Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting the local newspaper back

Yay or nay?

Comments

• Options
    ReaganboganReaganbogan Posts: 278 Member
    It might be useful for Sims living off the grid looking for odd jobs. I'd say yay, only because I want anything realistic added to the game.
  • Options
    thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    Newspaper for Elders. It'll basically be a computer/tablet for them. They can have fun with it, learn skills like logic (puzzles, etc.), find out about the weather, and more. They should have negative buffs when using computers and/or other tech devices and positive buffs when using the newspaper.
  • Options
    thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    Also, Sims younger than Adults should get a negative buff (bored or smth) when trying to read newspaper
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I disagree with the negative buffs for younger people. Some simmers play the game in other centuries, long before computers and cell phones being attached to an appendage.

I liked the newspaper in the older games so I would like to see them make a come-back. There are people in RL who still get a physical copy of the local and global newspaper. I know that my physical copy of the newspaper has a lot more "news" in it than what the digital one does.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I would rather that they can read news online. I know they can already "troll teh forums". If the newspaper does come back, yes, I'd play with it but online news would be more realistic to me.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Newspaper delivery is still a thing in my country, so yes.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Sure, why not?

I don’t like the idea of making the game aspire to be as modern as possible. Just because some people in real life are attached to technology, phones, and the internet, it doesn’t mean that reflecting that behavior onto Sims is going to make for a fun, interesting game. I’ll gladly take back newspapers which had interactions like doing a crossword, making a paper plane, finding work, reading local news, etc. over using a phone in the game.
  • Options
    MinaiMinai Posts: 706 Member
    Agreed. I don't appreciate the modern style very much either.
    I still have a house phone too.
    I prefer a game that is more realistic.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'd like the newspaper back, along with land lines. Both are still very much in use in my country. Sure it seems to be getting less and more in favour of the internet, but not everything and everyone is online here... yet. They'd also be great options for people that like to play their game in anything sooner than 2020.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    nessatay1920nessatay1920 Posts: 459 Member
    Need the local paper back
  • Options
    YautjagirlYautjagirl Posts: 351 Member
    I want it back badly, it was fun to read and was also great for jobs, etc. Also I really want more funny pop ups about townies in general. I miss this :(
  • Options
    Lee12321Lee12321 Posts: 318 Member
    I'd like the newspaper to return for off-the-grid sims or the option to have it for elderly sims instead of having to use their phone
  • Options
    ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I have always wanted a more realistic gameplay, Today almost everyone has a phone and I barely ever see newspapers anymore. I don't think newspapers are something we need to bring back in the game because of this but having the option I'm sure would be nice for some people.
  • Options
    SallycutecatSallycutecat Posts: 269 Member
    Newspaper for Elders. It'll basically be a computer/tablet for them. They can have fun with it, learn skills like logic (puzzles, etc.), find out about the weather, and more. They should have negative buffs when using computers and/or other tech devices and positive buffs when using the newspaper.

Why a negative buff when using computers? In real life a lot of elderly people are quite happy with using computers. A negative buff when using tech devices would be better suited for a trait where they don't like tech, rather than steriotyping elderly people.
    Please check out my YouTube Channel. I cover features from The Sims 4 game.
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCaj9o4hycNSPy8U1Ip0OCFA/videos
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    It would be cool if this was an option/service your Sim household could subscribe to. No newspaper for households who don't want/need it, but it would add to off the grid and realistic gameplay imho.
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    The little things do matter. While in most cases, the newspaper just piled up without my Sim reading it; and then tossing them out after about a week; it's a small feature that the current game doesn't have.

I use a landline as my primary phone, and stores still sell them. Most people still have a landline where I live. I only know of a small handful of people who have gone to just having a cellphone. Mainly because the coverage for most carriers, especially AT&T, is pretty bad. I wish we still had the TS3 setup for that. But, I only know of a small handful of people who still use a flip phone. I'd mostly used rugged industrial-model flip phones--since they were waterproof, and couldn't be crushed if I sat on them. I had to go to a Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 smartphone, as you can't find a quality-made rugged flip phone; and the only AT&T carried at the time were just as expensive. I still have a (ugly fleshy pink) rotary phone in my room, and I'm 22. It's a late '70s GTE, and it will work, even when the power is down. Ironically, I can't call the power company with it, since they have an automated menu. That requires the dial tones to work, which means the rotary is out.
  • Options
    Erja888 wrote: »
    It would be cool if this was an option/service your Sim household could subscribe to. No newspaper for households who don't want/need it, but it would add to off the grid and realistic gameplay imho.

Yes! It would
  • Options
    smilepandasmilepanda Posts: 101 Member
    This was on of my favourite parts of the sims 3 and I only ever played the cats and dogs version on a 2DS. It would be nice for sims that don't use phones and it would make more sense if for lower end jobs, you could find them in a newspaper.
  • Options
    TruthGamer96TruthGamer96 Posts: 123 Member
    Yes! And a more fleshed-out newspaper as well. Get caught up on local news, expand your mind with a crossword puzzle, giggle at the funnies, or feed your morbid side by checking the obituaries. For the latter, elders will probably be looking for people they know, and depending on their personality/relationship to the deceased, could get sad moodlets ("Ah, poor ol' Nancy"), or playful moodlets, ("I knew ol' Dan would go first! Eheheheh!")
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    Today I've saw my sim wiht an interaction to "complain about lack of newspaper" or something like that. I've never seen this interaction before.
  • Options
    HopeCrashHopeCrash Posts: 119 Member
    Yay! And please make them whistle like Nancy the papergirl from TS1 🙏
  • Options
    Forgeron wrote: »
    Today I've saw my sim wiht an interaction to "complain about lack of newspaper" or something like that. I've never seen this interaction before.

Wait whaaa did I miss an update or something?
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    HopeCrash wrote: »

That whistle noise is embedded into my subconscious permanently 😭
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    HopeCrash wrote: »

I seriously actually miss that
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    Minai wrote: »
    Forgeron wrote: »

Wait whaaa did I miss an update or something?

idk, maybe its an hidden feature. The first time it appeared to me was when i was throwing a black and white party, its one of the stuff you can talk about during the event. It only appears when I'm attending this event, i Don't understand the correlation but... its there.