Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All Of My Sims Are Hermits LOL

I have all of the packs and I NEVER send my Sims on vacation, out to eat at the restaurants, or to be pampered at the spas.

They don't go out to the bars, dancing at the lounges, or visit the festivals and events around the cities. They don't go to their neighbors house to hang out. They don't even jog around the neighborhood! They don't go bowling either, or to the gym. What's a museum? That word is not in their vocabulary.

Just thinking about it, and idk if it's just my disgust for the loading screens that I never truly got over or what's the deal but I never send them anywhere. (I hate those active careers that make you travel with your Sim, like Detective too because I don't wanna be involved, I don't wanna see them work, just go disappear at the rabbit hole and return in 8 hours. :# )

Whatever it is I want them to do, I'll put on their home lot. I'm quick to throw down a basement or a 3rd floor to give them a proper workout area.

I have a habit of wanting to experience something once, and then never do it again or it's a long time before I do it again. Like, I just got Island Living and sent a Sim to the beach. While there, I also had him woohoo in the waterfall and I saw the volcano. Now that I've done that, dassit, no more beaches! I plopped down a beach towel and a lounge chair in their backyard and called it a day! :D

Anybody else realize they do this as well or do your Sims travel everywhere?

Comments

• Options
    MorkovkaMorkovka Posts: 662 Member
    When I just got me TS4 a friend of mine who's been simming since TS1 said she minimized skill building equipment at homes as incentive to get her Sims out to public lots more often. I kind of borrowed that idea, partially. Can't do without stove, let them read books and dance at home, but make them travel for Fitness, Wellness, Climbing in gyms, playing chess in parks, do arts in arts center etc. Overall, trying to keep it balanced :)
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Morkovka wrote: »
    When I just got me TS4 a friend of mine who's been simming since TS1 said she minimized skill building equipment at homes as incentive to get her Sims out to public lots more often. I kind of borrowed that idea, partially. Can't do without stove, let them read books and dance at home, but make them travel for Fitness, Wellness, Climbing in gyms, playing chess in parks, do arts in arts center etc. Overall, trying to keep it balanced :)

Never considered that, that’s a good idea!

I feel like it would be kind of annoying a little bit to have to sit through those loading screens going from the library to the art gallery to the gym. I could try it though.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I go through phases. Some sims go out a lot, some rarely do. Perhaps you could send them out on the weekends/when they have time off work.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I go through phases. Some sims go out a lot, some rarely do. Perhaps you could send them out on the weekends/when they have time off work.

Time off? He’s got 4 jobs.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Too much loading aside, I also don't always want to take the entire household with me, but sims left at home can't properly take care of themselves, let alone of toddlers. It's ridiculous how every adult is all over the toddler while you're playing with them all, but leave them alone for five minutes and it's the Hunger Games at home! I once had to end Grandma's well-deserved vacation prematurely because the little one was slowly dying in the care of his utterly incompetent parents.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    hahahah I can SO relate to the hermit sims! Although, I do take my sims out some times, even on vacation. Festivals? I might actually go to the Flee Market. Its awesome for collections, if you're lucky to get what you're missing, like Snow Globes. I also love the active careers, mostly if I only have 1 sim in the house. Sims left behind are absolutely not capable of taking care of themselves or anyone else in their care. I avoid traveling if I have more than 3 sims in the house. Or even more than 2.

Also? When you've seen a sim tanning once, that's really enough. I find tanning boring in RL, watching my sims sunbathe is equally boring.

I avoid joining the premade clubs, because there is constant nag about having gatherings or just meeting up to "hang out" aka party all night. Especially if they call at like 10am and ask to hang out tonight, because we all know "tonight" means RIGHT NOW! NO, leave me alone! I have more important things to do, than dance and drink with you guys. I can do that also at home. If I wanted a gathering, I'd start one :#

Most of my houses are chock full of everything any sim needs for skills, including the big ones like the observatory or even space rockets. Also, basements featuring full home gyms and spa/wellness stuff, I'll even fit a pool down there. Also, usually a party room with bar, dj booth, dance floor etc. I can never build small or live very long in small houses. I need the space! :D

So yeah, my sims are just as reclusive as myself. I'm very much home-bound and I transfer that to my little people as well :)
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited July 2019
    Me too I guess, only going out when doing stuff with family or maybe when my sims bestfriend asked to go out but I rarely accepted until they begged to come over to my sims house instead
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Time off? He’s got 4 jobs.

No wonder he doesn't go anywhere!
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    I used to avoid having my sims go out for the loading screen too but, I tried it out and the loading screen for me isn't so long. Just a couple of seconds. Keeps me from getting bored of seeing the same thing over and over.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't find that surprising, unless you are playing with just one sim in your household, all the other sims will just sit at home doing nothing while you are away on another lot.

Talk about immersion breaking when you take one sim to the gym to work out in the morning, you get back in the afternoon and all your other sims are still in sleepwear and standing exactly where you left them.

I like that Maxis have added more options so you can work from home lately with laptops etc, makes the game more fun.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I take my sims out a lot less in ts4 than I did in 3.

A) because of loading screens
    B) because of the state sims get into who you leave behind

I do try to make an effort though. I make sure my libraries have skill books in them to save buying, I rarely get workout equipment so there is the gym to visit. I like to make family visits to the park/pool/beach etc at weekends. I also go out if I want my sims to make new friends or find a partner.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Which is why San Myshuno is one of the perfect neighborhoods for the hermit, you can basically meet all new people and can still participate in a local festival without triggering loading screen.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    ambaraambara Posts: 47 Member
    My sims are pretty much hermits too, though they do occasionally go out. Like when it's the event that everything is free. I don't want to ruin their holiday 😉

I would maybe like them to go out a bit more but can't stand how badly the sims handle being left on their own and it's not convenient to always bring the whole household. The biggest problem was toddlers since daycare was completely broken and other sims left at home (including nanny) don't really work either so I had to plan their lives so that the toddlers are never ever left alone. Now it still isn't perfect but at least daycare was fixed so that's something. But since my sims already own everything they need... no reason to really go out now is there?
  • Options
    sueplayssimssueplayssims Posts: 126 Member
    I used to hate my Sims leaving to go to community lots because of the time it takes and it used to seem like more hassle than it was worth. I've made an effort to change my playing style to try new things and send my Sims out, meeting new people etc. I really like the idea of having minimal skill equipment at home. Seems like an interesting way to make play more interesting
  • Options
    RepoRepo Posts: 344 Member
    My sims were more hermits in the first year or so of the game (I've had since day one) than they are now. The loading screen caused me problems at first because my computer was older and slower and because things in real life kept happening every time I sent my sims anywhere.
    If I sent my sim traveling it was inevitable that the dog would want out, there was a package at the door I needed to sign for, then elderly kitty was making vomit noises (and would throw up on something hard to clean) or nature would call loudly in a don't ignore way. That and the culling policy at the time are what led me to use MC command Center (which I still love for many reasons). Now my game pauses on zone and I don't have to worry my game playing on if the dog wants out or there is a package at the door etc.

My sims don't normally have kids until they are adults and have completed some aspirations and are high in their career if they have one or are freelance or self employed. When they have kids the kids are their main focus while they are infants/toddlers and parent(s) have things to do at home or are at work while kids are in school. They generally don't leave the lot unless everyone goes.

I have more trouble with my sims being social hermits. I am often so busy having them get ahead with a career, develop skills, collecting making things or their family that I forget to have them invite friends over or have them go to public lots to socialize (going to public lots is hard unless you take the kids) . Yes, sometimes I do make them loners, but I often don't originally intend for most of them to be . I (mostly) like how socialization works in game and it can be a lot of fun and good story telling, but I am not personally very social and have to work at not getting too focused on other things in game and have them enjoy being social.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    My Sims are going out a lot. Loading screens don't bother me at all. I get bored really easily if I just make my Sims stay at home. I place a lot of community lots and at least every other day I take my Sims out to do something fun and meet other Sims.
    I often forget vacations, though. I go to Selvadorada a lot with my archaeologist Sim, but for some reason I seem to forget that Granite Falls exists.
  • Options
    NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    edited July 2019
    My single Sims are out and about all the time. But the bigger the household the less they travel. Family with 2 or more kids for example will not get out of their neighborhood at all. I do have them throw parties though in that case to bring the outside world to them, so to speak.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited July 2019
    I don't think I would call my sims hermits, although most of them definitely spend a lot of their time at home or nearby e.g. jogging or walking the dog. For me it really depends on my mood and the sim/household where they go and how often. My main household are a family of supernatural sims trying to blend in with humans so it makes sense for them not to go out too much, particularly my good vampire sim as he is an introvert and prefers to keep away from 'temptation'. He used to go out more with his partner i.e. to parks/gardens, restaurants, lounges, festivals, the bowling alley, and Granite Falls, but now he is a parent he just doesn't have much time to. He's even had to quit his job as a manager and become a freelance writer to care for and teach his toddler at home while his partner has had to get two part-time jobs. He does sometimes meet up for toddler play dates at the park with a good friend who is also a busy stay-at-home parent or go out with the same friend to the spa for some quality 'wellness time' when their partners are home to take care of the little ones. They sometimes go out as a family to the park or beach too when his partner isn't working (and it isn't raining. They live in Brindleton Bay so they end up having a lot of rainy weekends in) or go on dates as a couple. I also plan for them to save Strangerville and explore Selvadorada at some point, and for my vampire sim to become the leader of the Avant Gardes club, but like in real life it's harder to fit things in when you have a family, especially a clingy toddler! Once she becomes a child and starts school they should have more time to do things like holidays and days out and perhaps purchase a little book shop for my vampire sim to write and sell books. I am enjoying the toddler stage so much though that it might be a while before that happens.
    Post edited by annaliese39 on
  • Options
    HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I'm playing a household of 6 with 4 children (2 teens, 1 child, 1 toddler) plus a cat and taking them out is so hard. I try to pick one member to focus on for the day (usually one of the teens) and go out, but that is rare since there is typically a lot going on around the house.

Whenever someone gets an invite from a friend to go out I have to think really hard on whether or not I can let them go... I feel like an overbearing guardian :lol:
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited July 2019
    I love taking my sims out to different lots. I don't do it as much as I'd like to though because it bothers me when I only take the adults at night time and then all the toddlers and kids have full needs when they get home. I want all my sims in bed at night time. What I don't want is my exhausted adults coming home to a house full of energized children. The loading screens don't bother me as they load pretty fast for me.
  • Options
    IsaggiIsaggi Posts: 1 New Member
    I make most (if not all) of my Sims hermits. I actually almost never give them jobs because I hate them getting out of home. I do hate having to go out of my house, so my Sims reflect that reality :D
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I do... But I try to force myself to play in ways I don't usually play all the time. During loading screen I just browse CC sites (this is how I ended up with a ton of CC)
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't keep Sims at home much in these games since 2000. I hope they don't read telemetry and decide Sims can just do it all at home, that would be pretty boring to me. My Sims are out until they pass out, no matter where they go.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Becka28Becka28 Posts: 1,870 Member
    My sims love to go out and about. When they get older and have lots of children they stay on their home lots more often but then clubs and parties bring the outside world in. I barely notice the loading screens because they are so brief (unlike the long wait for rabbithole events to end.) In real life, I often can't get out and about much so I rely on my sims to enjoy life in a way I can't.
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited July 2019
    I haven't done much exploring with this game, i'm curious to know more about lounge, bar, nightclub, being invited to the bluffs in Windenburg and so forth, it would be an interesting experience to get into those a lot more. Been so focused on keeping tight control i often put those side activities where they are, i mean the only time i really went out with a sim is down to a gym to get an aspiration goal for bodybuilder completed, beyond that, nada