Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No wonder The Sims is seen as a joke

Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
I can understand now why other fandoms and even EA sees simmers as a joke etc. I mean, the foolery is not over. First of all 60$ dollars for an unfinished game (no pools, no basements, no toddlers, no cars, no real teens, no open world, smarter sims that are actually dumber and I could go on and on). Without saying we are still waiting for more half of the basegame things missing. Then EPs that got weaker and weaker with ephemeral gameplay and always more recycled ideas. Then we suddenly started to see GPs targeted as ''EPs'' (Get Famous, Island Living and now this trash thing). Then a MFP stuff pack to complete a half baked EP. And now, simmers are willing to litteraly pay 40$ for garbage. If you think you'll have fun with it, cool, happy for you. But once again, this is a once & never again pack, again! Who still play the Conservationist career from IL? It's litteraly the same, it should have been included in this pack. I am flabbergasted.

By the way, my intention is not to blame simmers. As a long date player I understand how hard it is to resist the urge to buy. But we need to say no.
Lu4ERme.gif

Comments

• Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    And now, simmers are willing to litteraly pay 40$ for garbage.

Eh, seems very divisive. Check out some of the YouTube comments at the end of my post.

Personally, I have friends who play either all or stick to a certain Sims games. A lot of the ones who swear by TS4 above the others are turning down this pack. And then you have me who has gone from pre-ordering packs full-price, to waiting for 50% sales, to ultimately saying enough is enough, and refusing to buy anything more due to lack in quality. They will all be less than 5 dollars in short time, anyway. The Sims 4 does not retain its value as much as the past games for obvious reasons.

Top YouTube comments:
    IkQ5ili.png

Sorted By Newest:
    lnGzZ58.png[img][/img]

• Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    @Sindocat what a handsome sim :love:
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Faberries wrote: »
    @Sindocat what a handsome sim :love:

Thank you! He looks better as an Elder than he did as an Adult. I think he's enjoying his golden years. :)
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I can understand now why other fandoms and even EA sees simmers as a joke etc. I mean, the foolery is not over. First of all 60$ dollars for an unfinished game (no pools, no basements, no toddlers, no cars, no real teens, no open world, smarter sims that are actually dumber and I could go on and on). Without saying we are still waiting for more half of the basegame things missing. Then EPs that got weaker and weaker with ephemeral gameplay and always more recycled ideas. Then we suddenly started to see GPs targeted as ''EPs'' (Get Famous, Island Living and now this trash thing). Then a MFP stuff pack to complete a half baked EP. And now, simmers are willing to litteraly pay 40$ for garbage. If you think you'll have fun with it, cool, happy for you. But once again, this is a once & never again pack, again! Who still play the Conservationist career from IL? It's litteraly the same, it should have been included in this pack. I am flabbergasted.

By the way, my intention is not to blame simmers. As a long date player I understand how hard it is to resist the urge to buy. But we need to say no.

I like this pack, so I'm gonna buy it.

I don't have a problem saying no though, that's why I still haven't bought vampires after 3 years. I don't want that pack. There's several other themes I think will come out in the future and if I don't want them, it'll be easy to not buy it.

As for the Conservationist career, it's one of my favourites, I have played it sooo many times and each new generation has at least one conservationist, and all my sims live full time on Sulani now. I have all the packs (inSims 4) except vampires and have been playing sims since the first game and Sim City before that... IL is my all time favourite pack, I truly love it and I think I'm gonna love this one too.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited May 2020
    I have a hard time comparing the sims4 to other games and fandoms. Maxis are doing their own thing with that, despite what everyone else is doing. While they are promoting a pack for a 6 year old game that is about eco living, other game developers are preparing to post news about the next generation consoles with new and exciting trailers.

Is it bad? no not necessarily, there is still some new content with every pack and I think it is brave of them in a way to make what they want and the people who like what they are doing seem to enjoy it. I don't think any other game developer would make dlc based on eco living for their game and if you like that? Well you are in luck, because they are just gonna keep making more packs like that.

But the people who don't like it and want Maxis to make other content that are exactly what people are asking for like content that is more similar to the sims3, they will turn away.

Maxis are so different compared to other game developers so I am not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I used to retweet their trailers but I don't to that anymore because there is such a huge difference between their content and what other people are making and what their community is talking about.
  • Options
    simgamesimgame Posts: 538 Member
    I went on a long rant to explain what I think is wrong with the sims 4... feel ya
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    can people not be so defensive dude
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I feel like a lot of people bad-mouthing this next pack will buy it anyway. I mean, it's got a NEW WAY TO DIE! Also there's CAS.

They'll also feel special that they encourage pollution even though senseless torture is a theme throughout The Sims.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    I feel like a lot of people bad-mouthing this next pack will buy it anyway. I mean, it's got a NEW WAY TO DIE! Also there's CAS.

They'll also feel special that they encourage pollution even though senseless torture is a theme throughout The Sims.

Not exactly new...it was in TS2 lol and I could have sworn this was already in TS4 but guess not lol.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I actually think the pack will sell well.
  • Options
    ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    I haven’t bought many of the recent releases (discover university, tiny living, realm of magic) but I’m actually excited for eco lifestyle and can’t wait to buy it. Of course I would have to like a pack that the rest of the simmers hate lol. I understand the criticisms and right now it is looking a bit more like a game pack, but we really don’t have many details on it yet. Though I do think it’s a valid argument that we’ve seen this type of thing before, it’s just never been done that well. I mean, the off the grid feature is a lacklustre mess so I’m super excited to see what much needed additions are finally coming, like producing your own water and electricity! Sign me up lol
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited May 2020
    Why should we say no if we enjoy it and buy it because it is good? Just because some simmers don't like it and even some buy it with reservation and complaints doesn't mean a whole lot of us honestly actually like the content.
    Sims 3 was the iteration I personally sat out on and I know other people enjoyed it but me... nope wasn't my game and I didn't buy it it past the base until years later then I bought a 3 pack for $20 to give it another chance still it was a big nope. I just have a bad gut reaction to it. It wasn't what I expected or wanted to play. By the way I loved 1 and 2 and I bought them and played them as they came out so I absolutely know about the past games. Yet still this one Sims 4 is my favorite of them all.
    There are people complaining all the time and as the internet grows it's in your face more. Why people chose to focus on that day in and day out is... strange. It is a joke in and to some groups because that is what they chose to focus their energies on. I guess different strokes?
    I'm pretty sure EA is making money on this because a lot of people enjoy it. They tend to be a little more silent and speak with their wallet. Personally I think that's where the real anger comes from so people have to try to make it sound bad because they don't enjoy it. I'm glad I didn't do that when Sims 3 was out, what a waste of years that would have been for me.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    I like jokes though...especially dad jokes.

And honestly, I could give two flips less if other "fandoms" see the sims as a joke. I like it, as do many others and whats it to them that I like what I like. Its not hurting anything, certainly not them in any capacity. Im sure there are fandoms out there that I dont agree with or understand but if it makes them happy who cares. I hope they're happy and derive countless hours of enjoyment from it.

Its too bad that you seem to have had a change of heart with the sims. I hope you find something that brings joy like this fandom has and I wish you all the best!
  • Options
    mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Sorry you are, OP. But the fact is, most people playing like it just fine. TS4, right now, is in fact more popular than any game in the series ever has been.

I hate these kind of statements, as they're very hard to impossible to prove, as EA is posting online engagement, or "concurrent players" versus actual copies bought. This is especially important considering that The Sims 4 is included into Origin access (well so is The Sims 3, but we don't get those numbers recorded either), so while in TS2 and start of TS3 times, it was all nice and clear how much copies the games sold, as physical copies were all nice and counted, we literally have no idea with The Sims 4.

It is likely raking in major cash with all the DLC that it has, but I wouldn't say "most popular game", as that's hard to quantify without 1. proper metrics of how many origin users ever had The Sims 4 installed and 2. How many of those paid for The Sims 4.
    Sindocat wrote: »
    And it's not seen as a joke. It gets write-ups in places like The New Yorker and the Atlantic and Cosmopolitan - not teenybopper mags - because it has been around for 20 years, people grew up with it, and it's still around. It is, in fact, a cultural touchstone.

What used to be respectable publications have turned into essentially blogger pages over the years.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    For $59.99 honestly can get a much better experience with Animal Crossing New Horizons:
    https://thenextweb.com/gaming/2020/03/24/we-got-5-game-devs-to-explain-why-animal-crossing-is-so-🐸🐸🐸🐸-good/

But both games are doing well during this quarantine:
    https://media.thinknum.com/articles/the-sims-rises-among-amazons-bestselling-products-as-people-simulate-a-life-outside-of-quarantine/

Stardew Valley is also an amazing game at only $14.99:
    https://www.cbr.com/animal-crossing-vs-stardew-valley/

Farm Together base game is $19.99 and with the bundle of DLC it is $69.86.
    https://www.gameinformer.com/review/farm-together/stress-free-crop-growing-fun

Minecraft is $26.95 for Java and $29.99 or $49.99 for the Windows 10 editions.
    https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/

So there are many gaming options to play during quarantine. Planet Zoo is really popular among Simmers too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top