Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

do sims eat the new dumplings with chopsticks, please, say yes

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I have to say this because it's been on my mind. I'm part Mexican and I remember when I was younger my very white and proper brother-in-law to be came over to eat with us. We were having chalupas on a hard flat shell. Just watching him trying to eat it with a fork and knife was so hilarious.... because the shell cracks and it's just a mess. We don't all just eat it the way it's suppose to be eaten...we don't just know how to handle everything if it isn't our culture too. That's why I said we do need to have some Asian dishes that can be eaten with flatwear also. Having the option would be great sure, but it's probably a bit complicated to decide to do something like that animation, coding ect over something that can actually be useful for story telling in our games.. well if we chose to use it that way. It's just useful to have it this way in my game for me at least. I know I have no clue how to use chopsticks.. you can make fun of me for not knowing how... it's okay :).
    I know the spirit of this update is for cultural diversity and inclusion though.. I get that. It's just that we do already have chopstick use in game now available to us. Of course you do have to have the appropriate pack.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    I was just wondering if there were any Chinese on the forum or other Asians to give their two cents... or if it was all white people whining about cultural appropriation and insensitivity (as always) lol

Am I like the only non-Asian here who hasn't seen the use of chopsticks outside of a Japanese restaurant? My best friend is from Hong Kong and have eaten with her family and its always been with forks. I was told the chopsticks come out for special occasions. My bestie taught me how to eat my ramen soup with a fork even lol! Her mom was like "chopsticks? we ain't got time for that!" Anyways...

I'm really excited to have new food options in the game, thank you guru team! Idc how my sims eat it, but in my opinion, most of them don't have the finesse to handle multiple forms of utensils anyway.

I am not Asian but I do know people (also non-Asian, oddly enough) that use chopsticks outside of restaurants. I mainly use chopsticks for sushi, at home or in a restaurant; I don't use my hands because that will get messy fast lol, and I don't want to use a fork because sometimes that just makes the sushi fall apart... also resulting in a mess! Chopsticks are the perfect utensil in-between ;)

That said, I am not by any means good at using chopsticks, for sushi or anything else really. I have not yet earned the Chopstick Savvy trait IRL lol.

And just to bring it back on topic - the animation of eating the dumplings is soo minor. While they don't fumble with chopsticks, they do pick them up real cute and shove 'em in their mouths and chomp about for a bit, they look like hamsters. It's cute lol. I don't think it's about the animation's "accuracy," but that this is a new, ethnic food that is available for everyone! Which is fantastic!
  • Options
    hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    Airakale wrote: »
    I would feel mortified if all of a sudden all my sims could use chopsticks perfectly while I, a Chinese who was born and raised in China, never mastered the art of chopsticks😂

Seriously tho never seen any non-Asian able to use chopsticks so I guess animation for spork is more realistic?

I was just wondering if there were any Chinese on the forum or other Asians to give their two cents... or if it was all white people whining about cultural appropriation and insensitivity (as always) lol .

Wow...very mature..
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited February 2019
    Airakale wrote: »
    I would feel mortified if all of a sudden all my sims could use chopsticks perfectly while I, a Chinese who was born and raised in China, never mastered the art of chopsticks😂

Seriously tho never seen any non-Asian able to use chopsticks so I guess animation for spork is more realistic?

I was just wondering if there were any Chinese on the forum or other Asians to give their two cents... or if it was all white people whining about cultural appropriation and insensitivity (as always) lol

Am I like the only non-Asian here who hasn't seen the use of chopsticks outside of a Japanese restaurant? My best friend is from Hong Kong and have eaten with her family and its always been with forks. I was told the chopsticks come out for special occasions. My bestie taught me how to eat my ramen soup with a fork even lol! Her mom was like "chopsticks? we ain't got time for that!" Anyways...

I'm really excited to have new food options in the game, thank you guru team! Idc how my sims eat it, but in my opinion, most of them don't have the finesse to handle multiple forms of utensils anyway.

Asian here, and we keep loads of chopsticks in a small cupboard in the kitchen, but rarely ever take them out unless it's useful for more specific dishes (i.e. potsticker dumplings which I prefer chopsticks to eat with). Most of the food we eat at home isn't even Asian though, and most of the Asian food is eaten with forks because it's honestly just more convenient. C'est la vie.

>personal opinion:

One thing though that should be mandatory to eat sushi with is chopsticks however ;)
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited February 2019
    Simpkin wrote: »
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Okay but what is wrong with eating dumplings with a fork or fingers!? I have not once in my life eaten dumplings with chopsticks.

Your hands get dirty, it's icky.
    This is irrelevant to how dumplings should be eaten though. It's just personal preference. It is absolutely culturally acceptable to eat dumplings with a fork, spoon or fingers.

That's how Americans eat them. They are replicating an Asian holiday then giving them American animations and I agree, I would have liked to see them ate with chopsticks. I'm American and even i dont eat dumplings with a fork. Asian culture uses chopsticks for most asian meals especially on a holiday, so I've heard from my friends brother that lives there. I still love we got new recipes, but It is weird that they already have chopsticks in game and still didn't bother to assign them for that meal. Just odd.

But Iove the new six seater table and orange tree. Props.

Honestly though i was more annoyed to see the dumplings being made in the same old bowl of liquid. That animation is so played out. That's not at all looking like making dumplings. Wish they would add new recipe animations at some point.
    Post edited by soko37 on
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    "It's free therefore don't complain" I'm sorry what? Free? As in they totally did not use the money they've gotten from us to produce this, pay the employees, etc? What? How about the countless bugs that are 6 months up to 3 years old? How about EPs where things do not work properly like GTW retail system, doctor career co-workers, science lab garden? Get Famous LE's when you quit the spotlight? Vampires not getting points past grandmaster? Simulation lag always being looked at but one modder manages to fix it by up to 75%? Adopted pets are not able to be scolded unless you delete them and readd them from gallery?

It's perfectly valid to be upset at something in a patch. This is a product, we are paying customers, we can provide feedback. This is a live service product. This reminds me when people were drooling on them for readding pools, in the 4th iteration....
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I eat dumplings with finger or sometime fork
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    VuloriVulori Posts: 94 Member
    Free means that you didn't have to pay them for this update. You don't need a stuff pack, game pack, or expansion pack for this. If you have the base game, it was available as a free update. So no, you didn't pay for this update. Yeah, you paid for the base game, but how else would you be playing the game otherwise. If you didn't have the game and play it, it would be a non issue.

Honestly, how a sim eats is such a nitpicky thing. I could get offended that my sim uses chopsticks even though I myself cannot use them, not for lack of trying either. And my mother has tried to teach me too. This is a video game, some things will require too much work for such little payout. I think this is one of them.
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    A whole content drop of exclusively Asian themed items and food and you’re upset you don’t have chopsticks to go with it?

I won’t use the stuff most likely but it’s nice they are trying to be culturally diversive.
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Perhaps this thread is better off being closed? We are divided on the matter of the dumplings and how they must be properly consumed, and that's that. Nobody is wrong or right, merely of a different opinion. But it's so easy to rain judgement on someone else. And I ain't perfect either.

Have an awesome day, everyone <3

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    I'm going to go ahead and close the thread folks some of these posts are coming off as bait to start an argument.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    @EA_Rtas I think you forgot to close the thread because I can still post in it :)
  • Options
    haverice377haverice377 Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="simgirl1010;c-16944013"]How to eat dumplings like a pro. A soup spoon is recommended because of the delicacy of the dumplings.

[i]Since the Chinese eat most food with chopsticks, some diners assume that this is also the correct way to eat a soup dumpling. However, the dumpling is too delicate to pick up or poke with a chopstick and will leak the broth of the soup all over the table or plate.[/i]

ttps://www.chilihousesf.com/blog/2017/09/how-to-eat-dumplings-like-a-pro/[/quote]

I'm Chinese, and I usually use spoon to eat dumplings 😁 because my mom always makes dumplings with thin skins...😂😂 they are so fragile.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Thats odd, the thread didn't close when I closed it before. Well as I said before folks I've gone and closed this thread as there's too much bait going on in here.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top