Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is your opinion on the current state of TS4 contentwise?

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Ok but could be better...
    Sigzy05 wrote: Β»
    It came a long way since 2014, but it could and should’ve been a lot better. I think lackluster expansion packs have really held it down significantly.

Man do they?...

I really wish they went back and "redid" the retail system. It's so bare bones and boring as it is now and one of my favorite features to play with in TS2 OFB. Mashing active careers and the business system was an awful decision....don't know what they were thinking. Dine Out and Retail should have been in one pack and retail should have been far far better.
    I agree that they should go back and redo retail, but I also think that, we should have to pay for clothes and keep them in our dressers to be able to use each piece our sims use ( per household). I would have really enjoyed retail clothes buying that way. Also we shouldn’t get free food from the fridge. I think not having to buy clothes, and free food were basic flaws from the beginning, just like object babies were a mistake, they really need to update them too. I miss the color wheel a lot too, I sure wish they could go back and incorporate it.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2021
    Not good, don't spend much money on it.
    Sigzy05 wrote: Β»
    It came a long way since 2014, but it could and should’ve been a lot better. I think lackluster expansion packs have really held it down significantly.

Man do they?...

I really wish they went back and "redid" the retail system. It's so bare bones and boring as it is now and one of my favorite features to play with in TS2 OFB. Mashing active careers and the business system was an awful decision....don't know what they were thinking. Dine Out and Retail should have been in one pack and retail should have been far far better.
    I agree that they should go back and redo retail, but I also think that, we should have to pay for clothes and keep them in our dressers to be able to use each piece our sims use ( per household). I would have really enjoyed retail clothes buying that way. Also we shouldn’t get free food from the fridge. I think not having to buy clothes, and free food were basic flaws from the beginning, just like object babies were a mistake, they really need to update them too. I miss the color wheel a lot too, I sure wish they could go back and incorporate it.

I am 100% with you. I wish they implemented a grocery system like TS2 but perhaps a bit more detailed where sims have to buy ingredients like in TS3. An amalgamation of both and the option to order groceries from the computer/phone too with a delivery NPC. Right now it doesn't even make sense. The recipes that you have ingredients for should be free but we simply pay less...so it's not worthwhile to even get the harvestables for the recipes right now.

Also I think with the Nifty Knitting additions to the UI and such they could definitely implement a system where all CAS items are locked and to unlock them for the household we simply buy them at retail. Though they'd have to add grocery stores and clothing stores to the BG (just not ownable which I'm totally fine with). Either way I would be 100% on board, I miss this layer of realism from the game a lot and it's one of the reasons why I regard TS2 on a higher place than TS4.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    Go back to TS3 (So basically not playing TS4 at all).
    I went back to #2 and #3. Just can't take it anymore with this current version.
  • Options
    OrangemonOrangemon Posts: 16 Member
    I don't want to cause an argument, but as a more casual player of the sims franchise, can someone who still prefers the Sims 3 compared to Sims 4 as of 2021 please explain why and whats missing from 4 now in its current state that makes it so allegedly bad? Granted I am saying this with only the Sims 3 base game but having Sims 4 with basically half the total packs:

a) Sims 3 to my casual perspective has an open world yes but it doesnt do anything particularly special with it that neighbourhoods doesnt acheive in Sims 4?

b) Sims 3 has transportation, but it doesnt add to the game, and everytime I get on a bike or car I press the speed up button

c) Sims 3 has too many rabbit holes. And yes, going back to base game, nearly every communal lot seems to be a rabbit hole, even public events at places like the hot dog diner don't take place inside the diner and take place on the picnic table outside it. At least in Sims 4 base game neighbourhood Willow Creek, communal lots actually function immersively.

d) Sim personalities and moods - well everyone has been using personality please, slice of life, etc for years already in sims 4?
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I"m now playing Sims3, and just got Ambitions, and am amazed at the fact that sure, it's $20, BUT: you get, essentially, Go To Work, Laundry Day, and Eco Lifestyle all in one pack with Ambitions, plus a lot more, like a chopper (motorcycle) option for your ride, and the ability to swim in the ocean. The bunkbeds just added to Sims4? Those came standard in Generations, along with a lot more. Plus autonomy sliders, colorwheel and a design tool that lets you customize everything and even transfer saved swatches of materials, finishes, colors, from one object to another, in case you want drapes that match the upholstery or love a sofa but want it in leather instead, and want leather-topped barstools to match.

The Sims4 has far more of a universe of mods, but that's because it really needs them, to be worth playing. Sims3 brought back the sensation that these are "pixel people" rather than paperdolls.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Totally worth it!
    Considering where this game started and how I almost canceled my pre-order, but decided to give it a go, instead. I'm very happy with all the additions, changes and hope for more. There is always room for improvement in anything. And the base game was so very barren, it was difficult for me to play on a daily basis, so I just didn't. But, I did like the Sims themselves, well over the ones in Sims3. Vast improvement. Not quite as quirky and fun as those in Sims2, but still I didn't find myself having to start conversations at the dinner table, as I did in Sims3. I do play with mods, and I have sought cc, but that's primarily 18th century clothing, dΓ©cor and whatnot, for my Ancestral game save. I have all but five packs, too. And I love the kits. Bought all three the day before the patch. And I do play this game almost on a daily basis, depending on what I have going on. But on the majority, I play daily.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Sunflowergal227Sunflowergal227 Posts: 305 Member
    Totally worth it!
    Okay so the base game of ts4: it is fun, i love the open options of CAS, and how lovely the graphics look. i also like some of the neighborhoods, although wish they could be a little bigger. The sims 3 base game: eh- i always felt ts3 was a bit buggy, especially after adding some eps/sps. Something to bear in mind: i wanted seasons to come with the base game for TS3! The base game of the sims 2 is really fun, and in all reality easily playable from start to finish without adding the sps/eps. For instance you can have relationships with family members and friends, and you may have to work hard to maintain the relationship. Although nightlife added the attraction system, which helped build up the relationship faster should you choose to do so.
    Anyways back to the sims 4,
    i don't have every Ep/Sp/pack but i do have GTW, UNI, Seasons, Parenthood, and Spooky Stuff. planning to get a few more as well. i feel that they do add lots of content- however, they should have bundled some of the content: for instance stuff from Spooky Stuff could be in Seasons (and also having a halloween event!) Even the bust the dust kit could have came with laundry stuff. just a food for thought. i think every ep/sp/ pack adds something interesting to the base game. so far i haven;t been bored yet! and enjoy my newest Ep get to work!
    Favorite EP/SP
    Sims 2 (All EPs/SPs)
    Sims 3 Showtime
    Sims 3 Generations
    My Sims 3 profile page: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Sunflowergal227
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    whats missing from 4 now in its current state that makes it so allegedly bad?
      Some things from past base games, which I feel Sims 4 needs:
    • Police and burglars, which added some suspense, unpredictability and story potential.
    • Freed babies
    • Many romantic interactions. The ones we have are very chaste or awkward
    • Many multi-sim activities.
    • Create-a-World, which is probably more important here than in other games because the worlds are so small and we're limited to 3 unless you buy packs.
    • Wants and fears. We have whims, but they gave up on those and hid them.
    • The private school system.
    • Body hair
    • 5 traits for sims, instead of 3
    • Cars and garages
    • A normal telescope
    • Personal sim bios
    • Spiral stairs
    • Swimming in neighborhoods (Sims 3 pre-Seasons patch. We had a nerfed version of this patched in for Sims 4 for a hot minute, but they removed it.)
    • The Zodiac system

Obviously some of these are small, but we still need them. And a lot of these are pretty big and would go a long way towards fixing the game.
    a) Sims 3 to my casual perspective has an open world yes but it doesnt do anything particularly special with it that neighbourhoods doesnt acheive in Sims 4?
    Open World isn't everyone's cup of tea. I liked it, but I don't miss it all that much, either. And there were some nasty caveats to it. That said, there's a lot of benefit to it: it added immersion, you can have your sim roam around and explore on a huge level, you can stalk other sims, it gave transportation even more use, no loading screens while you explore, and you can see your sim go to work/school.
    b) Sims 3 has transportation, but it doesnt add to the game, and everytime I get on a bike or car I press the speed up button
    In Sims 3, transportation made traveling the open world a lot easier and faster. It also added more immersion, could be stolen, and gave you something to work towards. In Generations, teens could try and get their license. With Sims 2, you could also sit inside a car and listen to music, WooHoo, and get a car alarm to help prevent burglaries.

Cars aren't integral to the game's success, but they add a lot of fun and are popular for a reason. Like laundry or vacuuming, except way more helpful and useful for everyday life.
    c) Sims 3 has too many rabbit holes. And yes, going back to base game, nearly every communal lot seems to be a rabbit hole, even public events at places like the hot dog diner don't take place inside the diner and take place on the picnic table outside it. At least in Sims 4 base game neighbourhood Willow Creek, communal lots actually function immersively.
    Yeah, a lot of people didn't like the rabbit holes in Sims 3. That was one of the things that got S4 a lot of praise in the day. Sadly, Sims 4's been getting more rabbit holes and short cuts as of late.
    d) Sim personalities and moods - well everyone has been using personality please, slice of life, etc for years already in sims 4?
    Not everyone does, or even can use mods. Mods can't be the answer to everything. The game should fix its own content, instead of relying on other people who could abandon their project at a moment's notice. And even then, there's only so much modders can do, while the devs can make large and important changes to the system.

Personality should be less of an issue going forward though, from what it looks like.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Sims 4 just felt like it took a step back when looking at features made popular in Sims 3 and older generations that just got left out. As the current form of the franchise not carrying over what its older siblings did is sad.

Along with it feeling even more that it’s been up to the awesome modding community to come up with fixes.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2021
    Totally worth it!
    I clicked "Totally" as it's been keeping me sane this last year and even the bugs (I don't get many) wake my brain up a bit getting around them.

There may be bugs but I see them being overcome gradually. Building has come a long way and that's what I enjoy most at the moment. That, and filling all the worlds with my own Sims.
  • Options
    Winifred_WillowWinifred_Willow Posts: 423 Member
    I love TS3 and TS4. Sims 4 is entertaining up to a point for me. Sims 3 certainly has more going for it as far as features, quirky actual personalities, and content. Sims 4 is missing so much content in comparison. Sure TS4 has cute graphics and the game runs pretty smooth, build and buy features are pretty great when compared to TS3-but that's about it. TS3 has more to do in the game. I would like to see more for Sims 4.
  • Options
    Alys_ParinaAlys_Parina Posts: 19 Member
    I've been really into playing the sims lately and being active on the forums. I've only ever played the sims 4 and I love it, but I can see through reading other people's comments--particularly on this thread, @Gordy made some good points I think--that there's some stuff missing, but I wasn't sure what to vote. For me, I really love the sims 4, but I don't have a history with other sims games and therefore nothing to really compare it to.

For me, it's really great. I know it could be better, and there are some great original suggestions and suggestions from the sims 3 stuff that didn't make it over (making your own worlds sounds amazing; cars might be cool, too, but I don't know all the logistics around it), but overall I'd agree with the people saying, "I think the sims 4 is good, but it could definitely be better"
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    edited April 2021
    TS4 Base game is pretty good but can't imagine playing only with Newcrest, Willow Creek and Oasis Springs. It has some good content but compared to the gameplay of The Sims 2 and The Sims 3, it gets boring pretty quickly. I remember staying up all night playing the old games even with no expansion packs and I could always find new stuff to enjoy. I miss that quirky humor of the first generations of the game, maybe it was because I was a kid, who knows.

It has gotten better but for a 7 year old game, still feels like it lacks some stuff compared to TS3+EPs.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    edited April 2021
    While I do play TS4 when the mood strikes on occasion, am happiest with TS2. TS3 has been doing better the past months, but there are still 2 major fails that ruin the fun for me - no tied to household story capability and no true rotational play. The first really wrecks my enjoyment of TS4. DLC, regardless of quality - which is often lackluster in TS4, does not, can not, make up for those problems.
  • Options
    SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    Since the last time I rated it, a lot of things happened. We got university, witches, mountain world, skiing, Asian inspired world, lifestyle/sentiments etc. I feel like Sims are slightly more aware of their environment today. So, a lot better than a simple "ok" but still could get even better.
  • Options
    AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    Totally worth it!
    I voted worth it because I spend an entire weekend playing it after buying it years ago and dumping it after a few hours of play. I was very surprised how deep the gameplay has become in The Sims 4. But ... the price tag is so hefty. I bought a few DLC packs in sale and now it almost feels like they had a good game from the start and then sliced it all up in no logical sense to boost profits. And the thing is that I had to buy like "the worst ranked" DLC like Get Together to get the backbone of The Sims working. But overall the has become amazing compared to what I got when it came out for consoles
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    I would say I'm halfway between not worth it and could be better. Its improved vastly over the years, but theres still so much that needs improving, fixing or is still absent.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    I play it occasionally, but I haven't really spent any money on it.
    I don't like that my sims just float through life, directionless with a ":D" expression all the time. I mean yeah, I could dictate every detail of their life, but it's not as rewarding.
  • Options
    temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    Ok but could be better... just needs more Occult CAS options.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I said "Not Good" however I do have all the packs but I chose that because for the amount of packs they have, the content still isn't that great. I find myself playing for shorter periods of time because I just run out of things for my Sims to do. Sure you can take your Sims to a club or a cafe or the park, but even then, the things you can do on those lots are so limited before I get bored and send my Sims back home.

The game just needs depth. There's content there, but the gameplay lacks the depth to make it worthwhile.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    hmm... idk I guess I'll put it this way:
    ts1:
    loved old emperor, things might have been different in his day and he might have made some dodgy choices on certain things but people still love to think back on glam of his reign and appreciate him even in his death... I mean after all he founded this beautiful kingdom

ts2: old emperors son, well raised and very passionate in everything they do, however court was not quite ready for this emperors ambitions and he might have discarded few things that made old emperors era shine but people also love this emperor for all he did for them and appreciate his hard work and new changes to kingdom.

ts3: old emperors sons son, quite ambitious indeed, wanted to dominate all land he can find, find all treasures he can find, wielded great military power...
    but what he failed to see is actual well being of his people and schemes in his harem and problems in his court and so he dies young... at hands of his most loved new consorts future and island... yes beautiful as they may have been.. but also oh so vicious

ts4: son of old emperors sons son
    raised to throne too early, too young.
    even now his life is constantly threathened and he struggles to stand up to the expectations given to him based on 3 last emperors

he is bit out of touch with the court and has yet to gain peoples trust

do i believe he would make fine emperor one day would he be given the chance?
    do i believe in his ambitions?
    perhaps.
    but will he last until its his time to shine?
    will he survive the heavy fire blasting from all sides of court?
    who knows.

perhaps with enough great teachers and hard work he shall rise to be emperor people hoped for and his great plan would be realized and kingdom would flourish...

but before that his only son ts5 might start rebellion and take over

or perhaps the invading armies from other countries will take advantage of political situation...

who knows.

and if you ask me id rather see bit more of ts4 reign than support his rebel son.
    dude has to wait his turn.

i don't think ts4 is quite where he would like to be yet but he be trying i think

bruh didnt think im gonna write whole fanfic about that but ur welcome lmao 4am brain

in short: ts4 is mostly okay...

i just wish it could learn few things from ts1,2 and 3

and got bit more...idk epic? fabulous? absolutely stunning?

there is lot to do before ts4 can reach where id like it to be but i feel there is still possibility of that happening if they put their minds to it
    at very least ts4 do be having that main character potential
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey there! FYI: I moved this thread to the Game Feedback section. :)
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Honestly, The Sims 4 offers nothing new to the franchise besides intuitive tools for cas and build/buy. If I already have The Sims 3 complete and all of its content is better why should I care about The Sims 4?
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited April 2021
    Honest answer: I don't know.

There are things about TS4 I really like, but there are also so many ways in which I just get annoyed. And the majority of those things have to do with animations, object interactions, and personalities. I hate the swirling for everything instead of real animations, I want them to actually take things out of the cupboard, put back objects after they've used them instead of just dropping them straight into their inventories, have smaller items to interact with, have waaaay more group activities, stop getting up to hug each other in the middle of dinner, have more distinct personalities, less overpowering gameplay systems (looking at you EL), ... .

And perhaps, most of all, I wish everything in TS4 wasn't so uniquely tied to objects - a lot of the gameplay we get is very object-focused in a way that feels really different from the older games, even if I fail to explain exactly why or how. And it makes a lot of the content feel kinda shallow and inauthentic.

So, while I enjoy playing it, I feel these things are bothering me more rather than less as the game grows. There is a lot of fun in TS4, there really is. But its content is still, to this day, lacking depth, and this actually puts me off playing it more and more often, for longer and longer stretches of time. I find that really quite unfortunate, actually.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2021
    omg, you guys actually have over 40+ packs?...lol and still don't have much of what you wanted in content or gameplay. In 40 packs (no matter what they are) they still haven't added an attractions system, just now getting around to trying to improve any depth to traits, which is still questionable, still don't have any note worthy generational gameplay for family players, still don't have the most loved cult characters and gameplay, still don't have a way to Edit your neighborhoods, still don't have a tool for world or even empty templates for you to build your own towns/worlds, still don't have any tool supplied by Maxis to add your own swatches for floors and walls, still don't have a tool supplied by Maxis to color your own clothes, and or objects, still don't have all the roof options in the other games, still don't have any memories for Sims, or fears, and or other deeper gameplay. What the heck is in TS4 other than clutter at this point, and your Sim still can't swim in any body of water in the game..And what I just said isn't even half of what is still not in the game after 40+ packs...

I guess that $1000 anyone would have paid by now, if at full price for each pack was just a drop in the bucket until 'someday' you see any of the stuff I just mentioned. It's more like $1000 for 40 packs of 50gbs of clutter. ROFL And worst of all, still can't slow dance with a Sim let alone face each other without a crowd. :p How much is anyone willing to pay $2000? until they see slow dancing or even facing each other..and wait for it, still can't drive a car as if they were never invented. :o How am I supposed to suspend my disbelief and believe no one in TS4 can drive and or even heard of a car when the game is making them walk from the snowy caps of a mountain to the blazing desert...please, TS4 is an ok game but it's not worth $700-$900 to get clutter even if it was a white shelf. And here is the real kicker, TS3 actually has most of what I just mentioned and all of what TS4 has (mostly) in 11 packs in TS3 plus any correction in a patch etc. And it didn't cost anyone over $1,000 and still has more in it than TS4 will ever see.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.