Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What type of computer do you play The Sims 4 on?

Comments

• Options
    mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Monster Machine ($3,000 USD+)
    Alienware gaming laptop <3
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited August 2019
    Mid-Range Machine ($700+ USD)
    Mine was actually over $1000 but it was on sale when I bought it and it’s not even close to $2000. It plays on ultra very nicely with all packs installed so it’s a decent desktop. Ryzen 2700x, nvidia 1060, 8GB Ram.

Edit: I do feel like this is slightly above mid range though but it wasn’t expensive. It’s a gaming desktop just not a beast of one.
    Post edited by Akl500P on
  • Options
    AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I'm purely guessing here. Mine was just over $2,000 AUD and it can get tricky to translate to USD.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    lol, I paid almost CHF 3000.- for my gaming PC (just for TS4!!! :D, crazy!!) (approx. $ 3040.-)
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • Options
    IdontrcallIdontrcall Posts: 19,349 Member
    edited August 2019
    I think they are monster machines, lol. They are both under 2000. Alienware gaming laptop seven or eight years old, plays 3 and 4 wonderfully well. Only problem is my F key is off.

Desktop is a beast that looks like a stormtrooper (it's an I-Buy Power I bought off the shelf at Best Buy, don't know models or anything). Only about 3 years old. Plays 3 and 4 wonderfully well as well. Just lucky with my computers.

So, I didn't answer because in my mind and heart they are monsters, but in your price range they are midrange, lol.

Edit: And I can have both Sims 3 and Sims 4 running (one in background one active) at the same time and go back and forth if I want. I play Sims 3 via my disks not on origin, so I think that's why I'm able to do it. Don't ask me why I do it, it's confidential, lol.
    Check out my cooking Youtube channel: Living with Leigh
  • Options
    xMarianxxMarianx Posts: 74 Member
    I think it’s mid-range. It’s not a gaming laptop, but it works.

I bought it 4 years ago to play Sims 3 with only a few ep’s and sp’s. My old laptop couldn’t even load Sims 3 base-game with 2 ep’s and 1 sp without crashing. I now have Sims 4 with almost everything, and it runs fine on my current laptop.
  • Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    I don't know how to classify mine. It is a refurbished Dell to which a friend of mine added some parts, including a good graphics card. (He specifically fixed it so we could play Sims and Minecraft.) I didn't pay a lot for it, but I have no problem playing on Ultra.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    799 €. GTX 1050 Ti, i5 9400F, 8 GB Ram. As I'm playing only TS I think a more expensive PC would be a waste of money and electricity.
  • Options
    TamskiTamski Posts: 14 New Member
    I chose mid range because of the price points. But because mine is a custom build, I feel like it was cheaper to build, but definitely better than a mid grade machine... If that makes sense. Lol
  • Options
    GGSimmerGGGGSimmerGG Posts: 35 Member
    I play on an HP Notebook intel core i7. The Laptop was around $700 but my brother installed a crazy high graphics card he had laying around is workshop and customized the internal memory to 2TB. But that doesn't mean my game doesn't lag 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    High-End Machine ($2,000 USD+)
    I saved up and got myself a nice little HP gaming laptop. It’s cool because the keyboard lights up green for sims! Lol someone even in the reviews also said she bought it for playing sims. <3
  • Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    edited August 2019
    I feel like the way this poll is categorized kind of works against its purpose. For starters, I would say a "Monster" PC could be in the $2,000-$2500 dollar range easily. I would call a mid range something around $1,000, and lower end probably around $500 ish or below.

But categorizing by price doesnt make much sense in the first place because a machine that cost $2,000 a year ago is definitely not the same as a machine that cost $2,000 a week ago yet both of these kinds of people will vote in the same category. This is further complicated by the fact that those on laptops will be paying a higher premium for performance than desktop buyers are. So someone who spent 3k on a laptop might have a system that's even worse than a $1500 desktop. And, those who buy desktops are paying a higher premium for performance than those who build their desktops are. On top of that... someone could build a PC that a company might sell for $3k plus but only spend $2k on it. Money spent is just not a good indicator of how good someone's system is.
  • Options
    SageOfGlimmerBrookSageOfGlimmerBrook Posts: 397 Member
    Reksoh wrote: »
    I feel like the way this poll is categorized kind of works against its purpose. For starters, I would say a "Monster" PC could be in the $2,000-$2500 dollar range easily. I would call a mid range something around $1,000, and lower end probably around $500 ish or below.

But categorizing by price doesnt make much sense in the first place because a machine that cost $2,000 a year ago is definitely not the same as a machine that cost $2,000 a week ago yet both of these kinds of people will vote in the same category. This is further complicated by the fact that those on laptops will be paying a higher premium for performance than desktop buyers are. So someone who spent 3k on a laptop might have a system that's even worse than a $1500 desktop. And, those who buy desktops are paying a higher premium for performance than those who build their desktops are. On top of that... someone could build a PC that a company might sell for $3k plus but only spend $2k on it. Money spent is just not a good indicator of how good someone's system is.

This thread is most likely just for curiosity. Although, i really don't see the purpose of it. I personally prefer gaming laptops and I am aware that there is a premium price tag when using them vs a desktop. We're all playing on different machines and that fine. Someone playing the sims 4 on a mid-range computer can definitely play this game as well as someone with a more expensive machine. Ive played sims on mid-range price computers and expensive ones and the difference is miniscule.
    Sims storiesstoriesstories & Sims builds builds builds

• Options
    ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    edited August 2019
    Simmify wrote: »
    Reksoh wrote: »

This thread is most likely just for curiosity. Although, i really don't see the purpose of it. I personally prefer gaming laptops and I am aware that there is a premium price tag when using them vs a desktop. We're all playing on different machines and that fine. Someone playing the sims 4 on a mid-range computer can definitely play this game as well as someone with a more expensive machine. Ive played sims on mid-range price computers and expensive ones and the difference is miniscule.

I know that the thread is for curiosity. I'm simply pointing out that this poll isnt really answering the question that the OP is curious about. All it really does is tell us how much money players spent on their computers. But whether the machine is a "monster" or "low-end" cannot be determined from that alone.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Too lazy to upgrade, so this pc is almost 5 years old.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I have over 5 systems and they vary from Mid range to High end with various specs. I also have an gaming laptop which still fall in the mid range.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    My machine was originally for photo editing, not gaming, my friend built it for around $600-$700AUD, about 6 years ago (maybe more).
    I scored it as a replacement for my previous machine that died. It's not fancy, but TS4 runs ok.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Takes more than price to determine machine range. My machine costs about $1300, but has the I7 processor and more RAM than I ever thought possible. An Intel guy was at the store when I got it, and he said the I7 is curently their top CPU, the I9 not being out yet.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,603 Member
    Mine is high end but only about S$1500.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    Reading over some of these I guess mine is more monster than high. But I could be wrong. :D
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I have an Alienware that I use for other games too. I do think it's worth it to have a good computer even if you only play Sims, though. If you like buying all of the DLC then the game will be very demanding to run when it's at the end of its lifespan. Sims 4 will eventually heat up a potato just like Sims 3 does. It'll take longer to get to that point since it's optimized better, but it'll get there eventually.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I have an HP Desktop computer that I purchased in the fall of 2013 with Windows 8 & just upgraded it to Windows 10 in the summer of 2018. And it's still going strong. FYI I live in Canada.
  • Options
    Z3t487Z3t487 Posts: 14 New Member
    i7 9700k, RTX 2080 OC, 16 GB DDR4 4000 MHz RAM, BX500 240 GB SSD but i built this PC for The Witcher 3 and hopefully it will be still good enough for Cyberpunk 2077. I even bought a 1080p 240 Hz screen because i like online multiplayer games.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I got such a deal on this rig, just this side of $700. It's a DDR3 over the DDR2 I had originally. I've got 8 gig and room for a bit more. It could have more power, but so far, it's doing well.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Sims 4 run fast on my gaming laptop but is it true that they can only handle a game or two?

I bought this laptop mainly for film making.