Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Forward To the End Of TS4

Comments

• Options
    AlexcielAlexciel Posts: 126 Member
    I'm going to drop here a comment extracted for a Parent-Review website, were a parent ask that TS4 should remove more content.

***************************************************************************************
    Bug says:
    November 7, 2018 at 11:15 pm

The company needs to delete the sexual content. This is another example of media telling girls that having enlarged breasts and butt is more attractive. Also, showing that if they put a few good things into the video game, like managing money, consumers should ignore the inappropriate material. There is no need for the sexual aspects to be included in this game.
    ***************************************************************************************

And another one:

Is there a password protection option on the SIMS4 game? We only want our daughter (8 years) to play this game when we are about. She was beside herself when some of the characters inexplicably(!?) died (much to our horror – yes, it was our fault for not understanding the game!). I have had a scout round in the options menu but nothing obvious there. Thanks

I think catering to girls is not the problem, catering to parents is.
    Source: geekdad.com, parents-should-know-about-the-sims-4

(You will have to search for it, I'm not able to post the link)
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Alexciel wrote: »
    I'm going to drop here a comment extracted for a Parent-Review website, were a parent ask that TS4 should remove more content.

Bug says:

The company needs to delete the sexual content. This is another example of media telling girls that having enlarged breasts and butt is more attractive. Also, showing that if they put a few good things into the video game, like managing money, consumers should ignore the inappropriate material. There is no need for the sexual aspects to be included in this game.

And another one:

Is there a password protection option on the SIMS4 game? We only want our daughter (8 years) to play this game when we are about. She was beside herself when some of the characters inexplicably(!?) died (much to our horror – yes, it was our fault for not understanding the game!). I have had a scout round in the options menu but nothing obvious there. Thanks

Don’t those parents know there are games out there for their kids? Other games? Suitable games? And that Sims isn’t it?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited July 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    I get it's your opinion, Cinebar, and TBH mostly the reason I come to these forums is to read your posts and others from people like you, ones that are well-written, logical, and not silly gushing praise.

Yes, EA has stereotyped teen girls and as a former teen girl (a loooooong time ago!) it makes me want to barf. Nevertheless, I stand by **my** opinion that strong intelligent women could make this game series better just as well as strong intelligent men could. Testosterone not required. But I think we all know that all EA sees is dollar signs. On the minor points, can we agree to respectfully disagree?

I agree so much with this sentiment - I wonder what women who "grow up" to be our doctors, first responders, etc., think of being peg-holed into mindless "girlie" rainbows & sunshine teens who can't handle any sort of consequences in a game, of all things...

Like someone else pointed out - there are men already working on this game. Are we to assume they think like teenage girls now and this is all they are capable of producing in what used to be a more challenging game overall?

You seem to forget that EA highly supports that in their Girls who Code program. One of the very few big companies that does support female working on games. https://www.ea.com/news/girls-who-code-2017

Yeah, but The Sims is not a game for young girls only. It‘s also for boys and adults, it‘s a life simulator!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2019
    Sucom wrote: »
    altg1229 wrote: »
    I agree, Sims 4 does appear to be aimed at a young girly audience, which is strange because they knew when they made the game that they have many different kinds and ages of people playing previous sims games. Sims 4 is much too young and happy for me to enjoy it as a valid life simulation game. Maybe a life simulation for very young people but not for many of the people who played Sims 2 and 3. I have seen many older players, just like me! It just doesn't match up at all. It doesn't compare. In fact it should have been advertised as a completely new game specifically aimed at females between 10 and 15. It should definitely not have been advertised as a follow on from Sims 2 and 3. It's nothing like the same. They know it, the players know it. What I honestly can't understand is why they think their players would have been happy with it. And I honestly can't understand why they are sticking with Sims 4 for such a long time! :(:(:( What a major disappointment from what should have been a brilliant game.

I don't really think this is fair. Young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game, in fact, I think many of them would prefer it. After all, myself and a huge number of others in the community started playing Sims 2 and 3 as young girls. I started playing TS2 when I was eleven years old, in 5th grade. I don't know who TS4 is designed for, but I don't really like this attitude that it's a bad game because it's marketed to young/teen girls. It's a bad game because it's a shallow, poorly designed game lol.

My post wasn't really about the younger female generation - I'm not getting at them at all so perhaps I did sound a little unfair with my words. They have their place in the world just like older people like me, lol. I was younger once :) I like that you say that young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game and that they may indeed prefer it. I should have said this game must be aimed at 7 to 10 years olds - I probably would have been closer to the truth!

I'm not really saying it's a bad game 'because' it's aimed at young girls. What I'm really saying is it's a bad game because it doesn't cater for all generations - generations they absolutely KNOW play the game. They left older people out completely, for some reason, because they made the game pretty childish (in my humble opinion). And you're right, teens aren't childish at all - I certainly wasn't, although if I'm honest I don't think I was ever childish - I've always been a little on the serious side :)

And I also agree with you, it is a very shallow, poorly designed game. We are definitely on the same team.

"What I'm really saying is it's a bad game because it doesn't cater for all generations - generations they absolutely KNOW play the game."
    In my opinion, generations of players don't have anything to do with that... I think, that someone from the company planned this game as simpler, (and cheaper) version of old solutions plus some new things, like moodlets and, of course, new graphics. They knew, that the title is popular, many "new and old Simmers" will buy it no matter what.
    Guys, you are the elite of players. Most of EA customers playing "from time to time", making fast challenges, enjoying cute clothes and furniture, wanting laundry and other "home, realistic stuff". They don't need chemistry, complicated situations in game, but they will be happy, because they get a horse. :wink:
    Of course, they will say, that the game is quite boring, but they do not know why... Maybe a car will save the world?
    So, we are paying, and paying, and waiting and this is all, what the developers want. :(
    Why they bother with complicated things like families connections, Sims reactions, relationship, when they just add some new animations and simple quest? It's easier and cheaper... :(
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member

Bug says:

And another one:

Lol this would explaine why this game has become kids game. "There is no need for sexual aspects to in this game" in lifesimulation? So did her kids fall from sky if life simulation game dont need 'innaprobable material'
    People are way too sensivity these days.
    People want to farm gamepa0ck but we cant eat the meat. Some wish we could just hug the animals and dont allow other players to have a choice because of them.
    So parends, just lock up you're kids in a room so they can't see anything 'bad'
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    logion wrote: »
    One thing that I really don't like with this is how they do not seem to have scaled down on their marketing with their trailers and pictures showcasing the game. Those trailers and pictures are made by their marketing team and are showing stuff that are either not in the game, or made to look like it is a much more developed feature in the game. They have clearly edited all the sims and given them custom animations so the game looks better, and they are always showing it off so it looks better than it is.

Seriously, just look on the picture they have on origin, anyone seeing this would think that you could swim underwater like that.

original.jpg

Yeah they made custom animations for the trailer too. Just like Strangerville; they put more money into making the packs look good than they do developing the packs! I can only imagine how much of the dev budget they spent getting the voice actress from Moana to provide 30 seconds of audio for the trailer. Meanwhile the pack is barren and full of half-finished ideas and bad ideas they ripped from other packs because it’s easier and cheaper than making something new :eye roll:

But hey the backdrop is gorgeous!

Yes! This also bothered me. Why did they hire Moana, which undeniably is more expensive than a regular voice actor? Like, spend those dollars on gameplay and not a pretty trailer voice.

A good expansion sells better than an expansion whose trailer has a voice-over by Moana herself
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member

Bug says:

And another one:

Lol this would explaine why this game has become kids game. "There is no need for sexual aspects to in this game" in lifesimulation? So did her kids fall from sky if life simulation game dont need 'innaprobable material'
    People are way too sensivity these days.
    People want to farm gamepa0ck but we cant eat the meat. Some wish we could just hug the animals and dont allow other players to have a choice because of them.
    So parends, just lock up you're kids in a room so they can't see anything 'bad'

I btw started to play the sims when i was like 5y.
    I remember the time when all my sims just get stuck in one bathroom and they all die one by one. I couldn't do anything and i cry because i missed those sims hahaa.
    But didn't get any trauma. Lol
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    "We only want our daughter (8 years) to play this game when we are about. She was beside herself when some of the characters inexplicably(!?) died (much to our horror – yes, it was our fault for not understanding the game!)"

Pardon me... On my cover there is a big, yellow 12yo.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/RNzp9eb9RexpcFB89
    12yo... No comment.
  • Options
    Now that I've managed to get my Sims 3 game back, I'm moving back to it again with the hope that sometime in the not too distant future, someone will say 'Hey, we need to up our game a bit and create what our players actually want in a Sims game.' At that point, if it ever happens, I will return to spend some of my money on a Sims game but for now, it's just a ....... massive disappointment ..... from so many perspectives.

Sims 5 hopefully is a mixture of Sims 3‘s freedom of open world and color wheel and Sims 2‘s gameplay!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    logion wrote: »
    One thing that I really don't like with this is how they do not seem to have scaled down on their marketing with their trailers and pictures showcasing the game. Those trailers and pictures are made by their marketing team and are showing stuff that are either not in the game, or made to look like it is a much more developed feature in the game. They have clearly edited all the sims and given them custom animations so the game looks better, and they are always showing it off so it looks better than it is.

Seriously, just look on the picture they have on origin, anyone seeing this would think that you could swim underwater like that.

original.jpg

Yeah they made custom animations for the trailer too. Just like Strangerville; they put more money into making the packs look good than they do developing the packs! I can only imagine how much of the dev budget they spent getting the voice actress from Moana to provide 30 seconds of audio for the trailer. Meanwhile the pack is barren and full of half-finished ideas and bad ideas they ripped from other packs because it’s easier and cheaper than making something new :eye roll:

But hey the backdrop is gorgeous!

Yes! This also bothered me. Why did they hire Moana, which undeniably is more expensive than a regular voice actor? Like, spend those dollars on gameplay and not a pretty trailer voice.

A good expansion sells better than an expansion whose trailer has a voice-over by Moana herself

Thy did what ?Off topic but I saw pictures of the island restrooms featuring Moana.
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited July 2019
    Aericia wrote: »
    I agree, Sims 4 does appear to be aimed at a young girly audience, which is strange because they knew when they made the game that they have many different kinds and ages of people playing previous sims games. Sims 4 is much too young and happy for me to enjoy it as a valid life simulation game. Maybe a life simulation for very young people but not for many of the people who played Sims 2 and 3. I have seen many older players, just like me! It just doesn't match up at all. It doesn't compare. In fact it should have been advertised as a completely new game specifically aimed at females between 10 and 15. It should definitely not have been advertised as a follow on from Sims 2 and 3. It's nothing like the same. They know it, the players know it. What I honestly can't understand is why they think their players would have been happy with it. And I honestly can't understand why they are sticking with Sims 4 for such a long time! :(:(:( What a major disappointment from what should have been a brilliant game.

I don't really think this is fair. Young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game, in fact, I think many of them would prefer it. After all, myself and a huge number of others in the community started playing Sims 2 and 3 as young girls. I started playing TS2 when I was eleven years old, in 5th grade. I don't know who TS4 is designed for, but I don't really like this attitude that it's a bad game because it's marketed to young/teen girls. It's a bad game because it's a shallow, poorly designed game lol.

My post wasn't really about the younger female generation - I'm not getting at them at all so perhaps I did sound a little unfair with my words. They have their place in the world just like older people like me, lol. I was younger once :) I like that you say that young girls can appreciate a realistic life simulation game and that they may indeed prefer it. I should have said this game must be aimed at 7 to 10 years olds - I probably would have been closer to the truth!

I'm not really saying it's a bad game 'because' it's aimed at young girls. What I'm really saying is it's a bad game because it doesn't cater for all generations - generations they absolutely KNOW play the game. They left older people out completely, for some reason, because they made the game pretty childish (in my humble opinion). And you're right, teens aren't childish at all - I certainly wasn't, although if I'm honest I don't think I was ever childish - I've always been a little on the serious side :)

And I also agree with you, it is a very shallow, poorly designed game. We are definitely on the same team.

"What I'm really saying is it's a bad game because it doesn't cater for all generations - generations they absolutely KNOW play the game."
    In my opinion, generations of players don't have anything to do with that... I think, that someone from the company planned this game as simpler, (and cheaper) version of old solutions plus some new things, like moodlets and, of course, new graphics. They knew, that the title is popular, many "new and old Simmers" will buy it no matter what.
    Guys, you are the elite of players. Most of EA customers playing "from time to time", making fast challenges, enjoying cute clothes and furniture, wanting laundry and other "home, realistic stuff". They don't need chemistry, complicated situations in game, but they will be happy, because they get a horse. :wink:
    Of course, they will say, that the game is quite boring, but they do not know why... Maybe a car will save the world?
    So, we are paying, and paying, and waiting and this is all, what the developers want. :(
    Why they bother with complicated things like families connections, Sims reactions, relationship, when they just add some new animations and simple quest? It's easier and cheaper... :(

Had to laugh at horse comment, Aericia! :)

Spot on in your last sentence. You get it.

They would make so much more $$$$ long term if they developed the complicated stuff into one game and created the happy pony game as an offshoot.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    I found a comment from user Honeywell over on Mod The Sims from July 2014 talking about The Sims 4.

15cyczc.jpg

Soap opera like gameplay... Shallow stage dressing... Concerns the game is even stable...

Issues we complain about nowadays were being complained about five years ago. Nothing has changed. We still have shallow gameplay, we still have rife set dressing as seen with recent expansions and we still have plenty of bugs, both old and new. At this point I believe no amount of complaining will change anything, we're way too far in.
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    JosieAnglinJosieAnglin Posts: 591 Member
    I think that it's going to be at least 2 years before they even start working on TS5.. I think they said they wanted to have so many packs before they even started on a new game. Who knows though, maybe it's already in production.

I don't think it will change anything though. If you are unhappy with the game now I feel like you will continue to be disappointed. Just because you feel like something should be one way, doesn't mean that is the direction the devs want to go with it. At the end of the day, the devs are going to win.

I do think listening to the consumers is an extremely beneficial business tactic, however, think of all the many different opinions that are conflicting and coming to you as a dev. Who do you listen to? People that want it A or people who want it B? Usually what happens is they go down the middle to try to compromise for all the consumers, then it ends up feeling incomplete because neither side got what they truly wanted and it just becomes a mess of opinions again.

I'm not vouching for them; even I have complaints about the game. However if I was that unhappy with the game, I wouldn't continue to support it and purchase future games/DLC.
  • Options
    They would make so much more $$$$ long term if they developed the complicated stuff into one game and created the happy pony game as an offshoot.

You think like a player, my friend. ;)
    Think like a developer. "If you don't have to do something, don't do it". :(
    Of course, the critics reviews might be worse, but till they do not have any competitors and people paying for their games, nothing will change, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    altg1229altg1229 Posts: 89 Member
    "We only want our daughter (8 years) to play this game when we are about. She was beside herself when some of the characters inexplicably(!?) died (much to our horror – yes, it was our fault for not understanding the game!)"

Pardon me... On my cover there is a big, yellow 12yo.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/RNzp9eb9RexpcFB89
    12yo... No comment.

I know right...... T for TEEN yet they're shocked when something they don't want their 8 year old CHILD exposed to happens? Imagine what they'll do if that child figures out how to make her sims woohoo?
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    I think that it's going to be at least 2 years before they even start working on TS5.. I think they said they wanted to have so many packs before they even started on a new game. Who knows though, maybe it's already in production.

I don't think it will change anything though. If you are unhappy with the game now I feel like you will continue to be disappointed. Just because you feel like something should be one way, doesn't mean that is the direction the devs want to go with it. At the end of the day, the devs are going to win.

I do think listening to the consumers is an extremely beneficial business tactic, however, think of all the many different opinions that are conflicting and coming to you as a dev. Who do you listen to? People that want it A or people who want it B? Usually what happens is they go down the middle to try to compromise for all the consumers, then it ends up feeling incomplete because neither side got what they truly wanted and it just becomes a mess of opinions again.

I'm not vouching for them; even I have complaints about the game. However if I was that unhappy with the game, I wouldn't continue to support it and purchase future games/DLC.

I don't think anyone is asking for A or B. I don't think it's because anyone wants the game to go 'this way' or 'that way'. Sims 4 isn't a compromise of anything really. It's gone a completely different way from previous sims games, which is a shame because they had an awful lot of loyal followers who they have thrown by the wayside.

I think it's a pity that their most loyal players are unable to support the game further. That's not generally how I was taught to conduct a business, but you're right of course - the best thing to do when you're unhappy with something, is abandon it and move on.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

You think like a player, my friend. ;)
    Think like a developer. "If you don't have to do something, don't do it". :(
    Of course, the critics reviews might be worse, but till they do not have any competitors and people paying for their games, nothing will change, I'm afraid.

Unfortunately, you are right.
    I wish the developers had the freedom and leeway that we players want back in the game.
    What a shame.
    I thought the consumer was always right - but I guess when a company becomes too big and doesn't "need" us - it obviously shows.
    Too bad - this will be their legacy - the killing of any intelligence left of what was a great series.
    Post edited by knuckleduster on
  • Options
    edited July 2019

TS5 is already in production, SimGuruGrant recently changed his leading position to “work on the podcasts“, which we to this date have only seen one. :D
    He‘s definitely working on Sims 5, he just isn‘t allowed to admit it
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Imagine what they'll do if that child figures out how to make her sims woohoo?
    Call the exorcist, I'm afraid. ;)

And this is funny too... OMG, no adult content, kissing like on scout camp, but when your male Sim is taken by aliens and be pregnant against his will it ok and funny. :D Do not mention vampire romantic skill, who make Sims flirting with vampire... Yes, it makes sense. :D
    (And I like it! But could they stop talking "no adult content" when they want to make a life simulator. It's like GTA producers make game without guns and cars only for a ride). :)
  • Options

I think there is a simple formula - listen to what works and then build from that.

The original game got everybody hooked. They built upon that - added more. The third - they opened up the worlds and pulled back a bit on the depth of what Sims 2 had in gameplay - but, because, from what I understand, limitations to people's systems - they had to make it accessible to all and not many can afford high end systems that can run everything.

Take all of those - we are now coming into 2019/2020 - you would think they would have common sense not to take away everything that everybody has become used to playing with and reselling them half-baked and piecemeal.

It is one thing to say it is the consumer's faults because there are conflicting wants for the game - but there is a simple solution - go back to what worked.

The formula is already there. Just bring it up to date - make a base game with seasons, open world, etc. Then build from there - but a real base game.

• Options
    wamayeliwamayeli Posts: 147 Member
    edited July 2019
    james64468 wrote: »
    Bugs and bugs that main issue with Sims 4. I am looking forward to day where there is fresh gaming engine for this series.

And we get new game engine whit same bugs and problems. Then we buy same things over again for many hundreds dollars and see how much they cut off features this time like before. This cycle just keep running if ea dont change things.
    Thats why i'm not that looking forvard to next sims searie.

This is so true. If the (EA) past predicts the future, I'm not too optimistic about the state of Sims 5. If I had not played Sims since the beginning (and have such great memories of playing) I wouldn't be playing Sims 4 now. I guess EA is counting on that history to keep us fans buying the series, but that only works for so long before long term fans give up in despair at the loss of such a great (decade and a half of) gaming experience.

edit: and I'm saying "decade and a half" of "great" experience even though I've been playing sims since 2000.
    Post edited by wamayeli on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Honestly, Sims 4 should have improved on Sims 3 and not take away features from the base game.
    It should have had open world, but without lag (it‘s possible) and easy to use color wheel for customization! Instead they went the lazy route by giving us a repurposed, scrapped multiplayer Sims game with a 2D map last seen at The Sims 1.

While Sims 4 improved in areas like CAS, they completely dropped meaningful gameplay features such as Sims having meaningful traits that give you more than just a random moodlet or the open world and the ability to customize your own town like in Sims 2 and Sims 3. Also no color wheel/ Create A Style!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Is The Sims 4 meant to be a 'safe space' game or is it just another excuse from EA for not doing anything right?
    raw
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top