Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 game balance is a joke

ReclusiveEagleReclusiveEagle Posts: 86 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Remember in TS3 when you had to work hard to get things? And TS2 and TS1 and all the console games like Urbs and My Sims ect?

Right, So. Started a new game. Had my Sim eat 3 times in 3 days when they were hungry.
They got fat (Like ???)... decided to go to the gym. Let me tell you what happened with the click of a single button.
Keep in mind they are a new Sim with only 1 level of cooking and Free Will is turned off so they can't do anything else.

I clicked "Workout", went to go make a coffee (Which took 3 minutes irl). Left the game on Speed 1 (3-4 hours passed in game), came back to:
  1. 4 and a half Levels of fitness
  2. 3 Levels of Comedy
  3. 3 Levels of Charisma
  4. 3 New "Good friends" that my Sim met and raised their relationship with to halfway.
  5. 1 New "Best Friend" (The trainer that walked up to my Sim).
  6. A new potential romance from a random Sim that was in a flirty mood.

Like what is this?? In The Sims 3 even as a Vampire at night with frozen motives ONLY working out the entire day with "Push Limits"-
I still can't even get 4 levels in a Single day. Never mind if I actually wanted to make a friend the amount of struggled and effort I'd have to put in to become good or best friends with someone would mean spending 3-5 days with them spamming interactions.

TS4 is the definition of do nothing and get rewarded and if emotions, The "ReVoLuTioNaRy" core of the game
(That Maxis told us was the reason they didn't add pools, toddlers, basements, ghosts ect ect ect when the game first came out) - is an issue just enable the Aura on the $2 poster your Sim found on the street and completely disable all "negative" gameplay elements.

And by negative gameplay elements I mean things that slow down the game and make it take a while to progress, instead of instant gratification. It's just getting more frustrating as time goes by. And I know I'm not the only one frustrated. Like when World Adventures came out I put over 800 hours into that one expansion pack .. even before Ambitions (The 2nd pack) was released let alone after. I can't even get 80 hours of TS4 with almost all content owned. Its really, really boring, this "Click one button or better yet don't even click anything just watch" kind of gameplay.
Eagle.
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    Did the gym have any lot traits out of curiosity?

Yeah I feel like the game lacks proper balancing too. In regards to...a lot of things. Careers, needs, emotions etc. I think one of the reasons though is because the developers are putting things they shouldn't over proper game design. One annoyance to me is how sims in TS4 tarts skills at level 1...I never got that. In previous games sims started from 0.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited April 2021
    Maybe I'm playing my game wrong, but I've never managed to achieve what you have in the span of 3 IRL minutes.

Edit: I'm curious, if you managed to get 800 hours of game play out of World Adventures, how many hours have you spent in total playing Sims 3? I've had Sims 4 for a couple years now and I have just over 2200 hours logged in total.
  • greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    How is that even possible? Most of the time my sims can't even make one good friend in three minutes, not to mention a best friend, two extra good friends, and gain a whole bunch of skills. Do you play with mods?
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited April 2021
    I do personally think that the Sims 4 is a bit easy in some aspects. Money making being the worst offender, I had to use MCCC to increase my bills cause it was just laughable how fast the simoleons would pile up with one or two adults working. Relationships are ridiculously easy to make, a sim can meet another sim and be married to them within a day if the player so desires.

The problem is that I don't think a lot people play for the game difficulty. It's a story telling tool for a lot of players and difficulty is generally just an inconvenience to their plans.

I miss having some difficulty and randomness in the game. I've never been a story teller. I generally like the game to direct how my sims stories will go which sadly doesn't happen that much in the Sims 4 if I'm being honest. I tend to rely on mods mostly for my enjoyment.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I got the base game for free during one of those promotional things they do from time to time. Even so, before I downloaded it I researched the game (including player thoughts and reactions) for myself so that I'd know whether or not I wanted to even bother trying it. I like knowing what I'm getting into before I get into it. Just saying.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    edited April 2021
    I just disabled autonomy for my sim and sent her to the gym. I instructed her to workout. I watched her for 3 minutes. There were 5 other sims in the gym. No one approached her. She worked out the entire time with no interruptions.

There are no lot traits assigned and I only have one mod installed. UI Cheats.

Wonder if it could be trait related? 🤔

ETA: I instructed her to stop the workout and she stood around for a couple of minutes but still none of the other sims present made any attempt to approach her.

MDSskNV.png
  • ReclusiveEagleReclusiveEagle Posts: 86 Member
    greydonn wrote: »
    How is that even possible? Most of the time my sims can't even make one good friend in three minutes, not to mention a best friend, two extra good friends, and gain a whole bunch of skills. Do you play with mods?

Nope no mods. Like its not even rare for this kind of thing to happen in my game that's why I'm just so done with this. I can't even leave my Sims house without my neighbor constantly at my door trying to get in. This was at San Myshuno's gym btw
    Eagle.
    I just disabled autonomy for my sim and sent her to the gym. I instructed her to workout. I watched her for 3 minutes. There were 5 other sims in the gym. No one approached her. She worked out the entire time with no interruptions.

There are no lot traits assigned and I only have one mod installed. UI Cheats.

Wonder if it could be trait related? 🤔

ETA: I instructed her to stop the workout and she stood around for a couple of minutes but still none of the other sims present made any attempt to approach her.

MDSskNV.png

Traits are "Creative, Art Lover, Foodie".
    And its not a rare thing to go out and have people just talk to my Sims. Every possible free will interaction is disabled, No mods nothing
    Eagle.
    edited April 2021
    filipomel wrote: »
    Maybe I'm playing my game wrong, but I've never managed to achieve what you have in the span of 3 IRL minutes.

Edit: I'm curious, if you managed to get 800 hours of game play out of World Adventures, how many hours have you spent in total playing Sims 3? I've had Sims 4 for a couple years now and I have just over 2200 hours logged in total.

Sims 3? Since 2009, over 10,000 hours. Its my most played game ever. I was easily dropping 5-10 hours every day after getting home from school. More on the weekends
    Eagle.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

Yeah I feel like the game lacks proper balancing too. In regards to...a lot of things. Careers, needs, emotions etc. I think one of the reasons though is because the developers are putting things they shouldn't over proper game design. One annoyance to me is how sims in TS4 tarts skills at level 1...I never got that. In previous games sims started from 0.

Just the Gym breeze thing. San Myshuno gym.
    Eagle.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021

Yeah...that makes sims energized while working out. I've been to that gym and if the gym trainer autonomously mentors your sim while that buff is active they'll level up like crazy.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

Yeah...that makes sims energized while working out. I've been to that gym and if the gym trainer autonomously mentors your sim while that buff is active they'll level up like crazy.

The worst part is they were inspired the whole time I was there. Had +3 from traits and painting
    Eagle.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,879 Member
    I get the fitness level with all boosts and training, also that trainer being friend, as that does happen fast.
    But also charisma and comedy? 3 levels in both too, in 3 minutes?
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Oh yeah have you tried Retail lately? Your sim will end up being friends with the whole world because of how much you need to socialize to make a sale and guess what sims also get sentiments with customers they just met...

Not to talk about how unbalanced the income is and how rich you can get in a few hours of gameplay. Or how easy some jobs are. One example, I have never failed an audition in the acting career since Get Famous came out.

Also another completely unbalanced system is this game is the social event system. I have gold events even when I'm trying to make them bad. The meter fills up to gold in the first few seconds, what's the point?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    The multi-tasking feature allows for Sims to level up more than one skill at once. I've seen three increased at a time once in my own game although I don't usually pay attention to it. Sounds like your Sim was doing a lot. If you have a lot of packs you end up with a lot of potential skills, so this feature can be a help for those who are juggling multiple Sims. On the other hand, it can also take control away from the player by granting extra skills through autonomy. This can get frustrating. I've had to use cheats sometimes to actually remove certain skills from some of my Sims because they didn't fit the personality.

I wonder if the multitasking feature can be tuned down or if it's just a thing that does what it does. Also, I suspect that all Sims have autonomous behaviors regardless of the toggle, because I've heard of other people having issues with rampant autonomy after disabling.

You could try making a bug report on EA's Answer HQ site or posting about it in the feedback section.
    #Team Occult
    edited April 2021
    Oh yeah have you tried Retail lately? Your sim will end up being friends with the whole world because of how much you need to socialize to make a sale and guess what sims also get sentiments with customers they just met...

Not to talk about how unbalanced the income is and how rich you can get in a few hours of gameplay. Or how easy some jobs are. One example, I have never failed an audition in the acting career since Get Famous came out.

Also another completely unbalanced system is this game is the social event system. I have gold events even when I'm trying to make them bad. The meter fills up to gold in the first few seconds, what's the point?

Yessir, basically as long as you have a "positive" emotion (Which again can basically be selected as you please at this point) you will never have a negative or failed interaction. And even if you do you pass it or its an extremely negligible negative that only results in a moodlet that doesn't override anything.

Even death in this game is a minor shoulder shrug. I get that its great to have the game play how you want it to play with no negatives unless its intentional but that's what cheats are for. Making it the default option with no say or negative consequences just destroys all core aspects of not just Sims 4 but the entire franchise.

Again, when literal death only last a few moments or becomes so inconsequential that it leaves the player unbothered because of all the extremely easy and cheap ways to instantly bring them back like nothing happened, then what even is the point of having negative traits and moodlets at all.
    Eagle.
    edited April 2021
    I get the fitness level with all boosts and training, also that trainer being friend, as that does happen fast.
    But also charisma and comedy? 3 levels in both too, in 3 minutes?

Because when you disable free will a single chat option results in a conversation loop that never ends unless you cancel it. Your Sim will literally pick and cycle endlessly through random friendly and funny conversation options until they either need to pee, eat or pass out from sleep. I'm guessing that's how that happened. Try it, your Sims will talk to each other for 20+ hours if their needs are full with a single click of any social interaction.
    Eagle.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited April 2021
    If a Sim went to a gym with a household member I guess it's possible that they could have run on treadmills next to one another and chatted which would have boosted Fitness and Charisma. If the treadmills were in front of a television, it's possible that they could have watched the Romance channel and gotten flirty. If Caleb shows up at a gym, he always changes it to the Cooking channel so my Sims tend to level the Cooking skill. I don't know about three levels though. Mine stop using a treadmill when the little timer gets full or they get tired. If they're not tired then they'll usually start using a different piece of equipment.

I've recently seen several of my Sims start knitting while they're using a workout machine. They got credit for both the Fitness and Knitting skills. Pretty smart.

Trainers do get to Good Friend status just by training even though they haven't actually met the Sim they're training, which is really annoying. They start calling right away wanting to visit and hang out or with invitation to meet them somewhere.

I've removed the Convivial trait from most of my venues because bartenders seem to be motivated to leave the bar to sit and chat with customers instead of serving drinks.

I agree that many parts of the game include a lot of mandatory socializing with Sims you have no interest in knowing.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited April 2021
    I think because the game has a very small amount of obstacles - things that pull you back - it makes it kind of easy to achieve max level in almost all skills. I never saw my sims gain that many friends and level that many skills in 3 minutes, but it's def easy to skill up and make friends and even marry in the same day two sims meet.

I don't think sims 4 balance is broken though. I think it has a different balance than 3. I feel 4 is more connected to criativity and control. It has unique capabilities to create any story. While 3 is more like the game throws at you a lot of different options that will lead your sim in a unique life path.
    I feel that in 4 i lead the game, while in 3 the game leads me.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    When a game makes you feel like you're cheating to me that is being inbalanced. It's like the game is forever stuck in "free mode".

I always figured that's what all the cheats are there for. To give you a certain control. I personally don't see it as a good thing that the game feels almost cheaty in its attempt to give you more control (when in fact it takes a lot of your control and customizability away a lot of the times, like when it comes to worlds or controlling your population, or your sims action).

It's like the game is trying to give you control to "make believe" stories but at the same time it interferes with them constantly.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    texxx78 wrote: »
    I think because the game has a very small amount of obstacles - things that pull you back - it makes it kind of easy to achieve max level in almost all skills. I never saw my sims gain that many friends and level that many skills in 3 minutes, but it's def easy to skill up and make friends and even marry in the same day two sims meet.

I don't think sims 4 balance is broken though. I think it has a different balance than 3. I feel 4 is more connected to criativity and control. It has unique capabilities to create any story. While 3 is more like the game throws at you a lot of different options that will lead your sim in a unique life path.
    I feel like it is less focused on creativity. The game pretty much tells you what to do and basically tells your how to do your story rather than giving you the creativity to make whatever story you want to.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    texxx78 wrote: »

I feel like it is less focused on creativity. The game pretty much tells you what to do and basically tells your how to do your story rather than giving you the creativity to make whatever story you want to.

If you choose to follow the checklists, then yeah. But you don't have to do it.
    But i agree it's much funnier to find out stuff by oneself then to be explained everything from the get go.
    edited April 2021
    When a game makes you feel like you're cheating to me that is being inbalanced. It's like the game is forever stuck in "free mode".

I always figured that's what all the cheats are there for. To give you a certain control. I personally don't see it as a good thing that the game feels almost cheaty in its attempt to give you more control (when in fact it takes a lot of your control and customizability away a lot of the times, like when it comes to worlds or controlling your population, or your sims action).

It's like the game is trying to give you control to "make believe" stories but at the same time it interferes with them constantly.

Exactly and even if that was the case why then add emotions which are made to make it harder and make your sim more life like. But then they decide "Nah lets just aura everything and add sentiments to boost existing emotions and give players a 1 button press to change the emotion into the one they want".

Nvm the fact that if they actually wanted to give us full control they need to add things for us to do... The 4 lot neighborhood with 2 random joggers now and then is really not cutting it. Nvm the fact that its not like TS2 doesn't give players control, or TS3 or any sims game ever. Overcoming randomness IS control. Because you do it YOUR way.

With things like Seasons I understand wanting to change, disable or control certain weather. TS2 does that TS3 does that its fine. You can make whatever season you want when you want. That's acceptable. But the entire point of TS4 from the very beginning has been this modular mentality of "Don't like Insert here? Turn it off."

TS4 in 2021 is basically don't like it? Turn it off.
    1. Don't want friends? Turn them off
    2. Emotions? Turn them off with a single click.
    3. Death? minor inconvenience. Here are 45 different ways to turn it off.
    4. Seasons? Turn them off
    5. Vampires? Turn them off.
    6. Celebrity fame gains per sim? Turn it off (Ok this one is actually good)
    7. Jobs? Turn them off.
    8. Gardening a "Chore" even though its literally the easiest we could possibly make it? Turn it off with auto water and garden.

Like at this point just give me random dust fairies that give you money and random $10k items. Oh wait...... They did. :|
    Eagle.
  • LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2021
    I really don't understand your complaints. The game is a sandbox with choices that allow you create entire worlds to meet individual game goals, personal preferences or just to mix things up. Sometime I'll start a game with certain features enabled and others disabled. Personally I'd like more options. Sometimes I'd like to turn all the occults off completely to build a more realistic world and sometimes I'd like there to be only one certain type of occult in my game. Alas, we cannot.
    Post edited by Lazzial on
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited April 2021
    A 4/3/3 with four friends takes me three sim days in normal gameplay, so that illustrates the impact of playstyle (story driven Vs. optimized). For a gamer/achiever mindset Sims 4 maybe just isn't the right toy.

Balancing weirdness is not only in the time it takes to achieve something, here's another example: The cowberry was supposed to be a rare object gained by grafting. Then they changed how grafting works and made the berry an ultra-rare occurence. However, at the same time the same berry comes up all the time through fishing and dumpster diving. As a result we now have a collectable that is both ultra-rare and very common.
    For a goal-oriented gamer it is obvious that they have to send their sim fishing if they want to grow a cowplant. Bamm, game is easy-peasy. To the contrary a simmer who wants to roleplay a gardener mightl struggle, provided they choose the bug house as fertilizer source, but will have it easy if they use fishing. So it's a coin toss between challenging or mindnumbingly boring.