Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do your Sims ever start feeling kinda bland after a while?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Okay, well I'm rather surprised that people can't relate. I thought this was a common thing, but it feels rather unpleasant to have been mistaken. Guess I'm the only one.

You're not the only one. Haven't you read all the posts about people who keep creating and then abandoning their Sims? They can't get past a certain generation. To keep things fresh, you might try to shake things up a bit. Is your family's life going really well? Are they too rich, too poor, or what have you? Instill some drama. Don't rescue a Sim that has caught themselves on fire, for instance. See how you and the family cope with the loss. I tried after my very first death(s) by emotion which left my Global Superstar with the custody of his identical twin nephews who were toddlers. Things fell apart rapidly as his then fiancée showed her true colors inasmuch as it turned out kids were not her thing. Trying to care for the boys left Erik's star status on rather shaky ground, to say nothing of how the tots' needs went grossly unfilled. I had the constant fear the SS, I do mean Social Worker would come collect them at any time and it was driving me insane.

I went back two saves to recover my game. But, I did use the material in my blog. Roll with the punch, as it's said and see if that doesn't help you get over the bland-blues.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yup, because of no personalities...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Sometimes, especially if I've been away from them for a while, as I don't always manage to keep the thread of their lives in my head. And sometimes for whatever reason, I just get bored with a family. That's why I have multiple saves that I bounce between, even though they are all the same play style, they're at different points so it keeps me interested.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I can relate, although I played a generational family, some of the sims that I grow attached in current generation usually become vampire after long time living without growing old i tend to get bored with them and switch household or played his/her human childrens for a while.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I can completely relate. I've actually begun playing rotationally, a week in game per family, to combat this. Because after too long, even on normal lifespan, I find things get a bit stale. After I cycle through families generally feel pretty new again. If it happens with my legacy family (who I love to death but get sick of sometimes) then I'll take a break from that save and play somewhere else. Good things to try out are challenges, aspirations, or careers you haven't done before.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't get the samey-samey feel that some do. Unless I keep playing the same sort of sim over and over (and that does happen). Mostly if I use the same traits frequently or never give them the different bad traits. Between the backstories my sims have and the way I set up their traits... interests.. skills.. careers... and sometimes character values they can react differently very frequently.
    One of the things I started letting them do more often was be angry, sad, tense or uncomfortable. I use to rush to try to fix those but I don't so much anymore.
    I do agree though with what was said about having a story in your head.. and about feeling connected to your sims. I basically always keep their story in mind when playing and usually feel connected to my sims. If I don't they end up in the bin.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    There have been times when it has gotten a bit boring. Not necessarily with all of my sims, but a few ones that do not have a specific purpose or story planned. I usually have few goals and story concepts set for most of my main sims. For example, I know that sim is supposed to marry that sim and will cheat with another specific sim, which will cause certain reactions from few other sims. Of course, sometimes I get bored with such stories too, but most of the time it is sims that just happen to be there in the family and I have no idea what to do with them (for example when the mother gets pregnant when I am not controlling her- this actually happened to me recently, or mother gives birth to triplets instead of 1child that I planned, has happened as well). When this happens, I just let the game take over if it makes sense. I go out, meet sims, create connections, explore and most of the time a story spawns in my mind. There have been few cases when that has not happened. If that happens I simply leave the game alone for a bit and come back a while later with a spark of new inspiration. This was a bit long and rambly, but I hope it helps in one way or another.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member

This. The trait system hardly has any impact on whims which is part of why it makes it stale.
  • Options

This. The trait system hardly has any impact on whims which is part of why it makes it stale.

I have to agree. It's like in Sims3 where you could select a 'favorite color' for your Sim, but they never reacted one way or another if a room was decorated with that color. What was the point?
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited February 2019
    Lately I've been using the random generator for traits, so I'm not picking "favorable" traits all the time. Traits do make a difference but not always in an "in-your-face" kind of way. Plus, the results of the traits can be easily overridden, so it depends on how you play.

For example, lately my sims have been getting the "Jealous" trait. Now some players might get annoyed with their sims getting Tense from their partner being out of the room, and might purchase the "Carefree" reward, so that the manifestation of Jealous trait is mostly removed. I however have been refraining from doing so until/unless my sim is at least an Elder, at which point maybe they deserve to have a few calm years.

Some sims are bland, others not so much. I try not to override traits, and I don't use cheats, which makes things a little more interesting.
  • Options
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Lately I've been using the random generator for traits, so I'm not picking "favorable" traits all the time. Traits do make a difference but not always in an "in-your-face" kind of way. Plus, the results of the traits can be easily overridden, so it depends on how you play.

For example, lately my sims have been getting the "Jealous" trait. Now some players might get annoyed with their sims getting Tense from their partner being out of the room, and might purchase the "Carefree" reward, so that the manifestation of Jealous trait is mostly removed. I however have been refraining from doing so until/unless my sim is at least an Elder, at which point maybe they deserve to have a few calm years.

Some sims are bland, others not so much. I try not to override traits, and I don't use cheats, which makes things a little more interesting.

So there is a carefree Trait. I was looking for a remedy because my Global Superstar Rock singer Sim's gal kept coming unglued whenever a female fan interacted with him. Apparently, he's not supposed to react to a pretty Sim. I thought I recalled a trait that would help, but another player suggested I was remember the one from Sims3. Oh, well. He's moved on and has a better gal on his arm, now.
  • Options
    RubihuggzRubihuggz Posts: 32 Member
    i really feel this way with sims 4. with sims 3 I would just get a new expansion and thered be a whole world of stuff to explore and do with my sims (the supernatural pack kept me entertained for years alone).
    With sims 4, to mix things up, I download lots of CC, give my house a rennovation, make-over all the townies. After awhile i'm just spending more time with making sims and homes than playing in them...
    At a cetain point all my sims turns into thots, because whats more fun than that? One time I took my male sim and impregnated all the ladies in town. Why? cause I needed something somewhat challenging ! hahaha!
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited February 2019
    Pegasys wrote: »

This is it exactly. What's the use of giving them that bad trait then buying the response away. Let them go with it now and then. I made two sims based on the Odd Couple recently: Felix Unger sim (squeamish, neat, snob) and an Oscar Madison sim (slob, bro, hothead). They are verrrry different sims. It's been fun watching them interact ... although it can be hard to manage also. Oscar gets up in Felix's face often and Felix is on the verge of throwing up when things get messy. Their life is interesting so far.
    I think the one trait I just can't do is Lazy... they walk frickin everywhere.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    RamendemonRamendemon Posts: 91 Member
    I don't think you are the only one that gets bored. I think most of us at some point or another have gotten bored OR at least have had the itch to try a different sim /different traits out. Sometimes you want to populate your simworld with new people/places just to add some new story lines. When I get bored I switch over to one of the other characters to try something new. I don't feel like I HAVE to play my main family all the time. I go back to them often, because I enjoy them- but its fun to mix it up with some of the other characters and try out different story lines/careers or what not. I try to avoid cheats when I can- because I like having the challenge of building up money from nothing, or building skills, while trying to get my sim well fed/with enough sleep and make it to work on time. I enjoy the time management side of the game. That being said- when time gets away from me, cheats are my best friend. If you are bored- I guess I just think its time to switch it up. Maybe try to be less lazy on a fresh sim for a bit- give yourself the struggle of time restraints and a broke sim. The challenge may make it less boring for you for a bit.
  • Options
    LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    I can definitely relate to this! For some reason, I have a habit of playing the same exact story every time... lol The only difference is I have more content and features to play with every time I redo it... but that still doesn't change the fact that I'm essentially playing the same exact story in the long run.

However, lately I've been coming up with new ways to twist things up (like changing my Sims' hair colors, eye colors, traits, and just overall personalities). I'm also trying new careers I've never done before (like doctor, writer, etc). Trying out new aspirations is also a good way to prevent boredom too. Try stepping out of your comfort zone for a change. It really helps. I know it can be hard sometimes, but it can end up being really fun as well!
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Options
    Kayla03cassidyKayla03cassidy Posts: 1 New Member
    Believe me I love my sims but I do get kinda bored after awhile. I just wish I had someone to talk to about my love for sims lol, so if anyone wants to talk about the sims hmu
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I can definitely relate to this! For some reason, I have a habit of playing the same exact story every time... lol The only difference is I have more content and features to play with every time I redo it... but that still doesn't change the fact that I'm essentially playing the same exact story in the long run.

However, lately I've been coming up with new ways to twist things up (like changing my Sims' hair colors, eye colors, traits, and just overall personalities). I'm also trying new careers I've never done before (like doctor, writer, etc). Trying out new aspirations is also a good way to prevent boredom too. Try stepping out of your comfort zone for a change. It really helps. I know it can be hard sometimes, but it can end up being really fun as well!

I can definitely relate here. Aside from killing off the same Sim and playing with Vampire powers, I pretty much don't inject any mean/rude drama into my stories because I play the game to escape that kind of drama in real life and it would just make me uncomfortable to have that in my game. I do like disaster related drama though. But yeah, I sorta do the same thing you do by changing out some traits to liven things up a bit.
    I've tried playing families too, but I've yet to have a family that I'm completely comfortable playing in the long term. I'm sorry if I sound so picky, but those are great ideas.
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    @Kayla03cassidy join one of the many sims groups on facebook lol :D
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member

I have to agree. This along with lack of attraction system and likes/dislikes can make the game less chaotic and random, which can cause it to become stale.
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @AshtontoAshton22 My Sims sometimes start feeling bland to me. What I do is keep different Save files per challenge. I have 100 Baby Challenge in it's on Save, Not So Berry in a Save, & Pinstar's original legacy challenge in a Save. & then my other Save where I play rotational. So I honestly either rotate between Saves depending on who I'm in the mood to play or rotate between households in my rotational play.

I get bored easily, so rotating between different challenges or storylines helps me keep things fresh and interesting. & then my rotational play, same thing; definitely keeps things interesting rotating between households.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

I am the Narrator in my Sims game, so fun, or drama happens or a new puppy, even a breakup. I say just keep it fun, and have your Sims your way. :) As much as I would like it to the game will not play itself.

I have about 20 families, My favorite ones are a Couple that lives in a big farmhouse and have a huge Greenhouse, with everything.64/64 They have two large dogs, and two cats one cat was a stray that I adopted, that was not easy. I adore the whole family.

My other favorite family is one that I moved from SL to Sims 4. It took me a long time to make them look the same but I have, and they live on a block with everything right around them that they had in SL. No pets in that family, I like to keep it real and as they were in that other world.

I love my Famous Sims in Del Sol I have 3 famous families.

My next favorite family is a father that is a wealthy widower with two daughters of his own age 7. He adopted a teen cleptomaniac. She is a sweet girl just she hides her ways well.

I just made two more families, both are single women with dogs, One live underground in a quirky house. The other one lives in a small city cottage that is well cared for.
    I had no plans to make these Sims or the homes. It's just the way the game goes for me. They both have aggressive dogs, and Soon drama over the same man. 😍

In my game when a Sims family have kids and if I allow the kids to grow up get married or move out, I click their parents off from being one of my family's that way they are still in the game. I like to keep the grandparents, aunts, uncles around even old friends. for parties, and holidays. No Death in my Game fun and drama I find to be more fun.

I do like to do random builds in-game, sometimes I even share on the gallery. Mostly if I get bored or if my Sims gets on my nerves I just cause lots of Drama in their lives. or a New baby. When I am done raising a new toddler, I am happy just for the peace. haha 😂
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Rotational play pretty much saves me from getting bored with my sims. I don't follow a schedule so I can leave them until I have fresh ideas for them.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    When I get bored, I start a new save, new family, or play a different game entirely.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Ok folks I think this thread has run its course I've gone ahead and closed it out at the OP's request.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top