Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disallowed word?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    MMX wrote: »
    To me it's not the word but the statement "not so legi*****" (I don't want to spell the complete word for this post being flagged) that's the issue. You are implying something illegal.
    Legitimate is not an offensive word. How would the swear filter detect implications of illegal activity?

I did not say the word alone but the statement itself.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    edited May 2021
    MMX wrote: »
    To me it's not the word but the statement "not so legi*****" (I don't want to spell the complete word for this post being flagged) that's the issue. You are implying something illegal.
    Legitimate is not an offensive word. How would the swear filter detect implications of illegal activity?

I did not say the word alone but the statement itself.
    I was a little confused that you obscured an otherwise inoffensive word but the question still stands; how would an automated filter know that from a vague line? The issue is that a "disallowed" word has been used in the description and "not so legitimate" just doesn't seem very plausible for an automated system to block.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Yeah, a cuss filter cant detect intent. IMO it should allow something it flags to be uploaded to the Gallery, but hide it from the public until its been reviewed and approved by a human.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    Flexono1 wrote: »
    That was the intention, i'm not even sure how it can be considered disallowed

They disallow red-neck on the forum, which offends me as a rural European-American. :D
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Yeah, a cuss filter cant detect intent. IMO it should allow something it flags to be uploaded to the Gallery, but hide it from the public until its been reviewed and approved by a human.

Humans would have to do this, and the gallery would either be empty if they approve before uploading, or filled with spam because there are not enough hands on board. I.M.O. We just accept it, they at least allow words in our private games, but maybe they unblock some names for their own characters.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    @BettyNewbie1 I wasn't say stick everything in a moderation queue. Just the stuff that cuss filter objects to at present. And the Gallery is already full of spam, although there do seem to be less pregnant teens than usual.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    AaleynAaleyn Posts: 301 Member
    It's very confusing and frustrating: many times it has happened that when I'm writing a description for a house (or other type of lot) that I built, especially when I'm writing in my native language, then when saving it to my library, it says "you are not allowed to upload this to the Gallery, because there is a forbidden word in the title or in the description". I don't understand and I can't figure out which word it is, that is considered to be forbidden, because all of the words in my description (written in my native language) were totally normal. The system is weird and confusing :neutral:
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    @BettyNewbie1 I wasn't say stick everything in a moderation queue. Just the stuff that cuss filter objects to at present. And the Gallery is already full of spam, although there do seem to be less pregnant teens than usual.

Thank you for the reply, this makes much more sense. I.D.K. If they've put new rules, but I've noticed less pregnant teens, too. Those mods are just very weird to me, and I really dislike the stories simmers come up with for them, some make it out as something great... It is such a tragic situation.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Omri147 wrote: »
    ❤️❤️❤️❤️ is not allowed to put on the gallery, but this is Katrina Calinte's original name. Have to put in Nihat and tell simmers to put the G in ROFL!

Same for Ophelia 'Specter''s actual last name, can't use it so they changed it in their gallery recreation.

I made my own version of that family and made her name Enigmos to get it through.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    I'm still confused over a build I named Octopus's Garden. The name is fine on the forum but not on the gallery. Unclear as to why...

• Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I remember making a post a while ago that contained the word i*d*i*o*t and that wasn’t ok. Also h*e*l*l isn’t allowed... but there’s the Vampires character called Miss H*e*l*l!! It’s a bit ridiculous when it gets to the point that people aren’t allowed to use names of characters in the game.

Yeah, I recently made a post where I tried to refer to my Sim as a j-e-r-k, but that gets caught in the filter as well.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I'm still confused over a build I named Octopus's Garden. The name is fine on the forum but not on the gallery. Unclear as to why...

I would say it's the Octopus's Garden that is causing the issue.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

I would say it's the Octopus's Garden that is causing the issue.

LOL the censors sounds like a puritanical old granny....

Who's censoring the Gallery, Mrs. Crumplebottom?

y4mcxhaGjRU2tc14NAp_wPis1wkCwyFYXKDJOD_IKf_qgJwBFbHgdgExNZBQpqEZGRXD2Rx8Ko5nMu_x-zjtGC5qGtfaaEb-iUPSGR46eOTGSO5Buv1RWR2nWeUCQVaEYnpOZQw-A5-01QrhNGkDlkGitVsCkWxu-Io59N601KuS8FgGzNA1M8-m7PTkr_xGrsx?width=256&height=256&cropmode=none
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    @Chicklet453681 wow I would never have thought of that.

• Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    edited May 2021
    Just found myself blocked from saving when editing some townies.

The random Japanese surname given to one townie, was filter blocked. Like, if you're going to block a word, maybe don't also put it into your name generator. Or maybe make an exceptions list when it's a real actual surname... Fukuda

One end of the program not knowing what the other end is up to.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Jyotai wrote: »

The random Japanese surname given to one townie, was filter blocked. Like, if you're going to block a word, maybe don't also put it into your name generator. Or maybe make an exceptions list when it's a real actual surname... Fukuda

Yeah, the filter is atrocious when it comes to many Japanese first and last names.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    edited May 2021
    Jyotai wrote: »

Yes, Yosuke is blocked too for some reason, I had to change my sim's name to Yohsuke. Which is a correct spelling variant too, I think, but still.

Also, "he'll" is not allowed in the description, which is ridiculous, especially when Maxis has Miss Hell on their own gallery page.
  • Options
    L00NYL0V3L00NYL0V3 Posts: 66 Member
    I remember making a post a while ago that contained the word i*d*i*o*t and that wasn’t ok. Also h*e*l*l isn’t allowed... but there’s the Vampires character called Miss H*e*l*l!! It’s a bit ridiculous when it gets to the point that people aren’t allowed to use names of characters in the game.

It's absurd. Like...why would you name your character something that the gallery doesn't allow people to type out? I left a comment on the "Rebellious Vampires" household asking as much.
  • Options
    L00NYL0V3 wrote: »
    It drives me nuts when 'disallowed' words are words that are part of in-game products. I'm also a bit concerned because '❤️❤️❤️❤️' is a disallowed word as well, but people sometimes make horrifically bigoted comments on gallery content featuring same-gender couples.

I'm mad about this all over again. It's not a bad word, it's a word describing a bad *thing.*
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited June 2021
    What's funny is that the word homophobic is banned here on the forums but transphobic isn't.

The filter system in game and here on the forums is ridiculous.
  • Options
    @MyriadSims *sigh* That, it is. Though tbh, knowing that 'transphobic' isn't a banned word is kind of a relief. And from the look of it, 'gay' isn't a banned word either. I guess it is just the filtering system being overzealous; I was nervous for a while there.