Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For those arguing why the Hijab & whatnot are not in a seperate pack:

Comments

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    The thing that people seem to not be comprehending is that previous Sims games were pretty much based on only white, suburban U.S. culture which really limited representation for most players outside of that region (and many inside as well). So yeah, maybe some people got really comfy being in this paradise of exclusion, but if we're being realistic, it was an ignorant one.

But as time has gone on, EA has chosen to branch out with The Sims to be much more inclusive universally. So with Sims 4 in particular, they have been much more mindful that other cultures and lifestyles also need some representation, as The Sims 4 is played all over the world. The Sims is the kind of game that many players use to create what's relatable to them, yet for many years most of the world was left out, which seems kind of senseless when you think about it. So by adding other cultural aspects and more world representation into the game bit by bit, they are actually merely encompassing and expanding on what probably should have been there to begin with. Instead of The Sims being a small representation of the U.S, it's now a larger representation of many parts of the world. Isn't this as it should be?

I'll also point out that because EA is an American company, most of their influence is going to come from what's around them. And since America is actually very mixed racially and culturally and is more wholly represented by the presence of diversity, the game is much more accurate now than it's ever been. Players who don't want that in their game is their own business, but to expect Maxis to bow to that kind of prejudice is outdated and unreasonable. Isn't it part of their job to offer a believable world in a simulator? It's not that unusual to see a Middle Eastern woman wearing a hijab in the U.S. so putting one in CAS is merely to reflect what we might see around us in the world, or for a player to more accurately represent themself or a Sim similar to them in what they wear. It's not like putting on the hijab suddenly sends the Sim into prayer. It's only religious to those who choose to see it that way.

Maybe The Sims 4 should also include "Outrage Culture", lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    EA please make religious attire in the game OPTIONAL! I don't want religion forced down my throat! I can see now townies in all neighborhoods will be wearing hijabs..MAKE IT OPTIONAL!!
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

1.) People seem to think a HIJAB is cultural wear woman wear in the Middle East and elsewhere. No. It is not. It is religious. And a symbol of oppression. Women are jailed for refusing to wear hijabs in Iran.

Every Muslim woman I know wears it as a choice.

And I feel horrible for them, seeing that people are so angry about them being able to create themselves in the Sims for the first time... ever.
  • Options
    Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    I, for one, am personally happy that individuals who rarely get represented are getting their due. Having this content in the base game is easier for developers, and introduces players to different types of content that may introduce them to a culture or religion, or may resonate with their culture or beliefs. Leaving it to be DLC can prevent some people from discovering it, and I personally don't think it's necessary to fill stores with a lot of culture and religion packs when they can't just be added to the free pack or base game.

Diversity exists in real life, and it's something we can't decide upon. And it's not like there aren't people who don't want a lot of base game content that isn't ethnically or religiously focused, there are plenty of consumers who want this in their game, and they have a right to be heard. Especially since they made it a point a while ago that The Sims 4 is focusing on inclusivity.

And just because there are people of the represented beliefs, cultures, or members of the LGBT don't like the content we receive, doesn't mean they all don't. I've seen far more people happy about these updates than not. Every point about people not liking this content and being forced into having it in their game can be said by the people who want this content but are forced to have clothing and content more geared towards English speaking ethnicities.

I've seen the way representation has affected people positively, how it's affected me, so this is something I wholeheartedly support. You may not understand the kind of positive impact these kinds of updates make on people, but they're there, and sometimes they're powerful.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

1.) People seem to think a HIJAB is cultural wear woman wear in the Middle East and elsewhere. No. It is not. It is religious. And a symbol of oppression. Women are jailed for refusing to wear hijabs in Iran.

And I feel horrible for them, seeing that people are so angry about them being able to create themselves in the Sims for the first time... ever.

Yeah and in places like Egypt Christan women wear it as well by choice,.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Silencing them only serves their oppressors and no one else.

Oppression over race/gender/sexuality doesn't exist in The Sims. Never has. We're talking about a video game, not real life. Real life is a separate issue. I don't need a video game to validate my existence.

Good for you, some of us aren't as lucky.
  • Options
    andriandri Posts: 16 Member
    [quote="Logisitcs;c-17228499"]I’m stunned by 2 things:

2.) That the mods here are closing threads because they’re discussing religion... WHEN THE DEVS HAVE INTRODUCED A RELIGIOUS SYMBOL IN THE GAME!!!! [/quote]

It is only in Iran or all of Islamic nations? If it is only happen in Iran, don’t make it sound like happen in all of Islamic nations
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    that previous Sims games were pretty much based on only white, suburban U.S. culture

But religion isn‘t a race or culture. The most Muslims I know are White.
    Now we get religious attire in the game, which hopefully doesn‘t get forced upon us with townies wearing it or premade families with religious attire.
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    that previous Sims games were pretty much based on only white, suburban U.S. culture

Now we get religious attire in the game, which hopefully doesn‘t get forced upon us with townies wearing it or premade families with religious attire.

I think what's implied in the other's person';s quote is that the majoirty (not all I should say) of that "white suraban cultural were probably Christians of some sort.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    LordOfTendonsLordOfTendons Posts: 250 Member

I'm positive the townies will be wearing it with bikini bottoms and high heels. And that's just the men.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

2.) That the mods here are closing threads because they’re discussing religion... WHEN THE DEVS HAVE INTRODUCED A RELIGIOUS SYMBOL IN THE GAME!!!!

Yes, the Hijab is religious wear, but it is not solely that anymore. Many wear their Hijab, not just for religion anymore. A girl from my university wore a Hijab despite not following any religion, she did it because it created a special relationship with her family where only they could see her entirely. Of course, this does not mean her idealization of the Hijab is not sprouted from the oppression of women in those countries, but that's a while other discussion we should not integrate into this thread, and at the end of the day, it's still the player's choice whether or not to incorporate them.
  • Options
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

2.) That the mods here are closing threads because they’re discussing religion... WHEN THE DEVS HAVE INTRODUCED A RELIGIOUS SYMBOL IN THE GAME!!!!

Yes, the Hijab is religious wear, but it is not solely that anymore. Many wear their Hijab, not just for religion anymore. A girl from my university wore a Hijab despite not following any religion, she did it because it created a special relationship with her family where only they could see her entirely. Of course, this does not mean her idealization of the Hijab is not sprouted from the oppression of women in those countries, but is not the only reason anymore.

Yeah and we have to remember one time until 70s Christan women had to cover their heads- hence why we see hats in stuff like Pollyanna (Hailey Mills version) and Anne of Green Gables
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Jprp83Jprp83 Posts: 400 Member
    The Sims is a life simulator. In RL when you walk down the street you will encounter many people from different cultures and backgrounds. Townies should be the same. The world does not revolve around one culture.

I remember not so long ago people with these sort of concerns were a little more reluctant to express their outrage this openly. It's shocking/sad/disappointing/embarrassing that we have come to this.
  • Options
    LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    andri wrote: »
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

It is only in Iran or all of Islamic nations? If it is only happen in Iran, don’t make it sound like happen in all of Islamic nations

Saudi Arabia its required by law. If some countries have to BAN the use of hijabs why is it a good idea to put it in the base game??
  • Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member

I'm positive the townies will be wearing it with bikini bottoms and high heels. And that's just the men.

:D
    You better believe they'll have that patched the very next day though!
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

I feel like people need to educate themselves on these types of matters more, because a symbol of oppression, can be used as a symbol of liberation too.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I’m stunned by 2 things:

Yes, the Hijab is religious wear, but it is not solely that anymore. Many wear their Hijab, not just for religion anymore. A girl from my university wore a Hijab despite not following any religion, she did it because it created a special relationship with her family where only they could see her entirely. Of course, this does not mean her idealization of the Hijab is not sprouted from the oppression of women in those countries, but is not the only reason anymore.

Yeah and we have to remember one time until 70s Christan women had to cover their heads- hence why we see hats in stuff like Pollyanna (Hailey Mills version) and Anne of Green Gables

In Russia, I remember seeing women wearing them in cold weather.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    TLDR but here is my issue with it.

There is literally a forum rule not to discuss religion but they created content which symbolizes a particular religion. All other religions should have some representation then and we should be able to talk about it without threads getting closed. Either make all content that is controversial optional or be inclusive. Updates are the worse because you literally cannot play the game without updating it.

Anyway, they should make an effort to include all religions since they are trying to be so "inclusive". I personally feel a bit offended that we can't call the tree a Christmas tree but we can have a hijab in the game or celebrate Diwali. What did Jesus do to you gurus?? Last I checked His commandment was to love, which is something everyone can get behind.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Maybe they should just move these to the holiday pack so everyone can just shut up. As a Muslim, it really offends me seeing all you butt hurt people on this forum against my religion. They have the Jewish and Diwali stuff in the holiday pack and no one batted an eyelash cuz it's "optional", like as if you don't use the pack at all for the "Christmas" stuff or any others that you wanted in your game, therefore having that pack in your game. Don't pretend. 😒

I'm a Muslim and I don't wear a hijab. But y'all are just too much. LOL.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    For me I am just happy for the people who wants this content for years because finally they can tell their stories that they want that is related to this culture and many got representation in the game they Love.

I am happy for them and support them because after all this is The Sims, a game where you can be anyone and where and do anything without being judge by people around you, and having to create themselves especially if the cultures that they had are represented in the game, will make them happy and found an escape or even insipiration from life. For me, I am happy for those who been wanting this.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    In all fairness, the people who are complaining about the Muslim content are most likely the same ones who complained about the Pride content.

Personally, I'm happy to be seeing more diversity in the game. I hope they someday decide to add Jewish related content as well! :smile: The more cultures, the better, in my opinion!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    Not all scarves and head covers are hijabs nor have connections to religion. They could of made a kerchief which would be much more common, less controversial and more versatile.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited September 2019
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Not all scarves and head covers are hijabs nor have connections to religion. They could of made a kerchief which would be much more common, less controversial and more versatile.

I feel like whoever Maxis hired to oversee that this was not controversial/politically correct did them wrong lol There were less religious options for Arabian culture outfits but they had to pick this lol
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    @XxAirixX wrote: »

I agree. In fact hijab being a religous onject is imo an idea formed by the society as a whole because in reality everything has no kind of accosiaction to an object its the society that dictates it.

Hijab is the example. It is an clothing already that we have in the game, a cloth that has no meaning and can be used for people to be able to wear as fashion for their sims

However since the soceity that we had in rl associate that object o a religion, the clothing itself was being used as a representation of the religion rather than the culture. Because the way society dictates what we think, it encourages us to think that hijab are religous rather than an ordinary clothing.

I am not starting any argurment here just stating a point. As another simmer had said this is kind of the first time that the arab culture is being represented in The Sims and it is sad how it is going because of how society thinks that hijab particular is only about religion
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top