Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[Maybe sensitive topic] Why did EA delete the threads of Snowy Escape?

m3ukkiem3ukkie Posts: 45 Member
I found all the threads about Snowy Escape arguing the problems between Japan and South Korea are gone now.
Yeah, I know this thread is following the same path, too, but let me express here my big disappointment as one of Japanese simmers.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING, EA?

YOU USE OUR CULTURE and YOU MODIFIED OURS AS YOU LIKE AS IF IT'S A JUST GLITCH and what now? ARE YOU SAYING "YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH"?
YOU ARE LITERALLY STEALING THE OTHER’S CULTURE.
WHO ARE THE RUDEST PEOPLE HERE? SOUTH KOREAN? JAPANESE?

NO, IT'S YOU! EA IS THE GROUP OF RUDEST, GREEDIEST PEOPLE MONETIZYING THE OTHER'S CULTURE LIKE FASHION STYLE!
Post edited by m3ukkie on

Comments

• Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I think it's a weird flex that you accuse EA of being rude while typing your post mostly in all-caps.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    You are right. I was too hysteric and pathetic. I had to get calm down before posting that comment, even though none of them would care my post.
    I apologize that point.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    m3ukkie wrote: »
    You are right. I was too hysteric and pathetic. I had to get calm down before posting that comment, even though none of them would care my post.
    I apologize that point.

If it is any comfort, the petition has over 1,100 signatures now, and the owner has given it to EA for their review.

https://www.change.org/su/p/electronic-arts-add-back-bowing-and-the-original-swatches-stop-the-disrespect-for-japan-714f6e35-d40b-46e5-9e60-bb726f7e9fc9/f
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    This is most likely gonna get closed. My opinion: It's just a game and I don't care that they removed bowing from the shrine.
    He/Him
  • Options
    If it is any comfort, the petition has over 1,100 signatures now, and the owner has given it to EA for their review.

https://www.change.org/su/p/electronic-arts-add-back-bowing-and-the-original-swatches-stop-the-disrespect-for-japan-714f6e35-d40b-46e5-9e60-bb726f7e9fc9/f

Thank you for spreading the word.
    Yes, I've already supported the petition and am glad to hear that it was sent to EA.

I honestly think the feelings of South Korean simmers should be also respected, of course, so what we have to do now is not just deleting and denying. We have to understand each other and find another way that both of us, well, mostly, could feel comfortable after deep deliberation. But my question is, is the company, which made this pack, really deliberating the problems now?

I just can't believe that they are keeping the silence, ignoring and even deleting people’s voices here. It’s like you say you like cool black music and ask black artists to go up to the stages and do their performances, but once they start screaming “Black Lives Matter,” then you say ”I don’t wanna hear that ugly argument.” *mute. If I did this, how can you say I wouldn’t be an irresponsible person?
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    You know what's sad is given how corporations tend to work, the most likely outcome of this controversy is that EA will see it as a risk to include various cultures in the future and will do the least of it they can get away with, without dealing with too much of the reverse problem, of people asking to see representation.

If they really wanted to get ahead of this stuff, what they need to do is learn enough about a culture before implementing and basically decide who they are going to be ok with offending and why. It's virtually impossible to represent a real culture in a game like this and not make some decisions that are going to be controversial, and it just looks bad when they have to self-correct midstream and can't justify the decisions they made to begin with because they presumably researched poorly and thought they could just implement a culture and please everybody. But that would require being ok with having a portion of potential sales not wanting to buy the product, so... corporations gonna incorporate or whatever.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited October 2020
    If its the threads I'm thinking of, they were getting rather fractious. The mods tend to keep these forums on an extremely tight rein so I was surprised it was around so long. It wasn't aimed at anyone, they lock and occasionally delete any thread that gets argumentative.

The less messy threads probably got moved to packs discussion.

Also this thread might get locked as they dont like people second guessing moderation decisions.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,738 Member
    They got out of hand. People started to compare war crimes.

Only reason they were around for so long was because people posted during the weekend, so the moderators were not there.

It's a sensitive subject, I think it is important to discuss but I also understand that moderators try their best to keep these forums a friendly place to visit.
  • Options
    Triplis wrote: »
    You know what's sad is given how corporations tend to work, the most likely outcome of this controversy is that EA will see it as a risk to include various cultures in the future and will do the least of it they can get away with, without dealing with too much of the reverse problem, of people asking to see representation.

If they really wanted to get ahead of this stuff, what they need to do is learn enough about a culture before implementing and basically decide who they are going to be ok with offending and why. It's virtually impossible to represent a real culture in a game like this and not make some decisions that are going to be controversial, and it just looks bad when they have to self-correct midstream and can't justify the decisions they made to begin with because they presumably researched poorly and thought they could just implement a culture and please everybody. But that would require being ok with having a portion of potential sales not wanting to buy the product, so... corporations gonna incorporate or whatever.
    Thank you for your feedback :)

Yes, I agree that the most likely outcome of this controversy is sadly that EA will see it as a risk to include various cultures in the future. But so what? Are you implying that then we should just watch and accept cultures distorted and abused by the others, while the certain people feel disgusting about that through the game?
    You mentioned they presumably researched poorly, right? I agree, too. Can their poor research be the excuse of abuse? Isn’t it culture something you should respect more? Isn’t it more research that they have to do now?

I didn’t ask them to be perfect and didn’t ask them to represent a real culture in a game at all. We all make mistakes, so we have to learn. They didn’t research enough. That’s ok to me now. It’s just a mistake in the past. My question is then, what they are doing now. They needed to at least listen to the people whom the cultures belong to, but, hey, they are deleting the topics and keeping on ignoring. That’s the point I am criticizing now.

I can’t agree “it just looks bad when they have to self-correct midstream.” I think you should correct if it’s wrong. But I agree that you can't justify the decisions they made to begin with. I know everyone has their own justice on their own story. It’s ok to me if EA ultimately concluded their inclusive way should be as it is after deep deliberation. But while they are rejecting the voices, how is it possible?

You say corporations are going to incorporate or whatever, because the purpose is selling this product. I don’t care how many copies they are going to sell now. Those are full of immaturity and deception, not only this pack. EA has kept on ignoring minor people. How was the Skin tone update by the way? If EA intended to learn somehow, if they could just show that they are caring or trying, I would gladly support them buying the copy.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited October 2020
    Problem is people take it too far. If a thread turns into a comment war the mods will delete it.

People just need to chill out and make their points without screaming.
  • Options
    If its the threads I'm thinking of, they were getting rather fractious. The mods tend to keep these forums on an extremely tight rein so I was surprised it was around so long. It wasn't aimed at anyone, they lock and occasionally delete any thread that gets argumentative.

The less messy threads probably got moved to packs discussion.

Also this thread might get locked as they dont like people second guessing moderation decisions.

So you think those threads were reasonably and automatically deleted by the mods? I could barely read the most controversial thread which has 25 pages or more, but another thread, which I could read through, was not such fractious.

One could be reasonably deleted by the mods. Thank you for teach me that :)

And, yes, I know this thread won't be long. My words probably don't deserve to be kept.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Problem is people take it too far. If a thread turns into a comment war the mods will delete it.

There were also lot of name calling in there, thats why.

ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    They got out of hand. People started to compare war crimes.

Only reason they were around for so long was because people posted during the weekend, so the moderators were not there.

It's a sensitive subject, I think it is important to discuss but I also understand that moderators try their best to keep these forums a friendly place to visit.

Yes, because the problem's background itself is related the war and our annexation of Korea in the past, it's unavoidable. I know it's a bit strange that South Korean people, including younger ones who havn't gone through the event, still intend to keep on enphasizing their damages, or more like their hatred, after all those years, and after we officially apologized and so on. I believe the memory of conflicts is important in order to build our futures so that our children won't suffuer again, not in order to hate someone, but another important thing is the fact South Korean people are still unconfortable with us. I honestly don't know the detailed reason, because the threads were gone. Why?

Yeah, you are right. This might be too sensitive subject. Thank you for pointing out :) I can understand the feelings of simmers who want to just enjoy the game, because it's a game, I know. Neither have I expected that I feel this way while playing the sims game.

Maybe I should put a little warning "sensitive topic" or something on the title, so that simmers who want to just chill out can avoid the unwanted topic.
  • Options

So you think a thread went too far and the mods deleted the one reasonably. Thank you for letting me know :)
  • Options
    izecson wrote: »

Were they pointing or accusing someone individual? like some kind of quarrel, not argument?
  • Options
    This is most likely gonna get closed. My opinion: It's just a game and I don't care that they removed bowing from the shrine.

I respect your opinion. You don't care because it's not a matter you concern with. Please don't waste your time to read my post. I'm sorry for taking your time.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    izecson wrote: »

Were they pointing or accusing someone individual? like some kind of quarrel, not argument?
    I was following the 25-page thread pretty closely and it wasn’t as bad as some people made it out to be.
    There were a few times where someone used the word weaboos which is mildly insulting. There was a lot of talk about the SJW mindset which is what I think bothered the SJWs the most, so of course they reported those posts.
  • Options
    babajayne wrote: »
    I was following the 25-page thread pretty closely and it wasn’t as bad as some people made it out to be.
    There were a few times where someone used the word weaboos which is mildly insulting. There was a lot of talk about the SJW mindset which is what I think bothered the SJWs the most, so of course they reported those posts.

Oh, thank you for the information :)
    Yeah, it makes sense to me. I can easily imagine tons of SJWs were there.
    So you think the reports made the mods delete the thread. Interesting.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member

At least once, someone clearly stated they had reported posts in the thread. I was surprised that there were fewer SJWs than non-SJWs, from what I could observe.

For a couple of pages, things derailed to pleasant OT travel talk, but they got back on track. The whole thread didn’t have to get deleted. There were some thoughtful discussions there.

My takeaways:
    Most simmers seem to agree that if EA just made fictional religions and ethnicities, overall it would cause less issues. It’s impossible to be 100% inclusive and do it right all the time, why leave anyone out.

A few of us were saying the bow should be a self-directed interaction that a sim can do, so any simmer can use it how they wish. This way it would not be connected to any religion but it could be a great compromise.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited October 2020
    My opinion is that EA should start doing some research before adding things into the game that they don't fully understand, especially when it comes to other cultures. I play games to escape real life and I don't want all these political issues brought into the game.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    My opinion is that EA should start doing some research before adding things into the game that they don't fully understand, especially when it comes to other cultures. I play games to escape real life and I don't want all these political issues brought into the game.

I'm sure EA probably did consult Japanese players on the game, but do you honestly think that they would consult another country who doesn't share the culture? That would be like creating Dia de los Muertos and then asking Canada what they think about it. Or creating a pack based in England and then asking Ireland if they are okay with it.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member

I totally agree with you. They do not belong in the game or these forums.

Mic drop
  • Options

At least once, someone clearly stated they had reported posts in the thread. I was surprised that there were fewer SJWs than non-SJWs, from what I could observe.

For a couple of pages, things derailed to pleasant OT travel talk, but they got back on track. The whole thread didn’t have to get deleted. There were some thoughtful discussions there.

My takeaways:
    Most simmers seem to agree that if EA just made fictional religions and ethnicities, overall it would cause less issues. It’s impossible to be 100% inclusive and do it right all the time, why leave anyone out.

A few of us were saying the bow should be a self-directed interaction that a sim can do, so any simmer can use it how they wish. This way it would not be connected to any religion but it could be a great compromise.

Making a digression looks healthy to me :) You can't keep serious conversation for so long. Digression sometimes let you get calm down, so you can go back and keep healty talking.

Yeah, I also agree with the idea of fictional religions or ethnicities. I honestly don't care if EA sets a big llama instead of the shrine and makes the sims bow towards one, for example. For the optional bowing, I'm curious about how South Korean simmers would think.

I really think the information you provided here is interesting. I wanted to read it through with my own eyes and see how the others think. What a shame.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Maybe the threads weren't snowy enough?
  • Options

Yes! Neither do I.
    EA set a fire and saw it was going wild, then they just tried to erase it. Only this grudge among us remained. No explanation so far, maybe becaouse it's not a matter for them.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top