Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Anyone Else Started Seeing Pack Trailers Like Fast Food Adds?

Comments

• Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes. I did get that jaded "Fast Food Add" feeling.
    I knew going in I was going to see a lot of shiny and that all the machinima isn't actual gameplay. I'm not sure any sims game ad hasn't been done with machinma? I don't think they could advertise with real game footage because the sims wouldn't do much more than stand around expressionless. What I was looking for was new things though. Tried to think about how they would play out, but even the new are old and things we had in past TS2 or TS3 games, including the animations.

The song also annoyed me a little. "Bet you never saw this coming" Yeah, but I did... TS4 was never not going to do a Uni pack. "You ain't seen nothing like this" Again, yes I did... in TS2 and TS3.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    After spending nearly 48 years on this planet, I understand how commercials work, so I don’t let the hooks spoil my enjoyment of the actual product anymore. I rely more on the live-streams to see what’s really what. Barbie commercials when I was a kid showed Barbie walking and talking on her own, the real doll never did anything portrayed in the commercials but I still enjoyed the plum out of mine from the age of 6 until I was about 15 years old. :)
    That’s really not the same, everybody knows Barbie can’t walk on her own. When you advertise a game and suggest there’s gameplay in there that’s not, that’s like advertising a Barbie doll and selling her without legs. People who are pointing this out are not naive or something, they do know how advertising works. But there is a line, also in advertising.

When you’re six you don’t necessarily know that. But eventually you learn to filter hyperbole from actuality and that’s all I was saying. I don’t expect my sims game to play out like the machinima commercial. If I don’t engage my imagination while I play I too get bored quickly. The way I figure it, using my imagination to fill in the story I’m telling on my screen is my sweat equity in the game, so to speak. All video games require a suspension of belief and reality along with a certain amount of self storytelling in order to achieve immersion. At least that’s how I see it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I never watched ads at 6 because we didn’t have a TV back then, maybe you do think at that age Barbies can walk around and talk to you when it’s on screen, I don’t know. I did have dolls back then and I knew they couldn’t do that, that I had to bring them to life myself (which was the whole fun of it, basically). I think the comparison here is when they show you Barbie Camping Adventures with a pink caravan in it and two tents and a table with little chairs and a picknick set and two lounge chairs, and then you buy it and there’s nothing in there but Barbie, a picknick set and the tent. No caravan, no picknick set, no chairs, no table. That is false advertising.

if you have a computer-look up ads for Barbie commericals that make her a mermaid or a fairy (Thumblina)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2019
    I think this kind of pack trailer pattern has been really prevalent since the CL reveal trailer from 3 (yes, 3!) years ago:

After watching that, and forgetting about what you already knew about the pack when you got it, wouldn't you be excited too? I know I was. But expectation vs reality doesn't get much more prevalent than City Living.

I actually think the City Living trailer is miles better than the University trailer. It's just a lot of quick scenes of interactions from the pack. More recent trailers focus on specific characters and try to tell a story, often using animations that are completely non-existent in game. More of what you see in the CL trailer can actually happen than in the DU trailer.

Give me 20 quick clips of gameplay interactions over 5 scenes of manufactured storytelling any day.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I think you need a Zoloft...
    Have a Zoloft.

I watch the trailer to see how they are pitching a pack, and secondarily (but importantly) to get a peek at new Build/Buy and CAS assets I may use. Of course they are advertising. EA sells games. For money. It's a business.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Following this conversation... are we not getting a gameplay trailer for this one?

The reveal trailer was never a thing for me to gauge gameplay from because it's just that, a reveal. But that's because there's usually (always, for EPs and GPs?) one that's specifically about gameplay.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    xD Wow I never thought it that way heh.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    No. The trailer actually got me really excited.
    After spending nearly 48 years on this planet, I understand how commercials work, so I don’t let the hooks spoil my enjoyment of the actual product anymore. I rely more on the live-streams to see what’s really what. Barbie commercials when I was a kid showed Barbie walking and talking on her own, the real doll never did anything portrayed in the commercials but I still enjoyed the plum out of mine from the age of 6 until I was about 15 years old. :)
    That’s really not the same, everybody knows Barbie can’t walk on her own. When you advertise a game and suggest there’s gameplay in there that’s not, that’s like advertising a Barbie doll and selling her without legs. People who are pointing this out are not naive or something, they do know how advertising works. But there is a line, also in advertising.

When you’re six you don’t necessarily know that. But eventually you learn to filter hyperbole from actuality and that’s all I was saying. I don’t expect my sims game to play out like the machinima commercial. If I don’t engage my imagination while I play I too get bored quickly. The way I figure it, using my imagination to fill in the story I’m telling on my screen is my sweat equity in the game, so to speak. All video games require a suspension of belief and reality along with a certain amount of self storytelling in order to achieve immersion. At least that’s how I see it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I never watched ads at 6 because we didn’t have a TV back then, maybe you do think at that age Barbies can walk around and talk to you when it’s on screen, I don’t know. I did have dolls back then and I knew they couldn’t do that, that I had to bring them to life myself (which was the whole fun of it, basically). I think the comparison here is when they show you Barbie Camping Adventures with a pink caravan in it and two tents and a table with little chairs and a picknick set and two lounge chairs, and then you buy it and there’s nothing in there but Barbie, a picknick set and the tent. No caravan, no picknick set, no chairs, no table. That is false advertising.

I have never purchased an S4 pack that didn’t have everything in it that they said would be. The problem I see with a lot of community members is once a pack is announced they start listing off features they expect in the pack, they make threads listing scenarios utilizing those features even if they were never promised, and then if those features don’t materialize they’re bitterly disappointed and angry. I don’t rely on the trailers for informing myself what the pack is capable of, because as I said it’s basically a two minute machinima movie, heavily staged. I watch the live-streams with the devs showing how the pack actually plays, and so far I have yet to be disappointed.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    I kind of got that feeling, but I'm still hopeful about the pack's quality.
    Evil_One wrote: »
    logion wrote: »
    And that has been a problem for a while now. What I do not like with these trailers are that they are using custom animations to give an impression that sims are reacting in ways that they do not in the game. They are also using sims that they have made themselves, not randomly generated and they are using way more in the shot than there is normally in the game, the game has a restriction of 20 sims per lot.

6xw6GwP.png

And what I really don't like are that those animations are there, we can see them. But they do not add them to the game, so they create them just for the marketing trailer. And they do not give us any options to edit the situational outfits or if the game should pick from existing sims or randomly generate new ones.

It's not really a trailer, but most trailers these days aren't... It's basically an animation using game engine graphics.

Everything that happens, the reactions, emotions, behaviours, ETC is all faked.

Yeah, look at the animated shot of the 2nd and 3rd pictures at top. They made it look like those Sims were experiencing those reactions to whatever they saw. One is sort of dumbfounded, (wearing silly hat), the second is a more skeptical to what she sees, and the third is startled and or surprised at what she sees...never happened. Then the third picture on the top, look at it. The girl has up her arm in front of the other Sim, like hold on, don't move, like when we put out an arm to protect a child etc. Never happens in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I agree in that they CANT use real footage for any sims game just because of the way the game plays out. It would look extremely boring and lackluster because let's be honest, even as a life simulator it requires a certain amount of imagination to be engaging.

It's just a few little details I find annoying if it's not true. Like can we comfort crying sims in the stall? The current comfort options for sad sims in this game is horrible. And most of it is still solo interactions like talk through it with the mirror, hide under blankets etc. I always wanted the option to just hold another sim and cry on their shoulder or something like that.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

if you have a computer-look up ads for Barbie commericals that make her a mermaid or a fairy (Thumblina)
    Like this one you mean?

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019

I have never purchased an S4 pack that didn’t have everything in it that they said would be. The problem I see with a lot of community members is once a pack is announced they start listing off features they expect in the pack, they make threads listing scenarios utilizing those features even if they were never promised, and then if those features don’t materialize they’re bitterly disappointed and angry. I don’t rely on the trailers for informing myself what the pack is capable of, because as I said it’s basically a two minute machinima movie, heavily staged. I watch the live-streams with the devs showing how the pack actually plays, and so far I have yet to be disappointed.
    They definitely suggested open scuba diving (though that was a render I think, not the trailer) and sims in the IL trailer react all surprised when a sims turns into a mermaid, which apparently doesn’t happen in the game? I don’t buy packs anymore, I see people stating trailers have animations that are not in the game, but I’ll have to take their word for it.

My point - reacting to your post - by the way wasn’t if it’s true. My point was there is a difference between pimping up a trailer and suggesting content that actually isn’t there. The first is allowed I’d say, the second is not. Whether this applies to Sims 4 I don’t know.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Following this conversation... are we not getting a gameplay trailer for this one?

The reveal trailer was never a thing for me to gauge gameplay from because it's just that, a reveal. But that's because there's usually (always, for EPs and GPs?) one that's specifically about gameplay.

I think that will follow up soon-ish, or showcased by gurus on a live stream etc. in the strategy of "never fire your whole gun powder in one shot"
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    I agree in that they CANT use real footage for any sims game just because of the way the game plays out. It would look extremely boring and lackluster because let's be honest, even as a life simulator it requires a certain amount of imagination to be engaging.

It's just a few little details I find annoying if it's not true. Like can we comfort crying sims in the stall? The current comfort options for sad sims in this game is horrible. And most of it is still solo interactions like talk through it with the mirror, hide under blankets etc. I always wanted the option to just hold another sim and cry on their shoulder or something like that.
    I watched the Sims 3 trailer for University yesterday and everything they show in that one I can do in my game.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    What is sort of ironic is those who see a trailer and complain about what they see or what they don't see are told they need to wait for the gurus to showcase gameplay. (Before Complaining) Trailers are made specifically to get us to preorder EPs. Those are the selling points seen in a trailer.

However, it's quite ok for people to see a trailer, and say omg, I can't wait, I have preordered, this is the best EP ever, just based on commercial trailer. Ironic. lol
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    If the game was as good as its trailers, there would be no complainers.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    What is sort of ironic is those who see a trailer and complain about what they see or what they don't see are told they need to wait for the gurus to showcase gameplay. (Before Complaining) Trailers are made specifically to get us to preorder EPs. Those are the selling points seen in a trailer.

However, it's quite ok for people to see a trailer, and say omg, I can't wait, I have preordered, this is the best EP ever, just based on commercial trailer. Ironic. lol

One significant thing:
    Yes, the reveal trailer is part of the promotion and is supposed to get people to preorder. People who primarily care about the theme of a pack. I see a lot of complaints here however about no gameplay being shown off in the reveal trailer though and that's not the goal of the theme reveal. There's specifically a gameplay trailer (also meant to encourage people to preorder the pack, as the entire promotional campaign is to, well, promote the pack) which comes after the one we've seen.
    This has been the case for the duration of TS4 at least, if not longer.

So no, it's not about the gurus showcasing gameplay, it's about the complaints about not seeing any gameplay before the *gameplay trailer* drops. The reveal one is not there to show off that part, it's literally just there to show off the theme and the focus points of the pack in general (and no, the gameplay isn't the *only* focus in a pack, it's one of them).

There also are people who will preorder based on a theme, based on the aesthetics, based on things that are showcased in the reveal trailer. That's their decision.
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    It was a pretty standard ad. Show the best stuff, hide the bugs. That's literally any gaming trailer nowadays. Why would they want to show you the monotony of grinding or any other features people would be disappointed by? If you want to be sure the pack is what you expect (or any game/product is what you expect) then wait for reviews. And in the case of TS4 watch the livestreams. Any game you don't get to play a prerelease version of yourself you should be leery of. And even then that's not a guarantee if you get to play it before it releases.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    If the game was as good as its trailers, there would be no complainers.

If the game were like the trailers it would be a cartoon, requiring no player interaction whatsoever.
  • Options
    Dglbr1969Dglbr1969 Posts: 854 Member

They definitely suggested open scuba diving (though that was a render I think, not the trailer) and sims in the IL trailer react all surprised when a sims turns into a mermaid, which apparently doesn’t happen in the game? I don’t buy packs anymore, I see people stating trailers have animations that are not in the game, but I’ll have to take their word for it.

My point - reacting to your post - by the way wasn’t if it’s true. My point was there is a difference between pimping up a trailer and suggesting content that actually isn’t there. The first is allowed I’d say, the second is not. Whether this applies to Sims 4 I don’t know.

I can confirm that sims react to the mermaid change in game :)
    2zin9xt.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I think you need a Zoloft...

Oh I am sure we will, but we only just got the reveal. They pace these things. I am sure there are loads of tweets and a blog and the gameplay trailer yet to come. Is there a livestream schedule anywhere? Because that's when I imagine we'll see it.

This was literally just the first teaser, and of course they try to make it look the best they can. Gameplay will give us a bit of a better idea, for sure.
  • Options
    Sindocat wrote: »

Oh I am sure we will, but we only just got the reveal. They pace these things. I am sure there are loads of tweets and a blog and the gameplay trailer yet to come. Is there a livestream schedule anywhere? Because that's when I imagine we'll see it.

This was literally just the first teaser, and of course they try to make it look the best they can. Gameplay will give us a bit of a better idea, for sure.

Yeah, I figured. It's just that from other comments it almost seemed like there was some info I missed about this being the only trailer (and thus lack of gameplay in it = no gameplay in the pack).

There's a livestream upcoming on the 8th, I'm guessing the gameplay trailer will be out somewhere between now and then.
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited October 2019
    It was a pretty standard ad. Show the best stuff, hide the bugs. That's literally any gaming trailer nowadays. Why would they want to show you the monotony of grinding or any other features people would be disappointed by? If you want to be sure the pack is what you expect (or any game/product is what you expect) then wait for reviews. And in the case of TS4 watch the livestreams. Any game you don't get to play a prerelease version of yourself you should be leery of. And even then that's not a guarantee if you get to play it before it releases.

Which pretty much explains why they never show much.
    raw
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited October 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »

Like this one you mean?

yeah-and at least at the end of the video there's a video where you can find commericals of Barbies from 2001-2017
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    Evil_One wrote: »

Which pretty much explains why they never show much.

Out of curiosity, what did you want them to show in the trailer?0

I've seen reveal trailers for games with less that were farther from release date at the time of the trailer than TS4's trailers are from their pack release dates. And those games were worse representations of the game than TS4's trailers are often times. Makes me think of that one Dead Island trailer that people loved that got people super interested in the game. Had nothing to do with the game in the long run though. Seems like there was the slightest of easter eggs in game, but otherwise the trailer and the game were unrelated. Trailers and hype are a big deal in the gaming industry and I feel like TS4 reveal trailers are actually pretty decent by comparison.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • Options
    AHolyToiletAHolyToilet Posts: 870 Member
    I don't really post here anymore, but I just had to for this thread. First off, what a creative way to express the feeling I had when I saw the trailer. All I thought to myself while watching it was: "It's just going to be more boring, lazy, uninspired content." I've stopped buying new packs now because after constantly hoping we'll get something decent and very rarely getting it, I'm done fooling myself into thinking it'll change.