Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How old are you?

So I’m tryna see something. The Sims 4 is primarily targeted towards children and I don’t understand why. All the data I’ve seen, suggests the audience of the Sims are primarily adults with an average age of 30? With TS4, I feel as though the long-time players of the game, have been disregarded in favour of appealing to kids, and I’d just like to see if this poll supports my theory that players of The Sims are mainly adults so the game should reflect that.

So how old are you?

How old are you? 207 votes

15 or Younger
1%
nerdfashionCavapoo_KingMiachongi 3 votes
16 - 29
34%
alexspoom13sims2freak737PlayerSinger2010elemmele1upMushroomsBluelleNausbeckyh101KennziKaigeMissyHissyLustianiciaernesdoSeptJanOctFLaurieGemmie12Lisamango0kristenleighwhiteSelinaKylesThenyoukissmeLadyTachunka 71 votes
30 - 44
40%
crocobauraBluefairy286Kita5399IceyJlisamwittCamkatimhappyTheSpotted_CmcruddIsb917babajayneZorgaSageRainWillowluvalphvlekerryemmiebethrobyngravesEcho17121fruitsbasket101MindofySimplyJen 83 votes
45-59
18%
Sara1010PMsFergy36danacnbrettSimpatsyannBloosmooMeteoraStormAuroraBorealliselanorbretoncandy8simgirl1010freindlylolluthienrisingshygirlLizzychicagoAquariusMomgrayhorseranchFinvolaGorgeoiousSailorCetifoxybilly 39 votes
60 or older
5%
BluegayleFrn0731SimburianMoon_Willowstilljustme2GwastenMicaSucomOldeseadoggeSheriSim57Behappy1stWispye 11 votes

Comments

• Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2020
    16 - 29
    I think there is already a poll on this somewhere. Anyway, I am 22.

Most kids/teens who play TS4 will be on social media rather than the forums so for the purpose of your investigation this isn't the best place to do this poll.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited August 2020
    30 - 44
    There is another thread like this somewhere, and minors were encouraged not to reply with their exact age for safety reasons.

I'm 40.
    Post edited by Nindigo on

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    16 - 29
    Nindigo wrote: »
    There is another thread like this somewhere, and minors were encouraged not to reply for safety reasons.

I think minors were just asked not to state their exact age. They weren't asked not to vote in the poll.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    16 - 29
    You might want to look at the following two polls on the same subject.

There is this poll: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/954037/just-out-of-curiosity-what-are-the-ages-of-all-the-simmers-out-there/p1

It found that 64% of respondents were 20-39, 18% were 40-59, 11% were 13-19, 5% were 60 or older.

And there is this poll: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17367028#Comment_17367028

It found that 28% of respondents were 31-40, 21% were 20-25, 20% were 26-30, 13% were 50-60, 6% were 16-19, 6% were 60 or older, 2% were 12-15.

Like I said before though, the results of a poll here are not going to be truly representative of the average age of simmers in general. It will only show you the average age of simmers on the forum and forum members tend to be the 'older' fans. Most 'younger' fans are in sims groups on social media instead.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    45-59
    I'm 51, and I look every year of it :p
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    45-59
    What they said. xD And I'm 45.
  • Options
    30 - 44
    There is another thread like this somewhere, and minors were encouraged not to reply for safety reasons.

I think minors were just asked not to state their exact age. They weren't asked not to vote in the poll.

That's why I wrote 'reply' and not 'vote' ;)<3

• Options
    edited August 2020
    16 - 29

Oh sorry by reply I thought you meant vote :) (since in my mind to reply to a poll is to vote on it but I see you meant reply to the thread). I think they could still comment though so long as they didn't give their exact age in their comment.
  • Options
    30 - 44

Oh sorry by reply I thought you meant vote :) (since in my mind to reply to a poll is to vote on it but I see you meant reply to the thread). I think they could still comment though so long as they didn't give their exact age in their comment.

Yeah, that is a better way of putting it. Thanks :)

• Options
    16 - 29

No what you said was fine. I was just being dumb lol
  • Options
    30 - 44

No, you weren't. English is not my native language which means that I sometimes fail to use it correctly despite my best intentions :)

• Options
    16 - 29

No, you weren't. English is not my native language which means that I sometimes fail to use it correctly despite my best intentions :)

At the risk of taking this thread off topic, I think it was a perfectly fine use of English and I should have got it but sometimes I fail to use my brain correctly despite my best intentions ;)
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    30 - 44
    I agree that you're going to find an older audience here. Maybe do it in several platforms...? Twitter, instagram, facebook.... and even so there are lots of people playing that don't follow the game in any social media...
  • Options
    AlexSimmermanAlexSimmerman Posts: 80 Member
    PS. I have done several polls on various platforms, this is just another one.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    30 - 44
    PS. I have done several polls on various platforms, this is just another one.

Great.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    16 - 29
    18. Turning 19 in 8 weeks :)
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    45-59
    Let's put it this way, I was born in the year of Aquarius, Woodstock & the first Moon Landing. :)
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited August 2020
    30 - 44
    This poll is too specific around the minor ages.
    The option ‘15 or younger’ is inappropriate. Youngsters should not be allowed vote for an option in which it’s clear they are a minor since this is a public poll.
    Other polls did show a wider range in which the actual age of younger folks is unclear unless they comment, which is not encouraged and post like that are removed by the mods.

Anyway. I’m a grumpy but incredibly handsome old fool.

• Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    30 - 44
    The option ‘15 or younger’ is inappropriate. Youngsters should not be allowed vote for an option in which it’s clear they are a minor since this is a public poll.
    Other polls did show a wider range in which the actual age of younger folks is unclear unless they comment, which is not encouraged and post like that are removed by the mods.

I imagine it has 15 or younger because in a lot of places, people get most of their adult privileges at 16, rather than 18, but I'm just guessing.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    30 - 44
    SimKeats wrote: »

I imagine it has 15 or younger because in a lot of places, people get most of their adult privileges at 16, rather than 18, but I'm just guessing.

It's against the forum rules for anyone underage (18) to state their age, whatever that is. So maybe that option is indeed inappropriate.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,465 Member
    edited August 2020
    30 - 44
    SimKeats wrote: »

This is the international sims forum though. The game is rated for teens, which I believe starts at 12+. A poll option that states 12-25 is maybe more appropriate? I get it’s not how reality plays out, however, if we go by the content rating for this game, anyone younger than 12 should not be encouraged to use the forum or play the sims...

Finished grumbling, Grumpy Old Fool has.

Edit: indeed, as I was typing, @crocobaura stated correctly that it’s against the forum rules to announce your age when under 18.
  • Options
    30 - 44
    Teen begins with thirteen, right?

Oh, and you are not old, @CAPTAIN_NXR7 ! Our age group is only halfway through life, so cork it :D

• Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    30 - 44
    @MaggieMarley @Nindigo
    You guys are so sweet! I love reading your apologies to each other, wish more people would behave like this when misunderstanding a post 💖

I’m 33 btw, with some emotional personality issues so I apologise for anything mean I might have written at some point! Sometimes I can’t control my emotional personalities so I’m really sorry if i’ve been obnoxious towards anyone!
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    30 - 44
    I agree with @QueenSaraphine about @Nindigo and @MaggieMarley . You guys rock. Made me happy to see such polite people around :>
    origin ID: adduapina
  • Options
    CareyEve36CareyEve36 Posts: 287 Member
    30 - 44
    41 and happy to see that there are many others in my age group as well playing this game!