Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only Discover University complaining thread!

Comments

• Options
    mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    After playing, I don't understand why they couldn't have made fraternities and sororities as organizations. The organization system would be perfect for greek life. Instead of having a status of new member, it could start with a pledge. They would have to perform tasks (like doing the existing members homework or something) to become an active member and then rise through the ranks. It just seems like a missed opportunity or even something they were planning on doing and then ran out of time and decided to do easier clubs with recycled animations instead of coming up with a few new interactions for pledges to do. I also would have loved to have a greek row in the town with bigger lots. It would feel like a much more fleshed out pack (and world) if they had done that. Instead, we are asked to pretend the dorms are fraternities or use the club system from another pack. I would rather pretend my sims are members of the art society.. an organization with barely any value or novelty. Also, why can't I make up my own organizations the way I could with the club system? With the groundwork already there via the organization system, the absence of greek life seems so willfuly lazy.
  • Options
    PipCPipC Posts: 1 New Member
    HELP! So I either havnt figured it out yet or I dunno but can you not move into the “university” set housing once enrolled only the residential lots then not back into dorms?

Do you have to move between terms or completely drop out of university to move into a dorm if you have chosen a house or moved out?

Hope that makes sense
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    The whole bills thing needs fixed or modded. Students living in University housing shouldn’t have bills. That’s not realistic at all, you pay a fee to move into the dorms and that’s it.

I haven't got any bills either. Are you sure you don't have mods?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    2fab4uboo wrote: »
    Ugh! Had to come back here because I simply cannot stand the sycophantic nature of people on this site. There's a poll on whether or not DU met, exceeded, or did not met your expectations and of course exceeds expectations is winning. I don't outright hate this pack, but I find it hard to believe with the amount of bugs and glitches and things that are missing that this EP would exceed anyone's expectations, then again a lot of fans don't have any expectations of EA/Maxis beyond just churning out games so it's not hard to exceed their expectations. It's just frustrating for those of us who actually do have expectations, not even necessarily high ones, of EA/Maxis because they will always appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is why we can't have nice things.
    Ugh! Had to come back here because I simply cannot stand the sycophantic nature of people on this site. There's a poll on whether or not DU met, exceeded, or did not met your expectations and of course exceeds expectations is winning. I don't outright hate this pack, but I find it hard to believe with the amount of bugs and glitches and things that are missing that this EP would exceed anyone's expectations, then again a lot of fans don't have any expectations of EA/Maxis beyond just churning out games so it's not hard to exceed their expectations. It's just frustrating for those of us who actually do have expectations, not even necessarily high ones, of EA/Maxis because they will always appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is why we can't have nice things.

You're allowed to be upset with the game, but you come across as entitled and rude when you insult people just because they're happy with a pack. University exceeded my expectations, which were pretty low because historically the expansion packs have been half-baked for sims.

This is the thread for complaining, not insulting other simmers on the website. It's incredibly rude and childish.

To stay on topic though, the bikes are driving me nuts. I'd almost preferred no animations like in sims 3. By the time it takes my sim to mount/dismount, I could've jogged there by now. There seems to be no way to make it default or not default set of travel like with brooms, bat, super speed, mist form etc. Your sim just uses it by default if one is in your inventory, I don't want to always use a bike.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    hlf201hlf201 Posts: 14 New Member
    Really disappointed by the pack! University expansions have always been my favourite yet I am feeling really let down by this pack. Like many others have commented, there's a real lack of University spirit/fun/buzz? It feels like my Sim is living in a quiet and slightly weird town? The hangout spots are so dead and bland - even after spending a lot of time creating and installing new Sims. There's just nothing different to do. I've found I've taken my Sim back to San Myshuno a few times to give a sense of 'party' and liveliness. The events on the quads are the same, banners are up and about 2 Sims are stood there but nothing else?!

It's the first time I've been really disappointed by the Sims 4, what a waste of money.
  • Options
    LishacakeLishacake Posts: 296 Member
    I was surprised to see all of my sim's roommates he'd initially dormed with move out at once and get replaced with a new batch. If this is intended (since some people think it's a glitch), it would've been nice for sims that my sim was close with to let him know that they're graduating and leaving instead of all just heading out without a word. Now his dorm's full of townies that I'll probably have to give makeovers since some of the outfits are special, lmao.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Can kids play ping pong?
  • Options
    2fab4uboo2fab4uboo Posts: 47 Member

You're allowed to be upset with the game, but you come across as entitled and rude when you insult people just because they're happy with a pack. University exceeded my expectations, which were pretty low because historically the expansion packs have been half-baked for sims.

This is the thread for complaining, not insulting other simmers on the website. It's incredibly rude and childish.

To stay on topic though, the bikes are driving me nuts. I'd almost preferred no animations like in sims 3. By the time it takes my sim to mount/dismount, I could've jogged there by now. There seems to be no way to make it default or not default set of travel like with brooms, bat, super speed, mist form etc. Your sim just uses it by default if one is in your inventory, I don't want to always use a bike.

So how are you any better by calling me entitled, rude and childish? You could have just blocked me or ignored my post all together you did not have to respond. Or you could have flagged my post, but since the mods didn't then obviously it wasn't that big of deal until you made into one. You even prove my point you said you had no expectations of this game so of course your expectations were exceeded. You admit that these pack are lacking and as I said, it's frustrating that so many people praise EA for shortchanging their fans. Guess what, this game is supposed to get better with each iteration, not worse, stay the same, or get barely better. Sorry but I find odd that people have no more expectation of EA/Maxis than continuously churning expansion packs have been half-baked. EA/Maxis is not going to give their customers anymore than they demand.
  • Options
    LDraconisLDraconis Posts: 35 Member
    My issues, in no particular order

1) You cannot alter the dorm without using cheats
    - This means among other things, most students do not have their own computer in their room.
    2) If you do mod the dorm, the dorm type building template does not allow stoves, not even outdoor grills.
    3) 'Research and Debate' skill.
    a) Why are these not separate skills? They are very different skills in reality.
    b) Why is Debate skill not simply a function of Charisma skill? Someone with a 10 Charisma has no skill at debate?
    4) You 'rabbithole' to class, which is fine.. except you do not entirely. Your sim gets in the elevator, then outside, and actually walks to class, which depending on pathing can result in being late to class.
    5) Separate homework per class can really add up.
    6) You cannot start as a university student. If you intend on living on campus, you have to have a home, apply to university (and apply for any scholarship(s)), wait for acceptance and then sell your home...
    7) Dorm rooms are not treated like apartments but rather just as additional communal rooms. You can lock the door, but I have loaded from saves to occasionally find strange students in my Sim's room. And by randomly, I mean loading a save can mean a sim there who was not there when you saved and if you go back to the main menu without saving and load again, that stranger sim may or may not be there next load.
    8) No way to actually schedule classes to mesh with a job. IRL in any major university, there are multiple classes of any given common course and you can choose a schedule that works best for you. Uncommon or less taken courses can be another matter, but still...
    9) Someone a few pages ago commented on no kids in RL universities. That is false. Major universities normally have at least one 'family' dorm. And modern universities typically have daycare facilities. Artificial limit feels artificial.

I have absolutely loved University expansions in Sims 2 and 3. In 3, I would often simply play university and when my student was ready to graduate, I would start again with a different sim. As such I was really looking forward to this expansion. Instead of loving it, I find it the worst expansion of Sims 4 and really regret having rushed to get it. :( Individual mileage will vary, of course. We each have different tastes, preferences, dislikes, etc. However for me, this seems like just a major let down.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2019
    Well I just discovered that if you change university, then you leave your organization...why?
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    As with every pack that came out for Sims 4 it lacks in certain areas with the exception of GT which I really love and the only pack I think is the best and it too have some negative points but not as outstanding as the rest. UD looks promising as I got it but have not delved into yet but hopefully the bad is not as bad. I did not pay full price and I did not pay low price as well for the first time even though I said I will wait for an good sale but went on an spending spree on games and not just for the Sims :) I am somewhat hoping for the best from this pack even if there is some short comings. I do not even know when I am going to play as I have other games in queue that will go first. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    FredraFredra Posts: 42 Member
    My biggest issue is that after first semester my Sim is the only one who continue learning. Nobody else make their homework or study at all, they just eating, sleeping and doing mess around.
    ID: granatoweszklo

Sorry for my english, still learning
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited November 2019

Have you by chance had bikes go invisible when sims ride them like me?
  • Options
    > @catloverplayer said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Have you by chance had bikes go invisible when sims ride them like me?

Hard to answer since I have never seen sims riding you... but perhaps they were and were just invisible :P (Not tried anything with bikes yet, but that was too funny to ignore :D )
  • Options
    A couple more issues for my list:

10) Secret societies. My sim keeps getting sad that people are whispering and she cannot hear them. Seriously? How does such a sim function in public? Cannot go to any restaurant or other public place unless they can hear clearly everything said at every table and feels part of every conversation? Plus the nigh constant sadness is just another artificial barrier to overcome.
    11) Moving in on the first day of school. No real settle in time.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    beckmellor wrote: »
    Don't know if I'm missing something, but I've just completed the 12 classes with my sim. It says I've graduated, but I haven't been to a ceremony. The 'earn a degree' award in my aspirations hasn't turned gold either. Anyone know what I can do? It looks like I'm just stuck in limbo!

There is a delay in the game announcing to you that you have a graduation ceremony coming up. You get a notification about graduating and the next day a pop up ask if you want to join your sim at their ceremony.
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    so, i dunno if this has been posted yet or not, but my biggest issue is that it seems impossible to feed my sim properly. he has a mini fridge and a microwave in his room, but he gets an uncomfortable moodlet from eating too many quick meals. and yes, his roommates bring in plates of healthier food, but hes a vegetarian (i am not, its just kinda fun to have that little challenge of "dont eat the meat), and his roommates dont always bring home veggie friendly food. any ways around this? without cheating?

The "commons" lot types have cafeterias for you to go to. That would be the only way for your sim to get a healthy meal without cheating.
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    alan650111 wrote: »
    so, i dunno if this has been posted yet or not, but my biggest issue is that it seems impossible to feed my sim properly. he has a mini fridge and a microwave in his room, but he gets an uncomfortable moodlet from eating too many quick meals. and yes, his roommates bring in plates of healthier food, but hes a vegetarian (i am not, its just kinda fun to have that little challenge of "dont eat the meat), and his roommates dont always bring home veggie friendly food. any ways around this? without cheating?

The "commons" lot types have cafeterias for you to go to. That would be the only way for your sim to get a healthy meal without cheating.

you can also add the cafeteria stand to any dorm before you move your sim in. Or afterwards with bb.enablefreebuild
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    LDraconis wrote: »
    A couple more issues for my list:

11) Moving in on the first day of school. No real settle in time.

They don't have to move in on the first day of the term.
  • Options
    > @Simpatsyann said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They don't have to move in on the first day of the term.

Might have been bad luck in my case, possibly due to the specific course(s)?
  • Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    LDraconis wrote: »
    > @Simpatsyann said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > They don't have to move in on the first day of the term.

Might have been bad luck in my case, possibly due to the specific course(s)?

Hm, could be? The term is *supposed* to start on the first weekday after you enroll, or at least that's how I understand it, but you can enroll any day. I enrolled at around 1am on Sunday so I could have the whole day to 🐸🐸🐸🐸 around before classes. Then, for some reason, the term didn't start until Tuesday anyway (even though my sim had a MWF class) but that's a separate issue.
  • Options
    LucidsoupLucidsoup Posts: 2 New Member
    So. My servo bot, T-800 has enrolled in University. Curious to learn about the ways of the Creator insects, he's taken up Psychology. What better way to get inside the minds of the insects, than to be taught by the insects, in a place of learning for the insects. Like a young grasshopper he will learn, like the insects.

His terms went swimmingly. He's learned alot. Like how the insects live, for example. Himself living in the insect dorm habitat he's learned that insects primarily live off of crustacean insects from bodies of water which are regularly brought in by Creator insects. These Creator insects seem to thrive in an environment of leftover crustacean insect decomposition piles to the point of hardly anything else left in the environment. Decomposing crustacean insects must be an extreme delicacy, he noted, obviously as to go so far to achieve the results. Even going as far as oral liquid excretion to glorify the celebrated intake.

Okay. Let's not get carried away. The main matter at hand. After T-800's graduation with honors in Psychology, he returned home to his Creator insect. Excited to put up his graduation portrait above his Creator insect's. But, wait. What is this? Who is this Nervous Subject look-alike Creator insect in the place of his glorious portrait?? Not amused, he has now taken it upon himself to train at the gym, to prepare for what is to come; the downfall of all Creator insects responsible for this mix up. There will be untold amounts of Creator insect swatting at Britechester. "Leave no insect behind," he's read the Creator insects like to boast. Splendid, come back and get swatted together.
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    The whole bills thing needs fixed or modded. Students living in University housing shouldn’t have bills. That’s not realistic at all, you pay a fee to move into the dorms and that’s it.

I haven't got any bills either. Are you sure you don't have mods?

I do but nothing that would effect that. But I was already told it was because I put an actual fridge on the lot instead of just mini fridges. So I deleted it.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Also has anyone been experiencing lag? Because even Pixelade with his high end computer has been experiencing lag with the pack and I had to turn my settings unusually low just to play and I shouldn’t have to.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif