Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Farming Features Do You Want Most?

Comments

• Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2021
    Animal livestock (meat from cows, chicken, pigs, sheep)
    Raising livestock won the Twitter poll, so I would expect that much at least.
  • Options
    AncaryvanAncaryvan Posts: 736 Member
    edited February 2021
    Other (please specify)
    @IceyJ wrote: »
    Raising livestock won the Twitter poll, so I would expect that much at least.
    Looks like chicken coop is back to ACTION!

... A Few Moments Later... Sorry it's FALSE News
    Post edited by Ancaryvan on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65VG4IacGsg
    I literally play this music above when playing Sims 4! Cozy and Fuzzy
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I put "Other". I just want gardening to work properly again without requiring mods to fix it.
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited February 2021
    Other (please specify)
    All of the above except for the meat one.

Although I understand your comment, but meat is one of farming main purpose, I also understand perhaps vegetarians and vegans would get upset about this if it got added to the game but it's not wrong to eat meat and it shouldn't be treated like it is, it's an individual personal choice, I was annoyed there was even controversy with the meat wall in eco lifestyle 🙄, practically every type of animal in the world eat meat, but a meat wall in a game is controversial?

I pick all from above
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • Options
    VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I've no interest at all in a farming pack (or game) of any kind. I've lived and worked on a real-life farm before. It's not what I would call fun.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    Farm aesthetics (windmill, hay stacks, pitchforks, clothes)
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I've no interest at all in a farming pack (or game) of any kind. I've lived and worked on a real-life farm before. It's not what I would call fun.

Yup. My dad grew up on a farm, and when I was a kid we raised a handful of pigs and steers for meat. My only experience at a dairy farm was the day I discovered I'm intensely allergic to dairy!! But I still like 4H displays at county fairs.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2021

Yup. My dad grew up on a farm, and when I was a kid we raised a handful of pigs and steers for meat. My only experience at a dairy farm was the day I discovered I'm intensely allergic to dairy!! But I still like 4H displays at county fairs.

Farming is hard work, honest work, and also extremely high tech. Modern farms are more high tech than a modern office, rivaling a modern manufacturing plant with computerized machinery etc. In Sims terms a real, "realistic" farming pack would be closer to the Science career than anything else.

I always get a feeling that people wanting a "farming pack" have a very very different idea of farming, probably based on things like Animal Crossing (even Disney movies are far more realistic about farming than some people's ideas of farming) just birds singing, apple-plucking, maybe maybe some egg-harvesting. No bad harvests, no emergency visits by the vet-truck to try to save the life of a calf (or mercy kill wounded animals), no slaughter, and no workplace accidents. Oh and definitely no killing off a whole barn of cows because of foot and mouth disease outbreak.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Other (please specify)
    And can I also say this, without these "controversial" meat eaters as we apparently are 🤣, everything would overpopulate causing another problem to not being able to fed every animal, although I respect vegetarian/vegan views, I definitely agree with you guys about the fur trade, animals shouldn't die for their fur ( it looks better on the animal), for food theres a purpose to it whether you like it or not, it's your personal choice, if you choose to not eat meat, you cant expect us all not too, I had someone that was vegetarian giving me grieve for eating meat, i was respectful until I couldn't be and i told them 'just because you want to eat like a rabbit doesn't mean i have to' it came shooting out my mouth, I'm respectful to those that are respectful to me
    Post edited by Nikkih on
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Other (please specify)
    None none none
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member
    edited February 2021
    Dairy production or egg harvesting
    Ceridwen wrote: »

*jelly to Americans

Nope, we have jam, too. Jelly is a different product.

That being said, I agree with absolutely everything else you said, up to and including the awesomeness of oat milk. :)
  • Options
    KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 442 Member
    Farm aesthetics (windmill, hay stacks, pitchforks, clothes)
    I always get a feeling that people wanting a "farming pack" have a very very different idea of farming, probably based on things like Animal Crossing (even Disney movies are far more realistic about farming than some people's ideas of farming) just birds singing, apple-plucking, maybe maybe some egg-harvesting. No bad harvests, no emergency visits by the vet-truck to try to save the life of a calf (or mercy kill wounded animals), no slaughter, and no workplace accidents. Oh and definitely no killing off a whole barn of cows because of foot and mouth disease outbreak.

So back to my intensely traumatic trip to a dairy farm...I remember seeing the cows had holes in their abdomens, like just sawed open. You could reach your hand right in.

I never watched any videos on factory farming. That was enough for me. I never asked why, I was only 10 years old, but with all the hookups, they were more like machines than living animals.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I want to see cat farming. Just one crazy old lady with 25 cats, surrounded by rustic wooden fences
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Other (please specify)
    All because without them you wouldn't have a farm.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I want animal husbandry, not pets. Cows, chickens and either sheep, goats or llamas.. I'd really love llamas because it's the sims. I'd like meat but I think it's unlikely unless it's done in a way that isn't very offensive so I dunno there... I'll be okay if we don't get meat. I want wool, milk and eggs to process or use in crafting.
    I don't need all the crops listed but some of the listed additions would be nice, better looking fields and ways to manage them sounds great too. Build/buy - of course.
    I'm hoping they don't try to squeeze horses in. Just to have farm animals the way the budgets seem to go with animations I'm really hoping they save them for a pack that's more about horses and things you can do with them.
    A farmers market sounds fun too... will be nice to get it, or something like it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Nikkih wrote: »

Although I understand your comment, but meat is one of farming main purpose, I also understand perhaps vegetarians and vegans would get upset about this if it got added to the game but it's not wrong to eat meat and it shouldn't be treated like it is, it's an individual personal choice, I was annoyed there was even controversy with the meat wall in eco lifestyle 🙄, practically every type of animal in the world eat meat, but a meat wall in a game is controversial?

I pick all from above

No, I get that it's a main purpose. I'm not vegan or vegetarian. I love a good steak or burger and, I feel no shame in eating meat. I'm just saying for the purposes of gameplay, I'd personally prefer to skip that part.

That's just my personal opinion. I'm one of those people that don't want to see how the sausage is made but I'll still eat it.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    Other (please specify)
    I want it all.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Other (please specify)

I pick all from above

No, I get that it's a main purpose. I'm not vegan or vegetarian. I love a good steak or burger and, I feel no shame in eating meat. I'm just saying for the purposes of gameplay, I'd personally prefer to skip that part.

That's just my personal opinion. I'm one of those people that don't want to see how the sausage is made but I'll still eat it.

Its definitely not pretty and I understand why you personally dont want it in the game, to this day I still dont want to know what's in haggis 🤣, I would say if it was to be added to the game it would need to be a rabbit hole to place on their farm so people could decide if meat produce is how their sims going to make money on their farm or not, after that meat wall controversy I felt I had to back us meat eaters up by reminding people that eating meat isnt wrong 🤣 and its personal choice if someone eats meat or not, I do think this has to be optional so it doesn't cause upset to vegetarians/vegans if this part of farming is added or for someone that does eat meat but doesn't want it in the game @SweetieWright_84
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Other (please specify)
    Regarding meat: It's already in the game -- fish have been suffering the indignity for a while now.

Personally, I wish that they'd implement a semi-realistic version of animal meat processing, milking, and egg harvesting. The horrors of it might be a useful educational experience for some people.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »
    Regarding meat: It's already in the game -- fish have been suffering the indignity for a while now.

Personally, I wish that they'd implement a semi-realistic version of animal meat processing, milking, and egg harvesting. The horrors of it might be a useful educational experience for some people.

Just like in a lot of animated movies: "Eating meat is wrong. Here, have some Sushi!"
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Animal pets (horses, goats, llamas, donkeys)
    I think a lot of anti meat people are actually pescatarian because it's not the principle of eating meat itself (for some, that is indeed the case) but the torture of the animals that comes with the industry and they don't want to support it. Some people only eat free range meats.

Also, if we're going to be real about it, humans eat way more meat than they are supposed to, at least in the US. We're not supposed to be eating huge slabs every day, all year, certainly not multiple times a day. I used to see a nutritionist who was also a food scientist for over 20 years in the industry and she told me that the push for meat in "The Big 4" (food groups) was just to promote meat farmers who were struggling in the industry at that time and they needed people to buy more meat. It was just another marketing ploy from a corporation. She had some really eye opening information about the food industry.

I think I prefer a more idealistic or fantasy farming concept. Steampunk farming with giant, belching faux meat and cheese machines where you throw the ingredients in to get various results, and animals peacefully corralled outdoors for eggs, wool, milk, and social company, who also function as a family petting zoo. Call me a sissy but modern food farming is ugly.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Other (please specify)
    @Nikkih wrote: »

I pick all from above

Its definitely not pretty and I understand why you personally dont want it in the game, to this day I still dont want to know what's in haggis 🤣, I would say if it was to be added to the game it would need to be a rabbit hole to place on their farm so people could decide if meat produce is how their sims going to make money on their farm or not, after that meat wall controversy I felt I had to back us meat eaters up by reminding people that eating meat isnt wrong 🤣 and its personal choice if someone eats meat or not, I do think this has to be optional so it doesn't cause upset to vegetarians/vegans if this part of farming is added or for someone that does eat meat but doesn't want it in the game @SweetieWright_84

A rabbit hole wouldn't be so bad. That would probably be the only way most would be happy.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,905 Member

Knowing that those things exist in real life and wanting them in a Sims pack are two very, very different things.

Although I suppose there's a market for everything, based on some of the other mods that exist out there. But yes, sure, I think most of us would prefer our Sims packs without maiming and graphic slaughter. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I mean, you could argue that the entire Sims universe is a romanticized version of, well, everything.
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    Animal pets (horses, goats, llamas, donkeys)
    I want cows and chickens, not to eat but to milk and get eggs from.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Other (please specify)

Farming is hard work, honest work, and also extremely high tech. Modern farms are more high tech than a modern office, rivaling a modern manufacturing plant with computerized machinery etc. In Sims terms a real, "realistic" farming pack would be closer to the Science career than anything else.

I have to say yes I want a better version of farming for a fantasy game. That doesn't mean I don't know the reality of what happens in life or on a farm... and I'm pretty sure many if not most others do too.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I have to say yes I want a better version of farming for a fantasy game. That doesn't mean I don't know the reality of what happens in life or on a farm... and I'm pretty sure many if not most others do too.

They don't have to do industrial farming in the sims. The game is not even suited to that unless you are fine with lots of rabbit holes. I would like subsistence farming, with one or two big animals you can easily take care of within a household and a flock of chickens or geese.