Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dear Sims team, do you want to take a break?

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    simplyzoe wrote: »
    How about they take a break and learn to see the game as a player? Yeah that's right, play the game and I mean the different aspects of the game until they have to deal with the bugs, so then, (because I do not mean this to be a punishment) they may be able of think of ways to fix them, and feel our pain.

I'm sure many will comment that they do play the game, so I will reply beforehand, from what perspective do they play?

Thank you

I know they say they play the game, but do they really? Or do they just build or go into CAS and create. I mean are they really playing full on game with a save they've had for months or years?

Because truly if they did, they would for sure already know what bugs there are, and if they've been around a long time, they would also know that their "smarter" sims are lacking in most things.

A big indication that they don't play the game for long periods of time are the premades. Back in the Sims 2 and 3 when you entered a premade family there were family trees and gravestones from 3-4 generations in the past. In the Sims 2 sims had memories and relationships upon entering the household for the first time.
    Some of those were obviously cheated to make the process faster but the team said that they would play through the families while creating the base game or the expansion pack and this is how they would come up with those crazy storylines, by playing for long periods of time.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't think they need a break, I think long time players need to take a break from buying any more packs. Period. It's clear they were out of touch with their core fanbase, since the JTB has over 80,000 dislikes. But how many of those 80,000 will go ahead and buy it on sale? Over half.

They are even out of touch with TS4 fanbase not just those who have been around proping them up for twenty years. I said a few years ago even the TS4 fan would tire of being dumped for a new player who has never played. That is the demographic they keep trying to please. Trying to bring in new types of players.

I watched a lot of hot and heated complainers' reviews of the new SW pack the other day. They are not SW fans, but they said exactly what most people who are unhappy with the direction of TS4 has been going have said here on forums. They didn't sugar coat anything. I would post the links but I can't since some foul language was used. There weren't just one or two of these type reviews but dozens. They were not game changers or part of the troop that has to squeal tp make a pack seem better than it is.

But one game changer reviewer did say if she wasn't doing reviews for a living (paid) she wouldn't even review the new pack.

They came from all types of walks of life, all ethnic groups and gender, wanting to know what Maxis was thinking. They went into depth how the game lacks gameplay, proper skintones, lackluster traits, lackluster personalities, has way too many bugs time and time again, reuses and reskins assets we already have, gameplay we have already seen over and over. Pretty much what I have been saying for years.

So, Maxis, it's not just your Twitter and or Forum users who are unhappy with the direction you are taking TS4, nor even players who were here twenty years ago, but even your TS4 players. If you want to be a trend simulator, and you said so, and also it's a lot of other things and then blame your customer because they thought they were buying into a long time (shelf life) of another iteration of a life simulator, go ahead, but even your TS4 fan core is fed up with being told it's their fault if they can't 'accept change' and adapt to change.

We don't buy packs so you can afford to chase after those who care nothing about a life simulator, and will be gone tomorrow, when they see the next new shiny app on some phone or tablet.

Maxis, can no longer be trusted with this 'we hear you', because they have proven over and over, no, they have decided TS4 isn't a life simulator and we should accept change and growing in a different direction. So, no, they don't need a break, I'm sure they have their direction down to a T, it's the customer who needs to drop them.

It wasn't even just TS4 fans, or those who prefer the older games, but even SW players are having a laugh, since this isn't any skin off their backs, and not going to buy. It's not just one pack, it's the direction. So, time for all who care about a life simulator to drop it because it doesn't exist.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited September 2020
    Peral wrote: »
    It has become a great rift between family players and those who want adventure/fantasy in their game, this question asked in the thread become a bit questionable. "Dear Sims Team, Do you want to take a break" Is it so that they only should care for the family players or the adventure/fantasy players?! Should the Sims team only cater for one sorts of play or both?

The thing is, no one here that I've seen brought up supernatural vs. mundane until you did. I wish that the community would stop doing that. I actually read someone say that they "hate" realistic players. HATE. That is what this community has come to!

To my knowledge, it wasn't an issue until Sims 4. That's because in the other games, each pack had something for everyone. The suits at EA/Maxis are the ones who decided to segregate the content. They are the ones who created this US vs. Them mentality within the community.

It's absolutely possible to create packs that have something for everyone. The team had no problem doing it before and the community was not as divided as it is now. EA/Maxis could start healing the rift by going back to releasing packs in a way that was more harmonious for everyone. That is to say, start with a solid foundation and from there, keep releasing well-rounded packs with something for everyone. Then they wouldn't have to spend so much time ping-ponging back and forth and trying to put out the fires that they laid the kindling for.

I hope that someone who actually makes the decisions will consider this in the future. I also hope that people in the community will stop blaming each other for things that are entirely out of our control.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    It has become a great rift between family players and those who want adventure/fantasy in their game, this question asked in the thread become a bit questionable. "Dear Sims Team, Do you want to take a break" Is it so that they only should care for the family players or the adventure/fantasy players?! Should the Sims team only cater for one sorts of play or both?

Both without a doubt, and for the record I'm a family player I but want us all to enjoy the game and for it to work.
  • Options

@Peral I would say do both! But do it well and do stuff people want. You know if this pack was Happy Haunts people would be much more excited and the dislike ratio wouldn't be as terrifically high.
  • Options
    Komura wrote: »
    I think, as an unqualified bystander, that they need to sit down and decide what kind of game they want, who they want to make it for, and if the price of long time loyal simmers leaving or going to other simulators is worth it. I get it, I do, my time as a simmer is looking like its over, this game Series isn’t what it once was when I was a youngling and it’s leaving me behind. That’s fine, I just need to know so that I can enjoy what I have and be thankful for what I enjoy, without expecting or wanting anything else, basically I would love to know where the Sims team stands so that I can decide where to go from here. If the Sims team has decided that simmers like me and adults are no longer their target, who am I to beg them to make this game for me? I don’t beg people in my own life for anything, I dang sure won’t with a game.

I am angry, and I am hurt. I’ve been playing the a Sims since I was a kid, I’ve been there for every base game launch, and nearly every expansion launch, I watched this game blow up into what it is today. I think I have the right to be sad and feel a little like the red headed step child.

Well said! May I reply that I'm realizing from playing the new additions to my game that they are making it more and more unlike The Sims. Now I'm becoming leery to buy anything else because I don't want my game messed up more. I had always before, given EA the benefit of the doubt and believed they knew what they were doing. But, as we know the world is changing and many more people are speaking up and are done with talk without action. I may hear what they say but I'm going to wait and see what they "Do" and then I will decide if they want anymore of my hard-earned money because I'm not supporting a company that is not listening or fixing what is needed for their mainstream players. Regardless of desire for fantasy play or family play, we all are important to the franchise and catering to both in a dedicated way expands their base and keeps them going.

So, that said I agree if they want to take another direction from The Sims and create a new type of game when there is no competition except the possibility of para-lives (which I know little about) then that is their right but they cannot expect me to invest all that I have with each series of the game and accept what I did not sign up for. So yes, EA please be transparent and speak up about where you are going.

I have thoroughly enjoyed The Sims 1, The Sims 2, The Sims 3 and a lot of The Sims 4 except (and may I say loudly without yelling) the lack of fixing bugs, like if you actually fixed them it is going to keep us from buying the next series because your afraid we wouldn't buy the next edition having a fully functioning game. But if that is what you are thinking you sell us short because we realize as the technology improves then the editions improve. So because you think, we will think, you will get it right this time, so we will just keep buying. Well it would be much better if you would get serious about creating the awesome game that it can be, not the money pit it has become. Look at it as building a solid house, then when you build a better house you could trust us to be there for the newer, better, updated house.

Thanks for listening and please know I'm saying this because I care about businesses and I love to have fun with my sims.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    I don't know if that's the solution. The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 were pumping out expansion packs on a consistent 6 month schedule, stuff packs on a 3 month schedule. Expansions felt so much more complete than how they do now, even with that schedule. Now, it's just an inconsistent random schedule of things being released when Maxis feels they're ready, and the product doesn't feel like it's truly ready after all.

I don't know what truly goes on at Maxis/EA, so I can't play armchair know-it-all and tell them what they need to do. All I know is I'm disappointed things aren't as they used to be.

It's normal though if they feel out of it and uninspired/impassioned, for both new and old employees.

I wouldn't mind putting a pause to the mediocre packs being pumped out (not like I've been buying any recently, last thing I got was Strangerville and I didn't even play it lol), but EA wouldn't approve that so, technically, yea it's not a solution.

They have a problem at Maxis, they just have to figure out what it is because the game's genuinely hollow and doesn't feel like a 'AAA' game or even a 'live-service'.

I think it's rooted in gameplay. We're still stuck in the same, redundant gameplay loop since 2005 (The Sims 2), which creates nothing more than fan demands for the same content they've received. I think their key will be to change the gameplay significantly with The Sims 5, without trekking into multiplayer or anti-life simulation gameplay. If they could get open world (or a world format close to it) with the creative tools of The Sims 3, I think that'll be a great start for many people.

yes and babies that are not objects
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think it would do the team good to take a break. They need to reflect and figure out what they really intended Sims 4 to be.

I think they've been telling us for the last six years. People just aren't listening.

If that's the case they've been saying it's a hollowed out cash grab.

Kind of. If you mean they've been saying they're chasing current trends because they make money, then yes. Star Wars is trending, as was Stranger Things, which StrangerVille was based from. So is "going green", conservation, and tiny homes. They've said they're branching out to try new things and represent more of the modern world, rather than middle class American yesteryear. They've said they're marketing mainly to teen girls, trying to get a new, broader player base which essentially changes what the game is about and also the community as a whole.

They've said a lot of things that have marked changes coming to the Sims franchise as we know it, and they've been pretty transparent about these changes. It doesn't seem to be Maxis who is confused, they seem to know exactly what direction they're heading in, it's the players who are lost. And yeah, it's a sad thing because it means "out with the old, in with the new", and the possibility of an uncertain future for The Sims as we used to know it.

And I'm just trying to be realistic, I'm not trying to make people feel bad. But it's happening, like it or not. Pretending it isn't is only going to lead to unhappiness. Best to try to realize it and move on to the next stage of grief.

Thank you for posting this!

So for some feedback for EA perhaps the disconnect with players is that not everyone that plays a lot are on the forums or twitter or Instagram. They are playing the game and getting the new stuff and wondering what is happening. I for one am only on the forum.

I would not have seen the letter posted on twitter if they had not shared it here and I do not post a lot but I would rather play. Except, as time goes on I get so frustrated trying to play with a changed game and not understanding so I come here to see if I'm the only one., and I'm not.

I have not seen the posts you are talking about because I either have time to play or do the forum but not both and I do not keep up with the conversations.
    But yes, it has become obvious through playing that they are catering to the very young and turning away from the older players is a risk because of the dedication of the longtime players and needing that dedication, we will see how it goes.
  • Options
    cemason004cemason004 Posts: 6 New Member
    I get that sometimes game players grow out of games. It happens...but there are people out there that quite enjoy the last few packs...I've bought all the packs, and have been a long time player. And I'm happy with where they are going with the packs.

In the surveys, I asked for more clutter, I asked for more packs that interacted with each other. For me the past few packs have literally been game changers. I love them because I can use all the packs at once.

I get that YOU didn't explicitly ask for these things. But some sim players did...if you don't like it....don't buy it. But please stop trashing the sims team for doing what some of us sims players asked them to do.
  • Options
    cemason004 wrote: »
    I get that sometimes game players grow out of games. It happens...but there are people out there that quite enjoy the last few packs...I've bought all the packs, and have been a long time player. And I'm happy with where they are going with the packs.

In the surveys, I asked for more clutter, I asked for more packs that interacted with each other. For me the past few packs have literally been game changers. I love them because I can use all the packs at once.

I get that YOU didn't explicitly ask for these things. But some sim players did...if you don't like it....don't buy it. But please stop trashing the sims team for doing what some of us sims players asked them to do.

@cemason004 no no no no no. This is not "my opinion" or something. This is just an objective observation I made that the majority of the fan base is dissatisfied.
    It's okay if you like the packs but there's a huge outrage on Instagram and Twitter. You can go check yourself.
    The trailers for Eco Lifestyle, The Sims Spark'd and Star Wars have a very big amount of dislikes especially compared to previous packs.
    I'm not talking about what I think. I am just mentioning that lately there are a lot of complaints because of the packs, the bugs and missing features.
  • Options
    Leo2009SSALeo2009SSA Posts: 150 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Just curious, what do you consider groundbreaking?

The Sims 2 University, Open for business. The Sims 3 Ambitions, World adventures, Late night. The Sims 4 seasons.
    I consider these groundbreaking or close to that because they either added something completely new and executed it flawlessly or took an older concept and evolved it into something spectacular.

But I want to close this here because this is not what the thread is supposed to be about.

for the sake of this, i’d say Eco Lifestyle was groundbreaking in some sense

...maybe in the way it ruined the game with so many bugs added...
  • Options
    Leo2009SSALeo2009SSA Posts: 150 Member
    The path for success in this franchise was cleared by Will Wright, He made "The Sims" then he improved it to "The Sims-2" (By improving I mean he ADDED stuff, he EXPANDED the number of interactions and objects) and it was the best version of the game.
    From this point on it went downhill. "The Sims-3" improved CAS and offered a seamless world, but that's it. Lots of things were lacking, leaving people missing "The Sims-2". I don't need to describe "The Sims-4", the very existence of this discussion is a good indication on where it stands.

If The Sims developers want to do it right, start with "The Sims-2", give simmers everything they had (interactions and objects) in "The Sims-2" with improved graphics, and then and just then, add stuff.
  • Options
    blockhart93blockhart93 Posts: 56 Member
    edited September 2020
    I would love for them to take a break too if it's needed. I'm currently catching up anyway. This is my 1st game with Spellcasters and I love them and want to experience alot in the game with them.

TS4 has so much potential and personally I've enjoyed the game, but alot is missing when compared to TS3 and TS2. 3 things right off top that really took the game backwards was the loading screens, no vehicles, and the customization tool. That concept definitely should've stayed open. After the world was free to roam, cars were introduced & the color tool for skin, furniture, clothes, etc was open then it should've never went backwards, but forward from there.it would've been pretty cool for an alien to drive a UFO n we could go along for the ride you know..

It's really okay to take a step back and deep dive into what your fans and customers want and then go from there instead of trying to be ahead of the curve by releasing games back to back to stay relevant. It really is better to take your time and release quality content over alot of content.

I would like TS4 to finish strong, that would only benefit TS5 if you decide to create a TS5. I was afraid that the multiple releases of packs back to back means you're trying to end TS4, so if that's not what your intention is really take that step back and get composed.

It'd also be a great idea to finish TS4 strong because of the competitors approaching but honestly if I were to play those games it'd just be to fill a Sims void, so think about that EA team, You guys have the advantage here. You already have decades worth of fans, we ALWAYS have ideas and stories, we actually know what we want & we tell you. So, we know you can get back to greatness & we'll be glad when you do😉
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    cemason004 wrote: »

I can't see that the last few packs actually interact with each other. JTB seems to be completely separate from the normal game. Or particular Sims such as witches, vamps, or whatever (in the other packs) would be able to use their powers in the new world if it was all intertwined and working together. NAPS would be part of the new world if it wasn't so separated from the rest of the game and not just confined to the other pack worlds. Strays would possibly visit the new world. Yes, I know no one would want that, but when we claim that more packs interacted with each other, we need the proof and actually no, TS4 is a very pack specific setup and has little to do with other packs and or base sometimes. It doesn't bother anyone that someone else enjoys this stuff what bothers some of us is that they dare to call it The Sims.

As not to spam this thread, I will add No, EL is not ground breaking. It would be simple enough to program the game to retain certain things such as NAPs when Sims revisit a lot in a closed world system. Even if time is continuing unlike TS2.
    Because they have already invented the wheel with Seasons many years ago. TS2 is the same closed world system as TS4, so, if a Sim in TS2 can visit a lot but it's fall there instead of summer (the lot they left) because the last time they were there either by that Sim or another it was a different season, then they already had the wheel invented with Seasons to program anything else they wanted to do when Sims visit lots to change things (such as environments and or seeding/spawners and rules (NAPs) already past by the player or the game generator. Technically, they already had the wheel to do this.

Object environment effects on lots in EL. Technically they already had this wheel invented way back in TS1 where Sims judge the enviornment of their surroundings depending on objects on the lots..same difference. Your Sim in TS1 will not like a tiny room (size) nor a room without a lot of lighting (windows etc.) so if you think about it they just apply the understanding to objects in TS4 to do some enviornment changes and moodlets for Sims...wheel already invented. Not much ground breaking about it. Knowledge is already there, just used in a different way to spawn and affect a broader area or lot or world. Spawners are easy, TS3 should know. ETA: No one means to insult developers, and we don't know how they code but some do, and my example may give them a laugh but technically changing environments based upon the objects on a lot or in a world was already invented years and years ago, not just at a level players understood it. But it's all the same difference, and I was speaking to the person who said EL is ground breaking, no ground breaking is going from 2D to 3D, porches and decks and dug out basements, pond/water tools, a CASt in game not having to use a third party program, more than four levels, a memory system, an open world, etc. etc.

I can hardly say moodlets and spawners are ground breaking or just a broader lot trait system for NAPs. Seasons, time passes the lot changes to a different season, same thing with the lots changing (worlds) in EL, they go back ot neutral etc. Wheel already invented.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Mw93Mw93 Posts: 59 Member
    Leo2009SSA wrote: »
    The path for success in this franchise was cleared by Will Wright, He made "The Sims" then he improved it to "The Sims-2" (By improving I mean he ADDED stuff, he EXPANDED the number of interactions and objects) and it was the best version of the game.
    From this point on it went downhill. "The Sims-3" improved CAS and offered a seamless world, but that's it. Lots of things were lacking, leaving people missing "The Sims-2". I don't need to describe "The Sims-4", the very existence of this discussion is a good indication on where it stands.

If The Sims developers want to do it right, start with "The Sims-2", give simmers everything they had (interactions and objects) in "The Sims-2" with improved graphics, and then and just then, add stuff.

even by comparison the sims 3 isn't lacking because they had open worlds, advanced cas, endless amounts of skills, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 generation fleshed out the game more than the sims 4 parenthood to the sims 4.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Bringing in packs from time to time avoids "The Crunch" that many game makers have been criticised for putting their staff through in the past and now keeps them concentrating on one thing at a time. I prefer this way as it gives me time to learn how to use packs before the next pack comes out.

Nifty Knitting came out a bit too close to Journey to Batuu for me this time. I'm more into the latter than the former, though enjoyed knitting for a time.