Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Carl's Guide: A History of the Sims 4

Comments

• Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited March 2021
    logion wrote: »
    I did not watch it. Carl is now the whiny "wannabe LGR".. anyhow I am sure he makes great amount of money at his patreon at these days. Good for him :)

I think it's good that we have people like Carl, the sims community don't have many youtubers left with a large amount of subscribers that focus on constructive criticism. We do see the occasional video with that from other larger youtubers like James Turner and Plumbella but Carl have a good way to analyze these things more in detail which I think is a good thing.
    Deligracy, James' girlfriend actually did provide constructive criticism on packs last year and got attacked by her own community over it so much she had to take a break from social media, so I see Youtubers getting fed up not being allowed to express a real opinion without some fans bullying them over it. It isn't healthy the bullying that has been allowed to thrive during this iteration over having any constructive feedback. Communication is at skill level 1 during the Sims 4. Carl is just a good example of another. He was 100% supportive so interesting to see him treated like I was because I used to love the Sims 4 before all the fun and consequences got nerfed out of it. It no longer became a fantasy or life Sim game, but an only take pictures of single Young Adults game. Game was designed for Twitter posts and nothing else it feels like. Even Youtubers struggle to get any story out of this game.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I like the Sims 4. I can do what I want and there's not really any obstacle to overcome. I found Sims 2 to be too challenging. I didn't like the aspiration meter, the wants and fears, and the need decay was too fast. I got bored playing Sims 3. I find it boring to watch and wait while my Sim walks from one side of town to the other. The game was also very laggy and didn't run well on my computer. Sims 4 is the first Sims game where I don't need cheats to keep on top of their needs. It's easy to get promotions or do well in school, build relationships, and skill up in whatever I want my Sim to be good at. Sims 4 really suits me and my way of playing.

To preface this, I’m glad you found a Sims game which meshes better with your style of play, and I wouldn’t want them to radically redesign TS4 to take that away from you.

But I don’t think the solution for everyone is to strip the game entirely of fun gameplay systems and make retained systems like Needs way too easy to manage. Not at all insinuating you are, but I’m personally not someone that lives vicariously through my Sims. Keeping the game in normal mode and watching them slowly ski, rowboat, or go to the spa does absolutely nothing for me. That’s all visual stuff. I need depth/meaning behind it, and I need to feel like the game is challenging me in some capacity, otherwise I leave. And I don’t even think it needs to be complex. Things to the extent of TS2’s dating or headmaster system were fine enough.

I’ve said it before, but I definitely think they should make a simplified sandbox mode for players like you and a life simulation mode for players like myself that want challenge, risk, and spontaneity.

In previous games, the solution for those types of players was the sheer amount of cheats included. They could have instant money and max motives. That was easy mode.

Yeah, and I think that worked well enough, personally. Simplifying the game does so little, as I am sure those same people use cheats regardless.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I agree with most of what Carl said (just a few little disagreements here and there but the general premise, yes) and I hope to add more to this conversation when I have time because I think it's a very good discussion and an important one.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    PreCiious wrote: »

I think its sad, that this game is about the players and not so much about the sims themselfs, basically confirming that its also the community that keeps the game a float. I dont like how they made this game a tool for a safe space to express yourself. Everything is a trigger. Maybe thats why we dont have burglars. I dont like how they try to make this game a second life kind of thing you know? Or how they try to be Diverse(TM) or politicial. I liked it better when it was an alternative Universe with some refrences.

Mt.Komorebi Disscussions and cultural controversy.

I do wish they'd stay away from Diversity™ pandering & promotion and instead try to implement systems in game that allow you to create/customize your own cultures or practices. And delve into sim personalities instead of just physical appearances or superficial stuff :/
    Yeah we really do need more tools like that. I would love customization system with religions too. I mean they have a system in seasons to expand holidays more. They just need to utilize existing tools in the game more. I would love a customized school and daycare system too. The Go to School mod expanded upon the Get to Work tools really well. It was sad the superficial and CAS stuff was the first thing the Sims listened to with diversity, but taking on the baby steps to get the bigger issues worked on too. I got bullied a lot on requesting the opacity slider for makeup but it really is a tool that needed implementing to have a base on applying to bigger ideas like a color wheel for CAS and build mode. Hopefully can use it on more gameplay things like future birds and reptiles too. I feel like even the superficial stuff is poorly designed especially the fx effects for animals which hinder the gameplay too. I rather have a well designed gameplay rather than fx effects. I rather not have adult female only clothing being the only feature of every single content release. I feel like CAS is the only focus for the Sims 4 and even lacks that with a lot of the tools the Sims 3 base game provides. Babies are a joke in design.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    edited March 2021

I think its sad, that this game is about the players and not so much about the sims themselfs, basically confirming that its also the community that keeps the game a float. I dont like how they made this game a tool for a safe space to express yourself. Everything is a trigger. Maybe thats why we dont have burglars. I dont like how they try to make this game a second life kind of thing you know? Or how they try to be Diverse(TM) or politicial. I liked it better when it was an alternative Universe with some refrences.

Mt.Komorebi Disscussions and cultural controversy.

I do wish they'd stay away from Diversity™ pandering & promotion and instead try to implement systems in game that allow you to create/customize your own cultures or practices. And delve into sim personalities instead of just physical appearances or superficial stuff :/

Exactly
    I was very curious when the rebranding started, but when they released this sort of freedom/therapy add that basically defines the Sims4 it was quiet telling. But i guess they also want to be trendy/woke and get down with the kids these days

This is why we have players demanding the exact eyebrow shape that they have in real life, the exact underlying skin tones, when i just sit here and use the maybe 20Skintones even though we have 100+. Its still a game where a sim looks like a Disney character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZhi2bSdXnQ&ab_channel=BuzzFeedMultiplayer

Can we not expect to have equal content for Live Mode/CAS and Build&Buy in every patch that they release. And not only prior to a pack release to make the pack look more full.

2020 and i can think of maybe 3 things that was added in LiveMode Gameplay. Beeing new
    - Firefighters (Before Eco Livestyle)
    - Sentiments (Before SE) adding more Sentiments only in that pack yet

@Mstybl95

[/quote]I'm pretty sure that when TS4 was in development, it was supposed to be a second life competitor. That's why the focus is on the player rather than the sim. You were supposed to only use these sims as avatars and not play a family or how we have played in the past.[/quote]

Yet it seems like they are trying the same approach again in the future or even now? Before you know it EA is going to sell narcissism rather then a game.

Post edited by PreCiious on
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2021
    When a game is still in development, there's time for improvement, the sims 4 is world's away from where it was at launch, there's also been talk of story progression possibly coming to the game (which I would personally love), the truth is nobody knows where this game will be going or when it will end apart from the developers, i don't believe the sims 4 will have every feature and detail as the previous games, at the end of the day its everyone's own personal opinion of what they think of the sims 4
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Nikkih wrote: »
    When a game is still in development, there's time for improvement, the sims 4 is world's away from where it was at launch, there's also been talk of story progression possibly coming to the game (which I would personally love), the truth is nobody knows where this game will be going or when it will end apart from the developers, i don't believe the sims 4 will have every feature and detail as the previous games, at the end of the day its everyone's own personal opinion of what they think of the sims 4

Sims 4 era will be ending soon. EA wouldn’t have made kits a thing if this game weren’t wrapping up in the next year or two. They want to squeeze every last drop of money out of people who buy Sims 4 content while they still have an audience this size.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Sims 4 era will be ending soon. EA wouldn’t have made kits a thing if this game weren’t wrapping up in the next year or two. They want to squeeze every last drop of money out of people who buy Sims 4 content while they still have an audience this size.

Yes I agree that I don't think the sims 4 has too long left but we don't know for certain when and who knows what they will add to the game in that time, perhaps this year and possibly the next will be really good years for patches and packs we don't know
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I am torn. I finally listened to this video today, and I agree with a lot of it, especially about the early phases of Sims 4. Some things Carl wants, like story progression, I wouldn't want. Nor do I care about cars. I do want more personality though.

I never bought the base game as I was satisfied with Sims 2 at the time. I wouldn't even have considered it without toddlers, but actually I waited until it was free. So maybe I would be bitter also if I paid for the game.

I have paid for dlc, but almost always at half price sales. So my expectations may be different from someone who paid full price.

The truth is, in spite of all that is missing in terms of Sims personalities and animation, I enjoy the game. I play almost daily. I do use some mods to help, but those don't completely fill the gaps for me. Still I am having fun. I would have a difficult time going back to Sims 2 and not have the ability to travel between worlds or have time pass when I leave the home lot.

I hope the Sims team is serious about fixing bugs. It's discouraging when a brand new kit is released and is so buggy, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I also hope we get some serious attention to personality. Sentiments and lifestyles were a good attempt, but don't always make sense.

• Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member

I am torn. I finally listened to this video today, and I agree with a lot of it, especially about the early phases of Sims 4. Some things Carl wants, like story progression, I wouldn't want. Nor do I care about cars. I do want more personality though.

I never bought the base game as I was satisfied with Sims 2 at the time. I wouldn't even have considered it without toddlers, but actually I waited until it was free. So maybe I would be bitter also if I paid for the game.

I have paid for dlc, but almost always at half price sales. So my expectations may be different from someone who paid full price.

The truth is, in spite of all that is missing in terms of Sims personalities and animation, I enjoy the game. I play almost daily. I do use some mods to help, but those don't completely fill the gaps for me. Still I am having fun. I would have a difficult time going back to Sims 2 and not have the ability to travel between worlds or have time pass when I leave the home lot.

I hope the Sims team is serious about fixing bugs. It's discouraging when a brand new kit is released and is so buggy, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

I also hope we get some serious attention to personality. Sentiments and lifestyles were a good attempt, but don't always make sense.

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Yes I agree that I don't think the sims 4 has too long left but we don't know for certain when and who knows what they will add to the game in that time, perhaps this year and possibly the next will be really good years for patches and packs we don't know

I wouldn’t imagine anything substantial. Their track record doesn’t exactly support an about-face on popular requests. Just this last September the fandom was freaking out about the studio not listening to or applying feedback. Have not seen anything that suggests change in that regard; kits are not exactly a good response to those complaints, and don’t get me started on the laundry lists because they reek of marketing. The end of Sims 4 era will be loaded with half baked dlc, overpriced kits, too many bad faith promises, and an increasingly long list of bugs that will be left as-is (just like Sims 3 and Sims 4 legacy edition)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited March 2021

I wouldn’t imagine anything substantial. Their track record doesn’t exactly support an about-face on popular requests. Just this last September the fandom was freaking out about the studio not listening to or applying feedback. Have not seen anything that suggests change in that regard; kits are not exactly a good response to those complaints, and don’t get me started on the laundry lists because they reek of marketing. The end of Sims 4 era will be loaded with half baked dlc, overpriced kits, too many bad faith promises, and an increasingly long list of bugs that will be left as-is (just like Sims 3 and Sims 4 legacy edition)

@drake_mccarty The sad thing is, just when one thinks that it will get better EA completely turns it around and ruins everything. 2020 was for me the worst year in the Sims franchise since the launch of the Sims 4 in 2014. And it's not just me, the game has rarely ever gotten as much backlash as this last year. From Spark'd to skintone issues to Eco Lifestyle bugs to Journey to Batuu and now Kits.

I can barely remember the last time the Sims took so many hits so quickly. And something tells me it won't be getting better.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    I like the Sims 4. I can do what I want and there's not really any obstacle to overcome. I found Sims 2 to be too challenging. I didn't like the aspiration meter, the wants and fears, and the need decay was too fast. I got bored playing Sims 3. I find it boring to watch and wait while my Sim walks from one side of town to the other. The game was also very laggy and didn't run well on my computer. Sims 4 is the first Sims game where I don't need cheats to keep on top of their needs. It's easy to get promotions or do well in school, build relationships, and skill up in whatever I want my Sim to be good at. Sims 4 really suits me and my way of playing.

To preface this, I’m glad you found a Sims game which meshes better with your style of play, and I wouldn’t want them to radically redesign TS4 to take that away from you.

But I don’t think the solution for everyone is to strip the game entirely of fun gameplay systems and make retained systems like Needs way too easy to manage. Not at all insinuating you are, but I’m personally not someone that lives vicariously through my Sims. Keeping the game in normal mode and watching them slowly ski, rowboat, or go to the spa does absolutely nothing for me. That’s all visual stuff. I need depth/meaning behind it, and I need to feel like the game is challenging me in some capacity, otherwise I leave. And I don’t even think it needs to be complex. Things to the extent of TS2’s dating or headmaster system were fine enough.

I’ve said it before, but I definitely think they should make a simplified sandbox mode for players like you and a life simulation mode for players like myself that want challenge, risk, and spontaneity.

The thing is they haven't stripped the game entirely of fun gameplay. What is fun gameplay is all a matter of preference and personal taste so it's not right to say there's no fun gameplay in Sims 4. For me, the need decay being slower allows for more time to do the actual fun stuff. I found having to focus entirely on my Sims needs and have no time for anything else to be rather boring. In Sims 4 I can have them snowboard nearly all day and it only takes a small amount of time for them to take care of their needs. I can play a family of 5 and have them all live a fullfulling life (including their social life). There's not many games out their that meet the needs of those of us who don't want challenge. Sims 4 is one of the few that does.

I do agree that difficulty options would benifit more people. The problem with different modes would be neither mode may suit exactly what we want, but if we could all alter the difficulty in the game options menu then we could set them to what we each individually prefer. Options to change the speed of the need decay, the difficulty of getting promotions, etc. It may be too late for this kind of system to come to Sims 4 so maybe people could advocate for it to be in Sims 5.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    RionAgriasRionAgrias Posts: 305 Member
    I see the Sims 4 DLC as just putting lipstick on a pig. It's the same animations and actions from other packs rebranded as new things. It's adding in things that were missing, but it's exactly the same thing as before (just breaking the original action in the process). I love weeding my easel as much as the next person since Seasons came out, personally.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2021

The thing is they haven't stripped the game entirely of fun gameplay. What is fun gameplay is all a matter of preference and personal taste so it's not right to say there's no fun gameplay in Sims 4. For me, the need decay being slower allows for more time to do the actual fun stuff. I found having to focus entirely on my Sims needs and have no time for anything else to be rather boring. In Sims 4 I can have them snowboard nearly all day and it only takes a small amount of time for them to take care of their needs. I can play a family of 5 and have them all live a fullfulling life (including their social life). There's not many games out their that meet the needs of those of us who don't want challenge. Sims 4 is one of the few that does.

I do agree that difficulty options would benifit more people. The problem with different modes would be neither mode may suit exactly what we want, but if we could all alter the difficulty in the game options menu then we could set them to what we each individually prefer. Options to change the speed of the need decay, the difficulty of getting promotions, etc. It may be too late for this kind of system to come to Sims 4 so maybe people could advocate for it to be in Sims 5.

I never said the game was devoid entirely of fun gameplay. I'm talking specifically about wants/fears, aspiration meter, and needs decay speed which were a burden to you, but fun gameplay to me. Adding mandatory systems like those keeps the game challenging, makes gameplay engaging, gives the player more to do, helps to direct gameplay, and helps pace the player in exploring new/existing content. I don't think it's particularly fair to remove the whole game aspect of this... game to promote just watching Sims perform animations without meaning like it's a dollhouse and nothing more.

TS2's gameplay systems were very realistic to me, too. We all have wants and fears influenced by our personality, desires and environment. We all get depressed when we don't achieve our desires/wants. And and most of us strive to achieve that one large goal which defines our life in the end. I think the awesome game design of The Sims 2 isn't recognized enough, personally. Every part of the game's design flowed so well with one another. Just thinking about this now, I can't believe these systems haven't returned, there is nothing replacing them (whims were even disabled) and The Sims 4 just relied entirely on recycling the same content we've gotten 3 times before but with bipolar Sim emotions to keep the game fun for 7 years.

But, yes, I'd love options with the next Sims game, not The Sims 4. I've long accepted TS4 for what it is. And honestly, it's very evident their prime goal with The Sims 4 right now are kits to milk every last dime out of The Sims 4's players as they transition/ramp up development for The Sims 5. The Sims 5 is the only reason I post feedback.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Yeah... hope thats what try to sell isnt it? I just think people set themselfs up for disappointment at this point. Yes that sounds very pessimstic xD. Its just, when have they ever go back and add more to an exsisting pack that they already released beyond bug fixes... Yet they can sit there and ask us in a survey what packs you want polished?! Just one out of many examples-

But i am asking myself, why even bother giving constructive critisism at this point, why writing ideas, suggestions and feedback. After 7years i just talk about the good points/ bad points when it comes to the sims4. whats done is done. Heck they can not even tell you what they are currently working on. A ... yes we do work on improving babies?! No cars is too tricky, we tried....
    BUt nooo we just sit in the dark, they work in their bubble. After 7years people do loss patience, maybe thats why a lot of them just get demanding and ranty and feel like they have to make an uproar to be listened.

This is why the sims as a lifeservice is bull*****. Sometimes it just feels like they witheld fan desires for the right moment and for the marketing.
    Bunk beds announcement... but at the same time also kits... ya know. All strategically planned
    Yeah live service is probably the worst I've seen in any company. Real live services actually bring quality of life patch updates and real communication happening. I never understood their whole reasoning of denying the Sims 4 was the Sims Olympus project until after the Sims 4 is finished development they want to reveal it. It is just weird how the Sims 4 has been handled. Even with being a play tester, how that is set up is very unorganized too. It is like I want to help with bug fixes but often feel like I can't. I just don't get it how they are even making it hard to do things for their volunteer workers.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

@drake_mccarty The sad thing is, just when one thinks that it will get better EA completely turns it around and ruins everything. 2020 was for me the worst year in the Sims franchise since the launch of the Sims 4 in 2014. And it's not just me, the game has rarely ever gotten as much backlash as this last year. From Spark'd to skintone issues to Eco Lifestyle bugs to Journey to Batuu and now Kits.

I can barely remember the last time the Sims took so many hits so quickly. And something tells me it won't be getting better.

Dont forget the 20th anniversary.

I think 2019 was pretty bad, when the whole rebrand happened and you could tell, that this will be a game that is all style over substance. Everything felt so rushed. More GameChangers spoke up about the decrease of quality in favor of quantity. I mean you look at the packs released in 2019 and you are like... Man these are some fan favourites... Some big ticket items. But they end up beeing mediocre... just what RionAgrias wrote. The same ❤️❤️❤️❤️ with a different coat, slaped the same gameplay Object and called it a day.

@Scobre

This is why i get so irritated when occult players blame other simmers, for nerfing down Vampires, when in reality its EA to blame, Maxis to blame. They shoe horned you, without giving you an option and lets not act like they simple cant give us options and settings, heck even dust the bust has a setting.
    Like they do listen to the community to some degree but dont only make changes for the community, there is a lot more going on on why exactly something happened. But sure lets attack each other when we should focus on the real ''enemie'' here.

Gosh the sims4 what a roller coaster.
    Nah I get it read your comment in the other thread too. Yeah the whole tuning and coding of the game is a mess. I thought it was very good and gave it an insightful. <3 Some of the Gurus who did tune it have since been let go from Maxis too, so there probably isn't a way to fix it anyways. I'm not just a fantasy player but a bit of a hybrid player and builder and recolored a few objects. I just don't like the game being too easy for the way I like to play with hybrid families that's all. I'm probably one of the rare species that actually likes raising toddlers both in the game and in real life.

I and others did get silenced during the Ask the Guru thread on forums when the first nerf happened with aliens by many Simmers being told to be quiet in very rude ways back in 2015 so they were partially responsible for what happened. They got rid of males getting pregnant from female aliens and nerfed alien abductions. Thankfully it has been fixed somewhat since because of the gender update. It was a rough time on forums. So yes I do fault those Simmers in that thread for trying to force a gameplay on a pack that they had purchased while those of us that had purchased the pack got punished for it in several ways. It wasn't nice how Get to Work was handled and it still remains one of the most bug ridden pack because apparently breaking the existing coding that initially runs well is more important than fixing the actual bugs of the game and creating more problems. Gets super frustrating for bug testing. Feedback does matter from anyone and there are consequences for it. Sometimes I do wonder if fans even care what happens to the Sims franchise not wanting to talk about the game itself and making it fun for others. Like they want the game to fail and not sell well. It is like the logic of people not wanting to wear masks to protect other people. Society is doomed for failure.
    Post edited by Scobre on
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    edited March 2021
    Considering Sims 5 is now in development and "well underway" apparently, we may just see the occasional pack now and then which, I'm actually fine with as long as they fix the bugs. I really don't think the game engine can handle any more expansions anyway. My game gets pretty laggy at times and I have a decent gaming computer. Thankfully they're using Unreal Engine for Sims 5. They should be able to do a lot more with it.
    Post edited by Lazzial on
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2021
    Lazzial wrote: »
    Considering Sims 5 is now in development and "well underway" apparently, we may just see the occasional pack now and then which, I'm actually fine with. I really don't think the game engine can handle any more expansions anyway. My game gets pretty laggy at times and I have a decent gaming computer. Thankfully they're using Unreal Engine for Sims 5. They should be able to do a lot more with it.

From what I’ve seen of the Sims 5 speculation so far it’s going to be way more of a disappointment to me than the Sims 4 ever could be. Multiplayer and competitive elements are a hard pass for me. None of these things interest me in the slightest. They are not something I have ever wanted to see in a Sims game and I will actually be quite sad to see the franchise go in this direction if it turns out to be true.

I’ve dismissed other players hopes for games like Paralives because I still had faith that the Sims franchise could improve in the future but what I’ve read of it’s future so far has made me rethink my dismissal of Paralives might have been a mistake.

• Options
    simmietimesimmietime Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2021
    I am a Sims veteran (been playing since 2002) and played all the games and owns all the packs. I think TS4 is the best in the series in so many aspects. Its got issues, but the older games have too. Ive recently been playing some Sims 2 (waiting for sims 4 expansions to release) but it feels so primitive compared to 4. Just so many aspects of it, 4 did much better. I really dont get why TS2 is so high on peoples pedestals, its so old and it shows.
    Just my opinion, but guess Im in the minority.

Do I think Im a castaway?
    Nope. Loving the game and buying all the packs. Yes I am what you could call “part of the problem”, but I love the game and can afford it, so why not.

Game going the right direction?
    Yes, I actually like the kits and all the DLC (even batuu!!). Sims 4 is doing fine. Its a great game.

So I have to disagree with Carl and LGR, im still loving the series and 4 is the best.
  • Options

I don't know there's been a lot of hints of a generations like pack, a most requested pack and maybe because the sims 4 hasn't got ages left they will probably get their heads down, I agree 2020 wasn't the best year, the idea of kit's are very mixed in the community its like marmite I think, there's people really liking this idea and there's people that really dislike it
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Considering Sims 5 is now in development and "well underway" apparently, we may just see the occasional pack now and then which, I'm actually fine with. I really don't think the game engine can handle any more expansions anyway. My game gets pretty laggy at times and I have a decent gaming computer. Thankfully they're using Unreal Engine for Sims 5. They should be able to do a lot more with it.

From what I’ve seen of the Sims 5 speculation so far it’s going to be way more of a disappointment to me than the Sims 4 ever could be. Multiplayer and competitive elements are a hard pass for me. None of these things interest me in the slightest. They are not something I have ever wanted to see in a Sims game and I will actually be quite sad to see the franchise go in this direction if it turns out to be true.

I’ve dismissed other players hopes for games like Paralives because I still had faith that the Sims franchise could improve in the future but what I’ve read of it’s future so far has made me rethink my dismissal of Paralives might have been a mistake.

They apparently don't know their player base well. Let's see, it's been a single player, life simulation game for over 20 years now, and they think making it multiplayer is a good idea? That seems like one extremely risky business decision if I've ever seen one. Yeah, I have zero interest in an online Sims game so, let's hope they are just rumors.
  • Options

They apparently don't know their player base well. Let's see, it's been a single player, life simulation game for over 20 years now, and they think making it multiplayer is a good idea? That seems like one extremely risky business decision if I've ever seen one. Yeah, I have zero interest in an online Sims game so, let's hope they are just rumors.
    Yeah very bad idea. It isn't even their first attempt at online either. You would think after 5 failed attempts they would learn their lesson but nope. MMO is not profitable especially for simulation genres unless it is mobile. Thus why Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile do so well. It is less costly to do a mobile game than PC multiplayer game and ends up a better return too. I tried the Sims Freeplay, the Sims Mobile, and the Sims Social and got bored of them after a week. Sims Freeplay does have the best babies and toddler I have to admit for the franchise. It is pretty funny found this mobile game through Youtube that is basically stealing Sims 4 assets.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip8oHtAL0oc&amp;t=333s
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Scobre wrote: »

Yeah very bad idea. It isn't even their first attempt at online either. You would think after 5 failed attempts they would learn their lesson but nope. MMO is not profitable especially for simulation genres unless it is mobile. Thus why Sims Freeplay and Sims Mobile do so well. It is less costly to do a mobile game than PC multiplayer game and ends up a better return too. I tried the Sims Freeplay, the Sims Mobile, and the Sims Social and got bored of them after a week. Sims Freeplay does have the best babies and toddler I have to admit for the franchise. It is pretty funny found this mobile game through Youtube that is basically stealing Sims 4 assets.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip8oHtAL0oc&amp;t=333s

Right? Multiplayer just isn't The Sims. You know who else thought making a game that was single player for over 20 years into a multiplayer game was a good idea? Bethesda. With Fallout 76. Well, Microsoft now owns Bethesda. So, yeah that went well apparently.

You mentioned they attempted an MMO 5 times. I didn't realize that. I think they just see "marketing potential" when it comes to MMO's these days and don't realize it's not always a good idea to stray off the path of a good thing. I think they call that blinded by greed. I personally think a single player sims game using the Unreal engine would do exceptionally well. An MMO, I have serious doubts about.

Post edited by Lazzial on
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    They don't know their player base well. Let's see, it's been a single player, life simulation game for over 20 years now, and they think making it multiplayer is a good idea? That seems like one extremely risky business decision if I've ever seen one. Yeah, I have zero interest in an online Sims game so, let's hope they are just rumors.

I don’t believe (and hope not) that a new Sims title will get rid of the Single Player system altogether. Bad move.
    I also disagree that EA doesn’t know their player base. In fact, they know exactly what a majority of the player base has been doing during the lifespan of the franchise. Three words: Download Custom Content.

The sims modding community is it’s own planet and I can imagine a possible online feature to draw in cc creators, offering in-game tools to create custom content and place it directly in game. EA Land all over again. But what’s the difference? Why would they do this again?

One of the main differences is that these days it is incredibly easy for anyone to access and learn similar software that studios in the creative industry use, for free! Open Source creative tools such as Blender or Gimp or Krita are not only there for us to download and use (for free!!!) but thanks to YouTube there’s a huge library of tutorials just to learn the software. It’s so darn “easy” to create something “good” and authentic to the game’s own aesthetics if you set your mind to it. We don’t need expensive software like Maya or the Adobe Suite to build beautiful BB & CAS assets. The tools and online courses are practically handed to us. (For free!!).

The community had no easy access to these kind of tutorials back in the Sims Online days or even just before TS4 was released. Plus the software wasn’t as user friendly as it is nowadays.
    I don’t know for a fact, but I feel confident enough to say that TS4 has generated a lot more content creators compared to the previous titles because of this easy access to resources. In fact, EA/Maxis will most likely use it to their own advantage and so they should if they had any sense from a business POV.

They know that for many players The Sims has only been half or less of what it can be without the modding community. So why not make gold out of them? Therefore I can also imagine this online part to be subscription based, perhaps a way for EA to finally make money out of popular modders, giving them a percentage in royalties based on downloads, but keeping a chunk for themselves for simply offering a relatively easy way to create and access cc.
    No more Patreon accounts. Subscriptions for direct access instead. A “Win Win” situation, perhaps? Online systems are more secure these days? Maybe this time it will work?

In ways we’ve already been introduced to this by EA/Maxis involving content creators to create official content for TS4, may it be for builds or actual CAS/ BB assets. It’s a first and it won’t be a last.

The new slogan says: “You Make The Sims”.
    Indeed, we may find out that “we” will actually be the ones creating most content for the “Sims 5”, which doesn’t necessarily need to be a bad thing if we’re offered amazing gameplay systems and AI to work with. But that’s another question. Will we get those amazing AI systems? Only time will tell.

As for the MMO aspect, personally I can do without all that nonsense, but I can also see a substantial percentage of the newer generation of players being interested in this. They grew up with MMOs and the story based quests the community has been doing since TS2 consoles, TS3 World Adventures, TS4 Strangerville, Jungle Adventure and JtB can be ways to bring part of that community online and engage in competitions and finish quests. The award? Simpoints. (I hear ya, not this again!!) What can you use those simpoints on? Buy “Kits” and CC. Build a nice house? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I dunno. I have a wild and scary imagination and so does everyone else. Who knows.