Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skills/hobbies missing on Likes and Dislikes

Comments

• Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    There should've been Prank Toilet as a dislike to keep the goofballs in check! :D
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    There should've been Prank Toilet as a dislike to keep the goofballs in check! :D

Hopefully Mischief as a dislike will keep that in check.
  • Options
    BreeSashaBreeSasha Posts: 638 Member
    I agree with adding a bit more. Like the hiking, knitting, flower arranging, etc. I mean some of my more creative sims engage in hobbies that aren't on that list of preference. Even reading a book/doing homework/studying should be on the list because a lot of sims do it and sims could have the "bookworm" trait.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    I think one of the most disappointing things about the missing activities is that it's almost everything my kids do. As a result, all but one or two of the kids in my sim families have been restricted to a favorite color, which doesn't do much to make them feel more unique.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I realize the likes/dislikes are going to be in the update which limits how many activities can be added at this time. But there still seems to be more missing that really should have been included. Because this is a base game update, we have to wait for activities from all the packs that are available now. That's a lot of packs to go through then choose the ones most important to the players. I am happy the likes/dislikes system has been implemented because our Sims will seem a bit different from other Sims now. I just hope this doesn't drag on and on like the Off The Grid lot trait where it took several packs and updates before that lot trait made sense and could be utilized as it was meant to be utilized. I was surprised to see how many base game activities and skills were not on the list of what we'll be getting. Seems to me starting at the beginning would have made more sense.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    I think it is really disappointing that they did not include Voidcritters as an Activity that kids could like. There are so few activities for the kids even to do in this version of the Sims, and here was one that was specifically added just for them, and yet they couldn't even be bothered to add it. However they added some that aren't even that unique to kids, like snowboarding. Another almost unpardonable omission was the lack of any logic-based activity, as was mentioned above, like chess or using the observatory. This is a really egregious omission, especially considering that we've had a logic skill and telescopes in the game since Sims 1, so you would think this would be a core activity. Now what are my genius sims supposed to do to entertain themselves suitably?

Apart from these two really egregious omissions, I like this new system a lot. Even if it only brings with it a few buffs, includes just a couple new socials, it still adds some personality to the sims. Depending on how much it affects autonomy and whether it improves fun at a faster rate, it could even improve the individuality of sims during gameplay. I am looking forward to seeing them expand this system in the future, filling in the currently existing gaps with bringing along more activities from the basegame and the packs, while (of course) contributing some new ones too.
  • Options
    DreamOperatorDreamOperator Posts: 241 Member
    The ones I missed the most were reading, knitting, and magic/spellcasting since those were hobby likes I was excited to add to some of my sims. I hope this is just a base and they will add more in the future. I would also like to see a favorite food category like in the Sims 3. Others brought up really good ones too like swimming, logic activities and there should be something about pets for those sims that like to spend their time with their furry friends.
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I would have preferred even more detail not just the hobbies but general preferences like food (as mentioned above) but fav drink too, specific book genre, art painting style, specific tv channels. Why not be able to prioritize weightlifting over jogging or meditating over yoga poses. What about liking certain times of the day or preferring baths over showers & vice-versa.

I do think they'll update these more in the future but the way they've implemented what we have so far does not seem all that promising. Also my sims aren't avoiding the things they dislike. In fact, my sims are actively stopping things they do like to go do something they don't. I am cutting them some slack though because this at least reimagines a past feature into something a little fresher but it's not like the calendar (a feature they totally innovated for the better and that I use consistently). Right now, for me, it's something more on par with the N.A.Ps and the Lifestyles.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Hmm... About those activities...

Yes, I'm for adding new skills, but about those minor activities (swimming, skating etc), I have an idea.

Perhaps add an option to fine-tune a skill liking/dislinking. For example, you can choose fitness and have sim like all fitness-skill things. Or you could customize exactly what fitness activities sim likes/dislikes. Perhaps have a button for this on the skill choice that allows to customize it.
    So for example, have a sim who likes candle-making but not using the fabrication machine. In that case, there would be no need to mark the entire fabrication skill as likes or dislikes.

I have my idea thread on my own in case you would like to share your own or see other's ideas: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/990155/likes-and-dislikes-ideas#latest
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    edited May 2021
    Yes, kids don’t seem to have more specific likes and distilles like Drawing or playing Voidcritters for instance.

Also how about adding Soccer and Basketball or sports in general ?
    I think it is really disappointing that they did not include Voidcritters as an Activity that kids could like. There are so few activities for the kids even to do in this version of the Sims, and here was one that was specifically added just for them, and yet they couldn't even be bothered to add it. However they added some that aren't even that unique to kids, like snowboarding. Another almost unpardonable omission was the lack of any logic-based activity, as was mentioned above, like chess or using the observatory. This is a really egregious omission, especially considering that we've had a logic skill and telescopes in the game since Sims 1, so you would think this would be a core activity. Now what are my genius sims supposed to do to entertain themselves suitably?

Apart from these two really egregious omissions, I like this new system a lot. Even if it only brings with it a few buffs, includes just a couple new socials, it still adds some personality to the sims. Depending on how much it affects autonomy and whether it improves fun at a faster rate, it could even improve the individuality of sims during gameplay. I am looking forward to seeing them expand this system in the future, filling in the currently existing gaps with bringing along more activities from the basegame and the packs, while (of course) contributing some new ones too.

• Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Also how about adding Soccer and Basketball or sports in general ?

Since the "hobby" likes and dislikes seem to be based entirely on skills rather than specific activities, I assume things like basketball and sports in general would go under Fitness. But I haven't had time to play with the new patch yet, so I could be wrong.

But yeah, it's a pity that Logic isn't available, especially since it's one of the few things that children can do, too. I hope it will be added in a future update, along with more activities that aren't necessarily related to skills.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

Technically, void critters are video gaming.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Soooo basically we should be able to select everything that’s either a club activity or a holiday tradition as a like/dislike, correct? Is that the general idea here?
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    A bit OT, but I just realized today that we can buy any other emotion potion from the rewards store except playful. So that's been missing for quite some time, I guess :,D
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Soooo basically we should be able to select everything that’s either a club activity or a holiday tradition as a like/dislike, correct? Is that the general idea here?

I expected to find all the club activities in the likes and dislikes. I would have liked club activities next to skills.
  • Options
    JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited May 2021
    I hope they add some more, especially knitting, chess and (watching movies). I'd like playing card and the other bar games/ table games as well. Not all hobbies has to be strikt skilling in my opinion.

I was disappointed when I realised that If I ask a sim for, say their favourite colour, and I found it out, that the social to ask for favourite colour still stays in the social menu.
    It's different from Get to Know that kind of lose it's purpose after you know a sims three traits but it still has a function in the form of whims sims might get for it.
    The Ask about favourite colour, hobby etc is useless after your sim knows it and I think they should disappear from the menu, like asking about career.

I also think that if my sims likes playing the violin and they meet someone who also like playing the violin (but this is not known to my sim yet) that if my sim talks about violin (any social with the violin on it) that my sim should automatically learn the other sims hobby is also violin, without me having to ask.

Edit to add:
    I'd also really want them to add a hobby catergory in the Club system. That'd be great.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    adduapina wrote: »
    A bit OT, but I just realized today that we can buy any other emotion potion from the rewards store except playful. So that's been missing for quite some time, I guess :,D

Maybe because it could be very deadly if your sim is too happy? 😄
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    I have two conservationists and couldn't find anything they like, sorting recycling, digging through dumpsters, combing sand for garbage, herbalism, scuba diving.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm rather impressed with the scope of this update, and it's probably a good thing they left things out for the moment. Say, you've got a bookworm Sim. I've already had to deal with Sims who are bookworms but also get the Active Lifestyle. So, a moodlet pops up that says that even though they're not doing anything, it sort of feels right. What happens if I give them a 'dislike' for reading? There's a bit of logic that needs to be programmed into the likes and dislikes - say, if you have a bookworm Sim, 'disliking' reading isn't an option?

I wish they'd followed that through with the Lifestyles - my Sims do yoga every day to stay fit and get in the proper mood for their day, and inevitably, they get the Active Lifestyle. They've toned it down, thank goodness, so my Sims don't start every day 'energetic' instead of 'focused' or 'inspired' as I'd intended, but it's still annoying, especially when I have a Sim who enjoys 'boring' activities. (To me, yoga should count toward the 'healthy lifestyle' rather than 'active'.)

It's going to take some tweaking, in any case. And I do agree that some activities were just plain missed.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited May 2021
    There's a current bug report for this: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Likes-Dislikes-Missing-Hobbies-and-Skills/td-p/10376480/jump-to/first-unread-message

even if it might be that those were left out on purpose, the more people post in that thread (or at least click me too), the better for reconsideration.

There's also a thread for missing music: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/JTB-Likes-Dislikes-Missing-music-genre/m-p/10376688#M183410

If you have any additions that aren't mentioned yet, please post with those but do consider that some might be summarized under something else (like cooking and gourmet cooking).
    Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

• Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    There's a bit of logic that needs to be programmed into the likes and dislikes - say, if you have a bookworm Sim, 'disliking' reading isn't an option?

I don't see why this wouldn't be doable for them, since they already have that setup for traits that conflict (Good v Evil, Neat v Slob etc).

I would've expected them to code it that way to start. For example, I can make an Active sim who dislikes Fitness, which makes no sense.
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I think there might have been less annoyance if they'd labeled it "Skills" rather than "Activities", because it's obviously Skills. And it doesn't work that well. I had a goofball Sim dislike Mischief, but she went ahead and pranked the toilet anyway. The main thing is that it seems to raise fun for skills your Sim likes, which is good for things like Handiness. Playing chess and reading already raise fun, which might be why they left them out.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    MVWdeZT wrote: »
    Logic (not an activity, but playing chess, using the observatory and microscope are).
    Playing Voidcritters (not a skill, but definitely an activity)

Other activities that aren't skills:
    Reading
    Watching TV
    Taking a Walk

Wow! Reading isn't an option? At least half of my sims will be so upset!

Same.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    My knitting sims are going to be so sad about this. :D

@Sharonia actually, they will be quite neutral about it ;-)