Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you rename Sims? Particularly non-played Sims?

Do you ever need to give a Sim a different name?

Comments

• Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    frequently. i'm actually in the middle of doing that right now... part of the 'checking up on, editing, renaming and deleting sims' thing i'm doing in prep for the new pack. had just over 600 sims in my game, though a lot never seem to get used for anything anymore, so deciding who i can live without

as for the naming thing, i've got all kinds of lists (both online and off) that i use, typically pairing up a first name from one with a last name from another. sometimes i'll use the original name or look of the sim as part of the new name, other times they're nothing like previously

my five paparazzi sims are a good example of all sides of this. a redhead named 'nabuya suzuki' has become 'andrew morche' (french surname) and had his hair turned to a light brown, 'pari chandran' kept her appearance but had her hairstyle changed and is now 'paula weathers', while 'hamza mounib' has kept her heritage but gotten renamed to 'hajar barakat' and 'reiko tanaka' had her name slightly westernized and is now 'stella tanaka'
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    I do this fairly frequently, especially if the game has a strong theme.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    It’s not just me (that wants to) then (whew).

Do we have to change their names using MCCC and “Edit in CAS?” Or is there another way?
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2019
    So far I have not renamed a sim that is already in the game - but I rename sims I add to the game through CAS that have names. I don't have anything against renaming Sims - now-a-days but I still recall in earlier Sims games where that sometimes created problems with sims already in the game so I just don't bother to do it - more so out of habit.

Anything that has ever been an issue in the Sims over the years - I tend to avoid like the plague. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Oh my... all the darn time. I am always going through the manage households thingy to give the generated sims names I can actually pronounce.

Thank goodness they gave us the ability to edit sims easily to our hearts content.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Quite a bit since City Living lol - I can't pronounce half those names! Finally caved and got a mod for it just recently. I don't mind some, but holy hellfire I have a ton of cultural names - they've overtaken my normal sim names!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    NRowe wrote: »
    It’s not just me (that wants to) then (whew).

Do we have to change their names using MCCC and “Edit in CAS?” Or is there another way?

I’ve been able to do it just in Manage Households to change the household last name, then Edit in CAS (the pencil icon on the household page) to change household member names.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    Yes and no. In my main saved game I don't bother unless I have multiple Sims with the same last names (unrelated ones I mean) and the CL cultural names I don't mind much but I do edit them a bit if I find a Sim whose features don't really fit their game chosen name. I did change one Sim's name because his name was to much of a mouthful to fit his to soon to be famous standing. I wanted something 'normal' and catchy name for him. But I made sure to write down his former and well real name to make sure I wouldn't forget it for story purposes. Some of his children will keep his original last name.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Only when there's an overexcessive amount of City Living names that don't match the Sims they're paired with :p
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    The only time I really change names are last names once they get married
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    I don't usually bother with premades and townies, but when I do, then yes, I sometimes edit their names. May happen because of little things like the first and last names ending and starting with the same letter, respectively (looking at you, Travis Scott), or more serious issues like San Myshuno names that I can't even read, let alone remember. First and last names that both sound alright and go well together are left untouched.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Almost 100% of the NPC sims since City Living came out. I have a mod that only allows for English names so I do not have random names I can not pronounce pop up in CAS.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I mostly delete all randomly generated townies, but if I do keep them for any reason, I often edit their names and clothing. I prefer names I can pronounce and suit the sim.
  • Options
    ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    mostly only last names. cause im tired of every town being full of villareals and vatores and landgrabbs ALL the time
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited February 2019
    I rename everyone. I can’t remember the last time I saw a townie walk by and didn’t facepalm at their name.

Sometimes it’s because the first name doesn’t fit with the last name, but more often than not it’s due to the huge bias towards Asian names. With the exception of Spanish, there are hardly any European-named sims generated by the game. Where are all the Italian, German, French, Polish, and Swedish names, for example?
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    I rename newly spawned townies so I don't get them mixed up with preexisting families of the same name. I sort of keep everyone's family tree organized, and I get really annoyed if I have 5 sims with the same last name and they're unrelated LOL

Sometimes if I don't feel like renaming, some households get a new sibling or I just delete them altogether.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    I used to rename all the sims that generate with city living names, but now I use a mod to stop those names from being used. It got really annoying to have multiple sims with the same name who weren't related.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Nah. I'm too lazy.
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    That honestly sounds like way too much work lol.

I don't rename anyone, even after a Sim gets married. I kind of think the City Living names are charming and they feel very ethnic to me. What ethnicity? Who knows, but I don't mind them!

I've only ever given surnames to adopted pets because they need a last name to cheat the relationship... I adopt a pet, take them into CAS (fulleditmode) and just make a copy pretty much. Delete the old one, add a last name so that if there WAS a relationship prior to me doing all this, I can have the same relationship once I've created this clone in CAS... It's all that issue of pets not being able to be trained not to do certain things. So once that's fixed, I probably won't even go through the process of giving them last names.
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    I want to YES. Most names are so ridiculous or they are repeated way too much.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I use a mod to control those City Living names, but before I started using that mod, I renamed often. I just like being able to pronounce sims names, even if it's only "close enough". Some of those city living names though, I am completely baffled on where to begin pronouncing them.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    I’m very picky when it comes to the game-generated townies I keep in my saves, so I always give the ones I keep makeovers and change their names to better suit them. Although, my current save file has been generating some decent names lately. It created this beautiful sim named Jewel Xu and I just adore her. She’s an extremely skilled bartender in my game who frequently works in San Myshuno. :smile:
  • Options
    aldavoraldavor Posts: 1,387 Member
    Mostly only where it needs to fit into a specific scenario I'm developing; other than that, I actually have a mod that generates less 'exotic' names so I don't really have to change that many.
    cat01.gif
    My Website: https://sims4.aldavor.net
    #keepitfree
  • Options
    AmandèleAmandèle Posts: 378 Member
    Once every Simweek, I go into manage households to rename townies and give them makeovers. It takes a lot of time but it's so nice seeing well-dressed Sims in my game afterwards!
    Sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language ^^'
  • Options
    VanPelt81VanPelt81 Posts: 2,990 Member
    I will rename & change looks of sims if cheats to create my own versions isn't available (this was something I did with the Get Famous expansion pack at first for different directors/make-up artists/stylists/etc.) If I can create my own via cheats or anything else, I will get rid of the computer generated sims (either by deleting or plopping in my cemetery lot specifically to kill them off).