Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No wonder The Sims is seen as a joke

Comments

• Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    It's not about whether you "like" this pack or not. Maybe you like the theme. Great. But whether you like the theme or not, this pack is just one more low-content "EP," that we should not pay EP price for. We also maybe should stop paying for content that does nothing to FIX the base issues with this game, but that's for another post.

Compared to previous versions of the Sims, these EPs are offering you VERY LITTLE CONTENT. Packs used to come with tons of new social interactions, stuff, clothes, gameplay options, and even relationship systems (check out what was offered in TS2 Night Life, for example: vampires, cars, a new attraction system, more options for personality, new aspirations, and OH YEAH, like 4 new lot types and a new world). Now, this is chopped up into a million packs, and if we keep buying them all, this will never change. You are settling for less than you deserve on this game. I have been guilty of it too. But I agree with OP, only we can stop the madness.

Check out this video from 2018 if you want more explanation of what is happening to this game (and your wallets):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZG-vr1w_w4
  • Options
    HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    edited May 2020
    I agree with you OP some of yall are overreacting and acting as if they are forcing you to stop buying the game chill out! They are simply saying the best way to let the gurus and EA know that we need more things is to stop paying for games. The guru's aren't listening to us at all they are just giving sly and borderline rude responses to any legitimate criticism. EA a billion dollar corporation also doesn't care about us and has never cared.

Post edited by HayleeSims on
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    HayleeSims wrote: »
    I agree with you OP some of yall are overreacting and act as if they are forcing you stop buying the game chill out! They are simply saying the best way to let the gurus and EA know that we need more things is to stop paying for games. The guru's aren't listen to us at all they are just giving sly and borderline rude responses to any legitimate criticism. EA a billion dollar corporation also doesn't care about us and has never cared.

This ---^
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I agree with you OP some of yall are overreacting and act as if they are forcing you stop buying the game chill out! They are simply saying the best way to let the gurus and EA know that we need more things is to stop paying for games. The guru's aren't listen to us at all they are just giving sly and borderline rude responses to any legitimate criticism. EA a billion dollar corporation also doesn't care about us and has never cared.

Won't do any good to say don't buy the game and stop it that way. Every time I log on and go online to the News I find that logged on players are double last year's and that's only the logged on ones. I get logged off if I leave the game for a little while and have to re-connect to get on the Gallery again so numbers probably much more.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited May 2020
    I agree with you OP some of yall are overreacting and acting as if they are forcing you to stop buying the game chill out! They are simply saying the best way to let the gurus and EA know that we need more things is to stop paying for games. The guru's aren't listening to us at all they are just giving sly and borderline rude responses to any legitimate criticism. EA a billion dollar corporation also doesn't care about us and has never cared.

Thank you. In this whole thread people have been acting like I've made the biggest fault ever. I was just saying we need to say no. And then great for you if you feel like you'll have fun with garbage.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited May 2020
    I was just saying we need to say no. And then great for you if you feel like you'll have fun with garbage.
    The thing is, that what "we" need to do is an individual decision. And as for the last part of your statement in my quote, please just acknowledge that people have different ideas of fun and without mocking anyone. If you can just do that, we're good.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member

Thank you. In this whole thread people have been acting like I've made the biggest fault ever. I was just saying we need to say no. And then great for you if you feel like you'll have fun with garbage.

You're still generalizing. It's not fact that the game is "garbage". It's your opinion, which you have every right to express. But other people have different opinions which are also valid. Like in my opinion this game is awesome but it's not fact and it would be wrong for me to ask "why do you hate such a good game?". Because it's good to me but not to everyone.

I like the game so I'm going to buy it. Sure if you don't like it then you can choose to not buy it to send a message. But that's an individual decision to make.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member

They love to complain about complainers but aren’t aware that if it wasn’t for us they still wouldn’t have toddlers, pools and basements in their game and DLC for DLC would be the norm. EA is testing how far they can push without their shenanigans negatively impacting their profit. Bow down to them and you’ll end up with a Sims 5 without children and elders, loading screens when going upstairs or downstairs in your home and each season getting sold separatly in an EP but yet with less content than in previous iterations.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2020

I gotta say it too. This statement is exactly why people come into this thread to say their peace. Many of us don't believe either in your statements or even just in how they were worded. They are inflammatory and as others have pointed out they invalidate anyone else's point of view about the enjoyment they get from the game or their feelings of the quality of it. I don't get why you seem to be surprised with the response.
    Of course I cannot think of a way to tell people who agree with you or come close to agreeing to not buy the game if your intention is to have people boycott the pack. But I suppose you could write your topic up in a way to appeal to those specifically not happy with the game and it might cut down on feeling like people are against you. There is a complaining thread for this pack right now that I don't bother to post in for instance. If you would have done that with your topic I for one wouldn't have come into the thread. Once you invite in everyone though they are going to come if they feel moved too.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Well great for you guys if you have fun. Sorry that you misunderstood my statement but I won't change it. Plus I see many people keep coming back to my thread, why bother if u don't agree? And I say ''we'' cause in case you didn't notice many simmers have passed this one. Those ''6 millions sold'' are certainly not the same target. So yeah, you don't want people to complain, fine, let's see where TS5 and TS serie will go. I'm complaining because I still care of this game, otherwise I wouldn't be here. You don't seem to understand that many of us ''complainers'' would love to be able to say ''we love TS4''. But since we're always the bad guys.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    The issues most people have with so-called "complainers" is:
    for one, there's a big gap between calling something garbage and horrible and providing constructive criticism and potential for improvement
    for another, it's the ones who generalize their own opinion into the only acceptable one and invalidate any and all possible enjoyment of the game that others have.

Personally, I love reading about things that could be improved, I like talking about all that too. But nothing is black and white only and it's the generalizations that I find annoying. And the attitude that if someone doesn't agree that the game is garbage, they must not want it to be improved at all.

Well I have many threads with constructive criticism but still people are coming for my neck. You say not everything is black or white so it also applies to you. That's not because someone complain that it's all black and you're in the white side.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    for one, there's a big gap between calling something garbage and horrible and providing constructive criticism and potential for improvement
    for another, it's the ones who generalize their own opinion into the only acceptable one and invalidate any and all possible enjoyment of the game that others have.

Personally, I love reading about things that could be improved, I like talking about all that too. But nothing is black and white only and it's the generalizations that I find annoying. And the attitude that if someone doesn't agree that the game is garbage, they must not want it to be improved at all.

Well I have many threads with constructive criticism but still people are coming for my neck. You say not everything is black or white so it also applies to you. That's not because someone complain that it's all black and you're in the white side.

Maybe it's less about what you say as how you say it. As I said before: there's a difference between "The SIms is seen as a joke" and calling it garbage (implying people who disagree with you are wrong) and, say, a thread that's asking for specific ideas and improvements to the game.
    There's nothing constructive about threads like this one, for example.
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    As a Simmer, I am fine with TS4. I waited to migrate until Toddlers were implemented, several packs released, etc. And, with the amount of money I had sunk in TS3, I was not going to move on just because. I needed a worthwhile destination, and an incentive. I got it. And I am not at all dissatisfied.

Sorry you are, OP. But the fact is, most people playing like it just fine. TS4, right now, is in fact more popular than any game in the series ever has been. And it's not seen as a joke. It gets write-ups in places like The New Yorker and the Atlantic and Cosmopolitan - not teenybopper mags - because it has been around for 20 years, people grew up with it, and it's still around. It is, in fact, a cultural touchstone.

If you have specific complaints, take them to the Feedback forum. But don't come in here where we discuss the game we enjoy and try to drum up company for your misery. That's not what we are here for.

Edit: My current Conservationist (and retired 5-star Celebrity Chef), Riley McGee:

M0MRbCz.png

Just because you are a content locust doesn't mean everyone else is.

I disagree that the only appropriate place for the OO's post is in feedback, and also disagree that this is only available to those who want to praise rather than complain.

I don't feel the game is entirely a joke, but doagree that much has been done to make it less robust and appealing than previous editions of the franchise.

But whether I agree with the OP's viewpoint, I would fight for their right to express it freely.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    kaiwrysims wrote: »

You're still generalizing. It's not fact that the game is "garbage". It's your opinion, which you have every right to express. But other people have different opinions which are also valid. Like in my opinion this game is awesome but it's not fact and it would be wrong for me to ask "why do you hate such a good game?". Because it's good to me but not to everyone.

I like the game so I'm going to buy it. Sure if you don't like it then you can choose to not buy it to send a message. But that's an individual decision to make.

no, you could open up a post like that, and so what? there is no reason why you shouldn't, and no reason why the OP here shouldn't have posted this. We have the right to disagree and express ourselves here and it is not a crime, sheesh!
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

This is a very rude way to make your statement.
  • Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    I had no idea that simmers were seen as a 'joke' in other communities. :o They say you learn something new everyday.

If you mean garbage as in the rubbish/trash to be picked up to de-pollute the worlds (or indeed encouraged to actually pollute the worlds), then thank you. I'm sure quite a few people will enjoy it, since it sounds like it'll have some replayability value which I know quite a large number of simmers have been wanting and I've seen quite a lot of simmers getting excited over it. So that's nice.

If, however, you mean garbage as in your opinion of the pack, then I'm sorry you feel that strongly about it. I do, however, understand what your original point is. Now, I haven't read all the way through this thread because I get the general gist of the content. But I did read the original post.

If I'm correct, you're pointing out that if people are indeed dissatisfied with the direction of the franchise, they should speak via their wallets. I think this makes sense. If you don't like the sound of the new pack, don't buy. If you do like the sound of it, do buy. At least then the sales will speak for themselves and the Developers can see whether the pack was really popular or not. If it is, then they'll know a large quantity of the community do want it and if it doesn't do well, then it'll confirm they don't.

I think it really is as simple as that.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about what others think of me buying and playing TS4.

What gets me is how some of them tell people in the (video gaming) community they can't be real gamers because they play The Sims. I haven't experienced it. However, I play what with a different community of gamers outside the sims (Card Games like) Magic and Vanguard, (RPGs like) Shadow Run, Cyberpunk, Mage The Ascension, Werewolf The Apocolypse and Vampire The Masquerade, D&D etc., LARPing (Live Action Role Playing Games) for Mage the Ascension, and Werewolf The Apolocolyse mainly but will play Vampire The Masquerade when I can find a LARPing group for them. (Tabletop Miniatures) Warhammer 40k, Malifaux and others (the real reason I probably never Sims packs when they come out because why spend 40 dollars on an Expansion Pack when I can get the latest Codex and models for 40k... because I am always buying the latest Games Workshop hotness.) I have a serious problem I know I am sorry. Some of these gamers would tell you if all you play are video games you can't be a real gamer. I hear it all the time from those gamers. I personally believe if you play and are passionate about the games you love then you are a gamer no matter the game or fandom. Whether you play the games I play as well as videogames. I was once at one of the game stores playing 40k when a group of kids came in looking for videogames. As if on cue, I saw other gamers rip on them with the "you aren't real gamers come sit with us and we'll teach you what real gaming is speech/rant" they are fond of doing to players who only play videogames and come to the store looking for the latest Xbox and Playstation games. I think they scared most of them off. A few brave ones stuck behind. They asked me questions about my army and I think they were my good luck charm because of my Dark Mechanicum slaughtering a 50k point Grey Knights army because the guy I was playing was curious why I don't always play my Dark Mechanicum army in casual play and he wanted to see what my army could do. I warned him and asked if he wanted me to limit what my army was allowed to do. Because that is just the right thing to do when I play this army. I'll gladly but my Warp Worm away in a casual game and keep my Datasmiths off the table too. I let my opponent decide what I can and cannot bring to the table unless I'm playing to teach someone a lesson and knock them down a peg or two. The army is designed to go up against plumb players, power players and people who bring a tournament list to a casual game without warning other players first. I'll gladly help another player out with testing a list if they warn me first instead of telling me after the fact that they got the list from Reddit and wanted to see what the list could do.

They should take up their issues with EA, not the community.

I get the anime snobs more often than not who look down upon those who like sentai and tokusatsu as well as anime.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    MinxMinx Posts: 1,221 Member
    I haven't posted on the forum in ages and I stay away from these types of posts, but I must admit, I'm disappointed with this pack. I'm more hype about the knitting than this eco pack, but maybe it is due to a lack of information. I am excited about the new world, because I like having new worlds, but the features do seem like they would be imposing and if not then an all or none type deal. If I was provided with the ability to pick which worlds I wanted to be impacted by pollution and pause and un-pause each individual world as I please, I'd be less disappointed.

I just really hope there is more to the pack in the ability to customize new features. Am I going to buy it? Yes. Will I wait for a sale? Probably not.

What I do like, though, is that they did use a theme we haven't had before, even if they did take Island Livings conversationalist gameplay and recycle it to something bigger. I personally liked that aspect of the pack and felt that it would be nice to be expanded on. I love RPGs where my actions have lasting impact. I just hope they were able to do the concept justice and not give us a lacking pack.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member

I can agree, it seems almost all of us when we have the slightest bit of negativity people call us dirty trolls and tells us to don't buy it and shut up...like we care about this game too!
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I can agree, it seems almost all of us when we have the slightest bit of negativity people call us dirty trolls and tells us to don't buy it and shut up...like we care about this game too!
    I don't think it's wrong to complain per se. It's mostly a fundamental right. It's the way it is done sometimes that I may have an issue with. For example, it's pretty common to alienate people of a different opinion and/or to throw in a bit of mocking as well to sort of underline how much one disagrees. And then there are the general statements attempting to unite everybody under the same opinion. These things are what I have a problem with.

Communication and social conduct are multifaceted and come with some basic rules that we all must adhere to if we hope to do well among others. We each have to take responsibility for the messages we send through our wording - even the unintended ones - and we need to be aware of the impression we leave and make sure we do things properly.

Just blurting out a lot of yak in the face of others, because one feels upset will naturally result in equally much "counter yak" from those who disagree. And then we suddenly find ourselves knee-high in unintended yak which can be very difficult to get out of. Then comes in the moderators in shiny armor on their white steeds...

PS: We can all become better if we work on it. I'm learning too every day and also make mistakes like everyone else

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    And OP isn't it good to have a game that emphasises cleaning the planet as against littering it with downed spacecraft, aliens, horses, dead men or peculiar little creatures and finding the killer in chief, giving him a paycheck?

It's about time we got some good reality back.

I'm going to have a ball with the new packs coming out. It'll take my mind off the fact that if I get Covid I'm dead.
  • Options
    @Simburian Yeah, I will be as well, as I'm the unlucky owner of more than one chronic illness and have vulnerable airways =/

The seriousness of reality can make game complaints seem incredibly insignificant. I just hope everyone finds it within themselves to smile at the good things which, despite everything, are still around aplenty if one would only look.

• Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    A lot of users attacking each other over opinions that no one has any right to on a private forum regulated by EA. That's the bottom line, each of us can say what we like within the rules as was already pointed out by the EA rep. I can only suggest the matter be dropped.

Now i've played IL and i wasn't overly enthusiastic about playing it and i'm still not thrilled about it, but at least that had more value than seasons did which was some lines of code to introduce weather effects and a few other bits and pieces, that to me wasn't worth being an EP in any shape or form, but GF had more value than seasons in content that mattered, but still no where near enough to call it an EP and sell it as such.

I'm not sure of this EP quite honestly, i'll have to do my own research when more details come out, and the chances are i'll likely have to wait the month out and through to release before i see much more. it would help if EA posted all the pack contents like they do with all the others on their product page on Origin so everyone knows what to expect with the facts in hand rather than going by a trailer that can be manipulated to give the intended effect it looks better than it really is.

I get EA needs to make money from any new pack, but more recent ones are slightly redressed build items from previous packs with some average clothing choices and some other CAS bits. I said this before about EA, the way they go about these things and put them out there are really bad. I still haven't forgotten the anniversary disaster which summed up what the developers thought of their community with a hot tub and a few music tracks instead of something good, it seems still nothing has changed.

There will have to be a lot of convincing with this pack for me to consider getting it, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    Ya know.. I have nothing against the upcoming pack itself because it actually appears to expand on the whole game instead of just one world. Granted the trailer is bad and doesn't show the ep off as it should. They definitely could've done a better job with it. It's to early to say if it's truly bad or not. Pollution is something that's new. New is (sometimes?) good.

What I have an issue with is the base game and the sims. Traits literally mean nothing. Every sim is the same, they all act the same. There is nothing to distinguish each one from another. Emotions overlap and over ride everything. Sims AI isn't as intelligent as it was advertised. Also the lack of consequences with actions get rather annoying most of the time. I really don't see them overhauling any of my personal issues. Which is why I gave up on this. Our complaints have fallen on deaf ears for way to long. I'll stick with other forms of entertainment and previous sims games.

I promise this isn't ment to knock anyone, but maybe more people should go backwards until they find a life simulator or simulation game in general that'll make them happy?
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top