Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bug fixes vs new content?

rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
edited September 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Clearly, this is gonna be unrealistic, but lets pretend that there was a choice. Lets say that the Sims team said they can continue on with making new content like they are doing now, or they can take a year off of creating new content and focus heavily on bug fixing. Which would you choose?

Bug fixes vs new content? 86 votes

Continue on with creating new content
32%
CamkatPlayerSinger2010Writin_Regsimgirl1010mock68VageniusRebeccaThurstontaydevKhrisstyneBabykittyjadeChampandGirlieGorgeoiousbixterspammiechickCandiGir1ChadSims2SimsLovinLycanEnkiSchmidtthatsnotswegGamingTweety 28 votes
Take a year off of creating new content to focus heavily on bug fixing
67%
GoldmoldarKita5399franka44021lisamwittsuetoopAlrynnPaigeisin5AalyahReedBagoas77fruitsbasket101ApparentlyAwesomealanmichael1KalaniCoolJoAnne65HannaZojasazzieJthecatsredLogisitcsJultan3LoriTSp 58 votes

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Hm. I'm not sure how to vote here because my brain goes: well, that's not gonna happen. Less so because they might not want to stop new releases and more because no packs doesn't equal bug fixing abilities.

The thing is that whatever content is going to be released in the next year is already being worked on (it takes a while to build things). There's also the way the teams are likely set up; bug fixing is done by different people than content creation, especially design.
    I'd happily give up packs for bug fixes if that's even possible, it's just that that would likely leave the design and animation people in limbo.

Slower pack release to allow more resources being dedicated to QA and optimization though.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The main thing I want now is overhauled babies, and that would only come from new content. That said, I swore the team who made the new content and those who "fixed" bugs were separate teams. So realistically one shouldn't effect the other.

For me, the best hypothetical choice would be take a break from making packs and just fix bugs and add BG updates.
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    edited September 2019
    Head says of course fixing bugs is more important. But seeing that I haven't updated in two months so they cannot take away a gameplay feature I guess that speaks louder about how I really feel in this matter. There are a few bugs that affect me (like npc using pool floaties freezing the game at beaches), but getting them fixed is not worth no longer having access to wading outside Sulani. If I ever update again, then only for outstanding new content, either payed dlc or free stuff. But not for bugfixes.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    They aren't taking a year off obviously. They should just hire more people to take a hard look at the code and fix the bugs and errors. Because the game is starting to get as buggy as TS3. As a matter fact there are more less working features in TS4 right now, than in TS3. TS3 is mostly routing errors, poor optimisation and minor random bugs, in TS4 there are features that straight up don't work.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    They have two totally separate teams for bug fixes vs new content. You want them to lay people off for a year just for bug fixes? That doesn't sound fair.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I don't think fixing bugs needs to come at the expense of producing new content.

I want to see some stuff that hasn't been done before as well as stuff that has.

But yes, I want bug fixes as much as anybody. I mean, I have the Moschino pack mainly for the new career. (I'm rotating with other sims right now.)
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    No. No stopping the flow of new content for a year of every team member just working on bug. I still don't have my freakin' Werewolves. That's reason enough not to support such a pause in development.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I am at a point where I'm having to focus on hunting down and installing mods to fix the massive amount of bugs in the game. So much so, that I don't end up playing for long once I'm done installing. I'm OK waiting for new content if it means the game is more stable, and the sims actually act like they have brains.
  • Options
    thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    No. No stopping the flow of new content for a year of every team member just working on bug. I still don't have my freakin' Werewolves. That's reason enough not to support such a pause in development.

Though the lack of werewolves is making me rethink that lol.

Maybe...release the werewolves and THEN pause :p
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited October 2019
    hell, take 10 years
    Post edited by Bagoas77 on
  • Options
    franka44021franka44021 Posts: 125 Member
    I love new content, but some of the current bugs are starting to halt my play. I, too, realize that these are two different departments, but the bugs are stopping me from playing so new content is really not helping me at the moment. I am actually waiting until the Moschino and Realm of Magic packs are patched before buying, because I am tired of the large amount of bugs with new games.

Love this game and Happy Simming.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Every game out there in the gaming world is released with glitches. We don't expect EA, or any other company to publish a perfect game because there is no such thing as perfection. This fight/argument over new content vs bug fixes has been going on for nearly two decades. But I have to say the bugs we found in the packs EA released this year have been pretty bad to deal with. How many of us are waiting for the bugs from Get To Work, Get Together, Dine Out, Vampires, Island Living and even Seasons to be fixed, and how long ago were a few of those packs released? That is the root of the problem. The team responsible for fixing these new and old bugs gives us a handful of fixes when we're dealing with a truckload of problems. And how can they catch up when EA is pushing out a new pack every couple of months? The bug fixing team has a list of bugs that goes back to when Sims4 was new. That's why I am currently using almost eighty mods. A few of those are not bug fixes. I'd say 56 are bug fixes, a few are for toning down some of the autonomy annoyances and maybe three are gameplay mods that add what I feel is missing from the game. I just started using gameplay mods and I haven't decided if I will keep them because I recently had to install a mod to help with managing my mods, which has become a time consuming hassle.

I do not expect Sims4 to be perfect. But I do expect the teams to communicate in a way that produces fewer bugs in new packs, less breaking of old fixes, and less time passing before we see fixes for new packs. I am not in favor of paying for a new pack then finding out it has a slew of problems that might never be resolved unless the modding community steps in and takes care of it. The solution is not for EA to stop development of new packs. But EA does need to pay attention to the fact the Simming community is losing its love for Sims4. I will not be updating my game again for awhile. I was ready to stop updating until the update with the customization tool for staircases dropped. Yeah, they reeled me in again, and I am again waiting for a few mods to be updated. But, to me, that staircase update alone was worth the hassle even though I passed on RoM. Will I find something in the pre-ep update in November that I need then update again? Even if there is something in that update I have been waiting for, I won't be updating again until after the holidays. I have lost weeks worth of gaming time this year waiting for key mods to be updated. I'm at the point where I simply want to play.

EA has released thirty packs for Sims4. And if each pack introduced five new bugs, the fifty-six mods I am using seems pretty minor compared to what is left that needs to be fixed. That number increases when we add in the various other glitches introduced through pre-pack updates. Call me crazy, but that seems like a problem the teams should be concentrating on to resolve, while developing ways to keep the number of new glitches down to one or two per new pack. Broken features in new packs, features that were the backbone of the pack itself, should never happen. Once the uni pack is released every Sims4 team needs to buckle down and get to work on fixing some of the major glitches. It is becoming nearly impossible to be excited about new packs when we have this sinking feeling none of those will not bring more problems into the game. So maybe there does need to be fewer new pack releases and more updates with bug fixes for a few months or even longer if that's what it takes to repair the game. EA isn't doing themselves a favor by publishing an inferior product.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Look at the state Maxis left Sims 3 in. Now ask yourself why you think they'd do any better for Sims 4? The only reason I can think that they may do better is because consoles can't use mods. Two-to-one there will be a Sims 4 mod workshop (or whatever it's called) on for xbox soon.

Maxis, since Sims 2, has required mods to fix their games. Sims 3 is far worse than Sims 2, and the couple of patches that have been released since Sims 4 has been released have mainly been to connect Sims 3 to Origin (fortunately, those updates is avoidable provided you didn't buy your content directly from Origin). Think about it -- they released patches after Sims 3 was no longer in production to try to force people to use their storefront, but they had no interest in all in attempting to fix some of the bugs.

It doesn't matter whether I want new content or bug fixes -- bug fixes will be incomplete, and more and more packs will be built on a buggy foundation leading to more instability.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    @Felicity I saw a discussion in the console category last week where EA, Sony and Microsoft are negotiating about including modding capabilities for console players. It won't be long before the console version of Sims4 has mods. And it was a shame they left Sims3 hanging while still needing so many fixes. EA had the opportunity to do things differently with Sims4 and threw it away. All in an effort to grab their share of the mobile and console markets for the Sims franchise. Such a waste because they could have done Sims4 much better if it had not been used as the template for a mobile and a console game.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    When I hear about bugs a lot of it seems to be with career content which I don't care about at all and never use. Really besides musical chairs a bug with singing and some Dine Out issues I have not really experienced any so bring on the new content they eventually have to come out with a good theme again I hope.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    CandiGir1CandiGir1 Posts: 64 Member
    6rZ8g8R.jpg
    6qrDi11.png
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    New content? If it only cas stuff and bb objecy i wont call it a content.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Hm. I'm not sure how to vote here because my brain goes: well, that's not gonna happen. Less so because they might not want to stop new releases and more because no packs doesn't equal bug fixing abilities.

The thing is that whatever content is going to be released in the next year is already being worked on (it takes a while to build things). There's also the way the teams are likely set up; bug fixing is done by different people than content creation, especially design.
    I'd happily give up packs for bug fixes if that's even possible, it's just that that would likely leave the design and animation people in limbo.

Not if you put them to work fixing the messes they make. There are so many bugs, glitches, things that don't work as they should, sims and features that are sub-standard that we could have an all hands evolution for quite some time.

• Options

Not if you put them to work fixing the messes they make. There are so many bugs, glitches, things that don't work as they should, sims and features that are sub-standard that we could have an all hands evolution for quite some time.

Ah yes, let's put the painter in charge of fixing the plumbing in the house.
    They're two different things and not every person involved in the creation of the game has the same and interchangeable skills.

They need more people in QC who know what they're doing, but the shuffling of staff between departments isn't how it works.
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    edited September 2019
    Alright guys, just a reminder that this is an unrealistic poll. Of course, the team have people in different departments and with different skills, and that's why I mentioned, "lets pretend." The idea of this poll is basically to see which would you prefer, no new content for a year so that the team can heavily focus on bug fixing or continue on with creating new content. Lets keep it clean with no arguments guys. Again, this is just a pretend scenario poll just to see what you guys would prefer. Happy simming! :)
  • Options
    @rjssim apologies.

In that kinda ideal world, I would hope that it wouldn't take an entire year to fix existing bugs, what with all the developers working on them ;)
  • Options
    VageniusVagenius Posts: 487 Member
    There's always going to be bugs. Every game I play has bugs and every forum in every game I play discusses this same situation. Let's say they did take a year off to fix the bugs. They come out with new content and who's to say that those bugs plus new ones aren't going to just pop right back up? They should at least try right? They can do both. Work on bugs and release new stuff. There's always going to be bugs. Maybe I don't have as many bugs as others have or maybe the mods I use fix them, or I don't play as much as others idk. The only bug to me that's annoying that I don't believe they know how to fix is the restaurant taking a whole day to visit and the sims not sitting down to eat.

New content > bug fixing. I see a lot more complaining in these forums about the game needing more content than I do about bug fixes.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The game is too full of game breaking bugs. If I require mods, just to fix the bugs, than the core game is what needs fixing.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2019
    I rather they fix majority of the bugs as the more packs you pile on, the more bugs you have to fix and more code one has to comb through as it in just the base game no more and possibly the bugs might acculmulate to an point where the game becomes unplayable. Only way one can do both if they fix majority of the bugs and for me it is essential to squash any bug or at least the major ones before injecting new data.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Look at the state Maxis left Sims 3 in. Now ask yourself why you think they'd do any better for Sims 4? The only reason I can think that they may do better is because consoles can't use mods. Two-to-one there will be a Sims 4 mod workshop (or whatever it's called) on for xbox soon.

Maxis, since Sims 2, has required mods to fix their games. Sims 3 is far worse than Sims 2, and the couple of patches that have been released since Sims 4 has been released have mainly been to connect Sims 3 to Origin (fortunately, those updates is avoidable provided you didn't buy your content directly from Origin). Think about it -- they released patches after Sims 3 was no longer in production to try to force people to use their storefront, but they had no interest in all in attempting to fix some of the bugs.

It doesn't matter whether I want new content or bug fixes -- bug fixes will be incomplete, and more and more packs will be built on a buggy foundation leading to more instability.

I agree with this post as there is more than one program intertwined within one main program.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen