Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Realm of Magic: Hogwarts?

Comments

• Options
    WolfNateWolfNate Posts: 2,340 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I saw Goblin Market because of the Ghost and the Sims with green and red skin colors, which struck me as other than human. Since we can't make proper goblins (yet) within the Sims, that will have to do. And it felt busier than I pictured Diagon Alley - which is more shops you go into than booths where people are actively hawking stuff. Maybe because I also think of the Bazaar on Daeva as a Goblin Market, even though that's technically a Demon (short for Dimension Hopper) market. (Real old fiction reference there... )

I take it your a Changeling fan?
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    The world doesn't look sci-fi to me, but that's probably for the reason that my mind went to the Great A'tuin from Discworld and that's fantasy with a world carried around through space on the back of a turtle :D
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    edited August 2019
    WolfNate wrote: »
    I saw Goblin Market because of the Ghost and the Sims with green and red skin colors, which struck me as other than human. Since we can't make proper goblins (yet) within the Sims, that will have to do. And it felt busier than I pictured Diagon Alley - which is more shops you go into than booths where people are actively hawking stuff. Maybe because I also think of the Bazaar on Daeva as a Goblin Market, even though that's technically a Demon (short for Dimension Hopper) market. (Real old fiction reference there... )

I take it your a Changeling fan?

Just a bit. :) It's the only Original WOD line I kept all my books from when the NWOD/Chronicles of Darkness came out. (I really prefer the integrated system. Made my life much less of a headache as a GM trying to work with all of them together.)

Mage (in either version) is the reason I hate playing, well, mages in any other system. It wasn't perfect, but the flexibility was awesome (in both the classic and modern sense of the word.)
  • Options
    Back on topic. This pack has wands and brooms that can be considered Harry Potter esque everything else? I'm getting more Beautiful Creatures, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Charmed with this pack.
    Occultism in Sims is family-friendly and should not be watered down to cater to realism players
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't see it, I'm seeing Halloween Town, When I first saw the brooms I remembered when Aggie Cromwell took her eldest granddaughter Marine to Get her first Broom. That's what the brooms look like.

and then the Realm of Magic. It's interesting because it's sort of, a little reminiscent of Another world I use to love from another Video Game. Kingdom Hearts Traverse Town... Although it looks like a Version where that world fell into the Realm of Darkness. which I low key like, most of my builds are inspired by that game.
    I have that little cafe area in My Game too, I have Master Yen Sid's Tower posing as My sorcerer's tower.

Then P'Li from Avatar Legend of Korra pops into existence to to the boy with side swoop Hair style. I don't trust her by the way.
    She gives me Maleficent vibes but that smile on her face looks manipulative, like "Yes, you will do nicely." and that boy looks too gullible. which is why I think he's being magically drawn and quartered at the end before the scene switches and flies off...

the only area that looks Harry Potter-esque is the part where the boys are dualing and theres the clash of power. Thats about all.
    but that's classic Magic dualing a lot of magic Shows and movies do that Harry Potter wasn't the first and not the last.

Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Be nice if there was a more eastern Europe feel about it, and less that triggers thoughts of movies and TV, the old classic sources are a rich mine to dig in. Any bets the market will be less busy than the trailer shows, and that most of the sims we see walking around are Nancy Landgraab and all the other usual suspects rather than the trailer folks?
  • Options
    Be nice if there was a more eastern Europe feel about it, and less that triggers thoughts of movies and TV, the old classic sources are a rich mine to dig in. Any bets the market will be less busy than the trailer shows, and that most of the sims we see walking around are Nancy Landgraab and all the other usual suspects rather than the trailer folks?

If you want medieval fantasy and not pop culture based witchcraft.. This pack is gonna give you a bad time
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I've no idea what the pop culture witchery is. Never seen or read Harry Potter and have no idea what else there is out there these days.

I like being stuck in my old skool time warp.
  • Options
    fullspiral wrote: »
    I've no idea what the pop culture witchery is. Never seen or read Harry Potter and have no idea what else there is out there these days.

I'm going to link several images that I believe this set is based off (to save space not posting whole images in my reply)

Harry Potter Prequel franchise

Beautiful Creatures (btw movie was a failure but there are like 5 books it's basically a gothic teen romance about a mortal dating a witch. (Incidentally the witches are called Casters just like the life state in this pack)

Charmed Remake
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    edited August 2019

This is an urban fantasy inspired pack which fits better into TS4's hyper modern aesthetic and theme. We may have to wait for a spinoff pack like Sims medieval to get a more ancient/fairytale world.

Personally, it'd be nice to have more African or Arabic like worlds instead of the typical Western-centric themes. They've basically ignored half the globe and rehashed the same styles of worlds each iteration
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    mika wrote: »

This is an urban fantasy inspired pack which fits better into TS4's hyper modern aesthetic and theme. We may have to wait for a spinoff pack like Sims medieval to get a more ancient/fairytale world.

Personally, it'd be nice to have more African or Arabic like worlds instead of the typical Western-centric themes. They've basically ignored half the globe and rehashed the same styles of worlds each iteration

The only reason I can see for not doing that here is that it may accidentally imply that magic is somehow "other" and exotic. At least, that would be my concern for using those for a magic centered world.

I would like to see those settings in future Sims 4 releases, though. Arabic would be a nice twist for University...
  • Options
    bluzkat65bluzkat65 Posts: 483 Member
    If you want to call out a 'main' source of inspiration I'd say 'Casters' from Beautiful Creatures the movie was a major failure but the aesthetic is still visible. Heck their even called Spellcasters and Caster magic in BC is very wide-ranged.

Clothing: Harry Potter (Fantastic Beasts specifically) and Beautiful Creatures with 'modern' takes like Charmed and Sabrina.

Magic: Wands are very Harry Potter esque as are brooms. But hand magic is more Charmed and Beautiful Creatures kinda thing.

Familiars: Seems more based off Patronuses and Pokemon to be honest. (A guru even says they live in pokeballs)

Decorations: I am getting a distinct Gothic Fantasy and it feels like Beautiful Creatures. Harry Potter has the bad guys exclusively be Gothic.

I was badly dissapointed in the movie but the book series I found awesome.
  • Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

Sadly and unfortunately, welcome to 99% of popular culture media. Not excusing it, it's just not only a Sins issue. It would definitely be awesome if we got to see a bigger variety of environments in every aspect of the game.
  • Options
    bluzkat65 wrote: »

I was badly dissapointed in the movie but the book series I found awesome.

Also I can't help but think the team liked the term Caster from the series. And I didn't like it and not even read the book! I read the manga adaption and felt they even ignored the comic adaption!

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member

A medieval/fairytale world would have been my first pick for this pack. Let's hope they do something like that in another pack.

And a bit more variety in worlds like African or Arabic would make for an even more unique feel for the worlds. And not to forget an Asian world too.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited August 2019
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    @Atreya33 I agree also I feel it's more based off 'modern' magic.

Outfits are a mix of Sabrina The Teenaged Witch, Halloweentown, and Fantastic Beasts while brooms and wands take a distinctly HP and 'generic' aesthetic.

The town square is heavily 'Diagon Alley' esque.

Magic seems to be it's own original style and outside of wands can't really call it an expy.

See, in the long shots I can see the argument for Diagon Alley. But the close shots have more of a Goblin Market feel (and the idea of magical marketplaces also predates Harry Potter - though they're usually run by Faeries - thus Goblin Market.)

Not sure what a goblin market is, but somehow with a name like that I expect it to involve goblins and not just humans/sims. ;)
    Anyway, there are bound to be many versions of magical markets in various books and movies. I think they went for a mixture of different views.

I noticed the green skinned sim and the ghost but it didn't remind me of goblins, still don't actually. (but of course that doesn't stop other people from thinking about goblins ;) )
    And the word bazaar also already crossed my mind as a possible description. A magical bazaar in space, never expected that in the sims. :D

SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there's no hats and that the magic world looks scifi.

Why? Because it's in space? I've never been of the Space = Sci-Fi mindset. Space is a setting. Sci-Fi requires a base coat of Science. It looks very fantasy/Urban Fantasy to me.

OK, you got a point, there is no science involved. But then it looks still more like space fantasy than the fantasy normally associated with magic.

Up close it looks more urban fantasy but from a distance it has a space vibe going on. Maybe this will change when we get a daytime screenshot, but until then it will remind me of sci-fi, even without the science present.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Henry Puffer is all I ever wanted yiss

:D
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2019
    Eh, I only see as much Hogwarts in Realm of Magic as JKR used from folklore and such to build her Wizarding world. Familars aren't really a thing in Harry Potter (they're more pets with useful tricks... sometimes) and in this they seem more active (basing this on tweets, not the trailer itself) which is more in keeping with D&D Familiars and general folklore (minus the demon part... maybe.)

And.. I kinda see the Magical Realm as more Hogsmede than Hogwarts...

Harry Potter is like 1% folklore. It's about as close to folklore as Sabrina. Seriously.
    I don't get people who say this doesn't look like Harry Potter, this whole trailer is like 90% just copied straight from it.

It does have an Harry Potter ring to it for me and that not bad as I love Harry Potter and I am praying that EA/Maxis did this right.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Yes wands and brooms equal Harry Potter okay then tell that to Dresden Files Lord of The Rings and DC Comics
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2019

If you want medieval fantasy and not pop culture based witchcraft.. This pack is gonna give you a bad time

A medieval fantasy (like the Sims Medieval) could have worked. A historically accturate based witch craft would have been a bad time. You could also clash it with modern themes every seamlessly that way you can play you can play with the setting to your hearts content. What
    Atreya33 wrote: »

A medieval/fairytale world would have been my first pick for this pack. Let's hope they do something like that in another pack.

And a bit more variety in worlds like African or Arabic would make for an even more unique feel for the worlds. And not to forget an Asian world too.

Yes! That would be so cool.
    fullspiral wrote: »

I’ve watched and read Harry Potter and I just wasn’t a fan, after the Goblet of Fire and half blood Prince I lost interest, I finished the movie just for moments like this so I can say I did watch all of it, and even saw Fantastic Beasts, and Crimes of Grindelwald, I liked Fantastic Beasts more I admit. But for Harry Potter the plot was okay but the representation of Magic was awful... okay now I see Harry Potter in this Pack. B)

I’m just happy we aren’t bound to pop culture, as far as the realm of Magic concerns me, it’s 100% optional. And can serve as a prison for my Spell casters who break the laws of magic and abuse it.
    You think Azkaban was Bad? This place will be a lot worse.

Yes i’m Taking ideas from other pop culture, but I also looking at old school lore, or which pop couture is based on. And then I make my own Lore about magic.

Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    At best medieval fantasy be for a Fairies Game Pack.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    . . . Maybe because I also think of the Bazaar on Daeva as a Goblin Market, even though that's technically a Demon (short for Dimension Hopper) market. (Real old fiction reference there... )

Sweet! Someone else who read the old "Myth" books by Robert Aspirin. Those were a lot of fun! :) I still pull some of them out now and then when I'm in the mood for a light read.

I think that the 'resemblance' to the Harry Potter series is kind of relative. Myself, I do indeed get a 'Harry Potter' feel from the RoM trailer. (As I did with the witches/wizards in TS3 as well.) It depends on your point of reference. I see some people looking at it in a way that I consider to be very literal -- does the magic world have a boarding school that looks like a huge castle, etc. I don't need specific set pieces to match up to feel that it draws from that series/setting myself.

Did Rowling create the various elements that made up Harry Potter? No, as many have said, she mostly drew upon existing lore. But putting all of those elements together into one setting and making it all work in a particular way -- that was definitely Rowling's creativity and unique take on things. When I was a kid (this may be somewhat an age thing too -- I grew up with "pre-Potter" imaginings of what magic was), wands were used as props by stage magicians and waved around by fairy godmothers to leave artful trails of glitter, but they weren't really a major element of spellcasting in most mainstream storytelling. Likewise, brooms were fanciful things ridden by the Wicked Witch in the Wizard of Oz and used in Halloween decorations, but weren't really a thing in most fantasy/magic stories until the Potter series brought them into the mainstream.

My earlier concepts of fantasy magic came from book series like the Xanth series by Piers Anthony, the aforementioned Myth books by Robert Aspirin, the Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist, the Belgariad by David Eddings as well as D&D style role-playing settings - those are of few of the ones I remember more clearly. (Yes, I'm an older Simmer, and I read a lot of books.) More recently I'd probably cite urban fantasy like The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher as a modern example of fantasy magic.

So when I look at the RoM trailer, I see the overall similarity to the "Potter-inspired" modern magic style. There's a literal 'hidden world' accessed via a magic portal (IE platform 9 3/4 and/or the entrance to Diagon Alley), there's a school of sorts where magic is taught (nevermind it not being a fully-fleshed-out boarding school -- a detail, IMO), looks like wands (maybe?) and brooms, a 'magic market' similar to Diagon Alley, etc. That's all a very recent sort of modern-take on magic in my thinking. Again -- the elements have all been around for ages, but putting them all together in this way, not so much. (For those of us born pre-Potter, anyway.)

So that's why I would definitely say it seems inspired by Harry Potter and similar modern themes. I see it pretty strongly, but I have a point-of-reference rooted in things a bit more like the "Mythic Europe" setting of Ars Magica. (An RPG from a little ways back.)
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    @Ayradyss I agree and very well thought out post. I can see the Harry Potter refs not gonna lie big Potter Fan and the guy in my avatar (pic for better look) looks a lot like Newt Scamander even his jacket highly resembles Newt's. But while that market is totally Diagon Alley and the brooms and wands are very HP I for most part feel a Magic Realm in Sabrina (family friendly not NFX Horror) and Fantastic Beasts vibe more than 2nd Wizarding War Era vibe.

realm-52.jpg
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited August 2019
    @Ayradyss I agree and very well thought out post. I can see the Harry Potter refs not gonna lie big Potter Fan and the guy in my avatar (pic for better look) looks a lot like Newt Scamander even his jacket highly resembles Newt's. But while that market is totally Diagon Alley and the brooms and wands are very HP I for most part feel a Magic Realm in Sabrina (family friendly not NFX Horror) and Fantastic Beasts vibe more than 2nd Wizarding War Era vibe.

Afraid the "Sabrina" reference is lost on me. I only watch a little TV these days, and haven't seen any of those shows. (I know of the original, from Bewitched, that I watched some re-runs of in syndication, who just wiggled her nose. And then there was Jeannie (different show) with her pony-tail flip.) As for distinguishing between Fantastic Beasts and the original Harry Potter series, my thinking is much broader and that isn't that meaningful to me. It's all the "Harry Potter" world/setting, the way I'm looking at it.

Edit: That's kind of what I was getting at earlier in mentioning how some folks are taking a much more 'literal' or perhaps narrower, more 'particular/specific' view than I am. When I say "like Harry Potter," I mean like that world/setting. Not necessarily like the specific scarred, teenage wizard or the specific building/edifice or sequence of events. But essentially having the workings of that setting -- same general elements and rules of how things work, and so on.

By contrast you could take the world/setting of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series which has different mechanics in terms of the workings of magic, how it's taught, who can do it, where it comes from, what it all entails. Broad strokes.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    Well I only think brooms, wands and clothing is HP esque rest more Charmed or other more modern shows.