Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Opinions of Familiars?

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I like them, but I never bother using them because they're so irrelevant. Tbh, I'd gladly give them all up for one familiar -say, a dragon- that I can hatch, raise and take care of.

Me too, but that would probably require it to be a member of your household. So, four spellcasters and their four familiars.

What I have been thinking about is with Vintage Glamour, we got a live-in butler that we can interact with but not play, however, he is not a member of our household. Cats & Dogs gave us pet cats and dogs that we can interact with but not play, however, they are a member of our family. Where is the difference? Why couldn't cats and dogs be made like butlers? I know butlers can't be created in CAS but you can edit them in CAS. Cats and dogs could still be created in CAP but go to the adoption service. When you move your sims into their house, call or go to your computer to adopt a cat or dog. The pet you created will be one of the choices and you adopt the pet you created in CAP.

Maybe they can do farm animals like they did butlers and we can interact with them but not make them a member of your sims household.
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    They're about what I expected from a game pack. It would be cool if they did more but there isn't really much that I would have sacrificed to make them a higher priority.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    I think they are super cute, and adorable myself. I love using the dragon one and the raven, who I had to name Edgar Allen Poe
  • Options
    Montrase102Montrase102 Posts: 330 Member
    My spellcaster found his cute, but it got boring very quick. I decided to get him a cat and make it his familiar, and at least he can cuddle and pet that.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I like them, but I never bother using them because they're so irrelevant. Tbh, I'd gladly give them all up for one familiar -say, a dragon- that I can hatch, raise and take care of.

Me too, but that would probably require it to be a member of your household. So, four spellcasters and their four familiars.

What I have been thinking about is with Vintage Glamour, we got a live-in butler that we can interact with but not play, however, he is not a member of our household. Cats & Dogs gave us pet cats and dogs that we can interact with but not play, however, they are a member of our family. Where is the difference? Why couldn't cats and dogs be made like butlers? I know butlers can't be created in CAS but you can edit them in CAS. Cats and dogs could still be created in CAP but go to the adoption service. When you move your sims into their house, call or go to your computer to adopt a cat or dog. The pet you created will be one of the choices and you adopt the pet you created in CAP.

Maybe they can do farm animals like they did butlers and we can interact with them but not make them a member of your sims household.
    Yeah, that's how I imagined it. In Sims 1, you could hatch and raise a pet dragon without it taking up a slot in your household.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I'm just disappointed that when I set my cat to be my familiar he isnt following me around like the normal familiars would do. All he does is sparkles, meows, and just doesn't move.

Or maybe its just my cat...
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member

A dragon would be amazing.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

That would be cool as long as the assigned familiar didn't change when you switch household. The butler switching antics really annoys me.
  • Options
    I'm just disappointed that when I set my cat to be my familiar he isnt following me around like the normal familiars would do. All he does is sparkles, meows, and just doesn't move.

Cats do have a mind of their own. :)
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member

I felt the same way. I had created a Bastet just for this, and was going to use her, then it was going to not work the same as the other familiars. My sims travel too much around and I did not want to actually have a pet just yet, not til much later after they have settled down more. I wish they could fix it where if you make it a familiar it can turn into the same as the other familiars
  • Options
    Steve StormSteve Storm Posts: 106 Member
    It would have been nice if a "manage familiars" option had been included in the pack. The only way that I could find to see my list of familiars is to use the summon/dismiss option, which makes it kind of tedious to remove duplicates - one at a time... :/
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I pulled my cat to the magic realm and they kind of sat around the portal at first ... then I went to duel with a sim and they came running up it was kind of funny how they beelined to my sim actually. After many duels in a row (with sims moving from place to place) they kind of stayed where we started dueling and dozed off once but I figure they were still in range to help if my sim died. I'm still kind of testing with it though.. mostly I want to be sure they can do what the others can.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I pulled my cat to the magic realm and they kind of sat around the portal at first ... then I went to duel with a sim and they came running up it was kind of funny how they beelined to my sim actually. After many duels in a row (with sims moving from place to place) they kind of stayed where we started dueling and dozed off once but I figure they were still in range to help if my sim died. I'm still kind of testing with it though.. mostly I want to be sure they can do what the others can.

Cat/dog familiars will always teleport to your sim after a while. Like when my sim goes out on a date with her bf, sometime later, Salem will just teleport to whatever restaurant they're at and hang out :D I think it's cute.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Cat/dog familiars will always teleport to your sim after a while. Like when my sim goes out on a date with her bf, sometime later, Salem will just teleport to whatever restaurant they're at and hang out :D I think it's cute.

Oh I've been dismissing mine except when needed (dueling). Maybe I'll keep mine on the job for longer periods.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

Oh I've been dismissing mine except when needed (dueling). Maybe I'll keep mine on the job for longer periods.

I have Salem summoned 24/7 xD I kinda like the fact that he sparkles :/
  • Options
    liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    For me, they're a little lacking. Don't get me wrong, I love how cute some of them are and I really like the fact they made something for everyone and every Sim. However... I was expecting a little more than a glorified death flower. :( The only things I can do with my familiars on my Spellcaster is dismiss them or rename them, I can only have one at a time (which is ok, but imagine having a dragon, bunnerfly and leaf bat at the same time?!) and as far as I know, they only do 3 things total: Save your sim from death (this I haven't tested as I dismissed my familiar before my Sim died of magical overload), boost exp gain rate on your spellcaster (not 100% sure about this), and "talk" via notifications that you may or may not miss in the middle of the game.

I kinda wanted to be able to pet them and feed them (which I understand wouldn't work for all of them), have them do more than just be like the streaming drone following your Sim around. As a Sims 1 player who loved the dragons in that game, I was really excited when I learned dragons would be an option. I spent like 3 days in-game waiting for the dragon to come up, and while it's a perfect dragon for Sims 4's art style, it could've been so much more than it is.

However, this is just what I've experienced, and I'm curious what your opinions are on the subject, especially as I haven't found any threads about them!

I'm pretty sure they mostly added the familiars, so people wouldn't complain that only people who own cats and dogs would be able to have a familiar. I do wish they'd added more interactions with them. They look cute and all, but it would have been nicer if there had been at least a few interactions available with them. Even just simple things like 'feed a snack', or just dialogue interactions or something.
  • Options
    To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Their cute and this is a GP everyone keeps wanting bigger features. But JA didn't have that much either...

This is becoming tiresome. I don’t expect more. I expect competence. I’m sorry but NOBODY can defend that sorry excuse house without a backdoor. Nobody. How that got past approval I do not know.

I expect what I pay for. £20 is half an EP. The content should match.

—T
  • Options
    To7m wrote: »
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Their cute and this is a GP everyone keeps wanting bigger features. But JA didn't have that much either...

This is becoming tiresome. I don’t expect more. I expect competence. I’m sorry but NOBODY can defend that sorry excuse house without a backdoor. Nobody. How that got past approval I do not know.

I expect what I pay for. £20 is half an EP. The content should match.

—T

Agreed. Love the pack, hate what they've done (or should I say, not done) with the builds in it, especially that house and HQ.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited September 2019
    I hate that they added dragon because there is no gameplay for dragon like in ts1 and it makes me feel this is going to be ts4 take on dragons as a whole and yeah im just going to cry in closet brb
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I hate that they added dragon because there is no gameplay for dragon like in ts1 and it makes me feel this is going to be ts4 take on dragons as a whole and yeah im just going to cry in closet brb
    Ugh me too. I was so excited to find out dragon familiars were a thing because I’ve been wanting dragon pets for ages... But then I found out that the familiars aren’t proper pets at all and I was bummed. I painted a cat in CAS to look like a dragon (as a substitute for a proper dragon pet) but it’s just not the same.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    People just expect way too much from a Game Pack...
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    They are cool looking, but I wish there was a little more to them.

It would be nice if sims were a little more aware of them.
    EA said they wanted them to be functionally the same, so that one isn't better at something than another.
    So basically they are just style accessories. I would rather there be functional distinctions to them.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I get that the Glimmerbrook houses aren't really important enough for them to worry about, especially since so many (like myself) build our own anyway and those that don't build can get them from the gallery.

But the HQ is so problematic to change (few know how to even begin to do it) that I would think a lot more thought and effort would be put into it. I know I tend to over decorate my builds, but even on a minimalist scale, it could have been better.
  • Options
    CK213 wrote: »
    They are cool looking, but I wish there was a little more to them.

It would be nice if sims were a little more aware of them.
    EA said they wanted them to be functionally the same, so that one isn't better at something than another.
    So basically they are just style accessories. I would rather there be functional distinctions to them.

Same. Which makes me wonder - a little OT but alright - if more expensive wands have a lower chance of "misfiring"? Wasn't that a thing in TS3?
  • Options
    RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    I have mixed feelings about them do to several factors right now, with me see-sawing back and forth a LOT.

Because I can see what they were trying to do, but:.. yeah.

For example:

Would’ve loved for them to be a bit more actively relevant in spellcaster spell work, with each one giving different buffs! Buuuut design wise I know the gurus were wanting to make it more an aesthetic choice so people wouldn’t feel like they HAD to pick one familiar over the other. Because if that had happened there probably would’ve been more complaints.

Would’ve loved for some to be snarky jerks (although I haven’t played all of them so far), but see the above.

About the only thing I really wish and that I think could’ve been done is if we could click on them to chat and build a relationship with them, say like Mr. Patchy or maybe more like the hamsters. Even if there wasn’t more dialogue, that would’ve been fun... but then people would’ve have either complained there wasn’t bonuses offered to the friendship levels (which see above regarding not wanting familiars to grant too many bonuses for people who didn’t want to play them) or that it wasn’t relevant enough.

IDK. I feel like a big portion of decisions made was due to not wanting it to affect gameplay between different aesthetics of spellcasters too much. Which I get, but I think this is why Sims 4 comes off as shallow to a lot of people. Without those structural sinks and differences then it makes it harder.

Maybe they should’ve taken a page out of WoW’s book with hunters and had a perk you could earn early on that would grant you similar bonuses to what you would have worth a more amped up familiar bonus.