Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What type of computer do you play The Sims 4 on?

Comments

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    High-End Machine ($2,000 USD+)
    Reksoh wrote: »
    I feel like the way this poll is categorized kind of works against its purpose. For starters, I would say a "Monster" PC could be in the $2,000-$2500 dollar range easily. I would call a mid range something around $1,000, and lower end probably around $500 ish or below.

But categorizing by price doesnt make much sense in the first place because a machine that cost $2,000 a year ago is definitely not the same as a machine that cost $2,000 a week ago yet both of these kinds of people will vote in the same category. This is further complicated by the fact that those on laptops will be paying a higher premium for performance than desktop buyers are. So someone who spent 3k on a laptop might have a system that's even worse than a $1500 desktop. And, those who buy desktops are paying a higher premium for performance than those who build their desktops are. On top of that... someone could build a PC that a company might sell for $3k plus but only spend $2k on it. Money spent is just not a good indicator of how good someone's system is.

Good point. My laptop was expensive, but it's also old now because I've had it for years.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    Monster Machine ($3,000 USD+)
    I wanted to be able to play all the sims games without issue
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I play on mid end pc. I dont know all the specs since it's kind of old. But it's an hp gaming desktop, may have been about 1000 dollars.

Then I also play on a high end laptop.MSI GT80 which was almost 3000 dollars. They both run well but the MSI runs it superfast, barely any loading time, mechanical keyboard is great, and I can play on ultra.
    Only because I'm a desktop girl do I use my pc more often though.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    no idea how many usd
    but its probably considered low-end by now
    was mid-range back when sims4 released :joy: didn't really buy it for game use though

definitely need new one if I want to play this game full graphics and get more expansions
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    petewentospetewentos Posts: 90 Member
    Low-End Machine ($300+ USD)
    I play on a regular old laptop but the game runs pretty well with medium to high settings with laptop mode disabled and uncompressed sim textures :)
    giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d44708035316c432e5b02f0&rid=giphy.gif
    i just got so emo, i fell apart.
    origin id: petewentos
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    akaniki0 wrote: »

Wow, you really paid over $3000? What are your specs?
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    edited August 2019
    Mid-Range Machine ($700+ USD)
    Mine started out as a middling Cyberpower machine from Best Buy; it had a graphics card capable of playing GTA 5 and Hitman 2015, so it was definitely not a slacker. Since buying it in 2016, I've upgraded the RAM, power supply, and the graphics card to one far more capable (a Vega 56 in the ASUS Strix card), and plan on future upgrades -- switching to an SSD for boot and storage, and then perhaps going so far as to replace the motherboard and CPU. Right now I'm running an AMD FX-series, an 8000 something, and I'd like to get a motherboard with an AM4 socket so I can get one of the higher-performing Ryzen chips.

By the time I'm done, this prebuilt will be a ME-built!
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Mid range - it was a spiffy laptop when it was new, but I have had it for years. Still works fine.
  • Options
    akaniki0 wrote: »

Im just a simmer, Ive tried other games, but not able to get into them, and I would still go all out for sims games. I totally get this :D
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    I would call mine a high end machine, but you don't have to pay nearly that much to have one (mine topped out at about$800, partly because I got windows so cheap). There's some great web sites that point you in the direction of what parts to buy to build a good rig. I play Fallout 4 on ultra settings without so much as a hiccup, and the Sims doesn't really tax it other than this weird slow down I can't pin.
  • Options
    mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    I'm not sure what my laptop would classify as, I don't think it cost $700 but I don't feel like it's that low end. It's an HP and I just got it in November, mainly for school but I also told the guy at Best Buy that was helping me that I wanted to be able to play Sims. I'd say the game runs fairly well, it lags a little bit sometimes but not really that bad, and it's only ever crashed once. I have all of the packs plus a couple of mods and some CC. I don't really see the point in getting an expensive gaming computer since Sims is the only game I play.
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    edited September 2019
    here are my specs I think its a monster machine but its older now by about 4 years
    Machine name: PHEONIX
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 32692MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Also has SSD and regular hard drive.
    I wanted to play every game without hassles.
    Had so much trouble with sims 3 I needed something that I thought would play it. It still gives me trouble at times.
  • Options
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    here are my specs I think its a monster machine but its older now by about 4 years
    Machine name: PHEONIX
    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
    Memory: 32768MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 32692MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

A gtx1080 is a mosnter regardless of time gone by.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Options
    jasy80jasy80 Posts: 19 New Member
    Low-End Machine ($300+ USD)
    idk why i clicked low end when my pc is 700+ tbh, i play on ps4 so idk why i commented....maybe because in 2013 i played on a cheap laptop lol
  • Options
    Fairy_HappyFairy_Happy Posts: 8,906 Member
    edited September 2019
    I bought this computer specifically for gaming. Blew my budget too. XD

My computer is actually somewhere between High end and monster but I chose monster because I don't know. -_-
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I have a two year old gaming laptop that cost 1050 Euros. It's not very good, but I couldn't afford a better one.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2019
    FX- 8350 cpu, 850 watt Gold Corsair Power Supply, ROG Strix 2060 ti video card, 4 K monitor etc. Bose speakers, new keyboard, new mouse, and new sound card, new cooler case and more. When i could not upgrade this year as planned due to my illness, my family surprised me... and that's what I have so far anyway... I did also get the new Wolfenstein game from Bethesda and Epics games new Control game for free with my card. I had the the 8 core processor and my Asus motherboard -they are just 2 -1/2years old so I still have those.

Oddly the game i look forward to playing are neither of those and will probably not hardly move my new card - but I can hardly wait for ROM. LOL.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    Not counting peripherals it's about $9k. With peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc.) it's about $12k.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options
    SimsfreakmaniacSimsfreakmaniac Posts: 140 Member
    High end all the way (now - before it was mid-range laptop and before that it was low end laptop)
  • Options
    KartaiKartai Posts: 1,206 Member
    CaseiBUYPOWER Element Front and Side Tempered Glass RGB Gaming Case - 3x RGB Fans
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i9-9940X Processor (14x 3.30GHz/19.25MB L3 Cache)
    MotherboardASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional Gaming i9 -- 4x PCIe x16, 2x USB 3.1 Gen2, 4x USB 3.1 Gen1, 2x USB 2.0, 3x M.2, RGB, WiFi [Intel Optane Ready]
    Memory32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - G.SKILL Ripjaws V
    Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 - 8GB GDDR6 - ASUS ROG STRIX OC (VR-Ready)
    Case LightingiBUYPOWER RGB Lighting - [FREE] 1 RGB Lighting Strip
    Power Supply850 Watt - EVGA 850 GQ - 80 PLUS Gold, Semi Modular
    Processor CoolingASUS ROG Ryuo 120mm Liquid Cooling System
    Primary Hard Drive1 TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive
    Data Hard Drive1 TB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s - Single Drive
    External Optical DriveNone
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx [PCIE] -- 7.1 Channels, 192kHz/24-bit, 106 dB SNR
    Speaker SystemNone
    Network CardIntel Pro 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network Card
    MonitorNone
    KeyboardiBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
    MouseiBUYPOWER Gaming Optical Mouse - Multi-Color LED Lighting
    Operating SystemWindows 10 Home + Office 365 Trial [FREE 30 Day Trial] - (64-bit)
    Warranty3 Year Standard Warranty Service
    Rush ServiceRush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - [RUSH !!!] - Ship Out in 3 Business Days
    Meter DisplayNone
    Media Card Reader / WriterNone
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise ReductionNone
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal ExpansionNone
    iBUYPOWER PowerDriveNone
    USB Expansion CardNone
    Case Engraving ServiceNone
    Case Fans3x [RGB] Raidmax NV-A120R3 120mm RGB LED Fan
    M.2/PCI-E SSD CardNone
    SLI BridgeNone
    Advance Cabling OptionsStandard Default Cables
    Advanced Build Options - Thermal PasteNone
    iBUYPOWER Elite Build PackageElite Build Package - Silver (Pro Wiring, Sleeved Cable - Choose a Color Below) - Black Cable
    Intel Optane Memory Accelerator32GB Intel Optane Memory - Boost Primary Drive - Up to 23x Faster for HDD and 3.3x Faster for SATA SSD

:o 😵 it was the most I ever spent it runs so fast the price...it cost a lot...
    I did buy a iBuyPower PC and it's plays the sims 4 smooth it makes FINAL FANTASY XIV look good.
  • Options
    XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited September 2019
    Mid-range like most people. No way I can afford anything more expensive then that. If only I had that kind of money to spend. Mine has been pretty good though. 918 GB, hadn't had to replace the battery or charger yet, etc...the only downside is Windows 10.
    Post edited by XxAirixX on
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,974 Member
    edited September 2019
    I started the game out on a low end, non gaming HP computer, and it did just fine ( with all the packs, no mods or custom content) till about the time City Living came out, I knew it wouldn’t be able to handle CL. And when toddlers came out (which I was really glad to see) it just got too laggy so I saved for 2 years and bought a nice Asus gaming laptop, A high mid one I would say. I got an i7 with a 1070 graphics card because I wanted to experience really good graphics for the rest of sims 4. It’s a hybrid drive with good cooling vents, and so far has done well, It’s about a year old now. And I have all the packs so far but don’t use CC or mods. I hope it’s good enough to handle sims 5 too.
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2019
    This is the point I was making when I called a $200 VR headset (relatively) inexpensive. Look at how much we paid for our computers, lol.
  • Options
    SarahLainaSarahLaina Posts: 36 Member
    So I'm thinking about getting this refurbished laptop. It's windows 10. I wanna know if I can run sims 4 well on it. I am planning on getting some cc, but only like 1 or 2 gigs of it. I also have 8 mods in mind that I want. One more thing, keep in mind that don't think I will be installing a lot more games so I don't think I need a lot of storage. Here are the details...

Processor model: Intel 5th generation core i5-5300U

Graphics: Intel HD graphics

Storage: 480 GB

Memory: 8 GB

Also is it good for all the packs??
  • Options
    synicalx1synicalx1 Posts: 2 New Member
    I'd say I'm playing on a high-end machine if you include monitors/peripherals in the price since I've spent about as much on that stuff as I have on the PC.

Watching your Sim catch on fire at 144hz is cool I guess?