Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited January 2019
    Hey everyone. I didn't post a chapter pic or anything because I forgot but chapter 2 of Shine Bright came out on Wednesday. :)
    https://bugsiestoryindex.wordpress.com/2019/01/09/chapter-2-dropping-it/
  • Options
    squirrelwithacupsquirrelwithacup Posts: 10,475 Member
    Hey everyone! The next chapter of Nightshade is out and you can read it here!
    37oYgl3.png
    Nightshade: A Simlit || Blogspot || Forum Thread
    See exclusive content and stay updated about Nightshade on my Instagram page!
  • Options
    MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    So I've been thinking about asking this for a while.

What does everyone think about using curse words/vulgar language in stories? Do you get turned off by it?

I'm asking, because I am currently re reading (slightly editing) my story from chapter one and I realized that a few of the characters curse alot :D . Do you think it ruins the story?

I use curse words, because I think it's realistic (also IRL I curse every 5 mintues lol......sorry I am Italian lol) . so yeah just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this.

I think your story and characters require curse words and off-color language. It would feel inauthentic if they didn't. Your characters, some of them, can also be mean and gossipy, but again , that's integral and authentic.

Just keep doing what you're doing. You've got a great story and you're telling it well. Those who are put off by the language will likely be put off by the characters, setting, and actions, too, so just keep writing as the story demands and let your readers self-select.

Create that world, through character, language, action, and setting !

Agreed! Use language as appropriate to your characters and their situations.

So far, my story has mainly surrounded a growing family, so it's been G-rated, but one of my recent chapters had suggestive themes and some stronger language. I included a warning line at the top to let people know, even though it was maybe a 14A chapter (e.g. not R-rated or anything that serious!) because it was a change compared to my normal kid-friendly content :sweat_smile: .

I have 0 problems with swearing in SimLit, especially if you include a note on your website homepage to let people know it will "include strong language" or "mature themes" or however you'd like to word it. I swear rather liberally in real life, even though none of my characters do (yet?). If it's only once in a while, I'd disclose per chapter. But if it's throughout, like yours, I'd just put a note on the homepage or sidebar or something and not worry about whatever content I felt fit for the next chapter.
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • Options
    MorningstarMorningstar Posts: 318 Member
    Speaking of my story I'm already behind again :cry: Ch 16 was supposed to come out Thursday but it's nearly Saturday in my time zone :tongue: It's a long chapter and I ended up being so busy this week :cry:

Off I go to work on it :sweat_smile: wish me luck
    From the town's first community lot to each household and rabbit hole, watch the stories unfold...
    Rebuilding Appaloosa Plains
    Prologue & Chapters 1-18 out now!
    Origin ID: Mourning-Stars | Simming since 2000
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    Speaking of my story I'm already behind again :cry: Ch 16 was supposed to come out Thursday but it's nearly Saturday in my time zone :tongue: It's a long chapter and I ended up being so busy this week :cry:

Off I go to work on it :sweat_smile: wish me luck

i've been on be for ............ a year i think its rotational this time so i kept forgetting ayden.

don't tell him i said that if the save breaks i have to start over. he usually breaks it right befor he would meet the gr.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    What kind of (outrageous) sentence should America (Supposedly) be sentence too?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    painted_dreams87painted_dreams87 Posts: 93 Member
    I'm breaking down on my vanilla game play style. I've read up on Command Center after hearing so much about it, and I think I'm going to try it. I'd love my NPC Sims to progress to add more life to my story. I'm just trying to figure out where to start with getting the mod installed now. It's a bit overwhelming with so many links and versions. :#
  • Options
    @painted_dreams87 Pm Me so I can see if I can help.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    @painted_dreams87 actually there's only one current version, the 6.0.1 on this page https://deaderpool-mccc.com/#/releases
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    Has anyone been able to get the woohoo Pat of Mcc to work? While we're talking about it. The one that says it's current for me has been popping up a notification in game to say that it isn't current.
  • Options
    Thank you @MadameLee for all your help!

Thank you @DeiraShadeweaver for the tip!

I was able to get the mod installed and settings set. I didn't have time to play test it last night, but I will today. Everything seems to be working though.

@Shadami I'm afraid I'm no help there. I didn't install that one.
  • Options
    mamasquirrelmamasquirrel Posts: 2,065 Member
    I hope everyone is doing well. I have decided to not do 2 Nutty Squirrels Simlit at this time. I will be introducing my line of short stories. I will post more on the details later. Have a good day everyone!
    yXW40Hz.png?1
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    I'm breaking down on my vanilla game play style. I've read up on Command Center after hearing so much about it, and I think I'm going to try it. I'd love my NPC Sims to progress to add more life to my story. I'm just trying to figure out where to start with getting the mod installed now. It's a bit overwhelming with so many links and versions. :#

this made me laugh before the lounge i had a vanilla game. but i kept hearing about mc and after a while i caved. i blamed peer pressure. lol
  • Options
    superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Here's the new chapter of the Keen Legacy. Let me know any thoughts you may have!
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • Options
    anyone have any outrageous sentence to oppose on America for the supposedly theft?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Same @friendsfan367 ! I want to keep my game as "vanilla" as possible, but the lack of story progression for Melody's friends in the city was getting to be a little disappointing. Here she's trying to grow and change, and her friend is still the exact same. :/

Tough call on an outrageous sentence, @MadameLee . Off the top of my head, I think some ridiculous punishments for theft could be having to cut your hair (maybe too much out of place in a story though), only allowed to eat one specific food for a month, have to work a ton of hours to "pay back" society, or stuck wearing a "uniform" for a month. I don't know if those are helpful or not, but I thought I'd share in case something helps or gives you some inspiration.
  • Options
    @painted_dreams87 she's already had her hair cut and been forced to wear two different uniforms when she was stuck being a servant in her ex-bouyfriend's parents' house.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    @MadameLee True. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here but so far nothing else has come to mind.

The mods I installed work perfectly! I'm loving them already. :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    new chapter!
    [URL=http://wwwswansonslegacy.blogspot.com/2019/01/interlude-david-learning-swanson-history.htmlYjkcyN.jpg[/URL]

Please if you read this chapter please tell me in comments on the blog or else where (here or on my thread) if the story wasn't too confusing in this chapter
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Acarb90Acarb90 Posts: 608 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Acarb90 wrote: »
    So I've been thinking about asking this for a while.

What does everyone think about using curse words/vulgar language in stories? Do you get turned off by it?

I'm asking, because I am currently re reading (slightly editing) my story from chapter one and I realized that a few of the characters curse alot :D . Do you think it ruins the story?

I use curse words, because I think it's realistic (also IRL I curse every 5 mintues lol......sorry I am Italian lol) . so yeah just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this.

I think your story and characters require curse words and off-color language. It would feel inauthentic if they didn't. Your characters, some of them, can also be mean and gossipy, but again , that's integral and authentic.

Just keep doing what you're doing. You've got a great story and you're telling it well. Those who are put off by the language will likely be put off by the characters, setting, and actions, too, so just keep writing as the story demands and let your readers self-select.

Create that world, through character, language, action, and setting !

Thank you!!

And yeah it is authentic I guess lol. A group of twenty something's in an urban setting definitely use foul language every once in a while.

THIRTYT(2).png
  • Options
    SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    edited January 2019
    Passing by to say hi, Lounguers! I hope everyone is doing great. :)I this lame? I just fell like saying something in here but I didn't know what
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Sourocha wrote: »
    Passing by to say hi, Lounguers! I hope everyone is doing great. :)I this lame? I just fell like saying something in here but I didn't know what

Not lame at all! Good morning!
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    Sourocha wrote: »

Happy Timezones! :) (I would say good afternoon because its 4pm here but you know, some people are still on their morning.)
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    It's noon thirty here but I just woke up. So good morning xD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top