Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 game balance is a joke

Comments

• Options
    ReclusiveEagleReclusiveEagle Posts: 86 Member
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    I feel this comes down to design decisions made early on when they decided to make the game accessible and marketed to 13 year olds (youngest ESRB allows under teen rating) which apparently means removing any form of challenge and the fact that the team had just come off designing a Sims online game, with that some of that mentality sticking as they designed Sims 4.

Honestly I've never understand the design decision to make the game "easy' no matter what type of game it was going to be, considering that overall the game industry is now driven by challenging players and players want challenge. When a person isn't challenged, or things are too easy players get bored and lose interest. This is universal.

For me this is most apparent in S4 when it comes to forming romantic relationships. Unless a sim flat out insults another sim first, literally any sim can seduce another sim with 4-6 clicks. Married or not, no matter what their personality (lol personality in the Sims right...) er traits are...honestly I've seen sims with romantic traits autonomously approach married sims and flirt with them successfully on community lots.

Why? Well this comes to down scoring system and I recall reading a mod authors notes who wanted to make relationships more challenging, they were shocked to discover when they began writing the mod that Maxis set the required score to successfully flirt with any other sims incredibly low.

So for example a sim needs to have a relationship score of 15 out of 100 points to make a positive romantic interaction which is literally "hello, chat, joke and than flirt.

Overall for whatever reason this was a design decision by Maxis and its definitely hurt this game as people get bored playing since everything can be achieved quickly and without any challenge more so by setting these score values so low it make the game feel unrealistic as a life simulator and can break player immersion.

However there is an easy fix and that would be for Maxis to do a massive balancing pass to all the underlying systems that are scored - which might sound like a huge project but companies do this all the time for their games sometimes completely re-working a games entire balance especially in strategy games such as published by Paradox or Creative Assembly. Now this wouldn't be such a "big project now" if they had been balancing the game over the years.

AND thats the thing - I can barely recall many patch notes over 6 years that didn't change the games playing balance in any meaningful way.

Ironically I suspect if they did now, this forum would fill up with people complaining things are too hard or take too long now too.

So there is that lol...

One other thing is in some ways the game suffers from "buff bloat" by caring over older gameplay mechanics (such as decorated rooms) that add up buffs ontop of buffs until basically sims remain constantly in a positive moodlet. I feel like some of these gameplay mechanics actually should have been removed or toned down but again this comes down to balance.

My issue is 90% of the player base for Sims grew up playing it. So they are all over 18+. So why dumb down a game to make it for kids when they had a kids Sims game.. called My Sims "Which no joke is harder than TS4. And I love it." TS4 is a game based on choice except the only choices you can make are "What's too hard let me turn it off"
    Eagle.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    In my Sims 3 I can't seem to have more than one household that I create in the same game save & it's always been like this.
    As for my Hybrids in Sims 4; I've made my sims with the Vampire traits & powers, Witch traits & powers & sometimes the Mermaid traits.

@SERVERFRA You can always go to "Manage world" and create as many households in the same save game as you want. The Sims 3 doesn't limit the amount of households you can create in one save.

Also I have looked it up and the Sims 4 doesn't allow Hybrids unless you use cheats and they could even damage your game. Does anyone know more and care to elaborate?

Basically they probably added additional occult traits with mods or the "Traits.equip_trait trait_OccultVampire" cheat to a Spellcaster ect. Maxis says "It can break your game" only because they are so paranoid about people complaining about things they don't plan to natively support that they rather scare people into thinking you can't. When you add traits with the traits equip cheat its doing exactly what CAS does if you made them from scratch.

Only Hybrids in TS2 broke your game after a while. TS3 hybrids had no issues. TS4 hybrids have no issues. They just don't want people complaining about why its not supported
    Eagle.
  • Options
    greydonn wrote: »
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    In my Sims 3 I can't seem to have more than one household that I create in the same game save & it's always been like this.
    As for my Hybrids in Sims 4; I've made my sims with the Vampire traits & powers, Witch traits & powers & sometimes the Mermaid traits.

@SERVERFRA You can always go to "Manage world" and create as many households in the same save game as you want. The Sims 3 doesn't limit the amount of households you can create in one save.

Also I have looked it up and the Sims 4 doesn't allow Hybrids unless you use cheats and they could even damage your game. Does anyone know more and care to elaborate?

In Sims 3 when you change households it removes all the wishes that your sims had in the previous household. My siblings and I used to all play on the same save in Sims 3, and I could never get attached to any household, because the way I play that game heavily revolves around their wishes. Honestly, the whim system is my biggest gripe with Sims 4, I wish they were more like they were in Sims 3. Then again, I wouldn't play rotationally if that was the case, so it's a win/lose situation. It doesn't technically stop you from making more then one household, but at least in my opinion (accidentally deleted this lol) to it would've been pointless to do so.

Also, I'm pretty sure people can have born in game hybrids in Sims 4, but I've never had it happen so I don't know 100%.

With a couple of mods in TS3 you can switch to as many households as you want and not lose wants, inventory, or anything else.

In TS3, I jump around town all day long and play with the whole world, not just one family. It can be done without losing progress.

Woah really? OMG what mods?

Probably talking about daddy Twallan's (All hail the savior of many' a TS3 save) mods. Nraas, error trap. There is an inventory one ect.
    Eagle.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

In Sims 3 when you change households it removes all the wishes that your sims had in the previous household. My siblings and I used to all play on the same save in Sims 3, and I could never get attached to any household, because the way I play that game heavily revolves around their wishes. Honestly, the whim system is my biggest gripe with Sims 4, I wish they were more like they were in Sims 3. Then again, I wouldn't play rotationally if that was the case, so it's a win/lose situation. It doesn't technically stop you from making more then one household, but at least in my opinion (accidentally deleted this lol) to it would've been pointless to do so.

Also, I'm pretty sure people can have born in game hybrids in Sims 4, but I've never had it happen so I don't know 100%.

With a couple of mods in TS3 you can switch to as many households as you want and not lose wants, inventory, or anything else.

In TS3, I jump around town all day long and play with the whole world, not just one family. It can be done without losing progress.

Woah really? OMG what mods?

@greydonn - It's a combination of awesomemod from MATY and Nraas master controller and selector. You have to use the configuration tools for both mods. I don't like Nraas story progression so I don't use it and use awesome's instead because I play the town and don't want any changes to any of my sims (it stops my sims from gaining skills without me there or advancing in their careers). But awesome's configuration file has a specific setting to keep the inventory, plus a bunch of other random stuff that you can get from Nraas, but all in one file instead of a bunch of them. And then Nraas selector you just right click a sim and you are now playing that family.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    So this is part of the problem why the game doesn't balance and fails at actually simulating in gameplay, it is a very deep deep deep bug that still needs addressing:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    So this is part of the problem why the game doesn't balance and fails at actually simulating in gameplay, it is a very deep deep deep bug that still needs addressing:

This should really be priority #1. Simulation not working as intended in a simulator game is kind of embarrassing.
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I mean, I'd expect simulation lag to occur on a 20+ Sim lot like how I play it lmao, not when you have only like 1-8 Sims. But if this issue gets fixed and optimized, then I'd welcome it because it'll be a good thing for everyone. There needs to be an unclogger for any stuck Sims; there's a mod that does it but it would be great if there was something similar in the game.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Thank you @ReclusiveEagle for your help. I've never figured it out in Sims 3 that there was an Edit Town. When I first played Sims 3 back in 2011 my main concerned was to save my play before it freezed up. Then when I got back into playing the Windows 10 upgrade of Sims 3 I just played it like before but without being concerned about the freezing.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited April 2021
    Carl from Carl's Sim Guides made a good video explaining simulation lag and what causes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WBXbGfXzsc

Some things that have worked for me:

Having a better CPU (not a fun solution I know, but I think this is a solution that the team will never mention). Make sure that multiple sims don't use the same object. I also use mods that gets rid of idle animations. Like the environment update animations, Eco Lifestyle NAP's, etc. I don't know why the team keeps adding them.
  • Options
    Oh please, that's not lagging. They should try to install the full complete Sims 3 & try to play it without it lagging. Sims 4 has been so much more better & it has way more packs than Sims 3 ever did.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Oh please, that's not lagging. They should try to install the full complete Sims 3 & try to play it without it lagging. Sims 4 has been so much more better & it has way more packs than Sims 3 ever did.

Actually i did installed 3 a few days ago, now that i have a gaming laptop. I have been playing for 10+ hours straight a day, in ultra settings, and it hasn't lagged once. I thought this wasn't posible, i had tried to play so many times and the lag was unbearable. But good specs (and a few tweaks i followed from the steam performance guide for sims 3) and it plays better than 4. No simulation lag, order queues that aren't interrupted...
    Anyway, i'm just sharing my recent experience, as i haven't felt that much simulation lag in 4...
  • Options
    Maybe, EA fixed the 10 year old problem. I kept reading online to avoid getting Sims 3 Seasons, Pets & Into the Future because of the old lagging problem. However, I read that back in 2019.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Maybe, EA fixed the 10 year old problem. I kept reading online to avoid getting Sims 3 Seasons, Pets & Into the Future because of the old lagging problem. However, I read that back in 2019.

I have no idea but i think that it has to do with the pc specs. I myself had said several times here in the forum that 3 lagged a lot and so on... but i have to admit that with a good gaming laptop it does work really smooth. And i have all eps, all sps and a few store items installed and working at once...
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2021
    filipomel wrote: »
    Maybe I'm playing my game wrong, but I've never managed to achieve what you have in the span of 3 IRL minutes.

Edit: I'm curious, if you managed to get 800 hours of game play out of World Adventures, how many hours have you spent in total playing Sims 3? I've had Sims 4 for a couple years now and I have just over 2200 hours logged in total.

Sims 3? Since 2009, over 10,000 hours. Its my most played game ever. I was easily dropping 5-10 hours every day after getting home from school. More on the weekends

Yeah, so true if I was not busy and had some free time I played Sims 2 or 3 but with Sims 4 it was not that fantastic to play. Heck I used to play Sims 2 and 3 and when I log out I would log back in and play some more. However it all depends on the person and how well they like the game. Some can play the game with gimped features that is half of what the same previous features at full strength that was present in previous versions looking at CL for Sims 4 which for me was not what I expected to be. You can't place apts let alone create your own from scratch or in any other world so there goes the motto "Challenge everything" right to "Challenge Nothing". I think it is too late to do anything that would really take it to the next level. So you are right there is no true balance in this game.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »

I have no idea but i think that it has to do with the pc specs. I myself had said several times here in the forum that 3 lagged a lot and so on... but i have to admit that with a good gaming laptop it does work really smooth. And i have all eps, all sps and a few store items installed and working at once...

I have always had a gaming laptop/desktop. I own all of TS3 and 95% of the store with everything installed. Never experienced lag. I don't have it in sims 4 either.

But it really does matter what kind of processor and video card you have. If you're playing on a computer designed for simple things like browsing the web and streaming a movie, maybe doing homework and sending emails...well, it's not going to be able to handle running a game with 87 extra add-ons. 1 or 2 add-ons, maybe, but with each extra pack, the minimum requirements raises and now it's just a stuttering mess because your processor is not designed to handle it. I know gaming computers are expensive, but they're designed specifically for gaming. They won't suffer from lag or it will be a lot less than with a pc with lower specs. If you have the means, it is really worth the investment.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

No the problem with TS3 was never "bad coding" as these websites claim, it was the fact that its a game designed to run on 2009 hardware and even by 2012 GPU's were producing 200 FPS for it. The issue is TS3 was designed to run on 2 cores 3 threads and even CPU's today can't process 200 FPS in real time on 2 cores with TS3's pipeline unless you spend $400+

To fix all lag in TS3 (Nvidia) go into control panel. There is an option "Max Frame Rate", Limit it to 60 or 120 fps then disable v-sync and enable fast sync. All stuttering will disappear. Just keep in mind it takes up to 5 min to load the entire world into the GPU's memory. For the 1st 5 minutes you might see fps drops but after that you can swing your camera around on x3 speed without an issues.
    Eagle.
  • Options

As I said above (Just mentioning so you can see) The issue with TS3 is that GPU's are so powerful that they can run it at 200+FPS. The game was built with 2 cores and 3 threads hard coded and CPU's can not process 200 FPS real time on 2 cores with TS3's pipeline. To fix all Lag you have to limit FPS.

For Nvidia go to the control panel and scroll down till you see "Max Frame Rate" and limit it to 60 or 120 fps (60 is better). Then disable v-sync (Also in game) and enable fast sync. TS3 will now be as smooth as the base game without packs in 2009 was. Just keep in mind to load towns into the GPU memory takes around 5 min, during that time you will see slight stuttering but as soon as its loaded you will have 0 lag and can swing your camera around at x3 speed.
    Eagle.
  • Options
    edited April 2021

As I said above (Just mentioning so you can see) The issue with TS3 is that GPU's are so powerful that they can run it at 200+FPS. The game was built with 2 cores and 3 threads hard coded and CPU's can not process 200 FPS real time on 2 cores with TS3's pipeline. To fix all Lag you have to limit FPS.

For Nvidia go to the control panel and scroll down till you see "Max Frame Rate" and limit it to 60 or 120 fps (60 is better). Then disable v-sync (Also in game) and enable fast sync. TS3 will now be as smooth as the base game without packs in 2009 was. Just keep in mind to load towns into the GPU memory takes around 5 min, during that time you will see slight stuttering but as soon as its loaded you will have 0 lag and can swing your camera around at x3 speed.

Thanks for the tips. I have followed the steam performance guide for sims 3, that includes all those steps. It took me about half an hour to set everything, including fixed worlds to avoid routing problems. After that my game loads in less than one minute (the two loading screens combined). May also be because of the ssd drive maybe...?
  • Options

Thanks for the tips. I have followed the steam performance guide for sims 3, that includes all those steps. It took me about half an hour to set everything, including fixed worlds to avoid routing problems. After that my game loads in less than one minute (the two loading screens combined). May also be because of the ssd drive maybe...?

Its your SSD. I have a 2 TB hard drive with an i5 9600K at 5ghz. Takes me over 3 minutes to load. (Better than the 7 it used to take). I actually prefer to wait 1-3 minutes for 1 loading screen than a 10 second one between lots
    Eagle.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I don't understand why when people try to defend the Sims 4 they bring Sims 3 into the discussion out of nowhere and bash it in order to make the Sims 4 look good.
    Why does it matter if the Sims 3 did something worse, that doesn't erase the problems with the Sims 4. If the Sims 4 has room for improvement then it has room for improvement and the Sims 3 has nothing to do with it.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    I don't understand why when people try to defend the Sims 4 they bring Sims 3 into the discussion out of nowhere and bash it in order to make the Sims 4 look good.
    Why does it matter if the Sims 3 did something worse, that doesn't erase the problems with the Sims 4. If the Sims 4 has room for improvement then it has room for improvement and the Sims 3 has nothing to do with it.

Which is ironic because then if you counter argue the same people say "The Sims 4 is not TS3 stop comparing". People want to feel validated. TS4 currently costs $900. Imagine spending that then someone says "This is the worst game in the series". People will wholeheartedly defend it if they are new and don't know what TS1-3 had or they only ever watched gameplay of the previous games and never played them
    Eagle.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Which is ironic because then if you counter argue the same people say "The Sims 4 is not TS3 stop comparing". People want to feel validated. TS4 currently costs $900. Imagine spending that then someone says "This is the worst game in the series". People will wholeheartedly defend it if they are new and don't know what TS1-3 had or they only ever watched gameplay of the previous games and never played them

The Sims 4 ranked 9th on the list of games with most DLC (in price) of all time so I guess people who have bought everything have spent a looot of money on it and do feel attached to it. I just don't see what the Sims 3 ever had to do with this.

Also your last sentence is going to trigger a lot of people saying "I actually played the Sims 1, 2, 3 etc." which of course some have, exceptions exist too afterall.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I moved this thread to Game Feedback.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

This should really be priority #1. Simulation not working as intended in a simulator game is kind of embarrassing.
    Yeah it is funny. I mean it is supposed to be the Sims short for simulation. If a game isn't simulating right that is a huge red flag.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

Yeah it is funny. I mean it is supposed to be the Sims short for simulation. If a game isn't simulating right that is a huge red flag.

I mean TS3 had massive simulation lag with micro freezes but that never stopped interactions from working or made the Sims stand there for 20 minutes not moving because they are still processing commands and pathing. Which is extremely Ironic because 90% of the decisions taken when making TS4 was for it not to turn into TS3 performance yet here we are. In fact TS3 runs better than TS4..... And TS3 has 200+ concurrent interactions it needs to perform for the 150+ sims in a town vs the 2 that are on a TS4 lot.
    Eagle.