Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Taking dogs for short/medium/long walk, or jogging, all take a long time.

Is it just me or do even "short" walks take FOREVER to complete? Or going for a jog means lowering my Sims' hygiene so furiously that they stop during their jog and just come home, disgusting lol. Even short walks, my Sims are gone for so long, and the dog ends up getting so hungry they have that warning over their icon to feed them.

Does this happen based on the neighborhood in which you're choosing this action? I'm currently playing in Sulani, inside the Lani St. Taz neighborhood. My household resides on Pier Perfection so obviously they have some bridges and things that get in the way of a clear jogging path.

I'm not sure if it's a bug (I didn't see anything too specific in my search), or if it's based on location, or something else.

Dogs seem to cry if they don't get walked once a day, so I mean... this happens a lot for me :lol: SOMETIMES I choose to go for a walk/jog and then cancel shortly after and my Sim gets a leash moodlet, something about going for a nice jog with the pup, sometimes not. The dog will not have the leash thought bubble and walk around sulking if this does happen.

Anyone else have this problem? Any creative solutions you've come up with?

Comments

• Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    If you leave them to their own it does take all day. What I do when I send my sim out for a walk, I will decide how far they will go, or how long I want them to spend their walk. Then I will cut their walk short, and then have them walk back to their home. Usually, I have my sim spend either an hour or half an hour depending on their schedule. When they get to the point of turning back I always have my sim direct the dog to take a potty break for the dog.
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    LaBlue0314 wrote: »
    If you leave them to their own it does take all day. What I do when I send my sim out for a walk, I will decide how far they will go, or how long I want them to spend their walk. Then I will cut their walk short, and then have them walk back to their home. Usually, I have my sim spend either an hour or half an hour depending on their schedule. When they get to the point of turning back I always have my sim direct the dog to take a potty break for the dog.
    Oh that's a good idea! Do you just cancel the walking option (keeping the dog leashed) and direct them to walk home?
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Yes, that is what I do. Yes, I also keep them on their leash until they return home.
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Yeah, even a "short" walk takes forever. I just cancel in the middle and send them back home
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,397 Member
    It sounds like a bug. I don't believe short walks have always been long. I'd report it to AMQ to be safe.
  • Options
    @LaBlue0314 @icmnfrsh So I took that advice and cancelled the action when they'd gone far enough. So far I've noticed that if I cancel the walk and click on the "Go Home" button over my Sim's icon, nothing happens. But if I go to the house and select "Go Here" instead (or "jog here"), they will go. So that part has to be a bug, and I'll report it for sure! Thanks @catloverplayer
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I think it's been that way for a long time, so I don't know if they'll ever fix it :\
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I think it's been that way for a long time, so I don't know if they'll ever fix it :\
    To be honest... if they fix other more crucial bugs over this forever and ever, that's fine with me. Cancelling and redirecting is a fine workaround so if they don't fix it... meh. As long as they continue to fix more important bugs lol.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,462 Member
    I don't ever remember a time when "short walks" were actually short. I usually just cancel out as well, but this should still be looked at.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    If you don't mind mods, LittleMsSam has a brilliant one for this, and it just adds an option to take dog for "Quick Walk", which is super quick, and the dog stops begging for a walk after that :) Makes dog walking sooo much easier!
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    It does vary by neighborhood. It's ridiculous from the Munch house in Windenberg. My sim can leave the house with all needs full and he'll be wetting himself and starving by the time he comes home, unless I intervene to cut the walk short. The Brindleton Bay walks don't seem to take quite as long, but are still longer than they should be.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    edited November 2019
    Change one of the dog's traits to Independent and you will have the option to Let Out the dog in the pie menu. Doggo will go out and run around the neighborhood for an hour or two then come home. It's cute when you let them out because they howl like a wolf then take off running. Most of the time the Independent trait makes them go outside on their own to go potty. Whenever their hidden social need is low they'll need your Sim to tell them to go potty, though. Any attention is good attention to a Sim doggo, I guess.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    I don't really understand why there are 3 options for walking a dog. I send them off, and when I want them back I just click on the sim's tiny house symbol on his face bottom of screen. Don'r recall if I also need to cancel the walk activity first. They will then walk back home, dog still leashed.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Yeah, for some reason they all take forever. I heard you can select to go on the walk and just cancel it immediately after and it'll still count as going on a walk, but I haven't tried that myself so idk if it actually works.

Honestly, I usually just don't them for walks. There aren't any repercussions for not doing so, so usually I just don't bother.
  • Options
    kusurusukusurusu Posts: 971 Member
    long walks last 6-7 "walk_nodes" and short walks 2-3 nodes only
    My SuperSim Collection: Rosetta Stone · Sona Ali
  • Options
    Great advice and insight from you all, thanks so much!
  • Options
    LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    The thing I have noticed with dog walking is that if your Sim is still out with the dog when it is time for them to go to work, there is a very good chance their job will get bugged with them not able to go at all even after you cancel the dog walk.
  • Options
    CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    In Windenburg it takes forever even on short walks, like some one else said they'll go out with high needs and come back nearly dead, I make good use of littlemssams quick walk thats for sure
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,409 Member
    I hate the walks being so long. It's better in worlds with smaller neighbourhoods, so I focus my doglover sims in those.
  • Options
    Cheekyimp wrote: »
    In Windenburg it takes forever even on short walks, like some one else said they'll go out with high needs and come back nearly dead, I make good use of littlemssams quick walk thats for sure
    This made me laugh out loud :lol: But yeah I may have to try the mod. So far, just cancelling and redirecting them is working but as my household grows I sometimes lose track.
  • Options
    TropicanaCatTropicanaCat Posts: 93 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    It does vary by neighborhood. It's ridiculous from the Munch house in Windenberg. My sim can leave the house with all needs full and he'll be wetting himself and starving by the time he comes home, unless I intervene to cut the walk short. The Brindleton Bay walks don't seem to take quite as long, but are still longer than they should be.

I've been playing in Sulani and it still seems to take forever. I tried the "Medium" length and notice they were gone for a very long time, next time I picked "short".. They were still gone most of the day. I've been just canceling the walks and bringing them back home when I feel they've walked long enough, but would be nice to not have to bother with monitoring their walks. I think I will download that quick walk mod.

• Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    As far as I can remember walking the dog always takes forever and it doesn't matter which option you choose. Definitely bugged as far as I can tell and it has been for a while now.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    I got Cats and Dogs about when it was released and they were too long. So long that my sims arrive exhausted and the dog is uncomfortable as well.....And if that’s just the short walk, I don’t even want to think about the long one!!
    It sounds like a bug. I don't believe short walks have always been long. I'd report it to AMQ to be safe.

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The short walk most definitely takes too long.
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I'm gonna video it and see how long it takes lol