The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why not breastfeed toddlers?

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,161 Member
    Cheekyimp wrote: »
    very interesting @GalacticGal

Considering Galaticgirl called BF a toddler weird, please don't take any of that to be gospel, BF is more that just about food, and despite saying its not needed, breast milk suddenly doesn't become unnutritional as soon as a child is a toddler. Babies don't develop a fetish, they are babies, they don't understand things like adult hang ups and believe me, no mother BF their toddler beyond one for their own good

For actual factual information, this is a charity page with more facts than "its weird" https://www.laleche.org.uk/breastfeeding-beyond-a-year/

Thank you.
  • Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member
    I agree with @Cheekyimp, and no know why others dont.
    I mean, why at market there are "special milk" for 1-2-3-4 years old?
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,847 Member

Considering Galaticgirl called BF a toddler weird, please don't take any of that to be gospel, BF is more that just about food, and despite saying its not needed, breast milk suddenly doesn't become unnutritional as soon as a child is a toddler. Babies don't develop a fetish, they are babies, they don't understand things like adult hang ups and believe me, no mother BF their toddler beyond one for their own good

For actual factual information, this is a charity page with more facts than "its weird" https://www.laleche.org.uk/breastfeeding-beyond-a-year/

I never once said it wasn't nutritional, it's not needed, is all. Breastfeeding is also a very good way to cuddle and bond with the child. It is highly recommended that if you bottle feed, in fact, you should HOLD the child while you feed them and not merely prop the bottle up. As for continuing to bond with a Toddler, cuddling is a great substitute. I'm an experienced mom, for what that's worth. And the tag is GalacticGal. I haven't been a girl in decades! As for babies becoming attached (the word I should have used) I'll bet you've never had to break a baby from using a bottle, have you.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    No thanks.

I think it's pretty bizarre to see mothers breastfeed five year olds.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,579 Member
    Yet another controversial thread. I can see this descending into the realms where it will need to be locked.

As for my opinion, I'd rather see EA use their time on other animations.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Hmm no...
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    Yet another controversial thread. I can see this descending into the realms where it will need to be locked.

As for my opinion, I'd rather see EA use their time on other animations.

I agree. I think there are many things on the community's wishlist that should take priority.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »
    EA and Maxis agree capitalism or consumism?
    I say, breastfeed tpddlers make them healthier and less prone to sick
    Also, why there are special milk for 1-4 years?
    to replace mother milk as society say they stop to breastfeed toddlers at 6 motnths

There was a mod for that. Not sure if it still is working. As for the real world question, some people just don't follow the science as to breastfeeding being great until around age 2.p
  • Options
    foxybillyfoxybilly Posts: 236 Member
    edited February 2021

I never once said it wasn't nutritional, it's not needed, is all. Breastfeeding is also a very good way to cuddle and bond with the child. It is highly recommended that if you bottle feed, in fact, you should HOLD the child while you feed them and not merely prop the bottle up. As for continuing to bond with a Toddler, cuddling is a great substitute. I'm an experienced mom, for what that's worth. And the tag is GalacticGal. I haven't been a girl in decades! As for babies becoming attached (the word I should have used) I'll bet you've never had to break a baby from using a bottle, have you.

As a mother of many years standing (my youngest is 21 next month!) I have to agree with GalacticGal, but I do know there is a lot of women who BF toddlers and good on them. And thats the point - its personal choice and I wouldn't want it in my game, the BF of babies is cute in the sims, but I woudlnt be keen on toddlers doing it

Personally I didnt like BF'ing (continual mastitis ouch!) but I did it as it was good for my babies and good for me - bonding and cuddles :)
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    In my brain, sim toddlers are like a couple of years old. In real life, I breastfed my children for about the first year. Then converted to a cup and cow's milk. I guess I always thought they were too old. I always have my sims breastfeed their babies though. I absolutely loved it. And my kids seemed to benefit greatly from it so I don't disagree with your statement at all.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,430 Member
    If they did it, and I am not saying they should, it would be a big ol' censor blob that covers mom and baby. That is the only way it gets in a T for teen game. If you took off the censor, it would be zero animation. Why make animation when it won't be shown? So all they would be doing is adding a menu choice and a censor blob. I personally have no need for that in my game.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    rl Brest feeding is so good for babies but as for the toddlers in game they teeth that would hurt a lot
    I hurt just thinking about it
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    i have nothing against breast feeding, but im pretty sure when my nephew was a toddler he was already weaned off breastmilk by that time.
    giphy.gif

• Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    Monet11 wrote: »
    If they did it, and I am not saying they should, it would be a big ol' censor blob that covers mom and baby. That is the only way it gets in a T for teen game. If you took off the censor, it would be zero animation. Why make animation when it won't be shown? So all they would be doing is adding a menu choice and a censor blob. I personally have no need for that in my game.
    I am neutral about the whole thing, but this is probably true. Better they spend time on other animations - I wish!

That said, it would have been a handy way to quickly feed a toddler. Now, I'll just put the plate on a counter and let the kid decide when he's hungry. Works better than to struggle with that darn chair.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,503 Member
    Monet11 wrote: »
    I am neutral about the whole thing, but this is probably true. Better they spend time on other animations - I wish!

That said, it would have been a handy way to quickly feed a toddler. Now, I'll just put the plate on a counter and let the kid decide when he's hungry. Works better than to struggle with that darn chair.

Isn't it handier to just leave food out for the toddler to grab whenever he's hungry? He can feed himself even when an adult is not present.
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Isn't it handier to just leave food out for the toddler to grab whenever he's hungry? He can feed himself even when an adult is not present.
    Indeed, that's exactly what I do. It just takes him forever to cross the house after hunting said parent who left for work. Sometimes, it's a race against time for him to reach a plate before the food gets spoiled.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Now, I'm 13 and don't have any experience in medicine or biology, so dont take my account into heart. Breastfeeding a toddler is not healthy, as children by the ages of 3-5 are old enough to eat particular solid foods, and breast milk is not a solid food.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    edited February 2021
    It has always been a bit amusing to me that so many people find breastfeeding icky or unhealthy beyond a certain age... all while not thinking twice about switching their kids to sipping on milk of another species and drinking it all through their lives. :D

That said, I don't see much point in a toddler animation in game. It is a bit of a niche issue and the time would be better spent (imho) on other animations and additions.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    FurAndYarn wrote: »
    It has always been a bit amusing to me that so many people find breastfeeding icky or unhealthy beyond a certain age... all while not thinking twice about switching their kids to sipping on milk of another species and drinking it all through their lives. :D

That said, I don't see much point in a toddler animation in game. It is a bit of a niche issue and the time would be better spent (imho) on other animations and additions.

You don't see anyone carrying a cow around just for the purpose of drinking some milk whenever they happen to be a bit thirsty. Cow needs her time on the pasture, man doesn't need to carry cow around. Bottled milk is a win-win for everyone. :lol:
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,916 Member
    @GalacticGal The theory is that breastmilk protects babies in the early months of their lives but what do you do when your baby is born with teeth. Some are! Looks like the designers of Sims 4 bottled out or in, if you know what I mean.
  • Options
    GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Options
    simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited February 2021
    My sims don't even breast feed babies.
    Just to clarify....I don't have anything against breastfeeding in game or real life, to me it just takes longer than bottle feeding.
    Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,501 Member
    Do I want breastfeeding toddlers in my game?

Uhm....🤔

I try not to argue against anything baby / toddler related in the sims since I don’t really feel it’s my place.
    It’s a game though. It doesn’t have to be hyper realistic.

Also note that in contrast to the baby object, toddlers can be brought everywhere. That raises the question regarding public breastfeeding. If a feature like this was to be implemented it would be possible for sims to BF in public. How will other sims react to that? Or will they?
    I do know that in RL not everybody feels comfortable with public breast feeding. I don’t personally, because I feel it’s a private occasion I shouldn’t be part of. It makes me feel a little uneasy. That doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with it. It’s only natural. I wasn’t exactly raised by hippies either though. How does it work in the sims? Do developers even want to go there?

And do we really need a detail like that it in the game? Aren’t toddlers happy and healthy enough? Perhaps give them more gameplay with each other instead? They could all do with more fun things to do. Teach them how to swim? Hand clapping games? Rolling down the hill? I’d much prefer seeing non-mosaic censored animations instead.
    Can I have cars please?

I’ll just move back into the shadows now. Goodbye. 😇
  • Options
    And do we really need a detail like that it in the game? Aren’t toddlers happy and healthy enough? Perhaps give them more gameplay with each other instead? They could all do with more fun things to do. Teach them how to swim? Hand clapping games? Rolling down the hill? I’d much prefer seeing non-mosaic censored animations instead.
    😇

That would be great, to be able to teach them how to swim or at least float in a big swimming pool.
  • Options
    MelanieScribblesMelanieScribbles Posts: 161 Member
    This is an outright flame war and a half just waiting to happen. I'm not a mother or in any way equipped to discuss real-life breastfeeding, so I'm just going to push the politicized matter about this aside for a minute and talk pure gameplay here.

I think breastfeeding a toddler would end up being a glitchy mess that would take too long, and that's why I would probably not want to see it happen. My Sims already do this little 'pick up put down' dance when it comes to putting a toddler in a high chair, and the parent's action queues tend to legit fight over who gets to put that darned toddles in that infernal high chair in the first place. Or worse I FINALLY get a Sim to put the toddler in that high chair after distracting the offending spouse and filling that other Sim's ENTIRE action queue up by hand... And then the other parent walks into the room and puts the toddler back on the ground before the first Sim can even put down food on it. I frankly don't even want to picture that AI on breastfeeding. Also, I don't want even want to know what that AI is going to do to a couple with 2 female Sims who just adopted a toddler. I'm already lowkey scared to have my lesbian Sims adopt a baby when it comes to that, so if they want to have kids? I tend to just go to 'play with genetics' in CAS and give them a toddler looking like both of them. Sixam technology or something, I dunno. PLEASE don't make me have to age those poor kids up to children by default!

Not to mention how confusing it's going to be with the current gender options in CAS. If I have a male Sim with a feminine frame where I edited their body type to look as manly as possible, can he breastfeed? Are the devs even willing to go there as well? I think it would require an extra gender option in CAS for sure, which might bring some bugs with it that are going to need squashing in a patch. Also, what @CAPTAIN_NXR7 's comment said about other Sims' reactions to public breastfeeding. And in that same vein, yet again: the hot mess that is the AI. I think that Maxis isn't willing to take on THIS many politicized subjects at once.

Also, I agree with @CAPTAIN_NXR7 here: can we get more parent-toddler interactions indeed? Teaching them how to swim sounds adorable, as do the hand clapping games. They could both even help build the Movement skill! I need that d'aww factor in my gameplay for sure. I'm so sick of the only few interactions between my Sim toddler and their parents is either flash cards, nesting blocks, or showing off a toy. Not sure about rolling down the hill, but maybe some specific interactions with certain items from the Seasons pack? Like, something with the sprinklers in summer, and teaching the toddler how to build snowmen in winter. Also, a specific interaction for the parent to introduce the toddler to their grandparents: the toddler seeing those as 'strangers' and getting scared of them makes zero sense to me. It's just your grandmother, Victor! :s I honestly wish that toddlers had more functionality in family gameplay. With how they are now, I just end up impatiently trying to rush with maxing their skills before aging them up, because I get bored with that life stage so fast.