Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kit Packs: Yay or Nay?

Comments

• Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Depends on the content.
    Guess I'm irresponsible then. And there are a lot more important things that would keep me from sleeping at night than a kit pack for a video game.

Ditto, I’m just here putting cortisone on my itchy wallet until they tell me when I can purchase these. If I am responsible for the downfall of civilization then so be it. It’s not like I’m going to notice since I will be playing with my sims anyway.

Um, could you pass over the cortisone please? :D

I will always jump at the chance of getting stuff for the game at cheaper than stuff packs. If I don't want it, I won't buy it. I am a fully mature adult and I will do as I please as far as my simmies are concerned. <3
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Depends on the price.
    After having most of the day to not make a rash reaction. I will wait an see what the price of these new kit packs are. I will only consider them if they are under £5 and it really depends on what comes with them. It's frustrating as I suspect these new kit packs will have more content then the early stuff packs i.e. luxury party. It does seem a cash grab but all games these days seem a cash grab so I am not surprised.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Part of it is that I am old.
    There is at least one generation of players who has never lived in a world WITHOUT micro transactions in 90% of games and therefore can't imagine why it would be bad, it is just normal to them.

It is even more evident in other countries; Korea for example has done it much longer than the US or Europe; I once brought up the issue not knowing the other two people I talked to were from SK and they literally didn't understand what I was going in about; it's just normal business practice to them.

I DO think this is a test bed for Sims 5; I am 100% sure that the base game of Sims 5 will be much much more lacking than Sims 4, but you will be able to buy individual mechanics, not to mention virtually all CAS items, like in the Sims 3 store. Or in a lot of mobile games.
    Basically a YA Sim will only have one of each kind of clothing, maybe in two different colors and if you want your Sim to have a jacket you'll have to buy it for real money. If you don't want all your houses to only use one type of door and one type of window? Same thing.
    Do you want more than one single career? That's 5 dollars thank you. Btw the jacket is 2 dollars and the window and door together is 11 dollars because it comes in three color variants.

I am 100% certain this is how Sims 5 will be. Not exaggerating.

If Sims 5 is online, you're probably right that this will be how content will be delivered. I have a smidgen of hope that it may not be, but just tiny bit. Dragon Age 4 is going to be single player -- the multiplayer part was scrapped. So it's possible that EA will stick with their mobile games for online and have Sims 5 be single player.

The kits that were announced (or leaked) do not look interesting to me. My main concern is that the kits will end up being MFPS on steroids. I like extra content. I don't like content being stripped out of packs and released separately.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    Felicity wrote: »
    There is at least one generation of players who has never lived in a world WITHOUT micro transactions in 90% of games and therefore can't imagine why it would be bad, it is just normal to them.

It is even more evident in other countries; Korea for example has done it much longer than the US or Europe; I once brought up the issue not knowing the other two people I talked to were from SK and they literally didn't understand what I was going in about; it's just normal business practice to them.

I DO think this is a test bed for Sims 5; I am 100% sure that the base game of Sims 5 will be much much more lacking than Sims 4, but you will be able to buy individual mechanics, not to mention virtually all CAS items, like in the Sims 3 store. Or in a lot of mobile games.
    Basically a YA Sim will only have one of each kind of clothing, maybe in two different colors and if you want your Sim to have a jacket you'll have to buy it for real money. If you don't want all your houses to only use one type of door and one type of window? Same thing.
    Do you want more than one single career? That's 5 dollars thank you. Btw the jacket is 2 dollars and the window and door together is 11 dollars because it comes in three color variants.

If Sims 5 is online, you're probably right that this will be how content will be delivered. I have a smidgen of hope that it may not be, but just tiny bit. Dragon Age 4 is going to be single player -- the multiplayer part was scrapped. So it's possible that EA will stick with their mobile games for online and have Sims 5 be single player.

The kits that were announced (or leaked) do not look interesting to me. My main concern is that the kits will end up being MFPS on steroids. I like extra content. I don't like content being stripped out of packs and released separately.

Yeah I read about that too, Anthem was so unsuccessful that Dragon Age 4 will be single player so there is a small hope that EA might not be as interested in making the sims5 online because it could go the same way as Anthem. There was this article published recently from IGN as well.

So who knows, but it's still EA we are talking about and they still want to make huge profits, so kits will probably be a part of the sims 5 (if they will sell well) but maybe Maxis will have more control and can decide what the sims5 will be.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Nay!
    Or did I misinterpret this whole thing? Either way, I’m not surprised by the responses you got.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 If you read my post again you will see I tried to make it very clear that I was talking about me and me only. I said "In my opinion" and "to me" several times in order to avoid people feeling like I'm telling them to be the same way. So yeah I see no reason for this when I said "for me" several times.

So I don't see how voicing my opinion "minimized" any other opinions especially because I was not even replying to anyone. I said my own opinion.

I suppose I referred to your personal opinion of others who “irresponsibly” buy these packs and potentially kill the gaming industry. But that’s only me reading between the lines. No you did not direct this at anyone in particular.
    All I’m trying to say is don’t be surprised by the responses you got.

I agree that we have to remain conscious of some of the things we do, buy, support.

And then there are times when folks would love a vacuum cleaner in their game. One vacuum cleaner. I suppose they can express their excitement without feeling they’ve been sent on a consumerism guilt trip. It’s a virtual vacuum cleaner for crying out loud. It does less harm to the environment than my nail clippers. Which was also a fiver. And probably less fun.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Do I have to quote myself saying "IN MY OPINION it is irresponsible". That means that if I think it's irresponsible that doesn't mean anyone else should think the same or feel guilty. If you feel guilty then that's your fault not mine.

I'm allowed to express my opinion without being called out on it like every one of you is. This is my opinion and you don't have to agree period. If my opinion makes you feel guilty then that's not my fault, it's probably that you feel guilty anyway. I just said what I believe like everyone is allowed to. Please stop trying to make this something that it isn't cause it's not fair.

I get what youre saying no worries 😂 sometime when you express how you feel about something, when you have a strong opinion 20 people like to jump up to oppose it for some reason. Its your own opinion, youre entitled to it, and you're not pushing it on others, you're just saying how you feel about it. 👍
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    I didn't vote, because there were two options that are equal in consideration for me, and those are price and content. In terms of price, Sims packs in Australia can range from around $15 up to $50, so I would expect a kit pack to be a maximum of $5. In terms of content, I would want it to be something that I think is needed in the game, something I would use (eg better clothing & hair options for men, perhaps even a 'grooming kit'), and something I'm not likely to be able to find in any other expansion, game or stuff pack. If it didn't meet both the price point and content criteria, for me at least, I wouldn't be interested.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I would say it depends on the content & the price. I'll appreciate if it's adding more feature/gameplay than stuffs only. TBH, I haven't used every stuffs in BB/CAS but for the gameplay/feature, the more the better.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    Depends on the content.
    There have already been enough complaints about the existing packs being somewhat thin on content, and they introduce yet another tier? I look for this to be the way they add certain asked-for features, instead of patching them in like they've been doing.

I personally dislike the idea. But, if cars or horses end up being brought in using kits, guess that's the only way I'm gonna get them.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited February 2021
    Nay!
    They've nickel and dimed us enough.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    CangwenCangwen Posts: 220 Member
    Depends on the content.
    It definitely depends on content and price for me.

I can kind of see where Maxis is coming from. It allows them to use ideas they have on the shelf that doesn't fit in a normal pack. Are they microtransactions? I don't think so. Have you seen the mobile games market? A lot of them are free-to-pay. Yes, you read that correctly.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    Nay!
    No. It'll be overpriced and shallow just like the rest of Sims 4. It's just another excuse to cut content from other packs and sell it seperately for more money. I mean, this game is over $700 deep in content and it's still shallow and boring. How much are they going to be able to add to this thing?
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Nay!
    It's another way to get more money for lesser content.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

I'm not *that* old, but I'm old enough to remember buying games that were just what they were on the tin. No DLC, no MTX, nothing. If it shipped with a bug, that bug was staying in there.

Starting to think it's part of a horrid cycle relating to economic stuff I probably can't talk about on here and the period of no BS was as predictably fleeting as netflix's period of being good and not having a billion individual streaming services to cut up all the good shows into. Like before games hit digital, there were arcades and those were basically MTX, but physically.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Nay!
    Gaas is trash.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the price.
    5 bucks each when releasing three things at a time is way too expensive for me. Kits sound like packs. Just called kits.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Depends on the state of the game.
    I was really hoping for Other, since I can't really give an opinion on what little we have been told about this idea.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    Depends on the content.
    Depends on the content. It would have to be good.

Not against it, but I'm not gonna jump over every kit that shows up.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    mordarlarmordarlar Posts: 38 Member
    edited February 2021
    Very much yes. I have been watching for real chatter about a farming pack for a long time. Always, there is a debate about meat animals. This would allow for a Farming pack with the meat animals as an add in option. They can add things that didn't come up at the time a pack was sold but in hindsite would add to play. I'm actually pretty excited to see what they do with this.
  • Options
    iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    Nay!
    Ugh.... noooooo. Plz no. I’ve already spent so much money on this game completing my collection. Now I have to catch up on PC.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,874 Member
    Yay!
    Wonder if we'll get a new forum section for kits. 🤔
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Depends on the price.
    I just don't trust EA with Microtransactions.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    edited February 2021
    Depends on the content.
    Given the three that have been announced, I wonder if they're going to come in different types. We seem to have one that's advertising BB items, one that looks like mostly CAS, and one with mostly gameplay items with a new system (dust accumulation and bunnies) and new aspirations. I'd be much more likely to buy the latter type if that's the case. I might drop a dollar or two on some really great CAS or BB items here and there that really suit my style, but not more than that and not often.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Depends on the content.
    For me it's actually a tie between content and price. The gameplay ones seem to have potential. CAS and Build/Buy are a bit questionable. I do admit the kitchen one is pretty.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    Nay!
    Just no - Enough already!

If they're free content they do because they're small kits they can surprise us with, then fine. But if this is some $5 micro-transaction I'm done with the game. I really am.

Here's what first enters my mind when I think The Sims - "It cost me so much". It's not "I had fun in that game", because I had fun with the game. It's literally that it cost me so much. That's not what one should feel when thinking about a product.

The first thought should be about how much it brought you, not how much it cost you. For me that ratio is all backwards and I've reached my end. When you're getting so much fun out of something you don't even think about what it cost you, then you got something going.

The Sims 4 now is about how much it cost me, and not how much it gave me and I sincerely hope they can change that.
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    I don't know. All I know is how hard it is too have and install all the Store stuff I need when I have to redo/move/fix the TS3 game. I figure it will become the same now with TS4, if I ever can play it again. :(

But, I don't really care. I do feel it's like they're removing what players want from packs to sell them in smaller packs - like they did in TS3/Store. :(