Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My big worry with the lack of Simgurus leaking information.

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited November 2019
    My fear: such silence and then, at 8th, they will say all the things we're afraid of (like the dorms being like the apartments from City Living, for example), but they'll say: "hey, but you can have bikes; robots; or look at it; look at that", for trying to make us to focus in the "good" other things and "forget" all the things they didn't put in the "expansion" or all the things they reused.
    I hope I am super wrong. Really. :/

I kind of feel the same. I don't think they will answer every question, even after looking at the thread with questions like the ones at this forum. Last time I saw it they just said thank you, they didn't promise to answer them all. I think they might select those questions that emphasise the strong features. And quickly dismiss negative answers. I think I will rely on fansites and players review, rather than this livestream ( the one and only moment in 3 weeks to get answers) .

Like you I hope to be wrong and pleasantly surprised. But my expectations are low and I am not hyped anymore.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I read through everything that was in Sims 2 and Sims 3 Uni and to be honest just reading what is included does not sound like tons but I do know I have a great time playing both games. Of course if someones interest is not in actually going to University - then i can see anyone of the University games as lacking seeing they are about going to University and not rest of the family from home.

None of the previous University games offered content outside of the University students world really but oddly in Sims 2 and 3 it didn't seem to matter but now - judging by posts I see - it suddenly matters to some players.

I wasn't a fan of the university packs in the past - they were much too linear. I did buy them - in S2, it gave us a new life stage (though I had to use a mod to play it outside of the university, and a mod to live in the university world without attending university), and I think S3 had some items I wanted. (I don't remember S3 university very well - maybe I didn't buy it, because S2 university didn't work with my playing style.)

As you've pointed out, many of us have been quite happy with the recent packs, in part because they weren't what some people wanted. The conservation emphasis in IL was a wonderful surprise and quite well done. And I'm using the magic in RoM more as a hobby for my Sims than playing it as a life state in my main save.

I'm actually anticipating that DU will be quite robust, in terms of university game play (and probably not what I want). I rather get the feeling that they've put quite a bit into the game play at the university and stayed fairly close to previous university packs. I was hoping for a less restrictive pack (personally, I'd prefer rabbit holes), but I'm clearly in the minority on this one.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    simsteph21simsteph21 Posts: 13 New Member
    I too am worried that this is the case. I’m concerned that they are avoiding answering some questions because they know we’ll be disappointed and that we may not purchase/pre order the pack. I’m just gonna assume that kids can’t ride bikes and we aren’t getting bunk beds or backpacks. BUT remember that simgurugrant was always the one who’d answer a lot of questions on twitter but he’s no longer working on ts4. It feels quiet without him. Hopefully they’ll prove us all wrong during the livestream but University is always my favourite so I’ve already preordered anyway
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2019
    DeKay wrote: »
    I forgot that Island Living is an EP and not GP. XD

Maybe they are keeping quiet to hype us? (In a reverse psychology type of way. LOL)

Yes, Maxis thinks the less they say the more people will tune in to the live stream. Or they don't want to hear anyone critique what they do know before they ever get to the live stream. That's what happened with IL, a lot of backlash before they even got to show it. I remember already seeing gamechangers videos and some upset gamechangers before Maxis even showed a live stream. Or maybe that was the same day.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    If anything, this is most likely trying out a different strategy with marketing, as they might think that revealing too much info too early will cause more people to not buy their product. But then again if that's the strategy they're going with, if all the content turns out to be less than stellar in the livestream, they'll end up losing a lot of potential purchases all at once anyway; it would only delay the inevitable. As I remember the last time a major pack withheld some info, it was about snow depth in Seasons; they deliberately avoided answering that until they could prepare for the ensuing backlash.

But that doesn't all mean the livestream will answer everything either; I was hesitant to buy RoM after having bought IL at reduced price and got bored of the shallow gameplay after a week, and then seeing the RoM livestream persuaded me to purchase it a few days after release. Boy was I disappointed when I got to actually play it. So instead this time I'm waiting until after release and gauging player opinions of everyone that's bought it on release and played long enough for them to either get bored of it or continue to play further bc there may actually be more enriching content in this one than other packs have been. We may never truly know until then...
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    If anything, this is most likely trying out a different strategy with marketing, as they might think that revealing too much info too early will cause more people to not buy their product. But then again if that's the strategy they're going with, if all the content turns out to be less than stellar in the livestream, they'll end up losing a lot of potential purchases all at once anyway; it would only delay the inevitable. As I remember the last time a major pack withheld some info, it was about snow depth in Seasons; they deliberately avoided answering that until they could prepare for the ensuing backlash.

But that doesn't all mean the livestream will answer everything either; I was hesitant to buy RoM after having bought IL at reduced price and got bored of the shallow gameplay after a week, and then seeing the RoM livestream persuaded me to purchase it a few days after release. Boy was I disappointed when I got to actually play it. So instead this time I'm waiting until after release and gauging player opinions of everyone that's bought it on release and played long enough for them to either get bored of it or continue to play further bc there may actually be more enriching content in this one than other packs have been. We may never truly know until then...

In two hours they should be able to show the entire university life and what happens there and how much players would enjoy all the new aspirations and careers. If there are only two then of course fill it with CAS and waste time discussing things not important to players.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    It worries me too..course...I am personally not setting myself up...I have a STRONG feeling they aren't revealing much is because there ISN'T much to show.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    They are the ones telling us that every recent pack has sold wonderfully well. I don't know, I don't have that info at hand. So, there should be no reason for them to be apprehensive about this pack. Yet, no communication.

When Drake was here, she came into the forums and chatted and answered questions when she could, but at least she had a presence. Kate was....different and I'm not sure she had the where with all for this job. Doesn't matter, she disappeared. Frost rarely makes any appearance here. A few of his tweets get posted but if this forum is his job, where is he? Why doesn't he "pop" in once and a while just let us know that he's listening if for no other reason.

I think the Sims game as a whole is sliding down a slippery slope and if someone in charge doesn't do something, it will disappear into the Judgement pit and into the waiting jaws of the Pit Beast.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Frost rarely makes any appearance here. A few of his tweets get posted but if this forum is his job, where is he? Why doesn't he "pop" in once and a while just let us know that he's listening if for no other reason.

Yes this confuses me too, I thought he was meant to be the Community Manager but there doesn't really seem to be any SimGuru presence here anymore, I see more of the EA Community Manager and Moderation team... what's with that? :#
  • Options
    They are the ones telling us that every recent pack has sold wonderfully well. I don't know, I don't have that info at hand. So, there should be no reason for them to be apprehensive about this pack. Yet, no communication.

When Drake was here, she came into the forums and chatted and answered questions when she could, but at least she had a presence. Kate was....different and I'm not sure she had the where with all for this job. Doesn't matter, she disappeared. Frost rarely makes any appearance here. A few of his tweets get posted but if this forum is his job, where is he? Why doesn't he "pop" in once and a while just let us know that he's listening if for no other reason.

I think the Sims game as a whole is sliding down a slippery slope and if someone in charge doesn't do something, it will disappear into the Judgement pit and into the waiting jaws of the Pit Beast.

And I hear they are hiring YET another new Community Manager..soo...yeah....
  • Options
    LuvMySimzLuvMySimz Posts: 642 Member
    Holiday wrote: »
    Frost rarely makes any appearance here. A few of his tweets get posted but if this forum is his job, where is he? Why doesn't he "pop" in once and a while just let us know that he's listening if for no other reason.

Yes this confuses me too, I thought he was meant to be the Community Manager but there doesn't really seem to be any SimGuru presence here anymore, I see more of the EA Community Manager and Moderation team... what's with that? :#

Seems the Gurus are too busy scrolling Twitter.
    „ - Criticism may not be agreeable, but it's sometimes necessary - “

• Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member

Do you mean someone to replace Frost or an additional CM?
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

According to Frost (here on the Forum in one of the threads), he's getting help.
  • Options

According to Frost (here on the Forum in one of the threads), he's getting help.

Help with what?
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited November 2019

Help with what?

Community managing, I would think, considering the job title.
    ETA: I was responding to the query about whether he's getting replaced or if it's another CM (and Frost is keeping his role). He's keeping his role. The hire is for an additional CM.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    I would think it would be welcome news that we're getting another Community Manager. First there are complaints about no guru presence on the forum yet an unwillingness to wait and see what the new CM will be responsible for before writing them off.
  • Options
    pearson3pearson3 Posts: 33 Member
    I'm curious how the dorms are going to differ from apartments. Will they be a lot type useable outside of the University world? Can they be build from scratch like TS2 or just decorated like the current apartments? Custom would be awesome but sadly I don't have much hope.

I'm hoping for more activities and skills that can be used outside of just university too, like the ping pong table they showed. I'm a bit worried about soccer as it only showed them juggling the ball, not actually playing with a net at all. Overall I just want more instruments, pool tables, arcade games, frisbee/playing catch type things, etc. Basically anything from TS2: Free Time. Dance, pottery, sewing, model trains, etc. My college Sims need things to study and keep doing later on in life. This pack would be great to include them as part of curriculum themed items. I'd even love more athletic themed stuff like trying out for sports teams. There's so many gameplay options but I don't see what's actually going to be new besides bikes and bars.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    I would think it would be welcome news that we're getting another Community Manager. First there are complaints about no guru presence on the forum yet an unwillingness to wait and see what the new CM will be responsible for before writing them off.

Quite honestly I am welcome for anything and more information than the way they are doing now...it's....not very good right now.
  • Options
    I wonder if kids and teens can play juice pong. Can my kiddies get juiced? That would be funny if they failed to put an age filter on the juice pong or the keg. They'll probably just make it so kids can't play ping pong. What are my kiddies supposed to do in the basement if the kiddies can't play ping pong? Ride their bikes? Oh......wait......I forgot.....THEY AIN"T GOT NO BIKES! :D
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited November 2019

I hope they are a presence in the forums. Some answers or even acknowledgement would calm a lot of people down and stop the repeating thread topics. It surely would have to be better than the nothing at all that we have now.
    Post edited by Camkat on
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    sillehbeesillehbee Posts: 704 Member
    edited November 2019
    I randomly purchased Planet Coaster a few days ago while it was $13 on sale. The amount of content that comes in their DLC packs actually makes me angry. There was a youtube review that took 20 minutes just to go over every new object (all colorable, btw) and feature that came in that one $10 pack.

I've been a fan of the sims since the very beginning. Island Living was the only EP I didn't purchase in the entire history of the franchise. I'm actually really mad at myself for spending so much money on TS4, purely out of nostalgia, because Maxis consistently delivers less and less content with each pack. I think this may be the end for me. If DU doesn't prove to be an improvement, I don't think I'll be playing TS4 anymore. It feels stupid to keep giving them money.
  • Options
    sillehbee wrote: »
    I randomly purchased Planet Coaster a few days ago while it was $13 on sale. The amount of content that comes in their DLC packs actually makes me angry. There was a youtube review that took 20 minutes just to go over every new object (all colorable, btw) and feature that came in that one $10 pack.

I've been a fan of the sims since the very beginning. Island Living was the only EP I didn't purchase in the entire history of the franchise. I'm actually really mad at myself for spending so much money on TS4, purely out of nostalgia, because Maxis consistently delivers less and less content with each pack. I think this may be the end for me. If DU doesn't prove to be an improvement, I don't think I'll be playing TS4 anymore. It feels stupid to keep giving them money.

Planet Zoo drops tomorrow and because I can only afford one pack, guess which one I'm buying. :)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,882 Member
    sillehbee wrote: »

Planet Zoo drops tomorrow and because I can only afford one pack, guess which one I'm buying. :)

I'm really excited for Planet Zoo! Have one appointment in the morning then the rest of the day to play.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Holiday wrote: »

The forums aren't really the CM's job duty. It's more about selling, pushing the brand into different areas of life. Like selling T-shirts to manufactures to get Maxis more money, but on a much bigger scale. It's the 'brand' now, not a game, it's not been a game for a very long time. It is supposed to be looked upon like Nike or something, a brand, and where they can get that 'brand' into different markets they never expected to go twenty years ago. I don't mean countries, but into markets where you would never expect Sims to have any influence.
  • Options
    PeppermixPeppermix Posts: 231 Member
    edited November 2019
    Agree. I think it’s strange.

Remember City Living? They teased us for several weeks and made blogs where you could read about each neighborhood, aparments and festivals before release. They also did two( I think?) livestreams.

It made me almost crazy to wait for the EP, but now with DU I sometimes forget it’s coming.