Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    Hello! This may be out of place as it doesn't -really- follow the topic of the day but I'm interested in starting a SimLit but I've never really done anything like it before. I've played many hours in the sims (almost to many tbh) and I casually write short stories from time to time. I'd love to combine the two to make something that people would enjoy reading!

Since I'm new to this, I don't really know what I'm doing. Would anyone happen to have any tips for someone just starting out? :sweat_smile:

Hi, hi, @Arikatatafu_ ! I see that Feelings directed you to the Quick Guide to SimLit! That's a great place to start and will answer lots of questions. My main suggestion is just to get in there and have fun. All of us who've been doing this for a while have gone through so many changes and developments , and seeing how our styles and approaches shift and develop is a big part of the joy!

We're always happy to share responses to specific questions, too !
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @Arikatatafu_ and @feelingsmcgee Welcome to the forums :)

@Arikatatafu_ Reading other simLit is also a good way of learning how simLit works, but there isn't really a general rule at the end of the day. Write in whatever way feels right to you. ;)

@feelingsmcgee Mann I get you. Also it kinda feels nice sometimes when you are one of the first readers to a new SimLit. Being there with a simLit story from the beginning makes me feel like a true dedicated fan. XD

Yes to this! I love works that I've been with since the beginning!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    @feelingsmcgee Ah, Thank you! ^_^

@simscognito I think I'm going to start small and write a story off of a short challenge, maybe runaway teen or something.

This is such a great idea ! Challenges are a perfect way to start! They help provide a basic structure for the story so you can enjoy getting to know and present the Sims.

• Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hey everyone. So, according to this screenshot... (It's a screenshot of the original version of my founder...I didn't change much but there's some obvious things I did change to get our current version)
    tumblr_ppg861vQBS1xlu9nzo1_540.png
    BL just turned 2 years old. I always thought the anniversary was the 4th but guess I remembered wrong. The official anniversary of the story as we know it hasn't happened yet so I'm not too disappointed I missed it. :)

Another thing linked to that...
    The reason I restarted BL originally, that I've never actually said, was because I wrote a chapter and didn't like where it was going at the time. So, I restarted the entire story. I wouldn't do that now but I also don't regret doing it.

There's a lot of things that if I went with my initial idea it would be different. Like how I was worried people would be mad I split up Bob and Eliza (I remember wondering if anyone would be mad about that if they read it...no one did back then so I just let it be and ended up with my favourite sim so no regrets.)
  • Options
    mamasquirrelmamasquirrel Posts: 2,065 Member
    Zachsims wrote: »
    Hey I’m new here! Hello! I like to write and wanted to do the short story challenges. Saw the advertisement on Twitter. But I lost all my games since my ex moved out. What packs are the best for this? Thanks

@Zachsims Welcome! What kind of things you are interested in? I personally like all packs for the most part. They have all come in handy with builds and sims. I do recommend Vampires and Aliens if you are interested in those life forms. I also love having pets too. I'm sure there are others here that can give their recommendations as well. Happy writing!

Hey thanks for the welcome. I like to build. I used to do that a lot before I lost all my games. Occult stuff is cool too. I know I’ll need those packs eventually. My stories will probably take place in the city so maybe that pack too (I forget the name of it. There’s so many now)

@Zachsims I really like to build too. It's so relaxing and I love for my creative side to show. I have threads here for builds and sims, if you would like to check them out sometime. I would love to see some of your builds.
    yXW40Hz.png?1
  • Options
    FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited April 2019
    CathyTea wrote: »
    @PitlordMaggie Will definitely read your blog.
    I am so used to playing without the plumbobs, I am always startled seeing them in screenshots. There's a way to disable them permanently (makes for better screenshots!) but you have to do it again with every patch. Here's how it's done, if you want!
    https://simsvip.com/2014/09/21/the-sims-4-how-to-remove-plumbob/

Thank you for your feedback! I personally don't mind the plumbobs, so I never thought about it. It adds a bit whimsy and remind me its a game, actually I'm a bit upset that Tab pictures won't show the speech bubbles. But I might be a rare type of player/writer. I'm still figuring out my story telling style so I will try your advice and see if it improves my story. I still have a couple chapters lined up with plumbobs because I'm ahead in screenshots and gameplay. Hope it dosn't ruin the reading experience too much. And thanks for the link!

What does everyone else think? Does plumbobs take away or add to the story or neutral?

I'm so disappointed that thought and speech bubbles don't show up, too! So often, they reveal so much about what our Sims are thinking and feeling, sometimes humorously and sometimes poignantly. Wish we had an option to show them. They're little glimpses into the Sims' AI .

Same!! I just can't play with the plumbbobs, and I'm really disappointed that thoughts don't show up anymore either! I have by now become so used to not having thought bubbles that I forget they even exist... really wish there was a way to only get rid of the plumbbob.
    Welcome to all the new members! There are lots of wonderful stories and great writers here. I'm sure that once you get the hang of it, your stories will be just fine. Most important thing to remember, it's your story and you tell it how you want. It may not be perfect or grammatically correct, but it still can be an awesome story. Have fun and enjoy it! Happy writing to all!

Thank you, that is is reassuring. I know some of my grammar and sentence structure is bad, since English is a secondary language for me, but I try to improve. I literally have a page up just to check dictionary while I write, for words I'm not 100% sure on. But some sayings and sentences that makes sense in first language just sounds strange in English, or there isn't a translatable word for it. I actually used it in this reply lol.

Your writing is good! I am really enjoying your story a lot. :blush:I am also a non-native speaker, and I've had Google Translate, The Free Dictionary and Thesaurus open on my browser 24/7 for the last 5 years at least - always go with the "open recent tabs" for browsers haha. It's really helped me a lot. My worst struggle used to be dialogue, because this is something we as non-native speakers in foreign countries just don't really get to experience or gain much experience in very easily... but after watching a whole load of TV shows and spending half a year in America and making friends who don't speak my native language, I feel like I'm gradually getting a little better. But it's still hard... things like slang and idioms are so hard for non-native English speakers to get the hang of. :sweat_smile:

@CathyTea Could you maybe add my name to the reading list? :flushed: I'd love to be a part of it, and I am sure I'll be posting on here actively for a while and not just like, a few weeks and then go poof LOL. I named the blog itself Black Sheep, and the story I'm currently working on is titled Pariah... so, honestly, either of those names would work as titles! :blush:

Also WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS! :blush:

I'm currently very busy with my bachelor's thesis, but I should HOPEFULLY be done in a few weeks or at the very least before May LOL, so I'm hoping to become a bit more active on here by then! For now, I'm still busily reading the stories I added to my own personal reading list but I'll also happily read any chapters I see posted on here when I check up on this thread!

I did manage to post another chapter on Remi's story (which I FINALLY gave a proper name LOL, so from now on it'll be Pariah) for anyone who is interested. Here's the link: https://donaeis.home.blog/2019/04/04/9-reign/
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
  • Options
    DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    edited April 2019
    Firande wrote: »
    Same!! I just can't play with the plumbbobs, and I'm really disappointed that thoughts don't show up anymore either! I have by now become so used to not having thought bubbles that I forget they even exist... really wish there was a way to only get rid of the plumbbob.

I literally just posted the guide how to get rid of only the plumbob and leaving the thought bubbles intact a couple of posts ago!
  • Options
    PitlordMaggiePitlordMaggie Posts: 390 Member
    Firande wrote: »

I literally just posted the guide how to get rid of only the plumbob and leaving the thought bubbles intact a couple of posts ago!

That is true. It works by the way! Only downside is it will remove the mouseover text like plant info etc. so I use it now, but only right before a screenshot. I only tried the cheat option though, as I'm not very confident about going in and changing stuff on my computer :(

But Tab screenshots removes bubbles, which my comment talked about. It was rambling on about how I like whimsical screenshots, I am sorry if I caused confusion. I Tab a lot because I don't like having walls down in pictures, and I think the quality is better with Tab.
  • Options
    AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Hey all, my latest 2 KCLKF chapters. Kass learns something of interest about her sister's boyfriend, and her mamma's boyfriend, Clark finally reveals another truth about himself.

screenshot-25.jpg?w=474&h=356
    1.65, Pt. 1: Filling in the Blanks
    1.65, Pt. 2: Filling in the Blanks

Enjoy!
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    NyteRose wrote: »
    I'm curious. What is your "why" behind writing SimLit and sharing Sims stories?

My SimLit is the result of a personal challenge, to see if I still "had the magic" for writing or not. Prior to this story, I hadn't written anything in over ten years. So I was pretty darn terrified to share my story even though I had a WP account (rotting and blank, mind you.) I thought that my story was horrible. But I guess my readers disagree with me :D

Here's a synopsis of my vampire romance SimLit, Stars and the Sun. Link to my blog is in my siggie.

Jasmina Chase is a young woman who dreams of becoming an author and has moved for a new job and a fresh start in life. One night while relaxing with friends at a nightclub after a rough day at work, she meets Caleb Vatore, a handsome, charming man with a dark secret. Will sparks fly or just fizzle?

That's a cool synopsis. I'll have to check it out, @NyteRose. I've enjoyed Caleb Vatore in every iteration he's popped up in my games. It's always nice to receive affirmation of one's stories. Sometimes just sharing the story is all you need to be motivated. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    Hi Writer's Lounge Peeps... I want to do more than just dump links to my story. Hope you're all doing well.

I was thinking a lot about this recently. I went to a work convention this past week. I'm in marketing and communications for nonprofits. In my training sessions, we spoke about the importance of the "why" in our stories, and how critical helping people understand "why" we do what we do is important to helping people invest in our mission, vision, and work. I am intentional about the language I use in my workplace communications and marketing materials for this reason.

I wondered about how this is key in my stories. Of course, it's for different reasons, but understanding the why behind my writing helps me keep going, motivates and inspires me, and helps me come up with new ideas and stories. Jonathan Gottschall, author of The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human, writes,
    “We are, as a species, addicted to story. Even when the body goes to sleep, the mind stays up all night, telling itself stories.”
    I <3 that. My brain tells me stories when I sleep. :D However, in all seriousness, I feel like there's so much truth there. We need story.

Writing is my creative outlet for understanding myself as a person and understanding the world around me. Stories make me human. :) Stories help me bring my Sims world to life.

@AdamsEve1231

My "why" has changed so much since I started it's not funny! :D

At first, I'd just completed a NaNoWriMo but even with 50k words finished, the Dark-Fantasy novel I was working on was nowhere near complete, and I was struggling to get a direction for it. A friend of mine suggested The Sims, as a way of visualising my characters, and maybe it'll help get me out of the slump.

This didn't work as intended, instead, I created a Sci-Fi story (Ironbound) that was based in the same world - just thousands of years in the future- and at that point, the "why" now morphed into trying to reverse engineer a plot. If I had a hard-line on what had happened in Ironbound I thought that getting things done in my novel would be easier.

This also didn't work as intended, instead, I fell in love with my story, and the characters I'd created within it, I adored my readers and the comments they made, I challenged myself to push my characters beyond what I was comfortable in doing so, and in turn, created a character that even through all her faults, and she has many, changed a lot of readers opinion about her.

My "why" now, isn't really in effect, as I haven't written in a long while, still feeling a burnout. So an all-encompassing "why" will have to do... I do it, because of my love of telling stories, and using the visual nature of the sims to do so, I love the rabbit-hole hunt for cc and poses to make things really stand out, and that is all a part of SimLit... I write SimLit to bring others joy, to bring myself joy, and at times, I write SimLit to anger, to terrify, to bring to tears, because to me, writing is about emotion... I write SimLit because I want myself and others to feel moved.

That's awesome, @Munterbacon. I didn't realize that's how Ironbound came about. What an intriguing premise! I thought about doing something similar with a novel I was working on forever ago, and then got pulled into SimLit, and I've been writing every since. Though I haven't written a word of that novel in a long long time.

There's something pretty incredible about immediate feedback from readers online versus a novel where you have to gradually wait for thoughts. I do love evoking emotion in my readers. It's a good indicator of how invested my readers are. :)

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • Options
    ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hey I’m new here! Hello! I like to write and wanted to do the short story challenges. Saw the advertisement on Twitter. But I lost all my games since my ex moved out. What packs are the best for this? Thanks

Hi, @Zachsims ! Welcome to the Writers' Lounge! I really think excellent stories can be told with just the base game. Think about where you want it set, what types of fashion and furniture you need, if you need pets or weather, and that should help you decide!

Thanks. Glad I can still do this with base game. I’ve decided to buy the city living pack and parenthood. Not sure what else I can’t do without but this should get me started. I checked out the writing tips section. There a lot of info there. Don’t need pets. At least not yet.
  • Options
    ZachsimsZachsims Posts: 80 Member

@Zachsims Welcome! What kind of things you are interested in? I personally like all packs for the most part. They have all come in handy with builds and sims. I do recommend Vampires and Aliens if you are interested in those life forms. I also love having pets too. I'm sure there are others here that can give their recommendations as well. Happy writing!

Hey thanks for the welcome. I like to build. I used to do that a lot before I lost all my games. Occult stuff is cool too. I know I’ll need those packs eventually. My stories will probably take place in the city so maybe that pack too (I forget the name of it. There’s so many now)

@Zachsims I really like to build too. It's so relaxing and I love for my creative side to show. I have threads here for builds and sims, if you would like to check them out sometime. I would love to see some of your builds.

Yeah, do you have links? I did some building on a different account. Nothing on mine but soon
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited April 2019
    new chapter!!
    EFhXJ1I.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I actually would love to be able to have the thought bubbles appear. I often take notes of what the thought bubbles were so that I can remember because they're something that gives me ideas for certain story lines.
  • Options
    mamasquirrelmamasquirrel Posts: 2,065 Member

Yeah, do you have links? I did some building on a different account. Nothing on mine but soon

@Zachsims Here are the links for my simlit, builds, and sims. Awesome! Can't wait to see.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949624/mamasquirrels-creators-corner-for-builds#latest
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/949616/mamasquirrels-creators-corner-for-sims#latest
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/946974/simetics-simedy-by-mamasquirrel#latest
    yXW40Hz.png?1
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »

My SimLit is the result of a personal challenge, to see if I still "had the magic" for writing or not. Prior to this story, I hadn't written anything in over ten years. So I was pretty darn terrified to share my story even though I had a WP account (rotting and blank, mind you.) I thought that my story was horrible. But I guess my readers disagree with me :D

Here's a synopsis of my vampire romance SimLit, Stars and the Sun. Link to my blog is in my siggie.

Jasmina Chase is a young woman who dreams of becoming an author and has moved for a new job and a fresh start in life. One night while relaxing with friends at a nightclub after a rough day at work, she meets Caleb Vatore, a handsome, charming man with a dark secret. Will sparks fly or just fizzle?

That's a cool synopsis. I'll have to check it out, @NyteRose. I've enjoyed Caleb Vatore in every iteration he's popped up in my games. It's always nice to receive affirmation of one's stories. Sometimes just sharing the story is all you need to be motivated. :)

@AdamsEve1231 I'll try not to update again until people catch up/start reading :D
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    how does Prom gets translated into = certain male somethings?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Think I'm going to change my username...finally. I'm not sure if I will (need to figure out how first) but just letting you all know in advance. :)
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Think I'm going to change my username...finally. I'm not sure if I will (need to figure out how first) but just letting you all know in advance. :)

@Bugsie2016 I think you ask the moderators.
  • Options
    Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    Does anyone know of a good site to download animations?

I watched some sims stories on youtube and I saw so many cool animations, but they don't credit the creators :disappointed: . I've realized that some animations are so much better than poses!

Thanks in advance!
    THIRTYT(2).png
  • Options
    So apparently my new Juliet gave her mom some attitude about not wanting some PB&Juliet
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SpinfurSpinfur Posts: 33 Member
    Okay so I'm staring at my blogspot and I literally am scared to write the next chapter because it's semi-controversial with the topic that's going to be presenting, and like I don't want to write it wrong or offend someone

any advice on that because it's the only thing that's stopping me is how the reception of how I'll write it will be bad.
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    Hi everyone, here's the next chapter of Friends of Foes.

Alex has a very good day in this chapter, so brace yourself! XD

Chapter sixty: Murder and Lies
    chapter-sixty-murder-and-lies_orig.png
  • Options
    DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    That is true. It works by the way! Only downside is it will remove the mouseover text like plant info etc. so I use it now, but only right before a screenshot. I only tried the cheat option though, as I'm not very confident about going in and changing stuff on my computer :(

But Tab screenshots removes bubbles, which my comment talked about. It was rambling on about how I like whimsical screenshots, I am sorry if I caused confusion. I Tab a lot because I don't like having walls down in pictures, and I think the quality is better with Tab.

Uhm... no? I refer to editing the default.ini in your game folder. It doesn't do anything else except make the plumbobs (and the club gathering icons if you want) 100% transparent that means invisible. It doesn't remove any mouseover text. I never use the cheat. I also usually play with walls up all the time, it looks so weird with the walls down! And there's an option in the game options to keep the UI on screenshots so if I want to capture the thought bubbles I just don't go into tab mode. Of course you have to be careful to position the sims in the middle of the screen so you don't get a lot of interface on your screenshots. (I always resize them so I cut away the unnecessary portions).

This is how you get screenshots like this:
    23.jpg?w=640

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top