Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If we have a Sims 5, do you think we should have a combined residential and community lot option?

Lots that could be a combination of a residential and community lot could include farms, gardens, garden centers, greenhouse businesses, some bakeries, campgrounds, even some apartment lots could have a community venue on the premises. Sims could get a job on these lots, regardless of whether or not they live on that particular lot.

Comments

• Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    It'd be nice to sort of have a way to zone them, if you will. I always liked the idea of an apartment above a business. The restrictions on the community lots in 4 don't allow that very well, and as nice as the stalls can be on the home lot it feels too much like a yard sale.

There is bound to be a better way to combine them, but I think the problem is sort of tied to the design of 4. Imagine having both your residential and community lot in close proximity and loaded at the same time so you could go back and forth between them seamlessly.

Thinking about that, open neighborhoods would be great. I don't care about whole open worlds, but I'd like a neighborhood to be loaded.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes, we need a new OFB. It's possible in OFB so I don't see why the fifth iteration can't do it again. I mean my Sims live in part of a lot and run the other part, whether that's downstairs or in a different building on the lot. TS2 still had the best ideas.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I have wanted this for a while. Be able to put an apartment above a store or club or a vets office inside someone's home. I also feel like adding this to the game would help with the possibility of creating an apartment building which I have tried to do multiple times (but just locking doors for specific sims is definitely not the same as designating specific areas as an apartment or residential area)
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    OFB was my most favorite expansion of all of them. I loved to create a business on the same lot my sim lived on.

I absolutely hate the restrictions that TS4 has put on all community lots. I miss the days when you could put down anything on a lot and people would use it, regardless of the type of lot.

TS4 to me is weirdly broken up into several different types of lots that are essentially the same type of lot. Why do we need a Karaoke Bar, a nightclub, and a lounge as different lot venues? Why can't all of that be combined and just call it a bar or hangout? I think it's their way of making it seem like we're getting unique and diverse lots, without actually getting anything new.

Why do we need a cafe or restaurant to be a different type of lot? Why can't it be tied to the type of things you put in it? If you want a cafe for normal, fast food type meals, then you would place down a certain type of grill for the cook use, same thing with a 5-star or fancy restaurant, place down a high-end oven and hostess podium for seating your sim.

I feel like there's just so many other venues they could have given us, like an arcade for teens to hang out in. I miss the pet store from TS2 where you could go and adopt animals or buy their supplies. Laundromats or movie theaters.

For TS4 to have a slogan of create your life, play with life, or whatever they're saying now, they put way too many restrictions on all the worlds and force us to play their way.

Why can't I make apartments in any world I want? Why can't I sled, ski, hike, swim in any world I want? I own the packs that those activities came with, I should be able to use all of the things from those packs in any way I choose to use them.

But back to the question .......

Yes, I absolutely think we should have the ability to have a combined residential and community lot!
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Depends on the sort of thing, I'd like to see some sort of "community living" scenario. Like an apartment block for example which has a communal area and a bar or a gym in the lower floors that your sims can visit in the same lot with all the other people that live there. I think that'd be cool.

I'd also like to see more of a thing on shared houses, for example you can just buy a bedroom in a house and share with sims that aren't in your household. You can kind of do this with roommates already but it's weird randomly getting thousands of simoleons from them when I don't want my sim to be the landlord
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    For sure, this would be a great idea. I think it would be great to have multiple households on one lot, too, similar to TS2: Apartment Life.

And OFB was such an amazing pack. Playing it felt entirely like its own game, with the retail features being so detailed and intricate. It's definitely unmatched by TS3, and it was only an afterthought with TS4, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    Hey, look at real life. residential/commercial zonings dot the landscape. So why not in Sims?
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~