Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My big worry with the lack of Simgurus leaking information.

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I get worried too when they hype things like bathroom stalls and pots with faces on them as if these are main features. And the recycled animations are getting old. It is like they only give us one thing per pack now. This time, it is bikes.

Don't forget the UNIbots that took five years to get around to.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    Well they can't make trailer after trailer about the same half dozen items. So, no info until the LS. And with a possibly lite pack (Sims 5 should be named Sims Lite, you know it will be worse than S4) and a promise to move quickly through the Build/Buy and CAS, that means to fill up the two (?) hours promised, there will be a ton of useless, mind-numbing banter about carp no one cares about, distracting them from showing whatever they were going to show before they wandered off the path yet again. If it's as bad as I'm fearing, it will probably make me yearn for the good old days of Morgan and Ninja being "juiced" for two hours during that last teeth grinding Guru Garage Setup where they had to take a poll for every little thing. Giggle giggle giggle.

Does anyone working at Maxis have any spare A.D.D. meds just in case things get too off track? :D

God forbid they enjoy themselves on a live stream. Gaming is serious business.

I have absolutely no problem with the devs "enjoying" themselves. They should enjoy talking about a pack that they worked so hard on. But the point of a Live Stream is to convey information. If the enjoyment slows down, blocks, replaces or impedes that flow of information in any way, shape or form, then the entire purpose of the devs airing and hosting a LS and the reason that we watched that LS is mute. Why waste my time with an overabundance of frivolity and silliness that is unnecessary. Have fun, but get to the info, especially if it's concerning a pack that is offering little info to begin with.

Except that the live streams are not actually supposed to be always about conveying information. The Guru Garage (the one you referenced with Morgan and Ninja) is actually just for messing around with the game, which is why that one was silly in the first place. It's the Maxis Monthlys that contain announcements, and only if there's an announcement to make. They keep telling players that but some people won't listen and refuse to put their own expectations in check. If you think that there's supposed to be Sims 4 information every single time there's a live stream, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment and "wasting" your own time. And if you don't enjoy them, well, maybe you just shouldn't watch. You can't dictate their behavior so what's the point if it annoys you so much? You can always just get the information later when the fan sites spatter it all over the internet.

As for the DU live stream, they're going to show what they want to show and they're going to do it however it's comfortable for them. Relax and try to enjoy things. It's not a big deal.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Normally the Sims Camp Info is out before the Livestream. Seems like it will be different this go around. There may not even be a Sims Camp. They may just send the Gamechangers an Early Code.
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited October 2019
    Not surprised. I'm so sorry for the simmers who think this EP is gonna change everything, fix every problems TS4 has etc... Because it won't and they're going to be disappointed, the same scenario will restart again & we'll be asking for more dlcs just after 2 weeks.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    mischiefluvermischiefluver Posts: 738 Member
    I get worried too when they hype things like bathroom stalls and pots with faces on them as if these are main features. And the recycled animations are getting old. It is like they only give us one thing per pack now. This time, it is bikes.

The developers won't let us forget about it ;) Everytime they admit a feature is missing, they will bring up either the bike or the robot. There are no fraternities and sororities, but your sim can ride a bike! No, there aren't murphy beds, bands, pool tables, vending machines, a distinction between dorms and regular houses but you can build a robot!
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    davina1221 wrote: »
    Personally, I don't like leveling up jobs, skills, relationships, or anything else. It seems like work instead of fun. I hate it because all that leveling up keeps me from the play ideas I have. I wish jobs and college had a difficulty slider. Easy, middle of the road, and difficult. That way those who are interested in storylines ECT. can choose easy while simmers who like a challenge can have their play style. If it's too much like work, then I don't consider it fun. I play to get away from that.
    There are cheats for making it easier.

https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/careers/cheats.php

Unfortunately we still have a watered-down game for those of us who like a bit of a challenge.
  • Options
    Well they can't make trailer after trailer about the same half dozen items. So, no info until the LS. And with a possibly lite pack (Sims 5 should be named Sims Lite, you know it will be worse than S4) and a promise to move quickly through the Build/Buy and CAS, that means to fill up the two (?) hours promised, there will be a ton of useless, mind-numbing banter about carp no one cares about, distracting them from showing whatever they were going to show before they wandered off the path yet again. If it's as bad as I'm fearing, it will probably make me yearn for the good old days of Morgan and Ninja being "juiced" for two hours during that last teeth grinding Guru Garage Setup where they had to take a poll for every little thing. Giggle giggle giggle.

Does anyone working at Maxis have any spare A.D.D. meds just in case things get too off track? :D

I have absolutely no problem with the devs "enjoying" themselves. They should enjoy talking about a pack that they worked so hard on. But the point of a Live Stream is to convey information. If the enjoyment slows down, blocks, replaces or impedes that flow of information in any way, shape or form, then the entire purpose of the devs airing and hosting a LS and the reason that we watched that LS is mute. Why waste my time with an overabundance of frivolity and silliness that is unnecessary. Have fun, but get to the info, especially if it's concerning a pack that is offering little info to begin with.

Except that the live streams are not actually supposed to be always about conveying information. The Guru Garage (the one you referenced with Morgan and Ninja) is actually just for messing around with the game, which is why that one was silly in the first place. It's the Maxis Monthlys that contain announcements, and only if there's an announcement to make. They keep telling players that but some people won't listen and refuse to put their own expectations in check. If you think that there's supposed to be Sims 4 information every single time there's a live stream, you're only setting yourself up for disappointment and "wasting" your own time. And if you don't enjoy them, well, maybe you just shouldn't watch. You can't dictate their behavior so what's the point if it annoys you so much? You can always just get the information later when the fan sites spatter it all over the internet.

As for the DU live stream, they're going to show what they want to show and they're going to do it however it's comfortable for them. Relax and try to enjoy things. It's not a big deal.

It is a big deal. I value my time.

The very point of a LS is to convey information, not watch devs entertain themselves with nonsensical chit chat. That they can do in the cafeteria during lunch. I watch to gain knowledge about a pack. See something that, on my own, I might have missed otherwise. If the devs want to go to the time, effort and cost of producing a LS it should do what it was made to do. If they want to go to the time, effort and cost of producing a variety show with jokes, surprise guests and tap dancing devs, fine, I'll watch that too. But when I watch it, I won't be looking for game info because that was not the reason they created that particular LS.

As for the Guru Garage and messing around with the game, I like a little jocularity but, that was not a little. If they had filmed it before hand and edited it for content, the over two hours would become about 22 minutes of actual garage play. Add a few minutes of witty banter and it might become a whole half of an hour. I like Morgan and I like Ninja. I like the idea of watching gurus playing a Hungerish Games type of LS. I watched the first one. It was fun. I think this one will be fun once it gets going. If they can look me in my good eye and after watching a full, two hour replay of that LS setup, and tell me that it had the perfect amount of "fun", not too little and not too much, I'll gladly come on here and apologize to both of them. But, they must watch it alone and not skip one single minute. They strike me as honest people. If they think it was perfect, they'll say so. If however, they think that it might have gotten a tad off track and a bit too convoluted, I have no doubt that they will admit that too.
  • Options
    WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Wrenry wrote: »
    With how fast chat goes by during Live-streams, I wish they would collect all the questions beforehand and before or during gameplay announce the question then answer it by showing the gameplay specific for it if it’s there.

And also might as well let the YouTube Game Changers they have start showing gameplay around the same time to give more info.

Here is the thread. I linked it to SimGuruFrost and Lyd. Frost came into the thread and thanked people for the questions.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/968055/questions-about-discover-university

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

It is a big deal. I value my time.

The very point of a LS is to convey information, not watch devs entertain themselves with nonsensical chit chat. That they can do in the cafeteria during lunch. I watch to gain knowledge about a pack. See something that, on my own, I might have missed otherwise. If the devs want to go to the time, effort and cost of producing a LS it should do what it was made to do. If they want to go to the time, effort and cost of producing a variety show with jokes, surprise guests and tap dancing devs, fine, I'll watch that too. But when I watch it, I won't be looking for game info because that was not the reason they created that particular LS.

As for the Guru Garage and messing around with the game, I like a little jocularity but, that was not a little. If they had filmed it before hand and edited it for content, the over two hours would become about 22 minutes of actual garage play. Add a few minutes of witty banter and it might become a whole half of an hour. I like Morgan and I like Ninja. I like the idea of watching gurus playing a Hungerish Games type of LS. I watched the first one. It was fun. I think this one will be fun once it gets going. If they can look me in my good eye and after watching a full, two hour replay of that LS setup, and tell me that it had the perfect amount of "fun", not too little and not too much, I'll gladly come on here and apologize to both of them. But, they must watch it alone and not skip one single minute. They strike me as honest people. If they think it was perfect, they'll say so. If however, they think that it might have gotten a tad off track and a bit too convoluted, I have no doubt that they will admit that too.

Exactly!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    Lack of info on upcoming packs has been a sore spot with players since Sims4 was released. We are given a reveal/teaser vod to watch which usually showcases the new world along with bits and pieces of gameplay that often is not an accurate depiction of the actual gameplay in the pack. And the vague manner in which the gurus answer our questions is hardly what I would describe as helpful. Asking questions has become futile, because we know before the questions are asked, the answers will be vague, an emphatic no, or their favorite reply ' hopefully that will happen soon' or the same excuse they're 'working on it'. I think it's all a big marketing ploy that has failed to impress me thus far. This is hardly a meaningful interaction between a company trying to sell a product and the people wanting more information on that product.

The pre-ep update will have more to offer than the pack itself. This has been proven to be true more often than not this past year. These have caused the most problems, too, so I am less interested in what is in the pack, but worried what the update is all about. Base game updates change the game in many ways that aren't always beneficial. The updates that impacted my game the most were the ones released before Seasons and Island Living. Seeing as the whims have been broken for a while, we have been asking for romance and personalities to be updated, and for more family activities, this next update could impact the game in a favorable way. I hope this is true because I am ready for some changes that add some meat to the game. And I don't believe DU alone can manage to do that.

The gurus cannot answer my questions because the free content in the update cannot be discussed. Hopefully, there will be a Maxis Monthly in November that will reveal more. As far as the two hour live stream coming up next week? Maybe we'll get a better idea about what DU has that the other packs failed to add to the game. Based on the scarce news so far, I'm not expecting DU to meet my expectations of what a uni-based EP should be. And my expectations for any uni-based pack are pretty low. There should have been another trailer released this week, but it looks as if EA is going to take this down to the wire again, as they did with Island Living. And I know Island Living fell short of my expectations, making me even less hopeful DU will be any different. Giving us more information now about DU, might help some players decide to purchase it. The old saying no news is good news doesn't help in this situation. Less news coming from the gurus usually means there is less to talk about.
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited November 2019

The developers won't let us forget about it ;) Everytime they admit a feature is missing, they will bring up either the bike or the robot. There are no fraternities and sororities, but your sim can ride a bike! No, there aren't murphy beds, bands, pool tables, vending machines, a distinction between dorms and regular houses but you can build a robot!

We don't know there aren't any pool tables or vending machines yet. The reveal trailer doesn't show everything. None of the gurus have said no to these two objects were they did murphy beds.
  • Options
    scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
    Fact is we know extremely little about this pack. Simguru's aren't even posting screenshots at this time. It is almost like they are ashamed of it or something. So talking about what this pack has or doesn't outside of a few very limited objects and features is utter guesswork at best. But if history of the last expansion Island Living teaches us anything silence on a topic means it is shallow. And taking the silence about Discover University into account my expectations and excitement is dropping to an all time low. No news is not good news. Historically it means there is nothing to talk about.
  • Options
    Maybe when they saw how the pack looked so lite to us, they began working on things that we want that are missing and are too busy to answer questions. Yes, I live in a fantasy world. :D
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I suspect they haven’t told us anything else because there’s nothing to tell. I think if Murphy beds, bunk beds, pool tables, sororities etc were in the game it would have been in the trailer. Surely you would prioritise game play activities (especially ones sought after) over showing a toilet!? A toilet. Not to mention re skins of objects we already have. Looking at you, drone and speech podium.

Plus they got to have something to fill a two hour live stream with.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'm still feeling like they were pushed to announce earlier than planned because of the leaks and they really don't have more to show/tell us at this time. They do need to leave some things until closer to the actual release.

I also do feel that this EP won't include everything it should for an EP, but not because of lack of information yet, it's based on what we've been seeing this year. More information could fix that feeling (or make it worse) but we won't know more until we know more! ;) I just don't think that there is a link between the two this time. At least, not yet.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    scoedscoed Posts: 91 Member
    For those that say they were forced to put this out early, I doubt it. Here is why, historically they announce new expansion packs between 4 to five week before release the big exception was Island Living and this one which was announced 3 weeks in advanced. Thus a shorter notice then is typical for an expansion for this pack. Two to three weeks is typical for a game or stuff pack. At any rate by now things should be at full swing, yet crickets is all I here. Given this is going live in two weeks if they don't have anything to show or tell us there is nothing to show or tell in this pack. I am thinking I made a mistake buying this expansion.

I hope I am wrong but I spent a half hour reading tweets of every simguru I know of and the only news I could find is that the simguru garage will have no news on Discover University. (I am helping compile information for a fan forum.) I started out trying to promote this pack, but there is nothing to promote at least nothing they are sharing. This year has been a bad one for packs for Sims 4.
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    I've always said it, I wish they would bring back the days of The Sims 2 where the build up to an expansion pack was magical. It was basically announced right after the previous Expansion was released and from there we were fed screenshots, trailers, moderated chats, fan site exclusives, all sorts! :(
  • Options
    I suspect they haven’t told us anything else because there’s nothing to tell. I think if Murphy beds, bunk beds, pool tables, sororities etc were in the game it would have been in the trailer. Surely you would prioritise game play activities (especially ones sought after) over showing a toilet!? A toilet. Not to mention re skins of objects we already have. Looking at you, drone and speech podium.

I imagine that they will easily fill the two hours with 10% info and 90% fun guru chit chat. YEA!
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited November 2019

I imagine that they will easily fill the two hours with 10% info and 90% fun guru chit chat. YEA!

That's what they are supposed to do - but no info is given about coming games period. It is just for fun for those that enjoy watching the Gurur's play the game. I always watch it even if I can't be there live - like today - I have radiation - but i will enjoy watching it when I get home. I find it fun - makes me laugh. Believe me I cherish things that make me laugh.

If it is not your thing - then perhaps it's not something you should do. But many of us do enjoy those two hours seeing our Guru's as players is fun to me. But if you are only looking for info - then it really isn't going to be something that is going to interest you - I would guess.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options

We don't know there aren't any pool tables or vending machines yet. The reveal trailer doesn't show everything. None of the gurus have said no to these two objects were they did murphy beds.

I'm 99% sure they are not included. It's better not to announce every bad news at once. :wink: Maybe a few days before the release they'll tell us it's not included, but there is bikes! 🙄
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options

HAHA! :joy::joy: It's predictable this ''EP'' is dull. When they released ROM wich is a GP there was way more infos, so I wouldn't except it to be big.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

That's what they are supposed to do - but no info is given about coming games period. It is just for fun for those that enjoy watching the Gurur's play the game. I always watch it even if I can't be there live - like today - I have radiation - but i will enjoy watching it when I get home. I find it fun - makes me laugh. Believe me I cherish things that make me laugh.

If it is not your thing - then perhaps it's not something you should do. But many of us do enjoy those two hours seeing our Guru's as players is fun to me. But if you are only looking for info - then it really isn't going to be something that is going to interest you - I would guess.

I see your point but info is the main idea of a LS. I wouldn't mind watching them play if they actually got around to playing.

On a personal note, good luck today, stay strong. I have you in my prayers. "Yes Annelle, I pray. Well I do. There, I said it, I hope your satisfied."
    (There's always time for a Steel Magnolias quote.) :)
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,885 Member
    Guess I must be one of the few not concerned with the lack of additional information. More time to enjoy IL and RoM without any pesky PEP distractions. I'd be good with a two week lead time.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

And polls. Lots and lots of polls....