Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When did your game go to pieces?

DanceSingLoveLiveDanceSingLoveLive Posts: 159 Member
So, earlier tonight, my game threw something at me that sent every single one of my plans for my Uglacy (Ugly + Legacy) family into complete and utter chaos. I'm completely shocked and need to regroup before I'm able to continue the story but it's a plot twist alright.

An anecdote from me - Back when I was playing Sims 3, I had no idea that meteor showers could occur. There had never been one in my game. I took my third generation legacy heir to the beach with his engaged friends and received a notification, "Michael sees a dark shadow." I thought nothing of it and suddenly everyone in the group was screaming and my legacy died right then and there. It just floored me. But I guess the unexpectedness of it might be the most realistic thing about the Sims.

And I'm curious - Does anyone else have any stories of a time that the game threw something at them so completely ridiculous that it made you shocked and yet love the game even more? I'd love to hear it!
ETERNITY'S UGLACY: eternidadsimstories.wordpress.com
Instagram: eternidad.sim.stories.

Comments

• Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    The fact that Don Lothario and Bailey Thorne are pretty much the same person.

Don is just single and open for the taking ;)
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    Hey!

I have the same shock with the Sims 3! I had no idea of meteors and one struck down my child sim Ashton, it was awful! 😭

In sims 4 yes! If an unexpected death happens (emotional or weather related) I, with a heavy heart let it.

This last gen of my Adlers has been cursed! 😫

Blake: Died by lightening on his teen birthday.

Nadia and Reed died by heat exhaustion is the first time ever it happened in my game, since seasons released and took me by surprise.

Aubree: I do have a mod, so , suppose I brought this one on myself, ( I wanted more realism, I said) but it was set to extreme low chances that this young mom would die during child birth.

Now only Hazel and her dad Declan remains, I am determined to keep them alive!

When these things happen, I have to take a break and regroup too, I usually play another save or another game.
  • Options
    @nerdfashion They are, but at least Don is able to talk to you - The whole "celebrities not bothering with the plebs" thing has always been somewhat annoying. It's not like S3 where you can convince them to talk to you after some work. But I would otherwise like his genes in the family.

@Tixyen Oh my goodness! I'm glad I am not the only one who fell victim to the shocking meteor shower (until I got seasons and used aliens to wreak havoc on the towns mwahah). And a kid?? And death by lightning on a birthday? I haven't had that happen yet... *fingers crossed*

What mod do you have that makes Sim birth deadly/realistic?

• Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    @DanceSingLoveLive

Yes I think it was the first time that I ever had a child die in the sims series!

Yes! I hope it does not happen! Blake was really unlucky he got struck twice and then Grim would not bring him back to life his mother wasn’t pleased, I didn’t know you could shout forbidden words at grim!

There are two much by Little MissSam

One is an add-on in the first link then I’m going to give you that gives a chance for the parent giving birth to die.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175408670453/pregnancy-overhaul-more-this-mod-changes-a-few/amp

And this next one gives chances for the miscarriages and you can set the intensity.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175409258158/miscarriage-chance-abortion-more-miscarriage/amp

Happy simming! 😊
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2019
    TS4 in general is not exiting enough to have things like this happen, but I did like some stuff they put in EP's that left me surprised and actually kind of anxious at times.

When my sim father and his 3 young children went to Selvadorada after I installed the pack, I had no idea this was the most dangerous thing ever and definitely not a child or family friendly 'trip'. I thought of the father sim saying 'Hey kids look! A great new holiday spot, let's go there! I'm gonna treat ya!'
    We arrived, it all looked beautiful and I took some nice pics with the kids. Then the horror began. All my kids kept running around in chaos, either from spiders or fire flies, they all catched on fire one by one with no supplies whatsoever! Sometimes they were lost in the jungle and when i checked n finding them, they were running all the way back and forth to visit the toilet back in the hotel in the middle of the night crawling through the danger zones all over again. I had no idea this was surviving in the wild to the fullest :D Sleeping was no rest either, cause they kept being attacked as 4 sims is a bigger chance than 1 it seemed.
    I think in the end of that night, the father of the children died right in front of them and it ended up in screaming children who were all burned to black. It was horrible actually, but I also laughed, cause for the first time I felt the game was not so childish and threw some pretty harsh life lessons at me.

I did not save the death of their father, cause it was just too horrible. I left the next morning never even one second thinking of returning to that jungle with that particular family.

LOVELY Expansion Pack!
    Post edited by FurSimsOfficial on
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    It hasn't - plays great and as expected.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    WorramotWorramot Posts: 52 Member
    It happened when I thought the cure for becoming a plant sim was keeping the sim away from water and sun. The sim died and I am pretty sure the game auto saved the death too. A big game changer because the sim was a main sim.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Well the plant Sim in Sims 4 is only a temp sim type and not meant as a proper sim. So that was to be expected if you tried making it an actual plant Sim like in Sims 2.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    My game went to pieces when I tried to remove my mods to upload sims to the gallery then put my mods back. Very bad. Don't do this.
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    Umm in my current game it has not. I have complete control over every household and their relationships.

Once I had a legacy and had my Sim marry a town. Really liked the dude. He turned out to be an alien. Took me out of the legacy. Deleted it and moved on. My Sims haven't married a townie since.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    The closest to this actually happened to me in TS3. I had taken a long break from Sims playing altogether. TS4 was already underway but I was wanting to stay with what I was familiar with. That's no dig to TS3, I enjoyed it.

I was gifted a nice gaming laptop and went back to the TS3 basegame. I played this simple family in Sunset Valley. Mom, Dad and daughter. They lived in a typical suburban home. I don't actually remember what the dad did for a living but the mom was Russian. She looked like a Barbie and she was in the military. It was a typical situation of them earning more money and renovating as they raised their beautiful daughter.

The daughter married Mortimer Goth who moved in with them. They'd fallen for each other as teens. Her parents were there to help with the next generation baby. Normal enough.

One day, Mortimer is hanging out with his mother-in-law and one thing leads to another. They have an affair. After that I was thinking, "Nope, nope! This is too messed up." I couldn't go back to the game. Lol. The game was wrecked.

Seriously, I switched to TS4 to get a fresh start and never went back. I mean, I started a new game with a different play style.

I don't blame TS3 for that. Deviant play gone wrong.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    While this one wasn't exactly to pieces it did put a dent in my plans. For context I downloaded a mod where sims had a chance of dying when they get shocked, no second chances, just straight up dying.

My sim's TV stopped working and so he made his servant fix it (couldn't afford buying a new one and he had no repair skill) and the servent ended up getting electrocuted and dying. Great, my servant died and my TV is still broken this is just fine and dandy. So I really wanted my sim to watch TV so I took one of the sims living in my basement and had him try to fix it, he got shocked once and lived but unfortunately he couldn't make magic happen twice as he died the second time. So I got another "guest" living in the basement and they died too. I kept throwing bodies at the TV thinking it would work sometime, but when all they knew was making cupcakes and being used as a food source they got electrocuted and died.

My poor vampire had no servant, no more food, and no TV. All I could imagine was him angrily sitting in the living room staring at the broken penguin TV. Out bloodlusted by a penguin, A PENGUIN.
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    For my snobby super rich family I wanted them to have an only son, but the mom gave birth to twin girls. It took me a long time to figure out how to play the situation out and make it work for my story.

And on another occasion I decided to give this widow a new dream husband + apartment and general improvements in life but after the wedding the new husband died of a heart attack while jogging to get rid of the calories he gained from their wedding cake. It was tragicomic and unexpected seeing her life go down in flames again.
  • Options
    @FurSimsOfficial Holy moly that is absolutely awful and yet, somewhat exciting. I'll keep that in mind for if I ever acquire Jungle Adventures! No kids! I will disagree with you and say that S4 has occasionally thrown some crazy stuff at me, especially recently, but it isn't with the same frequency or sheer, utter randomness as S3 (or S2!).

@Tixyen I'm going back and forth on whether or not to add these to my game, but thank you for providing the links! It certainly would add an element of realism that the game hasn't had up to this point (i.e., childbirth is easy and safe).

@Arzekial With S4, I've found that all of the mod/CC installation has gone very smoothly and been very successful. Game doesn't quit, everything's perfect, etc. S3 on the other hand was really difficult for me to get all of the mods to function and CC to not screw everything up. The reason I switched to S4 was that my game one day just wouldn't open for a year and I was completely out of ideas except a full uninstall/reinstall which I wasn't in the mood for :(

• Options
    @jooxis A heart attack?? Is this from a mod or any EP? That seems like something I would definitely like to add to my game. Does sound very tragic for your sim though :(.

@Vampris I knew that that Penguin TV was evil! Definitely going to think about your unfortunate story every time I have it in one of my kids' rooms!

@ChampandGirlie Autonomous romantic settings on mods and letting freewill cause major issues is actually one of my favorite parts of the game. It can really throw a wrench in all stories or people's lives and if it isn't up to me, it makes the sims have more personalities. Certainly makes my Uglacy fun :), although in your situation, I can definitely see why you wouldn't save the game!

• Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    @jooxis A heart attack?? Is this from a mod or any EP? That seems like something I would definitely like to add to my game. Does sound very tragic for your sim though :(.

Ahh, no mods - elder sims can die of "over exhaustion" (I believe it's called that) from too much jogging/woohooing which I believe is the game's nicer way of saying "heart attack" :)

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Sims 1 - My first sim dying in a stove fire after many hours of gameplay with no saving. Nice introduction to the sims!
    Sims 2 - (my daughters story) Spending a crazy amount of time in CAS to create a character and then the first thing they do is go look up at the sky, killed by a falling satellite.. also hadn't saved.

I know there were more situations with the first two games but I learned to save frequently. I still save pretty frequently.

Sims 4 it's not that there is more things that happen but the memories are more recent so some things that have happened:
    -A fire that took out an important character that I didn't want to die then burned in the backyard for at least 8 in game hours. It was crazy everyone was in a panic the sim had died early on but grimmy just stood there and waited for the fire to go out before doing his thing. Other fires in general have been unexpected.
    -Abductions when I didn't want my male sims to get preggers, ut oh. Usually I just go with it though, sometimes I reload.
    -Embarrassed moods I think use to be really ramped up because I got a lot of sim deaths by mortification this way for the first two years. I remember Don Lothario just blinking out in one save over being rejected, didn't go to pieces over it but it was pretty funny since it was completely unexpected.
    -Oh a my bad, duh one. When ghosts came out I wanted to play one so I got 3 busted radios together, (took quite awhile to get them to bust) then I had my sim try to fix two or three in a row and she died. Then I realized she lived alone and there was no one there to invite her to the household so I quit losing a lot of play time. I think though that you can move a sim into a house where a sim has died and the urn/tombstone will still be there, but I didn't know and was kind of in a panic.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    Two words. Relationship culling!!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member

@Vampris I knew that that Penguin TV was evil! Definitely going to think about your unfortunate story every time I have it in one of my kids' rooms!

@ChampandGirlie Autonomous romantic settings on mods and letting freewill cause major issues is actually one of my favorite parts of the game. It can really throw a wrench in all stories or people's lives and if it isn't up to me, it makes the sims have more personalities. Certainly makes my Uglacy fun :), although in your situation, I can definitely see why you wouldn't save the game!

Yep, I just considered it a plot fail or game over. Lol. It's like, "You have died of dysentery."
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    @jooxis I will keep that in mind for my elder sims. Thanks for letting me know :)

@ChampandGirlie "You have died of dysentery." What a game lol!

@Hermitgirl I would like it to be a little easier for sims to die via electrocution - But I had no idea that you could die via overemotions and it threw me one day (didn't save). My favorite death is definitely via cowplant :).

• Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • Options
    noodlemamanoodlemama Posts: 37 Member
    The only thing I can think of was in the TS3. I was playing a legacy and had spent a lot of time with my teen heir building up his skills so he could get a good job and a scholarship to university. He had a murphy bed to save space and then it fell on him and killed him! I was devastated so much time wasted haha!
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    A few unexpected things have happened in my game over the past 5 years but my most memorable ones are:

My first attempt at the "I'm a Lover" challenge, my first generation Sim's husband cheated on her with the doctor who delivered their twins...after she had the babies. Then when their twins aged up to young adults, one of the twins starved to death. She didn't get to the fridge in time after coming home from work. Needless to say, her twin sister had a rough life from birth. I went with it though and ended up making the sister adopt a bunch of kids to fill the void of losing her sister.

Another sim I had that was part of a roommates household, got abducted by aliens 5 or 6 times, resulting in two sons. He was a single father for most of his first son's life. He then met and married an alien. They had a daughter, oddly enough, the daughter turned out to be human. Then the 6th abduction happened and he had his second son.

Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    edited October 2019
    Oh, I just love when the game throws curveballs at you. It can be super annoying at the time, but I'm able to look back and appreciate it later on...most of the time. :lol:

The one moment from TS4 that stands out the most to me was the time one of my sims saw her "best friend" kissing her boyfriend at a nightclub. Mind you, this was not the first time she'd caught her boyfriend being flirty with someone else in front of her, but this occasion specifically stands out to me due to the way my sim fell apart over it. In the moment, she stomped right up to him, insulted him, gave him the cold shoulder, everything. Her "friend" wandered off and probably flirted with someone else, I honestly don't know. Anyway, her relationship with her boyfriend took a massive hit, but there was still a little bit of green and pink in those bars. I didn't realize how much she must have really loved him until I saw her go home that night and sob in the shower and in her sleep. It was the first time I'd seen a sim do those things, and it honestly broke my heart for her. I even recall tears welling up in my eyes because I could only imagine how painful a betrayal like that would feel. I think that was one of the moments that made me appreciate the game so much; because how amazing is it that even a fake bundle of pixels can make the player feel for them?

The other moment that comes to mind took place in TS3. I was playing this sim who lived in Bridgeport and quickly became a five-star celebrity. I tried pairing her off with multiple singles, but nothing ever seemed to click. However, the one sim who immediately took an interest in her even before she became a celebrity was the infamous Matthew Hamming. They exchanged a few love letters here and there, autonomously flirted, gave each other flowers, etc. For a while, I didn't pursue a relationship with him because I knew it'd be near-impossible with his noncommittal trait, so they remained good friends who occasionally flirted and nothing else. She eventually started dating and living with a sim I created for her, but they didn't seem to mesh too well either. In addition to having not the strongest relationship with her boyfriend, her name was being dragged through the mud repeatedly after she kept being falsely accused by the paparazzi. I suppose I kinda snapped when I felt my sim would have, as I decided she'd really give 'em a scandal. One night, she went over to Matthew's house and started flirting with him. He was receptive (no surprise there), and they eventually woohooed (ahem, tried for a baby) in his shower. It wasn't long after that that her boyfriend found out, the tabloids spread the gossip, and she found out she was pregnant. Her boyfriend autonomously broke up with her in the middle of a celebrity's party, but that wasn't the part that shocked me. The day after she told Matthew she was pregnant, she got a random call while she was home. It was Matthew, saying that he found an amazing job in another town with "great schools" (anyone else see the hilarious irony there? :joy:) and that he was moving. I kid you not, my jaw must have been hanging open for a good five minutes. I wasn't even mad, honestly. I was just so stunned. Maybe it was coincidence...but I like to think it wasn't. :wink:

(Sorry my comment's so long. I just went into a lot of detail. :lol:)
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2019
    @Vampris: Would you please tell me which mod you are talking about?

I had this happen when my favourite Sim died from eating Pufferfish Nigri during her brother's birthday party shortly after she gave birth to her third child.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen