Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What type of business do you enjoy running the most?

Open for Business was my favorite EP for The Sims 2, but I just realised I never owned business in Sims 4, and now I really feel like doing it.

So, what type of business do you enjoy running the most? Which do you think is the most fleshed out?

What type of business do you enjoy running the most? 72 votes

Restaurant
36%
JagAcura03neutralsidelove7680AngelluluKalaniCoolsimlicious2015alex_alex09HestiataydevbixtersNetzspannungkappowanThePinkBookGirlCupidEvilyn_1007TodilooAmandèlesofasimCBookBradyGalaxy 26 votes
Vet Clinic
19%
IcewolfaprilroseFoxrox77Kittie885RedShoe7happyopiBusufuSAEldarinGrumpyGlowfishListentoToppDoggRavenSpitSimAlexandriaKimmerbubbajoe621 14 votes
Bakery
12%
brackencat31Isb917Mariefoxprice83EnkiSchmidtDestin2016Rae357IVXXXVICaleSimsMaed 9 votes
Retail (specify)
31%
sillehbeeoveronCamkathaneulsimmietimeemereWolfNateXxAirixXannaliese39AngelEb95BMSOadele_katSigzy05AlanSimsJediMuppetVivi_WillowTreeTS1299LairaEttaLady_Ballora 23 votes

Comments

• Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    Restaurant
    That was difficult to answer for me because I like both restaurants and retail (art gallery) pretty much the same. But with the restaurant you have the added bonus that once you get your staff all trained up you have a place to go with all your other households that serves excellent food. Just did it recently. There are a few bugs, but I got my restaurant up to 5* within two Sim weeks or so.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I would say Vet Clinic, but it's the only one I can own (don't have DO or GTW yet) so it'd be too biased.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited September 2019
    Retail (specify)
    My main sim has a cute little bookshop. It also has an office upstairs for him to work on freelance writer gigs and write books to sell in the shop downstairs. Bakeries are a close second since part of me has always liked the idea of running my own bakery in real life. I don't really have much interest in running a restaurant and prefer my sims to be the ones dining out. I haven't tried running a vet clinic yet either, but now I'm actually working in a real vet practice I am sure I will at some point as I do love animals.
  • Options
    mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    I don't run any businesses, they take up too much time, so I can not comment.
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    My main sim has a cute little bookshop. It also has an office upstairs for him to work on freelance writer gigs and write books to sell in the shop downstairs. Bakeries are a close second since part of me has always liked the idea of running my own bakery in real life. I don't really have much interest in running a restaurant and prefer my sims to be the ones dining out. I haven't tried running a vet clinic yet either, but now I'm actually working in a real vet practice I am sure I will at some point as I do love animals.

OMG I love the bookshop idea. I wonder if we can make a bookshop that is also a bakery, so that people can read books and drink some coffee, maybe a piece of cake.

Also, congrats on working on a real vet!! I love animals too and have considered for a long time being a vet (in real life, I'm not so sure in The Sims lol).
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Retail (specify)

OMG I love the bookshop idea. I wonder if we can make a bookshop that is also a bakery, so that people can read books and drink some coffee, maybe a piece of cake.

Also, congrats on working on a real vet!! I love animals too and have considered for a long time being a vet (in real life, I'm not so sure in The Sims lol).

I am sure you could have a bookshop with a cafe/bakery if you wanted. A bit of a cake with a good book sounds like my perfect afternoon. :)

Thank you, I am actually starting my new job next week. It's only on reception, but I wanted to get more insight while I explore my options. There are so many different careers with animals it's hard to know which direction to go!
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Vet Clinic
    I love retails and the choice you can get, like an art gallery selling all sim-made paintings, a garden center with deco plants so it's easier to visualize them or a wedding caterer selling cakes that never spoils.

But I mostly play them on the client side, I don't enjoy selling/restocking, that's boring gameplay.
    Vet clinics otoh, are super fun to play. The only downside is less replayability than retail because it's always going to be a vet clinic.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I haven't run any of them yet, although I have a Sim who will soon open a vet clinic. She just became an adult last night, so she's finally ready.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited September 2019
    Restaurant
    Restaurants hit the sweet spot for me (ignoring the bugs)

I don't know if they ever fixed Vet Clinics, but you'll never get a 5 star Vet Clinic if you allow your employees to work as vets and that's annoying. It's also too easy and it has the most rinse-and-repeat kind of strategy of all the businesses.

Retail on the other hand is just frustrating. The perk points are painfully slow to earn, it takes way too long to make a sale on a decent markup, the employees don't really ever do their job regardless of how well-trained they supposedly are, and the whole thing feels like a waste of time and effort since nowadays you can just throw something on a sales table and sell it for 300% markup (as opposed to 100%) without having to coax the customers into buying it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    WallSims4everWallSims4ever Posts: 755 Member
    How profitable are they when compared to normal jobs?
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Retail (specify)
    I enjoy running my art gallery. I haven't tried a restaurant, because I would have preferred to be the chef, not just an owner. I do like dining out at the restaurants though. I don't have vet clinics in my game yet.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Vet Clinic
    I've tried all of them out and I had the most fun with the vet clinic.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Vet Clinic
    Vet clinic. But I also like using the mod to run a toddler daycare
  • Options
    JediMuppetJediMuppet Posts: 98 Member
    Retail (specify)
    I'm a collector in the Sims 4 so I really enjoy having retail shops to sell the things I find.
    My favourite was a relics/ antique shop. JA was awesome for that.
  • Options
    emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member
    Retail (specify)

My favs are a Garlic Store and a Art & Photo Gallery. But I enjoy my bakery and my Flower Shop too. I love restaurants as a customer but not running them :s
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Even though I loved retail in Sims 2 - I think mostly because I had all my businesses on my home residential lots - I just do not enjoy owning a business on it's own lots. I have tried a few and I missed not having it as a home business. I could not pretend as I don't use cheats in my games or mods so - retail is just a no go for me unless the devs ever change this requirement to not support home businesses. I mainly gave home businesses to elder newly retired sims and it worked great in Sims 2. I sort of need that set up then I could enjoy a variety of businesses in Sims 4 like I did in Sims 2.

You would think as small as these Sims 4 worlds are the team would support home businesses as there is really not enough room to give a lot to a residence and another to their business.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    CaptainElsaCaptainElsa Posts: 226 Member
    Retail (specify)
    I have a v. classy retail store that I sell the shells my sim digs up in Sulani. It reminds me of the actual local boutiques near me in LA.
  • Options
    CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    I've only been playing the Sims since May and have had GTW for less than 2 weeks. So far I've only tried the scientist career but want to try the retail shops. Is it pretty straightforward to figure out? Do the townies actually come in and buy the products? Can you choose how much you want to charge? Is there a limit on how many items you can have for sale on each store at a time?

Sorry for all the questions. Just really curious
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Retail (specify)
    Retail. I made a formal/wedding store and a Halloween store for costumes once.
  • Options
    CBookCBook Posts: 87 Member
    Restaurant
    While there are some glitches, it's very fun when it does work.
    Sims are Lit
  • Options
    CBookCBook Posts: 87 Member
    Restaurant
    > @CaprianaB said:
    > I've only been playing the Sims since May and have had GTW for less than 2 weeks. So far I've only tried the scientist career but want to try the retail shops. Is it pretty straightforward to figure out? Do the townies actually come in and buy the products? Can you choose how much you want to charge? Is there a limit on how many items you can have for sale on each store at a time?
    >
    > Sorry for all the questions. Just really curious

It's pretty easy to understand. Yes the townies shop, but if you have fame or there's too many objects the store gets full fast. You can choose how much you want to charge, but I don't know if that effects customer count. And there's a limit on manniquins, but not total items.
    Sims are Lit
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    Vet Clinic
    Vet Clinic & Restaurant are my favorite
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,972 Member
    Vet clinic is most fun probably but its also stressful because the patients never stop coming for a second to end day and u feel so bad for the pixel buddies and...

don't have dine out idk about that

retail is bit boring just for the sake of retail but i also enjoy making weird shops that sell weird things or small aesthetic shops are cute too

i have actually yet to ever make bakery should try it out
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    Retail (specify)
    Soon as they fix potions going to make a magic r us :P
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Retail (specify)
    There wasn't a neutral option for more than one but typically my sims run a vet clinic and two retail shops. One is an art gallery, the other will be revamped into a Mystic emporium.
    WolfNate wrote: »
    Soon as they fix potions going to make a magic r us :P

There is a mod that is a quick fix for that until we get a game patch to fix it.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios