Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has Anyone Else Started Seeing Pack Trailers Like Fast Food Adds?

Comments

• Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The reason why I enjoy Livesreams more
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,924 Member
    No. The trailer actually got me really excited.
    Probably because I was already excited and looking forward to University. I know the reality will be somewhat different than what was shown on the trailer but I'm a long way from being jaded.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Trailers are technically commercials, at least the reveal ones. I never expect to see actual gameplay in any of them, unless they're specifically >gameplay< trailers. This one specifically got me from a meh on this pack to "well, I might actually be intereted", which I'm guessing is the point lol Still want to see the gameplay one and the livestream and more info before I make a decision.

(veers off topic)

@Writin_Reg Interesting that you mention games and the 3rd and 4th installment. TV shows have what tends to be called the "Season 3 curse": a lot of shows hit a point in the 3rd season where viewership numbers plateau (or at least the number crunchers expect them to) so they often go in a wildly different direction or ramp up the current one to attract new viewers. It... doesn't generally go well with the existing viewers who come to expect certain things by that point and it doesn't always get the interest of many new people, since the initial premise wasn't a draw for them.
    Makes one wonder what it is about the number 3 in all this. (well, with TV it's likely 1: shiny new thing attraction, 2: let's see if it can keep up that level of good, 3: >this is where changes come in because "omg we need new people watching"<)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2019
    I kind of got that feeling, but I'm still hopeful about the pack's quality.
    They no longer even disguise the wilted lettuce and raw tomatoe in the trailers. But people get stars in their eyes and ignore it. I see it, like if the criminal course was all that it would have been the one they advertised. Probably just more mean interactions already in game. And I didn't see the art courses in the trailer, so I expect a rabbit hole with tasks like paint ten paintings...Redundant, already in game. Surprise me EA. No one noticed it's the same old stationary laptop with a new skin. Boring, since it doesn't perform like the laptop in TS3. Pay for a new laptop skin..wow. How about they add some bhavs to it, and some animations like sitting on the ground with it in our Sims' laps? You know...immersion..aka simulation. And let's just be honest, they won't be that busy or do all those things in trailer nope, but what they will do is stand around and talk. And talk and talk. I saw the wilted lettuce right away because what I see in that trailer was many backdrops and hardly any real buildings...if any. Haven't seen any real pictures of real buildings. The lab for the engineering tract may be the only open/hands on/course there is in this pack or wouldn't they have shown the others? But I'm not into paying again to have my Sim paint and paint and paint in a different lot. That seems redundant since that is all these Sims can do for five years. ETA: It's almost as if $5,000 spent on cycling and zero spent on courses and degrees. Let's hope there are more than only three! And pray there will be more than redundant tasks already in basegame.

Anyone can compare it to TS3's Univer. Life, and notice the lack of new objects, interactions (descriptions) and gameplay. It's supposed to be an EP for goodness sake, it looks more like a possibly a GP with limited animations, new content and or gameplay. Engineering seems to be the only thing they may have done to add new objects to use and create on campus. Then compare that to TS3's EP...sad..

Don't get me started on not being able to build dorms, Maxis, boo!
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes. I did get that jaded "Fast Food Add" feeling.
    I actually think trailers shouldn’t suggest gameplay or animations that aren’t there. Other than that, yes, it’s advertising so it’s ok if they pimp it up a little. But not by suggesting you can actually do stuff that you don’t. That is false advertising. It’s like with this comparison:

big_mac.jpg

Sure reality doesn’t look as attractive as the ad, but as long as everything they say is in that hamburger is actually in there, it’s fine. But don’t sell a cheeseburger when there’s no cheese.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I kind of got that feeling, but I'm still hopeful about the pack's quality.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I actually think trailers shouldn’t suggest gameplay or animations that aren’t there. Other than that, yes, it’s advertising so it’s ok if they pimp it up a little. But not by suggesting you can actually do stuff that you don’t. That is false advertising. It’s like with this comparison:

big_mac.jpg

Sure reality doesn’t look as attractive as the ad, but as long as everything they say is in that hamburger is actually in there, it’s fine. But don’t sell a cheeseburger when there’s no cheese.

lol that real cheeseburger just made me sick, lol. Eww, I don't want to eat that. lol Campbell soup was actually sued for false advertising, many years ago, for putting marbles in the soup to make it look better in a TV ad.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Ads never really appeal to me. The trailers are not what ever gets me to buy any game or pack anyway. I am the type who will wait for it to be out for about 1 year or on a good sale before then. I also look at gameplay footage from "let's plays." My other favorite franchise always launches in Japan first and takes a year to translate, so I see lots of footage before ever buying.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,723 Member
    And that has been a problem for a while now. What I do not like with these trailers are that they are using custom animations to give an impression that sims are reacting in ways that they do not in the game. They are also using sims that they have made themselves, not randomly generated and they are using way more in the shot than there is normally in the game, the game has a restriction of 20 sims per lot.

6xw6GwP.png

And what I really don't like are that those animations are there, we can see them. But they do not add them to the game, so they create them just for the marketing trailer. And they do not give us any options to edit the situational outfits or if the game should pick from existing sims or randomly generate new ones.

• Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    logion wrote: »
    And that has been a problem for a while now. What I do not like with these trailers are that they are using custom animations to give an impression that sims are reacting in ways that they do not in the game. They are also using sims that they have made themselves, not randomly generated and they are using way more in the shot than there is normally in the game, the game has a restriction of 20 sims per lot.

6xw6GwP.png

And what I really don't like are that those animations are there, we can see them. But they do not add them to the game, so they create them just for the marketing trailer. And they do not give us any options to edit the situational outfits or if the game should pick from existing sims or randomly generate new ones.

It's not really a trailer, but most trailers these days aren't... It's basically an animation using game engine graphics.

Everything that happens, the reactions, emotions, behaviours, ETC is all faked.
    raw
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Cinebar wrote: »

big_mac.jpg

lol that real cheeseburger just made me sick, lol. Eww, I don't want to eat that. lol Campbell soup was actually sued for false advertising, many years ago, for putting marbles in the soup to make it look better in a TV ad.
    Actually I think the ‘real’ hamburger there got a photoshop treatment as well that makes it look even worse, the same way the one on the left was manipulated to look better :p The picture is slightly overexposed and out of focus. We’re manipulated this way constantly, everywhere.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    It's just the way modern commercials work, and marketing-wise there is a lot of psychology to that. As a responsible adult (or on the way to being one) and the experience with the product "The Sims 4" you should be aware that you need to take a pinch of salt with what you're presented in a trailer.
    It had some interesting things in it, but I'm waiting for them to show the features in actual gameplay and how well those are developed, to decide how hyped i want to get with it.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Yep. This trailer did nothing to get me excited about the game. I'm just gonna wait to see actual gameplay before I decide to even get a little bit excited about this pack.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    Yes, now that you mention it, that is the vibe of the way they promote the game.

Oddly me and a friend are talking on my pm about some games like Fallout 3 and how much better it was than Fallout 4 or the newest one - he mentioned great things in the 3rd game not found in the 4th or newest in much the same manner people here talk down on Sims 4. So either no company can make a good game after the 3rd one or players of these game see all games after the 3rd as bad. Glad to know it not just Sims 4.

I disagree. There are actually quite a few good fourth games out there. Monster Rancher 4 is probably the best in the series as far as gameplay depth is concerned, Street Fighter IV is a pretty solid fighter, Mega Man 4 is considered among the best of the Classic series, Final Fantasy IV is often listed as a top favorite in the series by fans...So, it's not really a problem with being the fourth game at all.

Honestly, I don't hate TS4. It has its good points, but it also has quite a few flaws, like weak gameplay; poor AI; and several missing, poorly implemented, unfairly nerfed, or half-finished mechanics. It's not suffering from "Fourth Game Syndrome," it's more like "Monster Rancher Evo Syndrome": A later entry into a hit franchise that tries too hard to bring in new fans by making the game easier or more "casual/kid-friendly", but ends up cutting so much of what made the franchise popular and beloved in the first place that it leaves longtime fans dissatisfied with the game to some extent. It's actually an easy trap to fall into, and it's often the result of developers misunderstanding what players actually want out of and like in the series and/or company executives being so desperate to broaden a game's appeal and make more money on it that they order changes that do more harm than good to the game itself and the franchise reputation as a whole.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited October 2019
    After spending nearly 48 years on this planet, I understand how commercials work, so I don’t let the hooks spoil my enjoyment of the actual product anymore. I rely more on the live-streams to see what’s really what. Barbie commercials when I was a kid showed Barbie walking and talking on her own, the real doll never did anything portrayed in the commercials but I still enjoyed the plum out of mine from the age of 6 until I was about 15 years old. :)
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’ve already learned to lower my expectations with TS4, it’s just no fun to keep getting disappointed. Making the best of it and acknowledging what they’re doing better is helping me enjoy the game more these days.

But I did like the trailer. I like the school rivalry concept and I can see how that will be fun to play with, especially with the group tools we have from Get Together. I hope I can avoid spoilers for the secret societies, and I hope they don’t disappoint. Ping pong will be fun and surely kids will be able to play that at home. Soccer “juggling”, too. Hopefully that involves passing the ball between 2 sims. I guess we don’t know if bikes are universal yet (and that shouldn’t have to be questioned, IMO but oh well) but I am glad to know we can live off campus because the first (leaked) description only mentioned dorms, and sometimes I’d like the option of both. I don’t care about attending classes, personally. Hopefully it is an expense that adds more challenge to the game. Maybe I have a little more faith in this iteration now that configurable stairs have been adding in. We shall see.
  • Options
    After spending nearly 48 years on this planet, I understand how commercials work, so I don’t let the hooks spoil my enjoyment of the actual product anymore. I rely more on the live-streams to see what’s really what. Barbie commercials when I was a kid showed Barbie walking and talking on her own, the real doll never did anything portrayed in the commercials but I still enjoyed the plum out of mine from the age of 6 until I was about 15 years old. :)
    That’s really not the same, everybody knows Barbie can’t walk on her own. When you advertise a game and suggest there’s gameplay in there that’s not, that’s like advertising a Barbie doll and selling her without legs. People who are pointing this out are not naive or something, they do know how advertising works. But there is a line, also in advertising.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    The trailers play 0% of the part in my decision of whether or not to buy the pack so they don't really feel like advertisements to me. I thought it was a cute little overview of what sorts of things to generally expect. It didn't excite me, because it's not a pack that I care for. But that's pretty much all I thought about it.

what packs would you like I've seen you talk about a lot of packs you dont want
    I'd really like to know which one you would like I want a family pack @Cupid

I'm not really sure what I want to be honest
    I just haven't been drawn in by the usual ideas that I see thrown around all the time
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,759 Member
    edited October 2019
    Do anything advertise gives you everything? Or are substitute for something else?

I mean do ads ever show that play kitchens "need assembly" or "Batteries Not Included"? Or some toys which are 1 separate part of a larger group of other (Seperated) items shown together. Or stuff will look VERY Big and VERY bright/or move faster but in reality it's dull/slow. Or the toys will be shown only in a fantasy world?

The following information came from research I did for a communications class in college and for some reason I picked the topic of advertising so it comes from my old power point (as does some stuff mentioned above):

Back around 2013 I watch 1.5 hours of YTV and Toon channels (on a Friday I guess) and this is what I found: 58 commercials 10 were food ads
    One restaurant-Chuck E Cheese
    3 adds for different cereals

YTV's Zone had a very sneaky way of promoting junk food- a "Strawberry Rice Krispies challenge on its website

The shows Pokemon and Spongebob had 8 of the 10 food ads

Saturday Morning result of the same 2 channels watched the two channels for 2 hours

55 commericals
    28 were for food-12 for McDonald's
    4 commericals weere only a little bittle healthy- Goldfish crackers, Campbell's Alphabet Soup, Cheese Strings (note I recently been able to have one I kind of like it but have no idea how to operate it), and Black Diamond Cheeses

The ads *not* related to food sold gender sterorype-told girls to look after pets and "be pretty" and shop vs. boys were encourgaged to be "Active" and with "drama"

ie: girls- Barbie tattoos, Little Pet shop play sets, Polly Pocket Design a Mall play set, Barbie's Thumblina DVD and Doll (sold separately)
    ie: boys- Power Rangers, Battleship, Pokemon, Nerf N-Force Swords, Star Wars light Sabres and Bionicle Gladiators.

For either- DVDs of Bolt, Monsters vs. Aliens trailers, Crayola 3D Colouring Set &Glasses, and Kota &Pals (stuffed dinosaurs)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Note as a child up until I was 8 would only watch two channels PBS and TVO Kids (which is just TVO after 6:30pm). The only commercials I saw were the "sponsors" for stuff like Seamese Street and Reading Rainbow, Arthur, and Wishbone, etc on PBS and on that channel one of the sponsors was McDonald's and Mom and I at least would go there or get food there once a week most weeks and if we hadn't for awhile I got upset. I only say I was 8 when I started watching other channel-well Toon- because I remember seeing the Barbie's Sleeping Beauty Doll being advertise but I can't find any proof of it ever having happened.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

this doesn't even include movie product placement-like supposedly Bill&Ted's Adventure Lays&Doritos chips, or Pepsi can in Home Alone, or some Pespi vending machine in some movie I don't know, or Domino's Pizza in TMNT. Or video game placements (in the 90s the VG for TMNT had signs for Pizza Hut).

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    They just need to showcase gameplay over objects a bit better. Take a look at The Sims 2's University trailer. Here, we have subtitles that give some information about gameplay and what to expect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VAJqjR_7H4

There is also the gameplay livestream which the gurus do before the pack releases, which I think is a huge help.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited October 2019
    I see it exactly as a fast food ad. You know you aren’t going to get what’s on the menu but a lower quality product.

Just want to leave this here for those that say that all game companies false advertise regarding actual game play in their trailers, that’s not true, it’s definitely a sims 4 trick.

https://youtu.be/Dw_oH5oiUSE

For those that don’t want to watch this game play trailer (and it was not the only trailer dedicated to gameplay) scroll to the 6 minute mark where it says “This video was captured entirely from in game footage”

Can you imagine the sims 4 doing a six minute video solely on game play captured directly from the source? It wouldn’t look quite so shiny then!

I also disagree strongly that all games that are fourth or fifth in an iteration are bad, again a sims 4 issue. Far Cry 4, 5 did okay and GTA V is the most profitable entertainment title ever and has sold over 95 million copies and still increasing. I totally agree the earlier Fallouts are better than the mess that is Fallout 76 but I cannot agree that all games suffer the more the series goes on. Some do, the sims 4 is a prime example but not all do.
  • Options
    That trailer is totally focused on giving information, instead of just trying to sell it to you. The difference is subtle but definitely there.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited October 2019
    That trailer is totally focused on giving information, instead of just trying to sell it to you. The difference is subtle but definitely there.

That’s true, the game play and game kind of speaks for itself. A sims 4 trailer with no edits and custom poses etc etc would be a very, very hard sell indeed😂

Sims not sitting down at events, but standing or just walking off.
    Ignoring the new shiny counter and sink and walking up two flights of stairs to the bathroom to use that sink

Have to hand it to the marketing team, proof you can’t polish a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 but you can roll it in glitter.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    That’s really not the same, everybody knows Barbie can’t walk on her own. When you advertise a game and suggest there’s gameplay in there that’s not, that’s like advertising a Barbie doll and selling her without legs. People who are pointing this out are not naive or something, they do know how advertising works. But there is a line, also in advertising.

When you’re six you don’t necessarily know that. But eventually you learn to filter hyperbole from actuality and that’s all I was saying. I don’t expect my sims game to play out like the machinima commercial. If I don’t engage my imagination while I play I too get bored quickly. The way I figure it, using my imagination to fill in the story I’m telling on my screen is my sweat equity in the game, so to speak. All video games require a suspension of belief and reality along with a certain amount of self storytelling in order to achieve immersion. At least that’s how I see it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Options
    edited October 2019

When you’re six you don’t necessarily know that. But eventually you learn to filter hyperbole from actuality and that’s all I was saying. I don’t expect my sims game to play out like the machinima commercial. If I don’t engage my imagination while I play I too get bored quickly. The way I figure it, using my imagination to fill in the story I’m telling on my screen is my sweat equity in the game, so to speak. All video games require a suspension of belief and reality along with a certain amount of self storytelling in order to achieve immersion. At least that’s how I see it. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    I never watched ads at 6 because we didn’t have a TV back then, maybe you do think at that age Barbies can walk around and talk to you when it’s on screen, I don’t know. I did have dolls back then and I knew they couldn’t do that, that I had to bring them to life myself (which was the whole fun of it, basically). I think the comparison here is when they show you Barbie Camping Adventures with a pink caravan in it and two tents and a table with little chairs and a picknick set and two lounge chairs, and then you buy it and there’s nothing in there but Barbie, a picknick set and the tent. No caravan, no picknick set, no chairs, no table. That is false advertising.

5JZ57S6.png