Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you play The Sims 4?

I've always been curious how others play TS4, or just the Sims in general I guess. Usually I get so attached to one character that I stick with that one their whole life (and on occasion use a cheat) or with just one family. Do you play with more than one family? How do you decide when it's time to move on to another household?

Thanks, from one curious simmer to another!

Comments

• Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited November 2019
    I have a lot of saves (about 40-50) and I play them rotationally. I have also few saves to play rotationally in them.
    I normally play a save or a household as long as I feel like it, it varies. Sometimes I just don't feel like playing certain saves and I play just maybe one day (in game) and move on.

I'm more attached to some of my Sims and I play those saves much longer. Sadly two of my favorite saves have become very buggy and my Sims start to freeze after a short time of game play. When they freeze permanently I have to move on to another save even if I'd like to play more. Those saves are my oldest, from 2015, repairing the game doesn't help with the problem. Whenever I come back to these saves after playing other ones the Sims are playable again, maybe an hour (or less) until they start freezing again.

• Options
    MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Ooh, I love discussions like these *flexes fingers*
    I've been playing a BACC game lately, which means I'm rotating through each household. I stay with a household for a week before moving on to the next. I'm creating all the sims myself, so I can get equally attached to each of them so rotating each sim-week seems like easy.
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • Options
    eilemaeilema Posts: 7 New Member
    i tend to get bored easily of normal household families so i do a lot of challenges mostly
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    Ooh, I love discussions like these *flexes fingers*
    I've been playing a BACC game lately, which means I'm rotating through each household. I stay with a household for a week before moving on to the next. I'm creating all the sims myself, so I can get equally attached to each of them so rotating each sim-week seems like easy.

What is BACC?

I also play in rotation. One household a week. I get bored playing only one sim and or household. Each household has something different to offer.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I am happy to say I can finally play the game normally now since we are finally getting University.
    Until now I was a sampler. I would just sample packs as the came out to try out the new features. After a couple of weeks of playing I would put TS4 aside and I would play other games until the next pack came out.

I have a great group of sims that have been young adults since the base game.
    I wanted them to experience a near finished game before playing them and their generations of family to follow.
    I needed toddlers, Parenthood, Seasons, and University.

I have 14 households that I will be playing in rotation.
    All my young adults have been aged down toddlers, give parents and played until they are children now. Two of them are now teens.
    I will be prepping them for University once I get some real details about the pack.

EA seems to be coy with the details.
    I guess they will let the Game Changers give us more useful information.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    @BlkBarbiegal A BACC is a Build-A-City-Challenge. You start out with all blank maps, a handful of Founders and you're using skills to unlock careers, community lots and the like. It's good fun and nice mixture of sim creating, building and playing. These are the rules I've been using.

@CK213 I think someone just put a load of information in the Maxis sourced thread, if you haven't seen that already. Love your ideas though, I'm glad you'll finally be able to play those sims you've been saving! <3
  • Options
    BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    MissyHissy wrote: »
    @BlkBarbiegal A BACC is a Build-A-City-Challenge. You start out with all blank maps, a handful of Founders and you're using skills to unlock careers, community lots and the like. It's good fun and nice mixture of sim creating, building and playing. These are the rules I've been using.

Interesting! ty :)

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    I do rotational/story driven play. I make a sim or group of sims and I try to also make their family and even close friends. I rotate between the households progressing them all to a certain point. Sometimes I'll just cheat them a certain story like their job level, income, or that they own a certain business in town. One time I forgot to play a certain family and so I had to cheat their children. I don't usually like to start with blank adults or elders but I want my sim to have parents or grandparents.
  • Options
    MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    edited November 2019
    I sometimes play rotationally on PS4 edition but normally on PS4/PC I play reincarnation style in first person, rather fun I say. If ye do not know what the reincarnation challenge is; just check my link, I explained it there.

I'm currently doing one on sims 3 atm with full ai control on, gota love master control/NRAAS story progression, it gave me the options to give the active household sims 100% ai control without me having to control them, rather entertaining I must say. :D

Edit: yes they story progress without me controlling them, I just lock onto one of them and eat pop corn as I watch drama unfold. :D
    Post edited by MoonCrossWarrior22 on
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I play generational in the sims 3. I love big families with lots of kids and grand kids. I've just recently started playing rotational with aging off until I get back to the main house. I couldn't choose which child I wanted to play with after my founder passed so now I play them all. :)
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    breanna206breanna206 Posts: 53 Member
    @MissyHissy thanks for the explanation of BACC!! I've really only ever heard of the legacy and 100 baby challenge, but never actually done them. Maybe it's time for a new save? *raises eyebrows*
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I play with multiple households. Started by a founder and playing with their extended families in a rotation (I play with normal lifespan with 14 day season). I also build their houses from scratch. If I'm bored, I started renovates the community/retail lots too. I hardly participate in challenges except for building challenges because I prefer to play my Sims families as how I want it to be played. So far, I only have 2 active saved files. 1 is my Sim families and another 1 is for building stuffs only. Probably next time, I'll start playing with the pre-made families too.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    FaberriesFaberries Posts: 1,354 Member
    I mainly play my legacy save which I’ve had for over 4 years now. Back then i used to play on the long lifespan, so i aged them up when i felt like it was time. I like to plan out what I’m going to do in the next generation in advance, and pick the sim i feel like would fit best as the heir. As of now, i play in normal lifespan, but with changes from MCCC. I age them up when the bar is full, but if i feel like they’re aging up too fast, i turn it off for a bit
    I do wanna play with my spare sims, or at least give them a family or something, but i don’t have the time for it. So i just see them around, until someone dies and i get sad

At times i do enjoy trying out challenges, though i never finish them. I just started on my second try of the 100 baby challenge, and i already regret it :#
    Star Wind Flower Sun
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited November 2019
    Once you figure out the right way (for you) to play rotationally there is no way back. I guarantee you that :)

My playstyle:
    First I start with a single sim. I find her a spouse. They have kid(s) and when they are old enough I move them out. And I switch the households every Monday 6am.
    Let's say my sim had 2 kids. They both moved out. That means three households in total.

week number one:
    matriarch
    ageing for active household and for townies

week number two:
    kid that moved out as first
    ageing for active household only

week number three:
    a kid that moved out as second

And I regulary switch the household in this order every Monday at 6am.
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I play rotational. have playing that was since The Sims. But obviously it got more entertaining with aging added with Sims 2.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    alyssa123alyssa123 Posts: 323 Member
    edited November 2019
    i never have more than 3 saves at a time. anymore than 3 and it feels cluttered to me. i have one save reserved for building, so that leaves me with two free spaces for live mode play

at the moment i only have one live mode save. it's a generational save, which i almost always have at least one of. generational/family/legacy (whatever you want to call it) play is one of my favourite ways to play

i get bored of my saves very easily so when i feel myself getting bored, i play a few more times and if i can't fix it, i delete it

i also really enjoy making single young adult sims and roommates

i've tried playing rotationally but i can't get the hang of it :/ i either forget to or procrastinate switching between households because i get too focused on the one i'm playing. i'm gonna keep trying though
    when gravity falls and the earth becomes sky, fear the beast with just one eye
  • Options
    _Sandra__Sandra_ Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2019
    In The Sims 3 I used to play rotationally a lot because there were so many fun things to do and different stories to tell! For some reason I loved playing with different families but I can't say the same about TS4.

In The Sims 4 I can't imagine myself playing with a different family each week. The only type of gameplay I can enjoy is creating a family and playing with it for as many generations as I can. Ever since TS4 came out and if we exclude saves that I made for testing I haven't had more than maybe 5 save files in total.
  • Options
    Billie_meBillie_me Posts: 1 New Member
    I like to reflect a real-life world where everything is the way i want it to be. I don't like to joke around and make my sims die for no reason. I don't play by the game either. I just FreeRealEstate and motherlode it. I don't have a hypothetical story and just roll with what my mind is feeling. So I just play it with a lot of households. And of course alpha cc.
  • Options
    @breanna206 If you enjoy rotational play, then I think you'll enjoy the BACC style of gameplay. Since I've started it in Sims 4, I don't want to play another way <3
  • Options
    _Sandra__Sandra_ Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2019
    Once you figure out the right way (for you) to play rotationally there is no way back. I guarantee you that :)

My playstyle:
    First I start with a single sim. I find her a spouse. They have kid(s) and when they are old enough I move them out. And I switch the households every Monday 6am.
    Let's say my sim had 2 kids. They both moved out. That means three households in total.

week number one:
    matriarch
    ageing for active household and for townies

week number two:
    kid that moved out as first

week number three:
    a kid that moved out as second

And I regulary switch the household in this order every Monday at 6am.

Wow the way you do it so so unique and specific and weird that it's actually funny :D<3
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I mostly play with the premade families on rotation, family play. I play each family for one sim year with my seasons set to 14 days.
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    I have about a dozen saves that I rotate through. I like to play generationally so I stick to the same family in each save and play the various heirs. Most of the saves is me noodling about, but I also enjoy generational challenges - have four different ones on the go :mrgreen:
  • Options
    secretlondon123secretlondon123 Posts: 181 Member
    I do single play with a sim who is maxing everything. I also build community lots and see how they interact with it.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    I create a family, play with them like crazy until they get rich/married, then I get tired of them, delete the save and start the process with a new sim.

I don't know why, but I just can't deal with sims that are established in their lives lol.

I'm gonna try and change that. I always envy those people who have a 7 generation family. Its my dream xD.

I'm thinking of starting somewhat of a legacy challenge when DU comes out. Hopefully I'll make it.
  • Options
    DenimChloeDenimChloe Posts: 58 Member
    I play a single sim who has maxed out everything. I also have aging off for everyone. There is a little story progression, but no marrying or pregnancy or death... I should change that. It's just, most of my sims are based on people I know, online and offline. So, I've had this one save for a long time, it's hard to move on. I need to try something new, like a challenge. Maybe in a new save though, so I don't ruin my main save.