Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

there are no new whims in island living and

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited June 2019
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    Felicity wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they've given up on whims, unfortunately.

I wish they hadn't. I wish they'd make whims matter more. Either update them, add fears, and/or add an Aspiration meter through a Freetime EP, that is filled by fulfilling whims.

An aspiration style meter would work wonders for the game in terms of rewards and impacts. Sims 2 had the right idea, but 3's reward system was okay too and felt more impactful to me.

The fact that whims are turned off by default now says a lot.
    @PrincipleOfEntropy
    I know right!? It made sense if it was the opposite because they are omitting a game feature, especially to new players who don't even realize it's an option to turn them on in the options menu.

I have been requesting a whim overhaul for ages but nothing has come from it sadly, it doesn't even seem like they read the plum surveys they put up to improve the quality of the game ahaha what a joke. I loved doing wishes in TS3 and in TS2 wants and fears were one integral part of the game, almost like a 9th need we needed to fulfil in order to make sims happy. It was like sims had minds of their own and fulfilling those wants made them have a happy life. Having a baby, getting a car, getting a job in a certain career, going on vacation to a certain place, seeing the children have good grades, get a degree in something, get into the dean's list, gain a sill level in cooking, befriend x sim....now it doesn't matter and it annoys me to be honest. Most of the whims are the same and it's always "buy this" and "buy that" or "chat" or "call someone".....oh well.

Most importantly also, was the fact that whims co-related to the sim's traits and aspiration. TS4 shouldn't have a dedicated whim based on a sim's emotion, it should be the opposite so that you'd have to put a sim in an emotional state to fulfil a whim. I think it was like that in the beginning idk why they changed it, it doesn't make much sense to me because you are then "forced" to do that whim in a short window because your sim's emotion will change at any given time and that whim will forcibly change. It just doesn't make sense.

The fact you can switch aspirations at any time without losing progress or without any sort of repercussions is a mistake too. It completely removes any and all weight from choosing a lifetime goal/aspiration for your Sims. In Sims 2 and 3 it was a momentous decision that would heavily impact the rest of your Sim's life.

In 2 the aspiration you chose, for the majority of the time, decided all wants and fears outside of a few big life events. In 3 it used to strengthen certain wants and increase rewards pertaining to them, and you couldn't change it without investing 10,000 aspiration points, so you'd best be certain before settling on which one you wanted for your Sim.

Sims 4 literally has zero thought in the same areas. Nothing. It might have been much better if they designed it so you couldn't change aspiration without either spending satisfaction points or completing your current one first.

With that said, that whim reserved for current emotional status might have been better reserved for your Sim's aspiration. That way they always have a whim related to their current goal.

Thing is, player can follow the rule of changing the whim when&if they decide. The bigger problem with aspiration in TS4 is the problem you're force to complete given task before another ones appear to reach the ultimate goal. That's the issue that needs remedying the most. It was wise that they gave the option to change aspiration at whim, because doing them is super boring and repetitive.
    @comicsforlife have you ever tough that games evoles and that also go for the sims game not every player of the game are into wants or whims as a player i am not so for me its not something that i find important as a player never bothered my self with those in pass sims game and its not something i went to see return in game i think they need to modernise the sims game and not bring back content from older game but thats my toughs as a player.
    @friendlysimmers
    Laundry was brought back just as you desired yourself, so, with no disrepect, but wouldn't you be lying to yourself? Personal cars were also in TS2 & TS3, but you wish they return them in TS4 despite while "think(ing) they need to modernise the sims game and not bring back content from older game"?

Or your stance is that not bring back content that others want except for what you want? Just curious, because I'm confused by this oxymoron you expressed.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    And fix personalities by the way!
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Honestly, this is why the game has been so boring for me lately. What's the point if Sims have no wants? Might as well just leave them on free play all the time.
    I absolutely don't understand what's so hard about programming whims in relation to the Sims' traits and what's going on around them, and put some limits in place so that the same whims don't pop up all the time too. It would make the game so much more interesting.

It's not difficult to add new whims, but you need to actually play the game to see what works best and which whims need to be tuned down or given more strenght. I'm constantly updating my whimoverhaul mod when I play and notice something. It's an easy task each time, though.
    I'm not sure whether EA actually play the game they give us thoroughly anymore. Just think about all the bugs that become apparant in no time after a new patch releases.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    Honestly, this is why the game has been so boring for me lately. What's the point if Sims have no wants? Might as well just leave them on free play all the time.
    I absolutely don't understand what's so hard about programming whims in relation to the Sims' traits and what's going on around them, and put some limits in place so that the same whims don't pop up all the time too. It would make the game so much more interesting.

It's not difficult to add new whims, but you need to actually play the game to see what works best and which whims need to be tuned down or given more strenght. I'm constantly updating my whimoverhaul mod when I play and notice something. It's an easy task each time, though.
    I'm not sure whether EA actually play the game they give us thoroughly anymore. Just think about all the bugs that become apparant in no time after a new patch releases.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I am actually very surprised that there aren't any whims related to Island Living, considering it's an EP. City Living EP had tons of whims, relative to the city, the most annoying one that kept popping up, was give apartment key, but at least we had them.
    So it really makes me wonder what happened, because a lot of stuff just seems off in this EP (i.e. no multi-tasking on lounge chairs, no transformation when turning into a mermaid, etc.).

Not to get off topic, it just seems like a lot of stuff is missing in this EP in general. & OP, I agree with 100% on these whims. I actually use whims all the time as I like to play off what my Sims want. But what keeps popping up are the same whims over and over again: walk pet (even if you don't own a pet), buy a bee box, etc. I also find it interesting that Whims by default is set as off in Game Options. It seems like this would be the other way around, where by Default, whims are turned on. Sims have always had wants. So for the default to be off, that just seems odd too.
  • Options
    EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey - heads up that I merged two topics into a single one as discussion was similar in both so it made sense to have all the feedback together :)
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    hey everybody their asking us what they can do to get us to rate sims 4 higher in this survey so please tell them how you feel about whims being gone as well as anything else you would like to see improved
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    hey everybody their asking us what they can do to get us to rate sims 4 higher in this survey so please tell them how you feel about whims being gone as well as anything else you would like to see improved

I did the survey and told them to fix the whims, lol.
    Seriously. I'm so gutted about this. I honestly find playing boring now - at least whims were giving me a (vague) idea of what my Sims wanted to do, and something to do short of letting them go on free will all the time.
  • Options
    SerraNolwenSerraNolwen Posts: 731 Member
    Ok, that's really disappointing. I use whims to pick some of my actions when I don't know what to do with sims because they have done what they can to reach their goals for the moment and are kind of waiting for the next step. I get that Strangerville whims might not be evident (though it would be nice to have at least a few based on the paranoid trait, like go in a basement, bug someone or ask "nearby sim caught whispering" questions, and it would be funny to have whims about interacting with the plants, or whims based on the military career) As for Island Living, it seems like the easiest expansion to add whims for: go to the beach, suntan, find shells, meet a mermaid, etc.
  • Options

I did the survey and told them to fix the whims, lol.
    Seriously. I'm so gutted about this. I honestly find playing boring now - at least whims were giving me a (vague) idea of what my Sims wanted to do, and something to do short of letting them go on free will all the time.

I feel the same way
  • Options
    Ok, that's really disappointing. I use whims to pick some of my actions when I don't know what to do with sims because they have done what they can to reach their goals for the moment and are kind of waiting for the next step. I get that Strangerville whims might not be evident (though it would be nice to have at least a few based on the paranoid trait, like go in a basement, bug someone or ask "nearby sim caught whispering" questions, and it would be funny to have whims about interacting with the plants, or whims based on the military career) As for Island Living, it seems like the easiest expansion to add whims for: go to the beach, suntan, find shells, meet a mermaid, etc.

yes I know island living does seem like an easy pack to make whims I wish stangerville had them to
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    It just felt to me like I took my Sim to the beach and they had no desire to do anything there :(
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    Yeah, I think they've given up on whims, unfortunately.

I wish they hadn't. I wish they'd make whims matter more. Either update them, add fears, and/or add an Aspiration meter through a Freetime EP, that is filled by fulfilling whims.

An aspiration style meter would work wonders for the game in terms of rewards and impacts. Sims 2 had the right idea, but 3's reward system was okay too and felt more impactful to me.

The fact that whims are turned off by default now says a lot.
    @PrincipleOfEntropy
    I know right!? It made sense if it was the opposite because they are omitting a game feature, especially to new players who don't even realize it's an option to turn them on in the options menu.

I have been requesting a whim overhaul for ages but nothing has come from it sadly, it doesn't even seem like they read the plum surveys they put up to improve the quality of the game ahaha what a joke. I loved doing wishes in TS3 and in TS2 wants and fears were one integral part of the game, almost like a 9th need we needed to fulfil in order to make sims happy. It was like sims had minds of their own and fulfilling those wants made them have a happy life. Having a baby, getting a car, getting a job in a certain career, going on vacation to a certain place, seeing the children have good grades, get a degree in something, get into the dean's list, gain a sill level in cooking, befriend x sim....now it doesn't matter and it annoys me to be honest. Most of the whims are the same and it's always "buy this" and "buy that" or "chat" or "call someone".....oh well.

Most importantly also, was the fact that whims co-related to the sim's traits and aspiration. TS4 shouldn't have a dedicated whim based on a sim's emotion, it should be the opposite so that you'd have to put a sim in an emotional state to fulfil a whim. I think it was like that in the beginning idk why they changed it, it doesn't make much sense to me because you are then "forced" to do that whim in a short window because your sim's emotion will change at any given time and that whim will forcibly change. It just doesn't make sense.

The fact you can switch aspirations at any time without losing progress or without any sort of repercussions is a mistake too. It completely removes any and all weight from choosing a lifetime goal/aspiration for your Sims. In Sims 2 and 3 it was a momentous decision that would heavily impact the rest of your Sim's life.

In 2 the aspiration you chose, for the majority of the time, decided all wants and fears outside of a few big life events. In 3 it used to strengthen certain wants and increase rewards pertaining to them, and you couldn't change it without investing 10,000 aspiration points, so you'd best be certain before settling on which one you wanted for your Sim.

Sims 4 literally has zero thought in the same areas. Nothing. It might have been much better if they designed it so you couldn't change aspiration without either spending satisfaction points or completing your current one first.

With that said, that whim reserved for current emotional status might have been better reserved for your Sim's aspiration. That way they always have a whim related to their current goal.

Thing is, player can follow the rule of changing the whim when&if they decide. The bigger problem with aspiration in TS4 is the problem you're force to complete given task before another ones appear to reach the ultimate goal. That's the issue that needs remedying the most. It was wise that they gave the option to change aspiration at whim, because doing them is super boring and repetitive.
    @comicsforlife have you ever tough that games evoles and that also go for the sims game not every player of the game are into wants or whims as a player i am not so for me its not something that i find important as a player never bothered my self with those in pass sims game and its not something i went to see return in game i think they need to modernise the sims game and not bring back content from older game but thats my toughs as a player.
    @friendlysimmers
    Laundry was brought back just as you desired yourself, so, with no disrepect, but wouldn't you be lying to yourself? Personal cars were also in TS2 & TS3, but you wish they return them in TS4 despite while "think(ing) they need to modernise the sims game and not bring back content from older game"?

Or your stance is that not bring back content that others want except for what you want? Just curious, because I'm confused by this oxymoron you expressed.

I like how Sims 3 did the equivalent of aspirations, tbh. Every skill you learned had them, even collection. As you hit milestones, you'd get something. With writing, read x amount of books, and you write faster. Write x amount of a certain genre, that becomes your specialty and books you write of that genre are more likely to be best sellers. Etc. All of them had milestones.

Then there was the lifetime wish, and wishes were often based around those, and you got more satisfaction points for completing them. A sim who wanted a big happy family would be rolling very different wishes from one who wanted to be a martial arts/logic master. A sim who cheated and got caught would often roll wishes to apologize. Sims who ran into enemies hated their enemies, would be mean, and would roll wishes to fight them or see their ghost.

if the Sims 4 engine can't support tracking different things for different sims, I'm not sure why they used it, tbh.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    DyingLight wrote: »
    Whims were so boring. I'm glad they finally stopped supporting them. :)

o.O
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options

If they didn't mess up with them (by the way nearly everything in this game) I would have minded. But personalities and sims themselves are so shallow that I don't even care of traits that I choose for my sims cause I know it won't change anything, they are all the same. It would never happen to me in TS2 or TS3. I'm so concerned about the lack of personalities in this iteration.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    By the way, they don't even care of this (and sims themsevles). Proves how ''passionates'' they are about The Sims. :smile:
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    I don't even mind if they don't improve the whims though I think the game would be better if they did I just don't wont them to stop making new ones I still enjoy whims even though they could be better
  • Options
    edited July 2019

o.O
    Unless whims is not somebody way of playing with, whims could certaintly be improved therefor not stay 'boring'. We don't explain how they could be or why they are, If developers just reminiscent and repeat or follow the formula how wants/wishes worked out in The Sims 2/3. This pretty much goes to everything that makes following TS4 aspects inferior to previous games. Gosh....
    How many surveys have there been released through the year. Is any of response being listened and, most importantly, complied with???

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options

o.O
    Unless whims is not somebody way of playing with, whims could certaintly be improved therefor not stay 'boring'. We don't explain how they could be or why they are, If developers just reminiscent and repeat or follow the formula how wants/wishes worked out in The Sims 2/3. This pretty much goes to everything that makes following TS4 aspects inferior to previous games. Gosh....
    How many surveys have there been released through the year. Is any of response being listened and, most importantly, complied with???

we don't know yet all we can do is keep trying @DragonCat159
  • Options
    There been two or three this year, which doesn't look bright all I'm saying. Why would there be a reason for 2/3 surveys for player feedback, when they can just refer back to formal via the link? Or did somebody creating forgot to bookmark it of the answer result section? Dis management, smh.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    maybe they just want to reach as many people as they can @DragonCat159
  • Options

But it can be done under one survey, no?
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2019

But it can be done under one survey, no?

there's always a chance someone might not know about it after all some people don't go online that much @DragonCat159
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

Technically they can, and have, sent out surveys directly through Origin. If the goal is to reach every Sims player, using that route instead of a website would generate better results.

The fact they send the same survey around every single month to presumably get the same answers month after month makes the whole thing reek of mouth service. Like what changes have we actually seen in regards to communications? They have sent that same survey around at least 6 times now, but where are the results on their end?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Technically they can, and have, sent out surveys directly through Origin. If the goal is to reach every Sims player, using that route instead of a website would generate better results.

The fact they send the same survey around every single month to presumably get the same answers month after month makes the whole thing reek of mouth service. Like what changes have we actually seen in regards to communications? They have sent that same survey around at least 6 times now, but where are the results on their end?

they also used this survey in the vote for Landry day stuff I don't know why they don't just use Origin but since your here could you tell them we want whims back in the survey regardless of weather it does any good please @drake_mccarty