Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What The Sims 3 Does Better- Carl's Guide

This should get a lot of thoughts. 😀

https://youtu.be/L3Lu8eLZ4ec

Comments

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    He's not wrong. Everything he pointed out are things I still love and reasons why I do go back to TS3. I did have to learn to play TS4 differently to be able to enjoy it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    The Sims 3 is my ace in the hole. I don't have time for 2 games and since I'm having fun with 4 I'll wait to play 3 again when 5 doesn't make an entrance or bombs.
  • Options
    ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    TS3 was great! I think that was were the game reached its peak but has now landed with a bang lol. I just need to save a bit more money and I can play TS3 again!
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    If Sims 3 was given a complete makeover in 64bit, with all modern uses of screen sizes, video cards catered for it could be a great hit again as it had very good ideas, too great to work with 4G memory.

Flynn Arrowstarr... says in a forum though ...."Sims 3 is a 32-bit program. At best it can access 3.5 GB memory, but there are some limits to that. When you run a 32-bit program on 64-bit Windows, the system allocates up to 4 GB memory to an "emulator" called WoW64 (Windows 32-bit on Windows 64-bit)."...............

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20233.msg372465#msg372465
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    This video isn’t wrong.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Everyone in the TS3 forum already knew all this! <3

• Options
    Everyone in the TS3 forum already knew all this! <3

I'm aware. 👍 Which is why I posted in Sim Franchise. So everyone gets to see how awesome TS3 is!
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    Thank you for posting this. My laptop had a hard time running TS3 back in the day, but watching this video really makes me wish I had this game now. Watching the movement throughout the city, the random interactions between sims who meet on the street, the meaningful activities...man, what a better game. And this didn't even touch on relationships and personalities in TS3, which I also think were much better!
  • Options
    @Placebo7 I believe you can get it on Origin and Steam.
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 3 is not a bad game despite its crashes - it take a lot of patience to get it up and running smoothly and that's what throws those who don't have that kind of patience a major loop. Frankly the constant crashes from Error 12 and the lack of optimization in the game coding is what p***** people off and so they go off and play a game where they can get "instant gratification" while slagging the hell out of Sims 3.

And that's what p***** off people who take the time and are persistent enough to stick with the game until it runs smoothly; hearing people with little patience slagging the game.

And that folks is why you get the Sims 3 vs. Sims 4 war.

Sims 4 fans: "Sims 3 sucks, their sims are ugly and it runs like poopoo..."

Sims 3 fans:
    WWIEExY.png
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    The Sims 3 is not a bad game despite its crashes - it take a lot of patience to get it up and running smoothly and that's what throws those who don't have that kind of patience a major loop. Frankly the constant crashes from Error 12 and the lack of optimization in the game coding is what p***** people off and so they go off and play a game where they can get "instant gratification" while slagging the hell out of Sims 3.

And that's what p***** off people who take the time and are persistent enough to stick with the game until it runs smoothly; hearing people with little patience slagging the game.

And that folks is why you get the Sims 3 vs. Sims 4 war.

Sims 4 fans: "Sims 3 sucks, their sims are ugly and it runs like poopoo..."

Sims 3 fans:
    WWIEExY.png

I can relate to this, as much as I loved TS3 much more than Ts4 I can't point out its flaws without someone gets triggered by my post.

As for the video, I watched it few hours ago and it made me hop into the game and played it for almost 4 hours nonstop.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I prefer 4. I love Carl's videos though I usually disagree with him haha! THanks for posting this:) I look forward to watching!

(And no war intended here, I Have ZERO issue with others preferring different games than me haha, I just have a less popular play style that 4 suits more.)
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited September 2020
    Simburian wrote: »
    If Sims 3 was given a complete makeover in 64bit, with all modern uses of screen sizes, video cards catered for it could be a great hit again as it had very good ideas, too great to work with 4G memory.

If they ever did that, I know I would never load TS4 up again. And, I think that EA would fear that would happen with a lot of other players too. That the old TS3 players would go back to that game and never buy any more packs for TS4 nor move on to TS5. Keeping it a broken rage inducing laggy mess is a way to force players to abandon it.

If EA was smart tho (which we already know they are NOT) they would actually remaster it, include some things from TS4 that they're so proud of, update it to 64 bits, give it a little facelift with the sims themselves and rebrand it to something like "TS3 Re-Imagined - The Next Generation".

And, I'm pretty positive people are setting themselves up for severe disappointment regarding the 64 bit MAC version update because they think it will also include a 64 bit update to PC. The only reason why they are updating it is because people who have purchased the game and packs who updated their MAC can't play a game they purchased. People on PCs can still run the game, it runs like c-rap for some, but it still runs on windows operating systems.

I know there's been tweets and posts on Reddit showing conversations people have had with EA Customer Service Reps regarding the update and the person said it was coming to both PC and MAC but I'm not sure if that's really the case.

The post from MaxisJoe back in June was on the EA Help Site MAC Technical Forum and he did not state anything regarding the 64 bit update including a PC update.
    MaxisJoe

Hey macOS The Sims 3 players!

Just popping in to give my monthly update to you. First is the tl;dr version:

Yes, we're still working on it
    Yes, we're adapting to work-from-home. I can't say that this is a core factor in things not going as fast as we'd like, but it sure isn't helping.
    Yep, that switch to ARM processors is exciting. Like all macOS developers, we're frantically assessing what this means to us and our games.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/the-sims-3-64-bit-amp-metal-release/m-p/9257271#M7664

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this. My laptop had a hard time running TS3 back in the day, but watching this video really makes me wish I had this game now. Watching the movement throughout the city, the random interactions between sims who meet on the street, the meaningful activities...man, what a better game. And this didn't even touch on relationships and personalities in TS3, which I also think were much better!

@Placebo7 little tip: buy the game second hand. It's a lot cheaper and you won't be paying 40$ on 10 year old expansion packs.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited September 2020
    When I see videos like this I wonder what the sims4 would have been like if they would have tried to make it like the sims3. I don't feel that their decisions that they have taken with the direction of the sims4 have really worked.

I will admit that I like the sims4 more than I liked the sims3, but Carl is not wrong.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    This is the reason I still play ts3 even after ts4 has been out for six years. I play it almost daily and I still find new things I didn't know about even after eleven years of playing.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    This is the reason I still play ts3 even after ts4 has been out for six years. I play it almost daily and I still find new things I didn't know about even after eleven years of playing.

I still play it too. Especially in 2020 since I didn't buy a single pack for the Sims 4.
    Fact is, sims 4 without new packs gets boring quickly, unlike previous games.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm going to guess (by what I saw way back at the release of TS4) people who played and loved TS3 never even moved over to TS4. I would guess 99% of people who loved TS3 (more than TS2) didn't buy TS4. But I would also guess about 50% of TS2 players did buy TS4 because we believed a somewhat 'open' district was going to be better than a closed lot. And we had said a lot about the AI in TS3 where it seemed they took maybe too many seconds or minutes to interact after a command. However, we also see TS4 as expressive as those Sims are, doesn't have the depth of TS2 Sims, so, I think still to this day TS2 is the better game. It's just that TS3 added so much more in packs, and the store (clutter) as objects to use and surround the Sim with junk. But I know I am still waiting on an actual restaurant in TS3. I have to say I love restaurants in TS2, but TS4's DO is better than the restuarants in TS2 by how they are served, what foods and drinks they can order, ordering more foods, etc. But TS2 had table interactions for romantic interactions so for every thing gained there is always something lost. TS3 is a huge game, it makes me wonder why they ever thought anyone who loved TS3 would ever switch to TS4. Maybe TS2 players would for awhile but not diehard TS3 fans. I have to wonder how much revenue they lost by about 99% loss of players from that group of Simmers. Too bad, because even TS4's fanbase is starting to get fed up with Maxis chasing new players and not listening to even them on what content and improvements even they want to see.

ETA: He made good points, and to answer his last question, yes, I never really fully appreciated TS3 until TS4. I wasn't keen on big list in that game (as he pointed out) about skills and with fishing and all that other stuff, but it offered rewards and things that added to a personality. My only real problems with TS3 was it was extremely overwhelming to me, the AI sometimes seemed slow to interact, and some things never were added from TS2. But it is a huge game, really huge, so, yeah, I remain shocked they call TS4, The Sims' fourth iteration. Maybe it is actually a side game, spin off.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm the same I LOVE what I experienced in sims 3. It's an amazing game. But I'm having so much fun with 4 right now i probably won't commit to it until later. I tried but can't play two at once.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    amp107amp107 Posts: 205 Member
    I agree with a lot that he's saying, however a counter point - he mentions right away at the beginning of the video that a common complaint of TS3 was that it was slow. This wasn't just a complaint for me (and I'm sure others had the same problem), it was a deal breaker. During the era of sims 3, I was playing on a Lenovo laptop. It was an incredibly fast starting laptop and it couldn't open TS3 CAS without crashing. This meant that after many painstaking and frustrating days I finally managed to pop one family out of CAS only to be doomed to play only that save forever without ever being able to edit the family again because I couldn't deal with the game crashing and not saving every time I tried.

Beyond the performance issues, I fell in love with a rotational play style in TS2 and not being able to do that in TS3 took a lot of fun out of the actual gameplay for me.

0IzRxZE.jpg
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't have much time to play a lot of games, but back in the days I upgraded my desktop just to run the Sims 3 properly. Why? Because I had a desire to build my own worlds and have my sims live in them. I converted part of my mac into a windows operating system, only so I could use CAW.

Watching this video makes me feel a little 'homesick'.
    I really love Sims 4 for what it currently is and in my opinion it does some stuff much better than 3. However...

When Sims 3 runs the way it's intended, it really is a fantastic game.
    Can't beat the open world, cars and those...unicorns. The Horses are done incredibly well! I'd never ask for a horse, but this is an exception.

With the Nraas mod you can get rid of all the cars and just travel by horse (or unicorn) if you want to live in a historical or fantastical world. A world which you can just build yourself in CAW or at least download from the gallery.

The customization in TS3 and the feeling of openness has always been something else though.
    I must say that when I played the game for the very first time, the open world was quite overwhelming, but it didn't take long for me to absolutely love it. And I actually miss those insect and small animal spawners. Turtles...I remember them well... :D

One day I'll get back to it. It deserves my attention again.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed watching it and agree with all of his points. For these reasons and more, The Sims 3 actually feels like a full-fledged PC game which is way more satisfying to play.

I’ve been playing The Sims 3 the most as of late and I enjoy it so much now that I have it working well. So much content, customization, and spontaneity that I unintentionally get lost in it for hours like I used to. There are just so many fun paths to plan taking your Sims down, while constantly finding new, unexpected paths along the way.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    For me, TS3 will always be the game that felt the most like a living world. There were no kids running around in the parks when they were supposed to be in school. If you were speaking to someone on the phone, they were somewhere in the world, actually speaking to you on the phone! It wasn't all make-believe.

That level of simulation takes a lot of computational power. I can't help but wonder what a modern-day equivalent would be like now that technology has advanced so much. That's what I hoped for TS4. In the end, the devs decided to chuck the simulation almost entirely in exchange for nice visuals. Yet, the strangest thing: TS4 still has "simulation lag", so go figure.

So much sacrificed for negative gain.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,428 Member
    edited September 2020
    Keeping it a broken rage inducing laggy mess is a way to force players to abandon it.

It's not working... :D:mrgreen:
    People on PCs can still run the game, it runs like c-rap for some, but it still runs on windows operating systems.

I know there's been tweets and posts on Reddit showing conversations people have had with EA Customer Service Reps regarding the update and the person said it was coming to both PC and MAC but I'm not sure if that's really the case.

However that is not the right way to do it...to make it favor one faction and let the others continue to fume... Either make it run equally well for both platforms or discontinue the project - I'm sorry if that offends Mac users, but that's my viewpoint.

Playing favoritism for Sims 4 and excluding every other iteration is what got them in this mess. Don't compound it by making the Sims 3 smoothly playable for Mac while giving PC users the finger.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    What is going to be really funny is when EA/Maxis decides oh, look, TS4 has out sold all of them (and it has to my knowledge) so we should go ahead and make that TS5 mmo. Not taking into account they had to do a lot of pandering and fixing to turn the salvaged Olympus Project into a sandbox, single player, so called life simulator. But because it has made the most, they will probably take that as a sign they should build another mmorpg, forgetting all about why TS4 finally made so much money after six years or more of trying to get it back to a life simulator.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.