Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Nerf Burglars Before They Are Nerfed?

LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
First of all, Burglars don't currently exist.

I know a lot of people want them though. And to be honest, I think they'd be interesting too. We have a Kleptomaniac trait and various criminal and bad guy careers. But you know what I know, in all my psychic psychicness? That if we get Burglars, people will start complaining that they are robbed too often just like they complain that they get too much of everything they wanted.

So basically, be careful what you wish for. Will we have Insurance?
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

Comments

• Options
    Emusimmer32Emusimmer32 Posts: 257 Member
    I miss them
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    Can we have the option of the burglar sometimes being an actual Sim with that profession, or should it just be a NPC? And would Sims and Occult Sims (vampires and spellcasters) be allowed to deal with the thief? The police shows up, and the burglar lies drained on the porch (no idea what happend, officer...) or is an object. The freeze gun? Or should the thief be this unstoppable force (even for your high-ranked police Sim) that only NPC police can arrest?

I'm torn about the idea. We'd need ways to protect ourselves. Locked doors, alarms, sign up for neighbourhood watch (pay $ and lessen the chance of having them appear), or dogs would serve as a deterrent (assuming you have one, which almost noone of my Sims does).

I didn't mind them in Sims 1, but darn, that burglar who ignored my alarm, stole my newly bought televison for 3k, and then hightailed it while the police apparently were on a donut break. That stung.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    If the sims have a dog I think it would be great it it could bark to alert the owner about an intruder and maybe it could even chase off the burglar.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    The Sharing is Caring NAP hullabaloo makes me think people maybe don’t want burglars as much as they said they did. I almost wonder if it was a bit of a trial balloon for them to see if the random swiping would generate a ton of complaints...and it did.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    The Sharing is Caring NAP hullabaloo makes me think people maybe don’t want burglars as much as they said they did. I almost wonder if it was a bit of a trial balloon for them to see if the random swiping would generate a ton of complaints...and it did.

The burglar in previous games swiped one or two things and then went away not to return until much later. And they only appeared on home lots. With Sharing is Caring NAP it's more like anarchy, everybody steals everything all the time. We also have the normal kleptomaniacs who also steal. I guess people just liked the burglar in the striped outfit and the police men and car that arrived to arrest him.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Sharing is caring is a tad extreme because it breaks the community lot by swiping the essential objects.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I mean, they've nerfed my vampires, spellcasters and aliens, so maybe it's time to nerf some of the realism stuff I don't want in the game. I think that sounds fair after my stuff is constantly nerfed. :)
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    izecson wrote: »

Sharing is caring is a tad extreme because it breaks the community lot by swiping the essential objects.

Exactly this. Before I turned off NAPs, my Sim went to a bar and an in-game hour later the lot was broken because all of the bar stools and chairs had been swiped. I think if they had just disabled the swiping from community lots, that would have gone a long way to make this NAP more appealing.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    TBH, I don't mind to have burglars or any other NPC or even "disasters" as long as we can toggle it either on/off or control the level of each occurrence. They could introduce the level from easy to hardcore. With this option, we can at least accommodate most of the Simmers preference.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited February 2021
    thats what the burglar alarms are for

I don't really like kleptos because you cant tell what they take and where and no way to catch them and indeed id like community lots to not be included in the mess

but burglars like older games where you get them more like very rare happening and you can catch them and mostly if you place your alarms wisely they get to take absolutely nothing

I would find it fun once in a while
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm not sure what burglars will add to the game, unless they let us play as burglars. But they better balance them so they make sense, add alarms and police that can stop them and throw them or you into jail, what's the fun of stealing anything if there are no consequences and no one cares? Sharing is caring made no sense and no one in the world cared and it broke your game.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I always kicked myself in older games because I would inevitably forget to add the darn security alarm on my lot until it was too late and you couldn't pause the game and add one while being robbed. But, I still wish they were back in the game.

But, without police coming to arrest them or your sim stopping them and fighting them until the police arrived, it's pretty pointless in TS4.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

The burglar in previous games swiped one or two things and then went away not to return until much later. And they only appeared on home lots. With Sharing is Caring NAP it's more like anarchy, everybody steals everything all the time. We also have the normal kleptomaniacs who also steal. I guess people just liked the burglar in the striped outfit and the police men and car that arrived to arrest him.
    Its exactly this for me it was a experience even if we get burglars now I really don't want them cops wont be able to arrest them and put them in the back of the car really what's the point. There was also unique game play like setting the burglar free befriending them when the police officer checked the house or fighting them if your Sim had the brave trait nothing like the horrible "sharing is caring" mess.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Here's what Sims 4 needs:
    Burglar Alarm
    Burglar Trait for a sim to become a Burglar
    Sims could fight the Burglar
    Toggle to turn On/Off Burglars
    Update Detective Career to catch Burglars
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

I don't think it's necessarily the same, burglars come on rare occassions and take one or two things from homes adding a little bit of chaos, sharing is caring causes absolute carnage. When it came out my sim was running a restaurant and people were literally taking all the tables
  • Options
    LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member
    If memory serves, Maxis is aware folks want burglars and have been for quite a long time, but stated (somewhere, can't recall where exactly) that they're hesitant to do so because burglars gave some people anxiety in previous iterations. Especially the music.
  • Options
    Ooo, the creepy Burglar music, that brings back memories. :D:o:'(B)
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    LJK wrote: »
    If memory serves, Maxis is aware folks want burglars and have been for quite a long time, but stated (somewhere, can't recall where exactly) that they're hesitant to do so because burglars gave some people anxiety in previous iterations. Especially the music.

I have a hard time trying to accept this... other games have murder, blood, shooting and whatever and people are ok with it (this is just an example, not that i need this stuff specifically)...
    But whoever makes decisions in sims 4 thinks that they're selling the game either to little children (this restrictions don't apply for teens) or to people with mental problems only... what about all the other people that plays the game?
  • Options
    I believe it's just a hogwash too. I have some anxiety issues & the burglars in Sims 3 never bothered me, in fact they made me laugh the way they would sneak up & steal a toilet. Lol :D
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's simply not true Maxis hasn't added burglars because it might trigger someone. Grant stated they had not added them because they hadn't gotten around to it. I take them at their word.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Burglar Alarm

I disagree about turning off burglars. It's not like they come around all the time in TS2. I'm not sure about TS3. It was set to be 21 days after a Sim had been living on a lot/life span. (21 days before aging up on a lot) That's hardly something players couldn't figure out and get an alarm before then.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Burglar Alarm

I disagree about turning off burglars. It's not like they come around all the time in TS2. I'm not sure about TS3. It was set to be 21 days after a Sim had been living on a lot/life span. (21 days before aging up on a lot) That's hardly something players couldn't figure out and get an alarm before then.

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited February 2021
    Onverser wrote: »

I don't think it's necessarily the same, burglars come on rare occassions and take one or two things from homes adding a little bit of chaos, sharing is caring causes absolute carnage. When it came out my sim was running a restaurant and people were literally taking all the tables

I guess it doesn’t bother me as much as some because I use Little Ms Sam’s Live In Business mod and so a lot of my community lots have live in owners, so I just incorporate the repairs into my storyline, and if it gets too cumbersome I just instantly repeal it, and shut off NPC voting. I personally wouldn’t mind burglars at all, I am always saying this particular game could do with way more randomness and fun quirky “hardships” for our sims.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited February 2021
    I like to think that they’re going to expand the burglar experience which is why we’re having to wait such a long time. Similar to what the devs did with the doctor career in GTW they’re going to make burglars more interesting and interactive for the players. Instead of making doctors just a rabbit hole career (or in the case of burglaries an NPC) they might expand the role to where your sim can now be the burglar. They could even make a secret prison lot where you can either do your time like a good, reformed Sim citizen or you could try and escape. I think there’s a lot of burglar/criminal gameplay the devs have never really explored before in the Sims and I think that it could be quite fun (obviously without trying to glorify it).

I might have to go and make a thread about this in the Ideas section now...
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    I like to think that they’re going to expand the burglar experience which is why we’re having to wait such a long time. Similar to what the devs did with the doctor career in GTW they’re going to make burglars more interesting and interactive for the players. Instead of making doctors just a rabbit hole career (or in the case of burglaries an NPC) they might expand the role to where your sim can now be the burglar. They could even make a secret prison lot where you can either do your time like a good, reformed Sim citizen or you could try and escape. I think there’s a lot of burglar/criminal gameplay the devs have never really explored before in the Sims and I think that it could be quite fun (obviously without trying to glorify it).

I might have to go and make a thread about this in the Ideas section now...

I would love that
    more for sim kids and more drama please