Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I Think Pre-Teens Wouldn't be Fun

Comments

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited April 2018
    We don't need pre-teens, we need teens to be more distinct from Young Adults. A University-style pack would do this - like, it's an active job for teenagers at college. You can't earn much money but it's a great place to level any skill depending on the classes you take.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited April 2018
    double post...
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    We don't need pre-teens, we need teens to be more distinct from Young Adults. A University-style pack would do this - like, it's an active job for teenagers at college. You can't earn much money but it's a great place to level any skill depending on the classes you take.
    You lost me. We don't need preteens because teens could have an active job at college to feel more unique. :# We need preteens because teens have skipped over everything that makes a teen feel like a teen including size and there is no way to truly play as a younger teen because they are adults renamed. You even listing a job for a teen goes to show you really don't get the type of game play people who want preteens are actually looking for and are just looking for more adult type things to do on your teens.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    HelpThisModSimmerHelpThisModSimmer Posts: 18 New Member
    i agree, we should NOT have pre-teens they are not needed.. and as @FloppyFish said some of the features you would want could be added 2 either a child or teen. #NOPRE-TEENS
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Any other life stages outside of the ones already in the game are unnecessary and unneeded as they would slow down the flow of the game. If you want to watch an infant grow up realistically, Go have one in real life.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited April 2018
    Woolenhat wrote: »
    I don't WANT PRE-TEENS!
    so now get me I love toddlers but we go through hell with them, thew kids aren't they going wash the dishes like befor- STOP MAKING A MESS!!!
    FINALLY teens some RESPONSIBILITY
    *teen has mood swing*

I DO NOT NEED AMOTHER LIFESTAGE THAT NEEDS PARENTING!
    (I sound like a horrible person)
    :D:D:D:D:D

Hi :)
    You don't have to buy the pack.
    As its unlikely they would patch them in.

Do you really need to shout so much just to make your point.

Any life stage is completely optional to play.
    Same as parenting is optional.
    I can't stand teens because of how they look odd with this game. So I age them up.

People makes problems for his/her self with life stages when they don't have to play them.
    They could save themseves issues by simply aging them up.

They could make them into a fun pack. It amazes me when people for example say they won't be fun without ever seeing them!
    I respect you don't want them tho ;)

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    edited August 2018
    Any other life stages outside of the ones already in the game are unnecessary and unneeded as they would slow down the flow of the game. If you want to watch an infant grow up realistically, Go have one in real life.

Many people play the sims to experience things that they can't in real life. Not everyone who wants kids is able to have kids :'(

• Options
    ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    edited August 2018
    Personally, I think it's got skeevy connotations. Players concerned with "puberty" kind of creeps me out a little. Why the focus on puberty? Pre-teens are just beginning puberty, so what is that going to mean for the changing bodies, particularly little girls? Now I've got to play games with breast budding? I know it's a normal part of life, it's natural, but a focus on that very small blip in our lifetime seems uncool to me. It'd be one thing if the sims gradually grew up the way people do, because maybe it would be graceful and not awkward. The way ageing up happens, though, even with more life stages?-- it would be even more awkward than real life, watching that happen. And just logistically, I don't want to celebrate the child's birthday two days in a row if you make the preteen stage last all of one day (for lifetime scale).

You make a lot of good points and I agree. Most of what people say they want in preteens is achievable in either children or teens. Personally I count preteens as just children, myself. To me, it's taken care of already. There are children in the game, and the sims are clearly preteens right before their teen birthday. Easy peasy. The only unique thing about the preteen life stage, as far as I can tell, would be a transitional stage in body development and I'm happier without that brief passing stage included in my game. I have no desire to focus on that, it won't enrich my gameplay and I don't need it. My gameplay isn't lacking to play children as if they were preteens as I already do, because preteens are in fact just children.
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    I would like the addition of there being preteens provided they just divided the current teen stage into two halves and made one half the preteen stage and the other the teen stage. For example, in “normal” lifespan the current teen stage lasts 13 days. So, they could make the preteen stage 7 days long and shorten the teen stage to 7 days.

I don’t, however, want it to take any longer for my sims to reach young adulthood. It takes long enough as it is!
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    They need to make teens interesting before even bothering adding pre-teens IMO...
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Personally, I think it's got skeevy connotations. Players concerned with "puberty" kind of creeps me out a little.
    You're not the only one feeling this way.

I know it's a normal part of life, it's natural, but a focus on that very small blip in our lifetime seems uncool to me.
    As a stage, it'd be shorter than the toddler stage. It's a micro blip.
    And just logistically, I don't want to celebrate the child's birthday two days in a row if you make the preteen stage last all of one day (for lifetime scale).
    If your sims had a few kids, you'd be having a birthday every day!
    Personally I count preteens as just children, myself. To me, it's taken care of already.
    You're not alone in thinking like that.

There are children in the game, and the sims are clearly preteens right before their teen birthday.
    Oh no! Don't use logic!
    Pre Teen literally means before teen. A child fits that definition nicely.
    Even if people were calling them tweens, then we'd have a more specific age range, 10-12, but it's still just a micro blip.
    The only unique thing about the preteen life stage, as far as I can tell, would be a transitional stage in body development and I'm happier without that brief passing stage included in my game. I have no desire to focus on that, it won't enrich my gameplay and I don't need it. My gameplay isn't lacking to play children as if they were preteens as I already do, because preteens are in fact just children.
    Before they even get to the transitional stuff, it would just result in the developers wasting their time repeating existing animations. I'd rather they spend more time improving the stages we already have.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DanaanhornDanaanhorn Posts: 38 Member
    I would like to comment on your puberty point where in you say that no one under 12-13 starts puberty( i do understand your more expensive to do a pre-puberty and post-puberty preteen, this isn't a statement about that) but for girls at-least, they can start puberty anywhere from age 8 to age 14, mostly falling under the 9-12 range. its only for boys who don't start under they're 13-15.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Danaanhorn wrote: »
    mostly falling under the 9-12 range.
    No. The current average is 10.5, yet the average 150 years ago was 16.6
    Danaanhorn wrote: »
    its only for boys who don't start under they're 13-15.
    Not true, the onset of puberty in boys has dropped to 11.

Puberty is occurring alarmingly early in modern children, what used to be considered to be precocious puberty is becoming "normal".
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DanaanhornDanaanhorn Posts: 38 Member
    > @Movotti said:
    > Danaanhorn wrote: »
    >
    > mostly falling under the 9-12 range.
    >
    >
    >
    > No. The current average is 10.5, yet the average 150 years ago was 16.6
    > Danaanhorn wrote: »
    >
    > its only for boys who don't start under they're 13-15.
    >
    >
    >
    > Not true, the onset of puberty in boys has dropped to 11.
    >
    > Puberty is occurring alarmingly early in modern children, what used to be considered to be precocious puberty is becoming "normal".

either way, hes still wrong about puberty not happening during the preteen stage.
  • Options
    Deena168Deena168 Posts: 1 New Member
    Personally, I think it's got skeevy connotations. Players concerned with "puberty" kind of creeps me out a little. Why the focus on puberty? Pre-teens are just beginning puberty, so what is that going to mean for the changing bodies, particularly little girls? Now I've got to play games with breast budding? I know it's a normal part of life, it's natural, but a focus on that very small blip in our lifetime seems uncool to me. It'd be one thing if the sims gradually grew up the way people do, because maybe it would be graceful and not awkward. The way ageing up happens, though, even with more life stages?-- it would be even more awkward than real life, watching that happen. And just logistically, I don't want to celebrate the child's birthday two days in a row if you make the preteen stage last all of one day (for lifetime scale).

You make a lot of good points and I agree. Most of what people say they want in preteens is achievable in either children or teens. Personally I count preteens as just children, myself. To me, it's taken care of already. There are children in the game, and the sims are clearly preteens right before their teen birthday. Easy peasy. The only unique thing about the preteen life stage, as far as I can tell, would be a transitional stage in body development and I'm happier without that brief passing stage included in my game. I have no desire to focus on that, it won't enrich my gameplay and I don't need it. My gameplay isn't lacking to play children as if they were preteens as I already do, because preteens are in fact just children.

Forgive me for bringing a dead thread back to life.

[b]Personally, I think it's got skeevy connotations. Players concerned with "puberty" kind of creeps me out a little.
    [/b]

That’s because you’re uncomfortable with the topic of puberty. Just because someone talks about puberty doesn’t make them creepy or weird. I’m sure that’s not their intent. They’re simply giving puberty-based ideas. I think players are concerned with puberty is because puberty is an important stage in life. Yes, your body changing in many ways. People associate puberty with preteens because like you said, it’s the beginning of puberty for them.

[b]Why the focus on puberty? Pre-teens are just beginning puberty, so what is that going to mean for the changing bodies, particularly little girls? Now I've got to play games with breast budding? I know it's a normal part of life, it's natural, but a focus on that very small blip in our lifetime seems uncool to me.[/b]

Puberty isn’t just breast development and bodily changes. There’s height growth, voice deepening, mood swings, pimples/acne...you get the point. Puberty isn’t a “small blip” in real life. It’s important human development. Of course Maxis isn’t going to add gradual puberty. They can’t even add gradual height.

[b]You make a lot of good points and I agree. Most of what people say they want in preteens is achievable in either children or teens. Personally I count preteens as just children, myself. To me, it's taken care of already. There are children in the game, and the sims are clearly preteens right before their teen birthday. Easy peasy. The only unique thing about the preteen life stage, as far as I can tell, would be a transitional stage in body development and I'm happier without that brief passing stage included in my game. I have no desire to focus on that, it won't enrich my gameplay and I don't need it. My gameplay isn't lacking to play children as if they were preteens as I already do, because preteens are in fact just children.
    [/b]
    You’re right. Preteens are children. However, there are different kinds of children. Like there’s different kinds of teens. There are younger children, older children, younger teens, older teens. There can be sub-categories (wish we had that in the Sims 4). Preteens can be older children. We don’t really know how old children in the Sims 4 are supposed to represent. I’m guessing 5-12 years old.

If we did had sub categories for life stages it would be:

Infancy

-Newborn (0-2 months)
    -Infant (3-12 months)
    -Toddler (12 months-3 years)

Childhood

-Early Child (3-5 years)
    -Middle Child (5-8 years)
    -Preteen (or tween whatever you prefer) (
    9-13 years)

Teens

-Early teens (13-15 years)
    -Mid teens (15-17 years)
    -Late teens (17/18-19 years)

Adulthood

-Early/Young Adulthood (19-35 years)
    -Middle Adulthood (or middle age, 35-65 years)
    -Old Age (65+)

I would’ve preferred something like that. Maybe even an option to enable or disable life stages we find annoying or unnecessary. Some people find babies useless because they don’t have much to do. Babies are much more active in real life.
  • Options
    jooxisjooxis Posts: 515 Member
    I wouldn't want preteens added. But I would love for existing teens to look a bit younger and shorter.
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I'd rather they overhaul kids and toddlers
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    There’s no need for preteens imho. I just want more activities for kids and teens!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I agree and personally think it would be more valuable to focus on missing gameplay. To add more life stages wouldn't fill that gap.
    The only thing I would love to see is an official height slider. Not all teens are short and some are taller than their parents. I love the height sluder mod but it clips of course.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    jadonbakesjadonbakes Posts: 294 Member
    First, I don't want pre-teens.

But, I would argue that the teens represented in the lifestage in Sims 4 are late teens (16-18), leaving a bit of a gap between child sims (which are maybe 11 at the very oldest). I don't see any benefit to adding early teens (or "pre-teens" if you must), except that they'll be a little shorter.

Maybe the people who want pre-teens should actually be asking for customizable height... but you didn't hear it from me.

However Middle-age sims? Now there's a new lifestage. We should all get behind that.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I know this is an old thread, but to add my 2 cents.

I don't think we need pre-teens, only because I think the current children look like pre-teens. I do think we need younger kids however, closer to 6-7, not to mention infants, (but that's another story). I just can't see how a pre-teen would differ from our current "child" stage which looks to be 9 or 10 already. If the kids looked younger, then I would, but they look old enough to be pre-teens already, so I don't see how they'd be any different. Meanwhile, our current "children" are very mature and self-sufficient and feel like short adults more than actual kids. If anything, I think we need more attention for the younger life stages, not the older ones (except elders of course), hence why I think having younger kids would be better than having a pre-teen stage which, again, I can't see as being any different than the current "children".
  • Options
    luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,649 Member
    More is usually better is how I usually feel about things. Personally though, I'm fine with it either way since I'm not a family player and don't really play with sims that aren't young adult or older.

The way things have been going lately though, EA wants content pushed out the door as fast as possible. So I seriously doubt they will be adding any more life stages. If anything, they may take some away to make it easier on them. They already made teens the same size as adults so that they don't have to spend more time making teen sized clothing.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    We really don't need preteens, I agree with the OP. Anything that a preteen does can be added to either the child or teen ages. And we desperately need a teen overhaul.
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I honestly don't know why this is even a debate? I mean we all want things in the sims game that other people may or may not want but that doesn't mean we have to go on strike when we learn someone else wants something that we don't want. I don't play with a lot of features that have come in the game but I understand that other people do. I understand that other people have different play styles than my own and that not everything the sims team makes is just for me but for a large group of people. So while I understand why some of you may not want tweens I can't understand why you would want other people to not enjoy something just because you wouldn't.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    REALISTIC AGING is not for "entertainment" but for realism in the gameplay. So our sims dont seem like fake little virtual characters. I want to see ralistic aging not huge leaps from one age to another. But they should add that to SIMS 5.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds