Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Wasn't There A Mention About This? Pronoun Changes?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    So is it actually happening or not?lol im confused

Like I said, just lazy coding that's been going on since the base game.
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    There haven’t been any modifications to pronouns in the text. The instances that neutral language is used have always been like that, and it’s just shortcuts being completely honest, which is why they are not consistently applied throughout. I don’t think pronoun changes are going to be pushed to the front of the development list because it would be a lot of work for little/no payoff, but even if they did I don’t think it’s something to get mad about having in the game.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don‘t want my female or male sims to be addressed as they/them. 🐸🐸🐸🐸? How is excluding 99.9% of society being inclusive? I’m so tired of this mess.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    So is it actually happening or not?lol im confused

I didn't notice any they/them popups until a couple weeks ago, so I assumed it was a change. But other people are saying they've been seeing those forever and it's just differences in coding.
    I rarely read popups. 99% of the time I only glance at them to see the topic. So the latter could certainly be the case.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Alys_ParinaAlys_Parina Posts: 19 Member
    > @lisamwitt said:
    > I didn't notice any they/them popups until a couple weeks ago, so I assumed it was a change. But other people are saying they've been seeing those forever and it's just differences in coding.

Yeah, me too, and being newer to the game I assumed it was a change.

I feel like I kind of see where everyone is coming from--it can be weird reading it if you're not familiar with using they/them pronouns a lot (which I assume most people aren't; I know I've slipped up before...), but I think they're still important.

Simple solution imo: give players the option in CAS to choose pronouns for that particular sim. I mean, maybe it's not as simple as it sounds (I don't know how to code or anything like that, certainly not in relation a video game) but it would be the easiest solution to my mind. It would give more options for playing gender nonconforming sims and whatnot too :P the default pronouns could just be based on the frame (male or female) and then everyone's happy
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    There haven’t been any modifications to pronouns in the text. The instances that neutral language is used have always been like that, and it’s just shortcuts being completely honest, which is why they are not consistently applied throughout. I don’t think pronoun changes are going to be pushed to the front of the development list because it would be a lot of work for little/no payoff, but even if they did I don’t think it’s something to get mad about having in the game.

I don't think anyone is mad about the option of other pronouns, but people don't want the language to be made neutral and for their male and female sims to be turned into they/thems. It's exactly the same as how nonconforming people don't want their sims to be called he/she, wanting representation goes both ways 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Onverser wrote: »

I don't think anyone is mad about the option of other pronouns, but people don't want the language to be made neutral and for their male and female sims to be turned into they/thems. It's exactly the same as how nonconforming people don't want their sims to be called he/she, wanting representation goes both ways 🤷‍♀️

That’s valid, although I doubt EA would pull a polarizing stunt like removing gender altogether.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited April 2021
    It doesn't look like it's changed to me at all. Maybe people are noticing it in game because someone mentioned it (made a big deal of a few phrases). Different packs have things worded differently and how it's worded depends on the one(s) that gets the job of doing it. Most of the latest packs still have a lot of she and he types of phrases including the latest kit. Heck, in the knitting pack we had added in Lord or Lady of the Knits Aspirations and the one you see for your sim depends on the gender you chose for your sim starting out.
    Again, I really wouldn't mind a sweeping change to make things consistent (although not sure I'd like for developers to be putting time into doing that). Many of the drop downs, moodlets ect.. I see just refer to your sim as a sim.. but if they did that I'm really sure they would take credit for it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Queen_ZelyndaQueen_Zelynda Posts: 16 Member
    I've seen it in my game, but it didn't bother me. I figured it was:

(A) Trying to cover all the bases and not offend anyone by calling them the wrong _specific_ gender, or

(B)...with the different gender options and the ability to name and dress your characters however you want, rather than write a complicated algorithm that looked for things like body shape, clothing preference or first name on every single Sim before assigning them a pronoun and then remembering it, they just went "SCREW it!" and call everybody "they" _because it's EASIER_.

Or (C), a mix of A and B, which I think is the most likely.

When I saw it, I was just like "Oh. I wasn't expecting that, but it _is_ (at the time) 2020. Okay." and went on with my day.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    What pop-up did you see specifically that you say was changed? Since my game hasn't been updated in a while, I could check for you.

@LJK
    I believe this is the picture Cinebar was referring to.

uIh7MR4.png

Original here.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/988174/lets-find-those-trait-improvements/p1
    Wow this is horrible that sentence does not even make sense it sounds like its talking about multiple people.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    LJK wrote: »
    What pop-up did you see specifically that you say was changed? Since my game hasn't been updated in a while, I could check for you.

@LJK
    I believe this is the picture Cinebar was referring to.

uIh7MR4.png

Original here.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/988174/lets-find-those-trait-improvements/p1
    Wow this is horrible that sentence does not even make sense it sounds like its talking about multiple people.

At least it is a grammatically correct complete sentence with punctuation.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    SimChic1SimChic1 Posts: 3,449 Member
    edited April 2021
    Clearly no one here who is saying they/them is grammatically incorrect "bEcAuSe It'S pLuRaL" has studied English. Historically, they/them has been used to signify a singular speaker before. The first known recorded instance of this was in 1375. As much as you would all like to think you're perscriptivists, you truly aren't because you do not know the correct usage of terms or else you would have known that they/them falls in line with traditional usage. If you're reading what I wrote and you have no idea what perscriptivism is, then you shouldn't be up in arms about they/them being used in a singular sense.

It really is not a big deal and this hatred for they/them pronouns stems from ignorance.
  • Options
    EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    edited April 2021
    Hey there!

There have been a good few comments in this discussion that were inappropriate and targeted. That is not okay and against the forum rules as you all know. And because it has been a constant back-and-forth that is going very much in the same direction as an older discussion on this topic, I'm closing this thread before we will reach that level again.

Thank you for your constructive feedback though!

- Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top