Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you buy packs regardless if your playing S4 or want its content?

Comments

• Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    No, I only buy specific packs I want and when I play Sims 4.
    Schantal wrote: »
    TOLKIEN wrote: »
    So I just bought strangerville, as I did with every other Sims pack since Sims 2. This is literally the only game series where I do this.

For the Sims 4, I've found that its pretty easy to run out of things to do as time progresses. Hence why every new pack is a welcome addition of new gameplay. However...according to Origin I haven't played the Sims 4 since last years release of Get Famous and I barely spent anytime with it as I was playing AC:Odyssey at the time.

I'm currently playing Warhammer 2 and I don't want to leave mid-campaign to start playing the Sims 4 right now (because I might not go back as happens with games). But I still bought strangerville as I will do with the next pack even if I'm not playing Sims 4 currently - because I plan to and gotta collect them all'!

So I'm curious if others buy all the packs like me or just specific packs, or no packs all!

Oof, this ladies and gentlemen is why devs keep making packs no one wants because people tell them they want it with their wallets even if they don't actually want it. I cannot believe how many people buy the packs just because its "sims" and then complain when they don't like the pack and the devs release more of the same, it drives me nuts. This franchise will NEVER get better if this continues. I can't believe how many people say that they will buy packs anyway, even if they don't like them.....this poll just proves that even more.

Rather, people are saying that even if they don't like the main 'star' of the pack, they want the other content - the worlds or the BB items or careers. I bought CL for the BB items and careers - I have no desire to play the apartments. Does that mean that I should have 'sent a message' to the developers that they shouldn't have apartments in future packs, just because I don't want them? That's a bit self-entitled, especially since so many people did want them and enjoy playing them.

Quite often, I'll see discussions about something cool from a pack I haven't bought because it has something else that I don't want in my game. I'd like to have the closet from GT, the pond in GF and pretty much all the BB content in Vampires. And I'll think...maybe I could put up with a few Vampires running amok...nah. So, I can see why someone would want to collect all the packs, just because every pack is likely to have something they want.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,340 Member
    edited February 2019
    Yes, I buy all Sims 4 packs almost immediately after release.
    I'm a huge fan of TS4, it's my favorite in the series. I buy all pre-orders, and when pre-orders are not available then I purchase on release day. I'm very happy with everything that the Sims team has had to offer so far for TS4.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    edited February 2019
    Well, my answer is 99% true... the only pack I haven't bought is 'My First Pet'... for many reasons. And I don't intend to buy it in the future either. In fact, this is the only pack in the entire franchise I haven't bought.

However, other than that, I've bought all the other packs so far.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    No, I don't usually buy packs unless I REAAALLY want it.
    My buying is primarily related to whether the build/buy contributes to my style of game play. Eg I got Vampires for the Victorian element, not for the vampires (which I consider vile, evil creatures). There is the occasional excepting, Jungle Adventures, as it provides something different to do and is a bit like the old days when I wrote RPG games.
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    Yes, I buy them all but wait for a sale.
    Well yes I wait for a sale and have bought them all bar Strangertown but if I'm not actively playing I don't rush out for any
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Not so much for a sale as I wait for a month for the first bug-fix that patches all the things that turned out to be wrong with it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,378 Member
    Actually I would have 2 answers if allowed, I usually buy the packs on release but they have to be something I want, I'm not that into just adding to a collection. Sims is the only game I play and so when new content becomes available, naturally I would want it, )with the exception of Katy Perry in Sims 3 *shudder* and MFP, which I will probably get just for the content, but again *shudder*).
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I'm always starved for new content. I've had Strangerville for 2 days, and I'm already looking forward to the next one.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I usually buy packs on the first day if I know I'm going to use them. I have yet to buy Parenthood or the Toddlers pack since I rarely play them.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    PreCiiousPreCiious Posts: 353 Member
    Because

* I want to download stuff from the Gallery without having some replacements, because i s**ck at building lots.
    * I get use out of every DLC in the Sims4, even if its just that one Hair. I dont use CC
    * It keeps my entertained, otherwise i would probaly ignore the Game for a while.

Not only do i wait for a sale, i buy Gameplay and Stuff Packs in a bundle for 20.-
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    This behavior is new for me. Both with sims 2 and 3 I bought all packs without even researching them first. I just KNEW they would be good. I hate that I've lost that sense of trust with sims 4.
  • Options
    MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    edited March 2019
    The thing is...I can't afford to buy them all right now. Plus, there are a couple that I dont want. *cough cough* My First Pet Stuff. *cough cough* I wont buy them all just for the sake of owning them all, even when I can afford to.
    I dont really play many other games, and Sims 4 is what I play the most. There are so many more packs that I want...I just can't afford them right now. I wait until sales and am very choosy about the one or two packs that I pick. I pick what I think will improve my gameplay the most and pick what I have been desperately wanting for a while.
  • Options
    RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    I typically only buy the ones that I want and I normally wait for a sale because expansion packs are not cheap for what they are. Sims 2 I bought everything (except for stuff packs) at release and enjoyed it all. Sims 3 I was less enamoured with and only bought a few packs here and there. It's only in the last couple of years that I picked up the rest when they were at the £3-8 mark because I was curious and I have had some fun with them, just not £29.99 per pack fun.
    Sims 4 while some packs do not appeal to me as much those are often the ones that my daughter prefers so if they go for a decent sale price I'll probably pick them up but if it was just me then I'd probably wait a lot longer but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'll probably end up with them all eventually, if the price is right because there's normally a few things I'll use in each pack.

In general I've stopped buying games as soon as they released or things on my wishlist that go on sale if I'm not going to play them almost straight away because I have enough games as it is and I don't need to throw money away on maybe plays. There's always another sale and why pay a premium at release if you are not going to play it? If you are then buy it and enjoy the heck out of it without guilt but if you aren't then you are just throwing money away. If you wait a month and then want to play you are still paying full price, no biggy but if time gets away from you, which it often does then you may find it's cheaper when you do come back around to it.
    iscQh5U.png
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I think Spooky Stuff is the only pack where I waited for a sale. Everything else I buy on release or shortly after. I may not use all the content in every game save, but I've found value in every pack because they add to my Sims experience. Being an old lady with mild but annoying physical disabilities, I spend a lot of time at home and The Sims is my main source of entertainment -- don't play a lot of other games because they don't really appeal to me that much. The extra I pay in buying a pack on release rather than waiting for a sale is repaid by the gameplay I get from that pack.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I'm sorry, I'm a child with a wallet and I'm unable to stop throwing these green smelly pieces of paper at my computer screen
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I only buy what I want (granted, there have only been two, maybe three packs that don't interest me to some extent at all.)

I also have no desire to purchase packs during periods when I'm not playing the game. I don't see the point in it especially with how quickly they go on sale after releasing. I'm studying too much atm to even think about playing Strangerville so I didn't buy it; it gives me a chance to get it on a good sale instead of paying full price and having it sit there unplayed.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,106 Member
    I usually buy close to release if I want the pack and I'm actively playing. If I'm just meh about it, I'll wait for a sale. I have them all, and wanted them all - haven't seen a pack yet that I fully dislike, though Cats & Dogs is so not my favorite. But I didn't find out that I'd be disappointed in it, till after purchase.
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Um... why would anyone buy the packs if they do not play the game? lol
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    Absolutely not. If I'm not interested in the content of the pack, it doesn't go in my game; why would I spend my hard-earned cash on something I don't want?

However, I used to buy anything with the Sims name on back during 1, 2 and for a good portion of 3. I was never disappointed with the first two instalments, but I felt like there was a gradual decline in quality so I stopped and prioritised.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.
  • Options
    kathdelinekathdeline Posts: 38 Member
    I’ve never paid a full price for a Sims 4 expansion because they’re never worth it and I don’t buy packs I’m not interested in.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I never buy a pack unless it's on sale. I feel like The Sims 4 is constantly lacking in stuff so when a new pack comes out I'm happy that something has been released regardless of whether it was the content I wanted or not. For example, I could care less about the story in StrangerVille but I may still pick it up when it goes on sale just to add more stuff to my game.

I would be cool if The Sims 4 released a pack or two dedicated entirely to new clothing and furniture sets at this point just to have more stuff in my game. I think it'd be a neat idea if they were to release a game pack for each generation as well. The Sims 4 Toddler Stuff Pack was sort of on that track but I thought it was very poorly executed and severely lacking in interesting content even for a stuff pack.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    No, I don't usually buy packs unless I REAAALLY want it.
    Simpkin wrote: »

Mostly likely they are collectors of the franchise. They just play one of the other iterations of it regularly instead because they believe those are better.
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I bought some soon as they came out, but others I waited for sales, and the vampire pack I won in a giveaway. Side note: I'm LOVE AC Odyssey, but I'm stuck right now and have been rage quitting for a month now. ROFL I'm going to get past this part if it's the last thing that I do!
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    I tend to buy the packs I really want on release and others when there are on sale (there was not a button for this) as even if I am not bothered by certain packs i use a lot of player made lots in my games and most creators use content from all the packs that are out plus at some stage in the future i know I will want to concentrate on 4 more than i do now and will not want to have to go and buy all those packs at once even at sale price as been there done that before :)
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited March 2019
    Simpkin wrote: »

Well I'm currently not playing the Sims 4, its installed and updated - and I PLAN to play it hence buying the latest gamepack - but then I put it off because I'm usually playing some other game or need to update/go through the CC I want to use and that seems like a job in itself. So I put it off, but then I see a NEW pack release and I'm like - oh this looks fun can't wait to play it. BOOM, bought and forgotten lol.

I mean I was super excited for seasons, it was the ONE expansion above ALL expansions I wanted but I can literally say I've not experienced more then a single season in this game because well I keep putting it off or I get stuck in CAS creating for hours without ever progressing into the actual game lol. Then I get distracted with another game or netflix, life ect.