Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Have you ever had a baby/toddler/child taken away?

Comments

• Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,989 Member
    Lol.... I haven’t ever had a baby taken away in any of the sims games 1-4, but I take care of my sims (usually direct what they do). In older games it was actually harder. You had to pay a babysitter and call them to get there or have someone there when you leave. Sims 4 is easy compared to sims 2.
  • Options
    AshurayAshuray Posts: 22 Member
    Never happened to me. For some reason I always get tired of a household right after they have a baby or get married..I don't like managing more than one sim :|
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    Maybe?
    It probably happened some of the first times I played with a family in the game. I do remember getting the warning, at least. It was probably triggered by having the baby in a cradle too far away from where the parents were in the house, which must have been quite big. I think I didn't notice the baby was crying (blue avatar).
    But as far as I know I've not got that far with a toddler, since they are often more mobile and can take care of some of their own needs themselves.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited October 2019
    belpita wrote: »
    Maybe?
    It probably happened some of the first times I played with a family in the game. I do remember getting the warning, at least. It was probably triggered by having the baby in a cradle too far away from where the parents were in the house, which must have been quite big. I think I didn't notice the baby was crying (blue avatar).
    But as far as I know I've not got that far with a toddler, since they are often more mobile and can take care of some of their own needs themselves.

-Every 8 hours babies need feeding, as 10-30 minutes after that mark babies will start crying for being hungry.
    -Between every 6-8 hours babies need attention given to them, and on occasion you'll have to move that off schedule to bring it back on schedule for a later feeding session.
    -Soiled nappies are often random.

It is that simple in game to plan your actions. if the child was fed at 8am, then the next feeding session is 4pm, so plan within 2 hours around that time, same again for 12am and again the day after at 8am. if you are late for work, then you are late for work, otherwise take the risk and letting a nanny deal with the child and dealing with the often unreliable autonomy priority.
  • Options
    LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,828 Member
    I've never had one taken away but I remember in The Sims 2 my cousin had her child, Bernard, taken. She deserved it, she didn't treat that child right.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,410 Member
    I had a baby taken away once. It happened right when I returned home from community lot, so not much I could have done to prevent it. I considered not saving since it wasn't my fault really, but then just let it happen because bad things rarely occur in this game.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I had an infant taken once. He was one of my first ever twins born in game. My sim fed them both and proceeded to the kitchen to get her own meal when the hunger notification popped up. By the time I told her to turn around and go back to try and feed him again he was gone. It must’ve been a glitch.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,688 Member
    I am very happy to report, I haven't yet had a child/toddler/infant taken from any of my families in Sims4. Sadly, this wasn't so in Sims3. The teach toddler to speak function came with a very disrupting glitch. The child would get stuck to the floor! Dad couldn't move, either. Mom did her best to care for the infant before she went to work, but there was no way she could free the toddler in order to feed her. It was painful and clearly out of my hands as a player. Both children were taken by SS. This nearly scuttled my Legacy Challenge game, too.

The only time I lost a child in Sims2, was when in my frustration with Sims3, I went back to playing Sims2. Again, a glitch that came with the last pack Mansions and Gardens was never addressed. I had quite forgotten about it until it was too late. I sent the twin boys to school, both exited the castle in which they lived and I turned the camera and my focus on the Mom and toddler sister. Then it happened. As it turned out one of the twins wasn't making it to school. I found him stuck out on the sidewalk unable to get on the bus. Too late to amend the situation, the Social Worker came and claimed all three of the little darlings. I got so angry I immediately uninstalled the entirety of Sims2 from my computer. Sorry I did that now. I had a few choice items from the Store I'll never get back. :'(

But, no, in my fear to lose anymore children from a game as easy and as simple as Sims4, I have resorted very reluctantly to using the Make Happy cheat.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Maybe?

-Every 8 hours babies need feeding, as 10-30 minutes after that mark babies will start crying for being hungry.
    -Between every 6-8 hours babies need attention given to them, and on occasion you'll have to move that off schedule to bring it back on schedule for a later feeding session.

It is that simple in game to plan your actions. if the child was fed at 8am, then the next feeding session is 4pm, so plan within 2 hours around that time, same again for 12am and again the day after at 8am. if you are late for work, then you are late for work, otherwise take the risk and letting a nanny deal with the child and dealing with the often unreliable autonomy priority.

Newborn Babies in real life need many more feedings than that though. As the babies stay awake longer they also need more attention otherwise they are liable to cry. Parents need to bond with that newborns - not just leave them for hours laying in their cribs.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    SadiesueSadiesue Posts: 128 Member
    Yep. I was playing a household that had a newborn. I was playing with autonomy off and I fell asleep while I was playing. Woke up and I couldn’t find the baby. Sure enough in the notifications it said my baby was taken away. The one and only time. I was heartbroken. 😢
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    The first time this happened to me in all my simming years was last week . My Scientist sim was at work , there was plenty of sims at the house plus a nanny. My sim returned from work and immediently I got notified that the toddler was taken away due to neglect. I didn't think that was fair so I quit the game without saving.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Maybe?

Newborn Babies in real life need many more feedings than that though. As the babies stay awake longer they also need more attention otherwise they are liable to cry. Parents need to bond with that newborns - not just leave them for hours laying in their cribs.

Something in that if maxis consider improving babies to be more than just squirming, noisy furniture in a crib. having babies crawling around learning movement, learning mental activities like studying parents, tv screen with all that flashing colour, the noise in the ear. going out in a buggy for the first time seeing the world in an inspired manner.

having it more difficult as you put it by making babies a lot more difficult to deal with, and a lot more sleepless nights, more so for single parents. Right now it is too easy to do the above and have all that free time.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,099 Member
    edited October 2019
    Only once on purpose. In Sims 2 Brandi Broke had her kids taken away before she married my Sim. Then it happened to me in Sims 3 twice by accident. Once, my game half froze. You know, one of those situations where time is still passing but you can't do anything. My toddler's needs fell too low and she was taken. Another time, I'd left my game to go do something and when I came back I discovered my baby had been taken.
    I haven't had it happen in 4, though I get warnings all the time.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    karieebokarieebo Posts: 24 Member
    Never in The Sims 4, but multiple times in The Sims 2. Not gonna lie, it was sometimes intentional... >:)
  • Options
    SimsandraSimsandra Posts: 315 Member
    Not "my" babies, but my husbands simself had two alien twin boys.
    Accordingly to his story (and because of annoying neighbours) he had a part of his house closed, so only family menbers could enter.
    My sims teenage daughter was visiting. I played her, because she was the girlfriend of my husbanfmds teen daughter. Anyways, for some reason there was a fire (why did he cook? He's a vampire) and because of the closed up doors I could not extinguish the fire, nor leave the lot, so the fire went on and on and all the sims were outside doing their fire-dance and no one extinguished it. After a looong time the babies were taken away.
    I did not save for hours, so I went on with that. My husband was a bit annoyed xD
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    Wow, this thread is scaring me! I had no idea there were still so many ways a kid could be taken away without deliberate neglect or a strict non-interference policy! And it's not like the TS2 or TS3 glitches will ever be fixed. D:

By the way, if anyone wants to know what happened to my Toddler? She eventually accepted the fact that Gramps wasn't coming for her, so she went potty on her own, then grabbed some food. Smart kid! She's aged up since, and is now a delightful child with the Outgoing trait. :)

@Simsandra That happened to one of my child Sims! I believe she was on the Landgraab's property. Someone started a fire (probably Malcolm, that boor) and nobody was putting it out. My Sim couldn't leave because of the fire, and she couldn't do anything about it because she was a child. Fortunately, she was scheduled to age up that day, and as soon as she did, I had her extinguish the fire.

They should really release a patch to fix that; it obviously wasn't intended.
  • Options
    0xx_Simmer_xx00xx_Simmer_xx0 Posts: 196 Member
    Well, my celebrity sim had a set of twin girls. I'm still convinced that they were both the actual devils in my sims game. They never stopped crying, so I decided to try to find a "Make Happy" cheat, but instead I found the "." cheat. I clicked on it out of curiosity and.. My child got taken away. That took me a while to get over, lol.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,130 Member
    I had one taken away recently. I was playing a household of 8. The parents both worked at the vet clinic so grandpa and aunt were to take care of the house and kids while they worked. My Sims came home to the twin toddlers hungry and dirty. While I was trying to get someone, anyone to take care of them, one of them got taken away. I quit without saving. I was angry, I quit that household all together. There was an elder, young adult, and a teen and not a single one could tend to the toddlers' needs while the parents were working.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,891 Member
    I had a toddler taken away once, in TS2. I was in such a panic I didn't think about quitting the game without saving.
    The boy was later adopted by my main family, and then re-aquainted with his biological parents.
  • Options
    BandakBandak Posts: 62 Member
    Not in TS4, I think, nor TS3. But several times in 1 and 2. Might have been more difficult? or perhaps I am just more careful now.
  • Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    Only once, just last week, by accident. I right clicked on the crib, with testing cheats enabled, and wondered what that little white square was. When I found out the social worker was taking the baby I immediately went to get out without saving. I don't know what happened but somehow I hit the wrong option and saved the game. I was gutted and have been trying to recreate the same kid since. She was a vamppire/spellcaster hybrid. Game keeps giving me a male vampire.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’ve never lost a sims 4 child. Compared to earlier games, that aspect is very easy for me and the game gives many warnings. I would have to work to get a child removed. It’s like deaths. Hard to come by.
  • Options
    Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 452 Member
    Yes only to see social services pop up, but the kids just disappear out of the household. Bummer. 😏
  • Options
    jeepjeepcatjeepjeepcat Posts: 2,302 Member
    edited October 2019
    Too many times to remember. That’s what happens when you leave daft Sims in charge when you leave it on super fast speed to make coffee. Luckily I have MCC set up to have kids adopted by ingame families so it’s fairly simple to fix. Sometimes I just roll with the mayhem they cause though. Playing the broke family I got off the gallery (old school Brokes) and Dustin managed to set himself on fire and die. Then Brandi had a daughter (I thought it was supposed to be a boy), beau aged up to teen, proceeded to light the fireplace, burned the ground floor to ashes, he seemed fireproof (stood in it but didn’t die) but sadly it would not go out and his hunger bar was low and I couldn’t get him to eat... he starved. Luckily Brandi and the daughter had just eaten and the fire went out before they starved too! Now they can’t afford to fix the house so I guess I’ll sell it and move them into a smaller lot (wtb firemen!).
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Only once in S4 - I left a family on autonomous play while I took a shower, and by the time I returned, the toddler was starving. (The parents were playing the high-chair hokey-pokey.) And at one point, I had a glitch in which my babies never turned blue when they needed to be fed, and got a couple of warnings. (I fed them every time I changed the diaper after that.)

I vividly remember having my kids sent away to military school in The Sims, but I'm sure that was on purpose - I wanted to see what would happen, or I had too many kids in the house and needed to move one out. I used Awesome Mod's 'no social worker' in S2 and S3 to allow me to homeschool my kids, so it wasn't an issue for those games.
    I just want things to match. :'(