Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would You Buy A Farming EP

Comments

• Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    Yes. I need farms in my game no matter what it comes with.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    The poll specifies EP, which is why I said maybe. EP's aren't cheap, and if that was the whole point of the EP I'm not sure what would all be included to make it worth the price tag. I've read many threads where people list all kinds of ideas for farming in the game, and even if every single one of the ideas I've ever seen was implemented, that still wouldn't be worth EP prices to me.

Now if the poll were about a GP, I'd have voted Yes. I'd buy a farming GP without hesitation.

That's part of the reason I made this poll. I wanted to know if there was really enough interest to make a farming expansion pack a possibility.

As for content, just the farm animals alone would probably push it into EP territory (Look at Cats and Dogs). But I think if they fleshed it out with hobbies, a nice rural world, a farmers market, and maybe off the grid gameplay (not to mention a nice selection of rustic CAS and Build and Buy items) there would be enough included to warrant it being an EP.

If it was a GP, which farming feature would you like to see them expand on?
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    No. It doesn’t fit my playing style.
    I said no, but I also said no about Cats and Dogs and bought it because of Brant and Brent, so if they do something like that I might consider it. Otherwise there's already gardening in the game, I'm not sure what a farm pack would do that would be different.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Maybe. But only if it comes with...
    @rememberjoy it is highly unlikely farm animals would be developed even remotely to the level that cats and dogs are. They would be more like objects than members of the household so have a much lower overhead in terms of development.

I'd be very disappointed if the didn't do it this way...you can't have a 'farm' EP and then make the farm animals so complex per animal that you only can have a couple of them without hitting household limit (or performance impact)...farms have many animals, not just a few.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Much of the content is based around suburbia (with the trek into urban life with CL and to a lesser extent Get Famous). I would love to have a pack that revolved around rural life. A world with mainly 40x30 lots and up in size, maybe a few 30x20s for commercial venues (one reason I want an EP is we could get a larger world). I loved the farm objects in the Sims 3 Store and would enjoy having that content in Sims 4 (tractor, cows, chickens).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    This would be a definite aid to me as I play my ancestral game save. My 7th great-grandfathers and my 6th great-grandfather were all planters.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    orangehippogrifforangehippogriff Posts: 946 Member
    I kinda wish I could take my answer back and change it to yes, because honestly, I buy everything for the sims 4 sooner or later. But I chose the maybe option because I would love it even more if it had off the grid, sustainable living gameplay included. That would be a near perfect expansion for me.
  • Options
    americanamelieamericanamelie Posts: 36 Member
    I was just thinking it would be great to have a farmer's market in the sims. I would get a farm ep if that was an option. I also like a rural country side neighborhood idea. I have made a few farm houses in game and could finally have a place for them.
  • Options
    @rememberjoy it is highly unlikely farm animals would be developed even remotely to the level that cats and dogs are. They would be more like objects than members of the household so have a much lower overhead in terms of development.

I'd be very disappointed if the didn't do it this way...you can't have a 'farm' EP and then make the farm animals so complex per animal that you only can have a couple of them without hitting household limit (or performance impact)...farms have many animals, not just a few.

No, they probably wouldn't be as complicated as cats and dogs are (unless they add horses which I doubt they would), but most people want multiple types of farm animals I don't think they could justify adding them to a game pack. It's all the new animations they would have that would add up quickly. Not to mention most people also want nector making, canning, and maybe even yarn spinning and butter churning. That would be a lot of new animations as well.

I'm not sure what their criteria is for GP vs EP, but (in my personal opinion) if they're going to do farming Justice, it's going to need to be an EP.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Definitely! I grew up on a farm and it would be fun reliving those days through my Sims. I only hope it has canning, making jams/jellies, perhaps a freezer object and new gardening plants such as sweet corn, peach and orange trees, cucumbers (bonus if we could make dill pickles), and pumpkins (with a new pumpkin pie recipe) for one thing!

It would be cool also if it came with chickens that lay eggs our Sims could use in recipes! Oh, and I would hope they'd update to include the ability for kids to garden in the pack. I'm a bit mystified why that wasn't allowed right from the beginning. Would be fun if the pack included rabbits, skunks and even deer that might get in and eat your garden/crops if you didn't fence it in too! And a juicer would be nice as well!

Okay, I'll stop. I could go on and on with my ideas/wishes for a Farming pack, but that's another subject. I'd buy a pack like this though no matter what it came with because I know I'd enjoy it and use it in all my saves somehow. I say bring it on Maxis! Please? <3
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    The poll specifies EP, which is why I said maybe. EP's aren't cheap, and if that was the whole point of the EP I'm not sure what would all be included to make it worth the price tag. I've read many threads where people list all kinds of ideas for farming in the game, and even if every single one of the ideas I've ever seen was implemented, that still wouldn't be worth EP prices to me.

Now if the poll were about a GP, I'd have voted Yes. I'd buy a farming GP without hesitation.

That's part of the reason I made this poll. I wanted to know if there was really enough interest to make a farming expansion pack a possibility.

As for content, just the farm animals alone would probably push it into EP territory (Look at Cats and Dogs). But I think if they fleshed it out with hobbies, a nice rural world, a farmers market, and maybe off the grid gameplay (not to mention a nice selection of rustic CAS and Build and Buy items) there would be enough included to warrant it being an EP.

If it was a GP, which farming feature would you like to see them expand on?

If it were a GP then I'd like to see the animal husbandry part expanded on, although it would be nice to have more crops, they would just grow similarly to what we have now. Animal husbandry could be using, as I alluded to and others expanded on, having animals such as pigs, cows, chickens, goats and sheep tied to a buyable object with some type of but minimal animations autonomously, yet would have more interaction animations. Sorry that was a huge run on sentence lol. Horses though I'd definitely like to see them do a little more than just that, even if not as fleshed out as they were in Sims 3. Obviously the animals you wouldn't butcher them, but they all provide other uses, even pigs - they can hunt truffles.

As an EP though you could have both the animal husbandry, more crops and gardening options and items such as tractors, and you could also incorporate more rustic, western and off the grid build/buy objects.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I really don't see a theme like this holding my interest at all. I already think they've spent too much development time on food-related features. But that's because I honestly don't care what my Sims eat or how they get their food. For me, hunger is just an obstacle that gets in the way of doing more interesting things, lol. So of course, a pack that revolves around the entire food creation and preparation process isn't going to be to my liking.

But you never know. I had no interest in celebrities either but Get Famous turned out to have some content that I really enjoy. :)
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Depends on the detail put on the animals if they are all like the hamster/bassinet I'd pass.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

No, they probably wouldn't be as complicated as cats and dogs are (unless they add horses which I doubt they would), but most people want multiple types of farm animals I don't think they could justify adding them to a game pack. It's all the new animations they would have that would add up quickly. Not to mention most people also want nector making, canning, and maybe even yarn spinning and butter churning. That would be a lot of new animations as well.

I'm not sure what their criteria is for GP vs EP, but (in my personal opinion) if they're going to do farming Justice, it's going to need to be an EP.

We're going to need a world with several large lots, which would probably require EP budget to design/develop. I should install @icemunmun Canning mod and take a look at animations -- could be she adapted some of the cooking animations for the canning. Nectar maker would mainly be the produce-stomping animation, then a machine to suck up the crushed goods and make the nectar.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    CXonor13CXonor13 Posts: 666 Member
    A Farming EP... now that's a choice in my opinion.

I remember owning both the Sims 3 Store farming pack and the bohemian garden pack way back when it was released, and they had substance for a store pack I'll give them that, but to drag that out along with nectar making and make it into an EP, I just do not see the substance. I find it to be, like occults, a very niche addition, but unlike occult gameplay which tends to add spice and excitement, "farming" is probably the blandest addition that you could think of.

Then the animal husbandry element, they would most likely be confined to an object much like the pack in TS3. Sure they'd have animations, but I can't see them having any more depth than just animations, they'd just be larger versions of the small animals from the stuff pack that shall not be named. I've also seen people say that horses should be added along with the pack, and I just can't see it working. The whole appeal of horses from TS3 was that you could ride them around the neighborhood freely. If they were to be added in TS4, again, I see them being confined to stables for the majority of the time, and I don't know about you, but I don't want a horsey battery farm. That and the fact that gardening was overhauled massively in Seasons, where I can farm crops as they are and have the ability to sell them, all without the need of a farming EP.

I just can't see it being worth the price as an EP unless you are really into it, and honestly if I want a farming game, I'll play Stardew Valley. I think it would work better as a GP, where you are in a world with a few larger lots, I think about 4 to be honest due to the size of the lots needed. About 2 or 3 new skills, with Animal Husbandry and Nectar Making as the obvious two. The livestock confined to cages objects and some of the typical additions, like new recipes etc. They've turned it out before with Jungle Adventure and that fabulous world, I can't see how they wouldn't be able to do farming justice too, but like Jungle Adventure, I feel that farming would be a very "been there, done that" addition that would have little to no impact on the overall game with only one or two aspects bleeding through, compared to all EP's released thus far, which have all influenced the main gameplay substantially.

TL;DR:
    tenor.gif?itemid=6197495
    Ci7abDw.png
  • Options
    FrancescaThonaFrancescaThona Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes, I like that more than the "city packs". :smile:
  • Options
    IreneLudwigIreneLudwig Posts: 125 Member
    I'd love to have a farming EP! Especially if it comes with new hobbies and skills.
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    My initial thoughts are that farming doesn't really interest me, especially not for an EP, but I may be swayed, particularly if it comes with a nice world, new skills or horses and other farm animals.
  • Options
    CXonor13 wrote: »
    I feel that farming would be a very "been there, done that" addition that would have little to no impact on the overall game with only one or two aspects bleeding through, compared to all EP's released thus far, which have all influenced the main gameplay substantially.

While several of the EP have indeed changed the game in big ways (Seasons, Get Together), I can think of at least two that where more confined to the new world we got with the pack (Cats & Dogs, City Living).

Farming is definitely not for everyone, but there are many people who would find value in it's inclusion in the game. I personally enjoy playing survival and live off the land type games, and a farming pack would give me so much my more to work with.

Of course not everyone is going to agree or enjoy the same type of content and I appreciate you sharing your perspective.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    There could be more choices such as
    Forestry such as woodcutters to bring home or sell logs for fuel, (useful in a Magic Pack)!
    Wool activities for the sheep farms, spindles, making clothes to sell in the markets.
    Rice paddies for the Asian countries,
    Markets,
    Sheepdog trials,
    Agricultural colleges to educate and work yourself up the farming ladder so that you could take over the Farming world.
    Barns and wallpaper and doors to match.

I can imagine a lot of extra things that could be done. My imagination flies when considering it - but maybe Maxis are hamstrung by a lack of it, or money and staff to accomplish it.

I don't play Stardew Valley and don't want to go elsewhere for my playing enjoyment. EA should take on the competition. :)

(Of course they could always include gambling - My great, great, grandfather lost his own farm through it and landed his family in the Workhouse)!
  • Options
    IndigoGreeneIndigoGreene Posts: 49 Member
    I would only be interested in a farm pack if it had a large world, brought back some of the gameplay from TS3 Pets and had farm animals that weren't just 'objects'.

Appaloosa Plains was one of my favourite neighbourhoods to play in and I would love another world like this. Brindleton Bay is kind of like this but, like all the TS4, it's small.

I would also love Horses to come back with barns etc. and the ability to breed animals and sell them/buy them from your neighbours. But, I feel this is unlikely to happen.

Other than that, I'm not sure what a TS4 farming pack would look like... vehicles such as tractors are not going to happen because we don't even have cars and we already have pretty expanded 'gardening' options from Seasons. The only thing really missing from TS4 to make farms would be farm animals and I doubt they would make a pack just about those... I could be wrong though.

If the farm animals are similar to how horses worked in TS3, I would love that - even if they aren't technically part of your household it would be awesome to ride horses again and interact with cows, pigs and chickens freely. I would hate for them to be like the babies and just be objects you interact with whilst they're stuck in a pen... if they do bring farm animals in and they are like that I think I'd give it a miss.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I wouldn't say that I 'need' farming in my game, but it would give my families more to do. I can't imagine any reason I wouldn't pre-order this one, and it would add more to my game play than a vacation or romance pack. Probably the only condition I'd have would be that kids would have to be able to help with the crops and animals.

I do think most of the animals would have to be objects. I agree that horses should be more like pets, however. I'm actually more interested in the crops - it would be fun if you could do more than just harvest and sell them. As someone suggested, it would be fun if you could use the crops to make other things, like spin cotton for use on a loom and can edibles. I'm sort of obsessed with gardening in the game, anyway.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    None of the poll options really cut it for me. Yes, I would most likely buy it, but not because I desperately need farming in my game. I didn't desperately need fame either, but it's still nice to have, so I got it on sale.

If farming becomes a thing, I'll probably go about it the same way as with fame, vet clinics, and other niche features: A few of my sims will have it, but for the rest I'll just use the other stuff that comes with the pack (CAS, B&B, world - there has to be a new world in a farming pack, right?).
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I dunno.

Do you think they will include horses?
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I don't know which is why I didn't vote. Farming in a weird way does sound interesting but it really depends on how they implement it. I really want my sims to be able to make a living farming. Everything from farmers Markets to selling goods to wholesale distributors to the local grocery store. I would also love it Grocery stores were added to the game and they sold stuff like Eggs, Flour, Cheese, Meats, Cartons of Milk, animal feed, etc. I also had a slaughterhouse idea where you can send your animals off and get meats mailed back to you...LOL It has to be more than caring for animals for me to be interested. I want my animals to reproduce because it it more money for my Sims and how I keep the farm going.

My heart is really set on a tropical destination pack with the addition of suntanning(missed in seasons), lounge chairs and more water activities like floaters, water volley ball, marco polo and please add swimming in the ocean and hotels. My sims need a real honeymoon destination. If they implemented the above in a farming pack, I would buy it for sure.
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    I absolutely would buy it! I think it would be really fun.