Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Well, Nifty Knitting went down like a lead balloon.

Comments

• Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited August 2020
    I got it recently even though I was on the fence. I wanted the activity even if the style of some of the objects is not really my taste.

It does give sims something to do in odd moments. I added it for a sim and she's always autonomously starting knitting projects but I think it might be a bug because she'll start them but not complete them unless I direct her. Now she has a bunch of projects that she chose to start but hasn't finished. I hope they work that out. I'd rather choose the projects and manage her knitting.

I think it adds a hobby to the game in a detailed way. I just think we need more hobbies generally. The sim whom I have knitting is an artsy, creative type so it adds more for her. She's already on level 4. Her house does seem cozier now. I will have some knitters teach the skill to children and grandchildren.

I would use it with other crafting or creative sims, that's just the household I've been playing.

If they want to add more styles for the objects, I would be happier.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't spend very much time on YT watching sim videos. Maybe 5% of my simming experience. I'd rather play. And discuss the game on the forum.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited August 2020
    I don't spend very much time on YT watching sim videos. Maybe 5% of my simming experience. I'd rather play. And discuss the game on the forum.

It's the same for me. I've never understood the draw of things like Let's Play videos. I'd much rather read a written review than watch a video review. This current trend for "famous" Youtubers, vlogging and so forth leaves me cold.

I watch the the official trailers and livestreams but I only watch fanmade videos for games if I need to know how to do something and need to visualise the scene, but that is even less likely for a sims game than for an rpg, for example.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I wanted a granny styled pack instead of this pastel fest and that's why I'm waiting for a sale. It still seems like a pretty good pack to me and I definitely want to get it later.

When it comes to other stuff packs and the buzz, I don't really follow that. Have to say though that Tiny Living is a very different concept and the offers a challenge that's particularly inspiring for builders like Lil'Simsie, so I don't think it's fair to compare the amount of videos made for these packs.

There are actually quite a few swatches for the furniture, so it's not all pastels. It's a fun pack, though I have to leave the knitting basket out of the inventory a lot or else my Sim stops what she's doing and goes off to start another beanie. :| And when she has to fill out reports for work or write books to make extra money, all that knitting time cuts into her financial security.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Tiny Living sure generated a lot of videos.

Maybe because there was not much left to talk about... Simguruconor and SimguruSarah did a really god job showcasing the pack before it released.

I do like the discussions that we are having on the forums after LGR's review though, I think it is interesting to hear people's different views on stuff packs overall.

I'm also not sure how easy it is to make an exciting video about knitting. I have watched Dr Gluon play the pack and while he tries to make it entertaining by doing silly things like adding 100 balls of yarn to the lot every time he plays, he has said multiple times during the video that he is sorry that there is not much focus on knitting, because when his sim is knitting there is not much else he can do except watch, so he does other silly stuff like creating clubs and other things.

Is it wrong to say that I feel that excitement for the sims4 overall seems lacking? For a game that apparently has millions of users, you would expect the views on YouTube and comments to be way more.

Does everything need to be exciting, though? Many people just want ordinary things for Sims to do, like laundry and crafts (like knitting). I was away from the game for about a year so I missed all the voting, but I'm enjoying the pack; it's not a central focus of my Sims but it's an enjoyable side line, like most SPs have turned out to be.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited August 2020
    logion wrote: »
    I'm not sure. Tiny Living sure generated a lot of videos.

Maybe because there was not much left to talk about... Simguruconor and SimguruSarah did a really god job showcasing the pack before it released.

I do like the discussions that we are having on the forums after LGR's review though, I think it is interesting to hear people's different views on stuff packs overall.

I'm also not sure how easy it is to make an exciting video about knitting. I have watched Dr Gluon play the pack and while he tries to make it entertaining by doing silly things like adding 100 balls of yarn to the lot every time he plays, he has said multiple times during the video that he is sorry that there is not much focus on knitting, because when his sim is knitting there is not much else he can do except watch, so he does other silly stuff like creating clubs and other things.

Is it wrong to say that I feel that excitement for the sims4 overall seems lacking? For a game that apparently has millions of users, you would expect the views on YouTube and comments to be way more.

Does everything need to be exciting, though? Many people just want ordinary things for Sims to do, like laundry and crafts (like knitting). I was away from the game for about a year so I missed all the voting, but I'm enjoying the pack; it's not a central focus of my Sims but it's an enjoyable side line, like most SPs have turned out to be.

No, not everything need to be exciting. I'm not judging anyone who liked the pack. I will probably buy the pack myself at some point.

It's just that Maxis gives away such huge numbers, like that The Sims 4 passed 20 million unique players worldwide. Total net revenue was $1.59 billion for the quarter, and total net bookings reached $1.98 billion (2020-01-30) That's an insane amount of people and money generated. And when I look at their twitter and their youtube channel I just can't help but wonder...where are all those people?

I know not everyone watches youtube or have twitter but still...20 million people? And some of their videos have only 100 000 views?

I think the answer is that not all those people are active players, but still, it does feel a bit surreal. Nifty Knitting comes out, a pack that maybe I don't know... a couple of million people voted for, we see very few videos for it.
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I think this pack is great but I haven't had a sim knit yet. When I get to "that" household then I will. So far my sim is selling her paintings on Plopsy which is really cool and cute. I've also used one of the hairdos, a top and a few decor pieces for my sims house. As a few have stated above about integration of SP's, well I do that for GP's and EP's too. Couple of months ago I finally sent sims to college. They lived with the Elderberry's until they were done with school. I have not played with dorm life yet and soooo many other things in my game. It's what keeps it fresh.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    LquinnLquinn Posts: 385 Member
    First of all I am not a knitter, nor am I a crafter. If in real life I were to attempt to knit, I am sure I would stab myself the throat with the needle. I was not particularly excited about nifty knitting. That said, I feel that I got my money's worth. Plopsey may need some tweaking, but having a Sim do the knitting and getting an item out of it, plus a new skill to build and new build items, well I'm fine with the pack. I do understand the objections, I would have preferred a number of packs over this one, but for $10, I am satisfied with it. What if for stuff packs we were to get just CAS items or build items, or just new swtchs, and leave playability to Game and Expansion packs? I would be ok with that.
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i got the stuff pack and i think it fits in very nice with other items we already had from previous stuff packs ..like the items with nifty knitting work nicely with tiny living ...the color themes with bowling stuff ...i always love whatever enhances previous packs for decorating...there is tons of things to knit and i want my quality up there before i begin to add to my cas..so i am donating a lot right now and will be selling a lot in the future until i am happy with the quality of what i knit. it is summer and there is a lot more to do then in the winter months so i think the level of engagement also speaks to that....it is a nice stuff pack that gives you lots to get done for the price you pay. i always think it is too bad we don't end up with all the ideas that were presented for stuff pack themes ....folks see something they love like happy haunts and then they feel very sad when that one doesn't make it. it so happens that i liked the knitting idea but i have been on the sad end of voted packs in the past and it is not so fun.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    This is a fold it into your game play pack for me. Most turn out to be like that eventually, but as a hobby that not all of my sims will use it's the way it is. I've rotated to another family that doesn't knit the last time I played (this morning) and although they do look at plopsy now and then they haven't really used anything from the knitting pack. I'll get plenty of use out this pack in the long run though.. I'm quite sure of that. It's helped to further some character development for me. No lead balloon here for me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I think this pack is great but I haven't had a sim knit yet. When I get to "that" household then I will. So far my sim is selling her paintings on Plopsy which is really cool and cute. I've also used one of the hairdos, a top and a few decor pieces for my sims house. As a few have stated above about integration of SP's, well I do that for GP's and EP's too. Couple of months ago I finally sent sims to college. They lived with the Elderberry's until they were done with school. I have not played with dorm life yet and soooo many other things in my game. It's what keeps it fresh.

Same. My sim earned her degree while working and living at home. Her daughter will be the first to experience dorm life. When I get around to it.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Well, it's knitting. :|
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I'm still trying to recover from the buggy state of the game after buying EL. I spent a year plus making a builder sim with level 10 skills and EL broke her by placing naps on her that stay even when starting a new game.

They can't use the pandemic as a excuse because it was programed prior to it. With a pandemic, buying any new packs is asking for even worse things to happen to your game. I broke down and bought the knitting pack but it's the last pack I'll buy from them until they fix the game.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Well, it looks like a cute pack, but I can't really see anybody getting all excited for it. It's just a $10 stuff pack. The content is very niche and will appeal to some people, but it's not a game changer.
    Stuff packs are a dime a dozen. This pack was better than the others though.
  • Options
    my sim is knitting a bit slow compared to many of you..but now she is at level 5 and she knitted a couple hanging flower pots ..they are super nice...she can try sweaters now but her caps are still normal quality so maybe she needs to make a few more of them perhaps
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited August 2020
    My Sims haven’t even started knitting yet, so I don’t have much to say about this pack. But I think the current state of affairs in the world is impacting the level of excitement people feel for many things. I am also one of those people still trying to get my game back to where it was before all of the bugs in Eco Lifestyle took over my game. I have a lot of Sims who now have only one or two personality traits, for example, instead of three or four. I also have a lot of Sims with broken aspirations and careers. I had to create a new custom career today to replace one that no longer works and has not been updated, so I had no time to actually play the game. Nifty Knitting does seem like a fun pack, though.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    @Rouensims ..i am so sorry you have had those experiences ...you could be right the world situation right now is so sad however that being said I would have to think that because there is not a lot the people can do to change any of it ...escapes like the sims would be a must do..i know i have done more reading and sims then i have in a long time due to the world situation. Good luck getting your issues in game straightened out.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think a lot of people are fed up with TS4 in general at the moment. Nifty Knitting is right up my alley, but I've stopped buying packs until more bugs are fixed and something is done with the base game (so probably forever.)
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited August 2020
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    probably it's because the votes were rigged, and there weren't that much people who actually wanted knitting

Honestly I suspect this. People are saying they found knitting animation in Discover University, and then we got a ton of crafting content in Eco Lifestyle that fits really well with the Plopsy gameplay. And they did that collab with EA's Unravel game as well. I think this is just a way for The Sims to split up Eco Lifestyle content, get sponsored by another game, and then say "well you guys voted for this" if anyone complains.

And now the pack is out and instead of enjoying it people are excited for one icon leak of our next game pack lol

Happy Haunts should have won. Period.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I dont watch or look at much social media. There are a few and I mean very few, I'll watch when bored. I've pulled up twitch and always see someone doing something with knitting. And right now I'm still enjoying it. I have my grandma sim learning the skill and working on making all the stuff.

But I dont get all day to play like some. Working a full time job, taking care of toddler and the husband, and the household chores I get in play when I can. So what takes a youtuber 1 day to do may take me a couple weeks. So I can see why they only have 1 or 2 streams about it. If I had the chance to play through all day I'd probably be done with it after a day as well.

Also, I didnt vote for knitting. I think I voted for Happy Haunts or something hobby related just not knitting, yet I am enjoying it when I can.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Probably it's a community project where all of it has been discussed before? So, there's no surprises or challenges to it? I don't know, because I don't own the pack yet & I don't watch the Simmers that you've mentioned.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited August 2020
    I think it's getting a suitable amount of attention for what it is. I don't watch other people's videos all that often unless its Gray Still Plays because his are hilarious. Tiny Living, even though it was a stuff pack, actually added some very deep changes to game play, in that you can not only build your your dream tiny home, but you get great benefits from your sims living in those tiny homes. It was a game changer to me. This pack added a much lighter game play element so its probably not going to get as much attention.

I would like to add that my sims have leveled their knitting and you can make a tone of new cloths an other items for CAS and for your sim's homes but a lot of them are recolors. I will unlock them all but knitting is something you can do on the side slowly so its not as much of a WOW factor. No need to immediately unlock 12 sweaters that look exactly alike accept for the color. You can do that over time.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    How much excitement can a stuff pack generate? I don't remember any stuff pack having a mass of discussion after release.

It's no lead balloon for me, I'm busy knitting away.

@elanorbreton Tiny Living got a lot of attention and tons of build challenges.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    I did actually vote for knitting - and anything arts and crafts related, because I love hobby related content. However, the art style of this pack is meh to me, feels like things we already have in game. So in no rush to go out and get it. And the look of the rocking chair is a major let down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.