Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    > @Simpatsyann said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Hm, could be? The term is *supposed* to start on the first weekday after you enroll, or at least that's how I understand it, but you can enroll any day. I enrolled at around 1am on Sunday so I could have the whole day to plum around before classes. Then, for some reason, the term didn't start until Tuesday anyway (even though my sim had a MWF class) but that's a separate issue.

I did not accept the same day I got the letter either, so that might have been a factor for me too.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Also has anyone been experiencing lag? Because even Pixelade with his high end computer has been experiencing lag with the pack and I had to turn my settings unusually low just to play and I shouldn’t have to.

Not really no. In fact, my game runs surprisingly smooth since the update / DU.

@LDraconis @Simpatsyann you always get accepted +- 2 days after enrolling, regardless what day you enroll :)
  • Options
    MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    Also has anyone been experiencing lag? Because even Pixelade with his high end computer has been experiencing lag with the pack and I had to turn my settings unusually low just to play and I shouldn’t have to.

Yes, mainly on dorm lots and I have a gaming PC. Loading times also seem to take longer
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

@LDraconis @Simpatsyann you always get accepted +- 2 days after enrolling, regardless what day you enroll :)

My sim applied on Thursday and got the acceptance on Saturday morning, but I actually enrolled her and sent her off early Sunday. But even so the term didn't start until Tuesday. It sounds like @LDraconis had the opposite happen - their term started right away with no intervening time at all (but please correctly if I misread that).
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited November 2019

My sim applied on Thursday and got the acceptance on Saturday morning, but I actually enrolled her and sent her off early Sunday. But even so the term didn't start until Tuesday. It sounds like @LDraconis had the opposite happen - their term started right away with no intervening time at all (but please correctly if I misread that).

Yes that seems correct - you get accepted about 2 days after enrolling. If you enroll immediately after getting accepted and it's a weekday, your classes will start the day after I think. But there are no classes on the weekend so if you start on a Saturday you won't have any until - and might not have any on - Monday either, so that means you start on Tuesday :)
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    What's the point of sport games they're not even fun ?
    I'm paying for all my sims' needs to go down while I can do nothing about it. Awesome.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member

Yes that seems correct - you get accepted about 2 days after enrolling. If you enroll immediately after getting accepted and it's a weekday, your classes will start the day after I think. But there are no classes on the weekend so if you start on a Saturday you won't have any until - and might not have any on - Monday either, so that means you start on Tuesday :)

Hmm. Maybe I'll have the next one enroll on a Friday then. :p
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    The restrictions in this game really does not go well with this EP. The universities, especially Foxbury look completely deserted. The game can't render more than 20 sims, whats the point of making this huge university?

I really think Maxis should have made made Foxbury smaller and that they should have added more lots with reasons for you to visit, imagine if your classes was either rabbit holes, or activities located on lots where the organizations were hanging out so you could meet them and make your own stories, you know, like in the trailer?

• Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,970 Member
    logion wrote: »
    The restrictions in this game really does not go well with this EP. The universities, especially Foxbury look completely deserted. The game can't render more than 20 sims, whats the point of making this huge university?

I really think Maxis should have made made Foxbury smaller and that they should have added more lots with reasons for you to visit, imagine if your classes was either rabbit holes, or activities located on lots where the organizations were hanging out so you could meet them and make your own stories, you know, like in the trailer?

Have to check that out and it is has been normal for Sims 4 packs to be restricted in some shape, form, other.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    > @SimTrippy said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Not really no. In fact, my game runs surprisingly smooth since the update / DU.
    >
    > @LDraconis @Simpatsyann you always get accepted +- 2 days after enrolling, regardless what day you enroll :)

You apply, then you get acceptance, then you enrol.
  • Options
    georgia_1992georgia_1992 Posts: 4 New Member
    1. The scholarships and main application take too long to be decided on! I don't have the equivalent of 2 years to wait and my Sims only had the same 3 eligible ones.
    2. I couldn't send 2 sims from the same family as the same household!
  • Options
    KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited November 2019
    So, I bought the pack, but aside from reading the school descriptions, I've yet to play it.

First off, I hate gray, so as far as I'm concerned, most of the pre-made sims in this pack are hideous.

That includes Angela and Lilith, who are some of my favorites from Sims 2. They look... bad. Ironically, in Sims 2, I did a story where they settle their differences and fix their relationship during university.

From everything I have read about the pack before release, the only thing that really entices me would be... bikes. And that's not worth the inevitable loading screens.
    Post edited by KayeStar on
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    The dorm spawned A LOT of violinists.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    This isn’t directly a University complaint but I need help from someone, I am going insane.

I bought this pack when it came out, made a new sim, moved her into tidal tower (?) and then had her do a psychology degree... I legit just made her go to class, homework, study, write paper, prepare presentation ... and that was it. On the odd occasion, I would have her do something on a Saturday night but even that just felt dull and boring. Three terms later and she graduates with A+, has now gone straight to level 8 of the professor career... and now what?

I probably could have made her more social and focused less on the grades but then what’s the point in going to uni if you’re not there to get the work done? And I felt like there still wasn’t enough time to do all the work. Also side note, she would walk all the way from her dorm to the class building, then get on her bike and cycle for 2 seconds and get off again, I think this is a bug?

ANYWAY!!! Every time a new pack comes out I always think omg this is going to be great for gameplay, but then I get it and I feel like I’ve used the pack and that’s it now, no use for it any more.

Can someone pleeeeaaaaassseee give me ideas on how to make my game more interesting or exciting? Please don’t tell me I’ve outgrown The Sims or I will be heartbroken :heartbreak:
  • Options
    ponyfhtagnponyfhtagn Posts: 17 Member
    To anyone struggling with the issue of sprites still bothering your sim after you've left the secret society:

First activate testingcheats.
    Then use this cheat:

traits.remove_trait trait_CollegeOrganization_SecretSociety_Member

Complete life saver. My gods they need to patch this issue quick.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    This isn’t directly a University complaint but I need help from someone, I am going insane.

I bought this pack when it came out, made a new sim, moved her into tidal tower (?) and then had her do a psychology degree... I legit just made her go to class, homework, study, write paper, prepare presentation ... and that was it. On the odd occasion, I would have her do something on a Saturday night but even that just felt dull and boring. Three terms later and she graduates with A+, has now gone straight to level 8 of the professor career... and now what?

I probably could have made her more social and focused less on the grades but then what’s the point in going to uni if you’re not there to get the work done? And I felt like there still wasn’t enough time to do all the work. Also side note, she would walk all the way from her dorm to the class building, then get on her bike and cycle for 2 seconds and get off again, I think this is a bug?

ANYWAY!!! Every time a new pack comes out I always think omg this is going to be great for gameplay, but then I get it and I feel like I’ve used the pack and that’s it now, no use for it any more.

Can someone pleeeeaaaaassseee give me ideas on how to make my game more interesting or exciting? Please don’t tell me I’ve outgrown The Sims or I will be heartbroken :heartbreak:

Sorry but I can't help you on that. I, myself, have a very very hard time to go back to business as usual since my sim graduated :(
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Holiday wrote: »

I don't personally have Discover University, but this has worked for me in the past (Island Living for example, not sure how, but it worked).

Just try something different. Stray away from your normal gameplay and try something new. Like, if you're a strict realism player, why not give occults a try? I'm sure a Spellcaster, or Vampire a try? If you don't have the packs, aliens/mermaids are good too. And if you're willing to get to this point, a servo!

Or, if you normally make one kind of sim, use the randomize traits button and see where that takes you! If you normally create smart, studious sims, randomize the traits until you get something you would never do. Or use the Story Mode in CAS, and only choose one row of answers (excluding age), such as only middle answers, or only top answers, and see what you get! It's quite fun.

Try a challenge that seems difficult! Do a Legacy Challenge, or an Asylum Challenge on hard mode. There are so many challenges to try (for a list of challenges, go to the "Challenges, Stories, and Legacies" section of the forum).

I hope this helps. It really spices up gameplay and makes the game a lot more fun, at least for me. I'm sure at least two of these options would work for Discover University.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    12) The game can schedule back to back courses and in such a case allows no time to get between classes.

By the way, what is the point of a 'one and only' consolidated complaint threat if most do not seem to honour the 'one and only' aspect? :)
  • Options
    MaedMaed Posts: 33 Member
    I wish the University Student Hang Out lot trait wasn't barred from being applied to restaurants.
  • Options
    UnknownGamerUnknownGamer Posts: 77 Member
    I like this expansion but there are a few issues I have with it.

Roommates never seem to bathe and they eat spoiled food! Also they bring way too many plates of food into the dorm. Maybe tone that down a little?

I like Servos but I am a bit disappointed with the lack of customisation for them. Look at Sims 3 plumbots for example, so many customisation options for them. On a similar note the robot workstation shocks you way too much. It makes creating Servo and other things a hassle.

Most of the lots are rather empty, although I suppose that’s to be expected as they cater to those with potato PC’s.

Also why can’t sims that already exist be potential roommates or go to uni? Instead I have to cope with sims with funky clothes and names. Would have made nice story progression potential. I populate my towns with homeless and housed sims yet they never appear as roommates or go uni.

No new traits? Bunk beds, Murphy beds, pool tables? So much missed stuff they could have included in this pack.

The campus is rather desolate as well. I thought it would be thriving with students and events. Even the events that pop up are almost empty. Again, catering to those with potato PC’s.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I like this expansion but there are a few issues I have with it.

Roommates never seem to bathe and they eat spoiled food! Also they bring way too many plates of food into the dorm. Maybe tone that down a little?

I like Servos but I am a bit disappointed with the lack of customisation for them. Look at Sims 3 plumbots for example, so many customisation options for them. On a similar note the robot workstation shocks you way too much. It makes creating Servo and other things a hassle.

Most of the lots are rather empty, although I suppose that’s to be expected as they cater to those with potato PC’s.

Also why can’t sims that already exist be potential roommates or go to uni? Instead I have to cope with sims with funky clothes and names. Would have made nice story progression potential. I populate my towns with homeless and housed sims yet they never appear as roommates or go uni.

No new traits? Bunk beds, Murphy beds, pool tables? So much missed stuff they could have included in this pack.

The campus is rather desolate as well. I thought it would be thriving with students and events. Even the events that pop up are almost empty. Again, catering to those with potato PC’s.

Careful there... when you ask them to tone it down, they nerf it to nothing. ;) (You just have to look at vampires, aliens to see some examples of this.) I do expect with all the complaints about this though, instead of finding the middle ground (there's no middle ground with TS4) they will just turn it off and no one will ever bring any food again.

Oh and the robot workstation shocks will probably be turned down to nothing. That's not near as bad as starving sims though...
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Careful there... when you ask them to tone it down, they nerf it to nothing. ;) (You just have to look at vampires, aliens to see some examples of this.) I do expect with all the complaints about this though, instead of finding the middle ground (there's no middle ground with TS4) they will just turn it off and no one will ever bring any food again.
    >
    > Oh and the robot workstation shocks will probably be turned down to nothing. That's not near as bad as starving sims though...

What was toned down regarding Vampires? I still have issues with at least one and often more than one coming to the door, or if I have forgotten to lock to the door, in the door and converting someone.
  • Options
    LDraconis wrote: »
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Careful there... when you ask them to tone it down, they nerf it to nothing. ;) (You just have to look at vampires, aliens to see some examples of this.) I do expect with all the complaints about this though, instead of finding the middle ground (there's no middle ground with TS4) they will just turn it off and no one will ever bring any food again.
    >
    > Oh and the robot workstation shocks will probably be turned down to nothing. That's not near as bad as starving sims though...

What was toned down regarding Vampires? I still have issues with at least one and often more than one coming to the door, or if I have forgotten to lock to the door, in the door and converting someone.

Really? Lucky you! (unless you don't want them of course). My sims NEVER get visits. Vlad texts my sim on a fresh save, sometimes he even shows up but he won't come in unless invited and after that, unless I go out looking for them or to their houses directly, I never see a vampire again. :/

Never have they broke in. Oh! Once, a townie one did break in while my sim was living in an apartment and she took out my trash and left. :D I've never seen a vampire choose to feed or break in on their own. I've done it while playing them, but they just never seem to do these things when left alone in any of my saves. Definitely they've never turned anyone on their own but I don't think that they were ever supposed to do that, which is fine with me. I wouldn't mind a few more break ins to feed though. Give me a reason to make the garlic garlands, right now they're pointless if a vampire isn't even going to come over.
  • Options
    DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited November 2019
    Camkat wrote: »
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >

Really? Lucky you! (unless you don't want them of course). My sims NEVER get visits. Vlad texts my sim on a fresh save, sometimes he even shows up but he won't come in unless invited and after that, unless I go out looking for them or to their houses directly, I never see a vampire again. :/

Never have they broke in. Oh! Once, a townie one did break in while my sim was living in an apartment and she took out my trash and left. :D I've never seen a vampire choose to feed or break in on their own. I've done it while playing them, but they just never seem to do these things when left alone in any of my saves. Definitely they've never turned anyone on their own but I don't think that they were ever supposed to do that, which is fine with me. I wouldn't mind a few more break ins to feed though. Give me a reason to make the garlic garlands, right now they're pointless if a vampire isn't even going to come over.

When did that change, cause before last patch, I had all of that break-in stuff, also Lilith and Caleb knocking at the door past 10PM.

Ah yes it's a thread about complaints of DU... ehmmmm
    Make Foxbury flat, devs!
  • Options
    Dijktafone wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    > @Camkat said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    >

When did that change, cause before last patch, I had all of that break-in stuff, also Lilith and Caleb knocking at the door past 10PM.

Ah yes it's a thread about complaints of DU... ehmmmm
    Make Foxbury flat, devs!

It's always been this way for me? I've only had vampires since last May though. (I took awhile to buy extra packs). When it didn't play as expected I went looking around and found they had been nerfed (and I'm definitely not the only one experiencing this), but you two now are making me think there's an issue in my game. *hmmm* Or I'm extremely unlucky?

I was also a little surprised to see so many stairs in Foxbury. Have some new bikes! Oh but you can only use them efficiently in half of the new world! Ha! *facepalm*