis design choices in rooms but I’m not a builder I enjoy interior decorating in the sims 3 haven’t played the new pack yet, waiting until a patch comes out to fix issues (and waiting more until it is safe to put mods in).
  • Options
    MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    I always play a rags-to-riches type of game, even when doing another challenge, so I always build as I go. Function becomes much more important to me than style, because of this. I also use teleport pads that Coolspear created in every room, which means that doors and stairs become irrelevant in my builds, so sometimes I put things in what would seem to be weird places. What I build in Sims 4 is always purely for each specific Sim or family.

It's ironic, because in Sims 3, I was far more of a builder than I am in Sims 4, and I uploaded to the Exchange several times, whereas I never upload to the gallery. Probably because the gameplay in 3 is so much more innately interesting than that of 4 (too bad I can't play Sims 3 anymore; the game glitches out too much now), so if I don't challenge myself in some way, I get bored.

I do download pretty homes from the gallery, but they're always for plopping into other lots for townies to live in. I don't care too much about functionality then; it's mostly for the looks that the homes give the neighborhood screen, in those cases.